Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-01-2012, 01:28 PM

Default First boating/fishing trip father & daughter at lac St. Anne Sat Sept 29

My 3 year old daughter and I went to Lac St. Anne on Saturday.

I have done a little fishing with her from time to time at the Beaumont Pond and Hermitage Pond. Our fishing trips were usually cut short by playground time or her thinking that she can spear fish with her rod. hahaha I wanted to take her out on a boating/fishing trip before it was too cold.

We started the morning off at the fishing hole to pick up some medium sized minnows. As my daughter was in about 10 feet behind me I turn around and see her say "ohh... pink... pretty..." and she B-lines it to behind some clothing. Thinking I have lost her in some clothing for a while, she emerges 30 seconds later with a Dora The Explorer fishing tackle box. I figured since she did not have a tackle box, and she is Dora's number 1 fan... why not. I decided I will also pick out some jigs to start her off. At this point I will let her pick out what she wants for her collection. As we approach the till we are stopped at this pack of medium sized (can't remember the weight) pink Jigs. My daughter stops in her tracks and says "ohh.. Pink.. Pretty...". I think, "ok. Lets pick these up, it matches the rest of your pink outfit and fishing theme you've got going on. I don't think these will work well for catching fish but why not! It makes you happy and I'm not going to ruin this for you!"

At Lac St. Anne.. The weather was a little windy and waves were choppy. That didn’t stop us from having a fun time. It took us a little longer to get to our spot and anchor in about 15 feet of water.

After 45 min of jigging with my yellow jig with a twin tail and a minnow set up and no bites, my daughter wanted to switch from her "Twinkle Twinkle" lure to her new "pretty jigs and a minnow". After switching the hardware and three casts later, she decided she wanted twinkle twnikle back. I installed her twinkle twinkle back on her rod and decided to switch my jig set up to my daughters new “ohhh pretty” jig with a minnow. With in 2 minutes I caught the first pike. 5 min later I caught the second pike. Both pikes were approx 27-30 inches long. I am starting to be convinced that what a toddler is attracted to for fishing lures/jigs are what fish will be attracted to….

My daughter is decked out in her Dora life jacket, Dora fishing rod, New Dora tackle box, and the lucky pony.

During our 2 hours there I received quite the education on ponies, princesses, pumpkin noises, fish calls and became well versed with “Twinkle Twinkle little star” No spear fishing tactics were deployed during this trip.

My daughter is definitely on board with heading out again. The first trip was a success and incident free!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lily8.jpg (29.0 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Lily9.jpg (26.8 KB, 189 views)
Old 10-01-2012, 01:29 PM

A few more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lily10.jpg (20.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Lily12.jpg (24.8 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Lily6.jpg (23.4 KB, 132 views)
Old 10-01-2012, 01:36 PM

haha aww! She looks so excited! Great story and nice fish
Old 10-01-2012, 04:28 PM

Can't put a price on time with kids, as mine get older and start to talk about memories I'm amazed the best ones, usually involve the least money, and the most time. Stuff we put a lot of money into, a lot of the time is not even on the radar.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 PM

Haha. Fish calling. Thats a good one. Kids do come up with great stuff.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:25 PM

Nice! Cant wait to take my little guy out... Hes only 6 months old though, might be a while... Lol
Old 10-01-2012, 06:22 PM

Thumbs up

Awesome!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:49 PM

Looks like a great time. My daughter is 3 and just loves fishing, she has a princess rod and dora life jacket. You really do get educated about ponies and princesses eh? Also my daughters hook selections at wabamun was very successful......all pink of course (with the odd purple thrown in).

I hope thats the first of many trips with your daughter.

Chris
Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 PM

Default first boating/fishing

I'm glad you guys had a great time. Don't ever forget them, because they grow up so fast. I remember the great trips I had with my daughters. Now they are grown up and gone from home, but I will always have those memories. I hope you two have many more days like this one.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:47 PM

Default Right on man

Its great getting them hook on fishing. We do a father daughter drag some friends along trip every year. She boated her 200th untagged NSR sturgeon this year.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 PM

Congrats on getting some nice fish. Nice job taking the little one out.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:04 PM

Awsome.......just.........AWSOME!!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
^^^This

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 10-02-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
X3 and hey dont knock fish calling, works for me

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-02-2012, 09:17 AM

Love the story.... Coulda been me with my girls .... Can't wait for my first outing with my oldest girl.... X2 on pink hardware haha

And x2 on calling fish .... Don't knock it till u try it
Old 10-02-2012, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I wouldn't have traded that day or experience for anything.

I plan to take her out on a few other trips and a few over night camping trips next year.

I'm looking at taking her ice fishing this year too. I think it would be something she might like. I'll be keeping an eye out for a 2 person ice fishing tent. . That should be big enough for my daughter, her collection of ponies, princesses, and myself.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 PM

Aww! She looks like she had a lot of fun! Gotta love those little ones! I took my Neice out and she wanted to put a minnow in the pike's mouth before releasing it because she felt like we teased it with the lure. I told her it would hunt and find food on it's own but for the next hour all I heard was 'Why can't we just put a minnow in a fish's mouth so he can eat it when we put him back?' I kept coming up with reasons why we couldn't but those weren't cutting it. I was so glad we didn't catch a second fish. Haha!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:47 PM

i find that perch/trout pond fishing is the best with kids cause it allows them to catch one fast then they are more motivated and want to keep fishing for more.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:14 PM

im only 18 and this is one of the things im looking forward to the most about the future. if we dont show the upcoming generations the pleasures of being in the outdoors then our kids and thier kids eventually wont know what a trout or pike or even what a bait minnow look like. i know i still remember the first time my dad took me fishing, and its one of the best memories i have.i know i wouldnt be the same person if he wouldnt have taken me out to the lake. i think the best thing anyone can ever do is what you have done here. definite props man.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:59 PM

Default RE

Just awesome quality time with family, Thanks for sharing pic's.