Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-28-2009, 03:49 AM

Default Ice Fishing Rivers

Hey guys, I'm up in the NWT for Christmas, and although I probably won't get to do any fishing, I'm curious, what's the best way to ice fish a river? I've seen people punching holes, but haven't had the chance to get down there and do much chatting yet. Went down and investigated yesterday when the sun was out, looks like they're using shrimp and liver...punching 6" holes. Asked a kid what they fish for, he said, "Wash, they look like eels". I only ever see people down there at night, so my best guess is they're fishing for ling.

Bring on the hard water!!
Old 12-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Banned

your not allowed to fish moving water in the winter, in alberta. But ya ling are what most people fish for in the moving water. they school up pretty good in the holes
Old 12-28-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
your not allowed to fish moving water in the winter, in alberta. But ya ling are what most people fish for in the moving water. they school up pretty good in the holes
I always thought you could ice fish rivers in Alberta unless they held trout, I guess you can learn something new everyday.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:37 AM

Well, I'm in the Northwest Territories right now. I'll check the regs here.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:37 PM

We have tried it in the lower bow before for pike caught a few but need weight to get ur bait to the bottom.Got a 21lber before. Be careful u fall thru in a river ur a goner current carrys u under ice.
I know be lots ice there Mish in the nwt.

Last edited by cujo1969; 12-28-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: adding
Old 12-28-2009, 09:36 PM

Haha, yeah, where people are fishing, you're still in sight of open water. Them Northern boys are brave.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
This is not correct. This is true only for Zone 1 (East Slopes).
Old 12-29-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izumi View Post
This is not correct. This is true only for Zone 1 (East Slopes).
Really?? I am just getting into ice fishn this year and don't think I would try this unless I knew the ice was extremely thick everyewhere around me and even then, I think I'd tie a long rope from a sturdy tree on shore and attach to my waist on the other end just in case
Seriously though, I have always been told this is a no no. Not because it is illegal but because of the dangers involved. Does it say it's legal in the regs Albertadiver?? I believe you, am just curious where in the regs it mentions this. I would think the Bow would be tent city around Calgary?
Good luck out there Mish, let us know all about it when u do make it out
Stay safe all
Old 12-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Banned

It is not illegal province wide. That law is more to protect thetrout streams where winter holding water is scarce and the population could be severely impacted. I always thought it was illegal too untill I read a story In a fishing magazine (I think it was probably AO) where a bunch of guys fished the lower athabasca through the ice and had good luck. After checking the regs I fished the Slave River through the ice and caught pike and walleye, its a different game than fishing lakes and I have not done enough of it to be concistant at it but heres what I've found:

Best rigs to use are a heavily weighted pickerel rig or a heavy jigging spoon such as a buzz bomb. These fish are not moving around alot so the placement of your holes is crucial, a mere five feet can make all the difference between getting skunked and having a great day. Since what you are looking for (current edges I think) can not be pinpointed with a fish finder you just have to drill a ton of holes and try them all. Most of all... BE CAREFULL. I'm not one to worry about much in the outdoors, usualy I'm the guy teasing my buddy who worrys about bears, wearing a life jacket, doesnt want me running rappids standing up in a canoe etc. But I am scared sh*tless of falling through the ice on a river.The ice thickness changes pretty drasticly and if theres much current you wont be resurfacing where you went through, the idea of being swept under the ice and drowning while trying to claw my way through the ice doesnt sit well with me. I drill a hole probably every 3 or four steps if I'm not intimatly aquanted with the particular hole I'm fishing.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Really?? I am just getting into ice fishn this year and don't think I would try this unless I knew the ice was extremely thick everyewhere around me and even then, I think I'd tie a long rope from a sturdy tree on shore and attach to my waist on the other end just in case
Seriously though, I have always been told this is a no no. Not because it is illegal but because of the dangers involved. Does it say it's legal in the regs Albertadiver?? I believe you, am just curious where in the regs it mentions this. I would think the Bow would be tent city around Calgary?
Good luck out there Mish, let us know all about it when u do make it out
Stay safe all
If you look at the Zone 1 General Regs you will see

"6. Ice-Fishing: Angling is not permitted through the ice: a) into beaver ponds or b) into flowing waters in Zone 1."

I agree with Cal, the idea of the current taking you under the ice before you get a chance to surface will keep me off the river ice. I hear there are Shanty towns on the rivers in Manitoba.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:12 AM

Hmmm I see I see. So ur saying if I wanted to, I could fish the South Saskatchewan right? Not too many trout in there around here (I've personally never pulled one out or seen one come out of that riv) and all the sturg have moved on. Plenty of Walleye though. Agreed though, the thought of falling through makes it a little intimidating.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:25 AM

Default rivers

remember in the summer where that big, deep, slow eddy of water is on the river? now go punch a couple holes in it and fish it similar to a lake. its really not dangerous if you are over slow water because the ice is thick there , unlike the faster water. bounce a heavier than normal jig off the bottom with a minnow. enjoy. i have caught alot of burbs through river ice.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Banned

I've found some eddys to pretty treacherous. Where the sawridge creek meets the slave for instance. Its a big slow eddy but that thing is a death trap if your not extremely carefull. Whats more is that for no aparent reason the ice conditions can change from trip to trip. Fishing slow water is always a good idea but dont make any assumptions. As for fishing the south saskatchewan like anything else check the regs first.