Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-30-2008, 07:11 AM

Another vote for Fish Tales in Avenida Mall near Macleod and Anderson. (just south of the car dealerships and in the same area as the Holiday Inn and Tim Hortons etc) The guy to see is David Blair. I believe they will also offer classes. Great guy to deal with.

http://www.fishtales.ca/

A few years back my wife and I took lessons from Jim and Lynda McLennan and would recommend them. His books are well worth picking up.

http://www.mclennanflyfishing.com/

Last edited by Duk Dog; 01-30-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:54 AM

Well is their any single young fly fisherman in calgary..........here is your chance to help out a young lady........take here and help her out with getting the right fly rod for her and teaching her how to cast...........i know when i started teaching my youngest how to fly fish we borrowed the school gym a few times to cast in....worked great just had make sure no barb on the end of the hook.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:01 PM

wouldn't be afraid to by a temple fork, great rod for the price and for $20 you get a new one if you break it, yes it does happen and no fly rods aren't like ugly sticks. I've broke them pulling on snags, tailgate, etc. The course Pearl mentioned would be a great start. It is tough to get the hang of and fly fishing is much different in terms of presentation and technique, but it is much more fun and lots of cool gadgets you don't get with spinning. Lots of great places to learn around Calgary, bow is tough yes, highwood, sheep, elbow
Old 01-30-2008, 01:52 PM

hey mish, check out the flyfish calgary message board. lots of excellent people willing to share info and more than willing to take you out to show you the ropes. post your original message there and you'll get advice from some really dedicated and friendly fly anglers. one other thing is to not be swayed by peoples opinions on brands and makes of gear. find something you like and that works for you and you'll be just fine. i own a temple forks rod and i love it and you wont necessarily break your first rod, just be careful, ive fished for almost 20 years and ive only ever broken 1 rod in my life and it was an expensive spinning rod so just go for it and have fun. i love to flyfish and if you have any specific questions i will try to answer as best as i can. good luck

M
Old 01-30-2008, 03:26 PM

Thank you for all the replies everyone! I will check out the fly fishing board, as several people have suggested it. I'm looking into courses and such but money is a bit tight right now. At least I have another couple months to save up! I'm extremely excited about taking up fly fishing and all your comments have made me even more determined to learn. Thank you again
Old 01-30-2008, 03:30 PM

Once you fly fish there ain't no goin back.