Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-20-2008, 09:34 PM

Threads get locked because people get all emotional and start making personal attacks , start dictating who should hunt and who should not and start making assumptions about how folks have been raised, start with the name calling etc.

Threads don't get locked if someone presents more than one position in the debate.

Threads get locked when guys can no longer be civil to people who do not share their opinion.

I'm not emotionally attached to any particular method or time to dispatch a fish. Can't say I'd lose any sleep over it. Surprised folks are so worked up over the topic.

Think I'll avoid these ethics issues in the future(along with politics and religion) Folks just get to worked up and the thread always ends up spiraling into a flame war.

I harbor no grudges to the folks who might hold a different point of view on this issue. If we don't stand by our beliefs what is our worth?

This dipsh*t is out of here! Be nice to each other.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
No there isn't except a fish is neither an animal nor a human...
Remember back in school they taught us about the plant kingdom and the animal kingdom. It's been a while since junior high, but I'm pretty sure those were the only two. I'm also pretty sure that fish aren't plants......
Old 01-20-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delburnedave View Post
WTF?? If you have no respect for the animals we pursue, kill and consume then you have no business being out hunting, or fishing for that matter. I'm not suggesting that animals are on the same level as people, but no respect for them? Again....WTF? I'm a little surprised, and disappaointed, at some of the attitudes here.
You have taken my words out of context . I said quote Respect................for the fish? There isn't any. unquote. I didn't say I have no respect for wildlife. I was referring to particular fish or animals. Respect (n) used to convery esteem (upon a person) or respect (tr v) as in respect (stewardship) for wildlife. I dare to say that you are overusing the word respect to convey esteem (or misguided spirituality) on a fish. Knowing this, if you continue to do so, you are placing a fish at the same level as yourself. AR groups use the word respect in the context.....DO NOT INTERFERE (literally) with wildlife. When hunting friendly groups use the word respect we are talking about stewardship over the animals. However, when you are saying it....what are you saying? I hold no animal in esteem yet I have respect for nature, all wildlife being part of it. All this to say your comment to me quote you have no business being out hunting, or fishing unquote............I won't respect that .
Old 01-20-2008, 10:39 PM
Banned

MAN.. I knew it..

I am going to Hell becouse of the way I treat my lobster...
Should I save a seat for any of you fisherman?

Jamie
Old 01-21-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
No there isn't except a fish is neither an animal nor a human...
Pffft. That just blew all of your previous arguments. Good of you to know that they aren't human. Too bad you don't know what an animal is.

Are we to take you seriously now?

Bonk to the head. Make the first one count.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:12 AM

Sounds like a bunch of you will be following the commercial fishing crews around this year with a wooden fish bonker or fillet knife in hand?.
Come on their fish what do you think happens when fished commercially are they individually bonked, slit or neck broken?.

With walleye I still prefer the old break the neck trick in winter and into the truck because I dont like cleaning frozen fish or if in the boat in the summer on a chain then cleaned dead or alive.

Next time I hook a worm, leech or maggot what would be the best way to kill it prior to sticking it?.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
You have taken my words out of context . I said quote Respect................for the fish? There isn't any. unquote. I didn't say I have no respect for wildlife. I was referring to particular fish or animals.
I honestly don't know how else to interperet the statement: "Respect is all about people, not fish or any animal." but if I took it out of context and unwittingly put words in your mouth then you have my apology. Maybe I'm not the new-age deep thinker that some may think, and tend to look at things from a more simplistic point of view.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:33 AM

I am strongly in “the bonk on the head” camp. Whether I am taking Cubs or Beavers or my own children or fishing with others I always strongly advocate killing quickly for moral, ethical and food quality reasons.

I am amazed at how little respect people some people on this board have for proper humane fishing techniques. Have people no sense of shame for letting a fish slowly die? Obviously the fish are not there crying about missing the chance to say goodbye to loved ones so please do not condescend to insulting people's opinions of just plain respect to the animal for a hard fight and an impending dinner by taking away any useless suffering.

Animals including fish do feel pain. Animals need the stimulus for self preservation. If you do not care about needless suffering you are a scary minded person. If you look at any sociological studies on how degenerates and mass murderers start it is with the total disregard for any living creature... First they start with small pets, dog and cats and such and then they are killing your daughter, son, neighbor etc. I am not saying any of you are such a person but why promote the precursor to deviant behavior such as that? To not teach the next generation respect for not only others for life in general you are doing yourself and everyone a grave disservice.

To think anyone can intentionally just stare at a slowly dying animal and not put it out of its misery is ludicrous. So much in fact that some of posts must surely be either trollers or people just looking for a fun fight over something they can not really believe in. Just because you "feel" less for a fish than you would for your favorite dog or cat is a cop out.

Does hunter training not have some instruction on not letting a deer die slowly when wounded? Farmers have always been advocates of the quick kill whether it be horses, cows or what have you. I have great respect for farmers and their morals and values.

If someone does not truly take a step back and see how the compassion plays a factor in not allowing suffering then that person would have some personality issues.

Cheers.

Sun
Old 01-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Banned

These threads never cease to amaze me.

It's such a simple thing. It has nothing to do with fish feeling pain, commercial fishing, or "man's dominion over the animals". It's simple respect, and yes I use that term, and not because I'm "humanizing" animals, but because I value and have consideration for the other creatures of this earth. They are not here simply for my whim and benefit. Perhaps that's a base philosophical difference between some of us here.

This is no way means I'm a card carrying member of PETA, or that I have any problem whatsoever with killing animals for my consumption, because I don't. It just means that I value those animals enough to try and minimize their suffering, especially when that option is readily available to me.

I do agree that as a society we have really lost touch with the source of our food, and the fact that death is involved. I think people should have to tour feed lots and slaughter plants (I have, and I came home with the best chunk of Ribeye steak I've ever eaten. ), they may not take such a negative view of hunting if they had a dose of reality. That being said, it makes no difference to me whether I'm fishing for sport, or I'm starving to death, there is no reason not to act with simple respect for nature.

Waxy
Old 01-21-2008, 09:59 AM

Oh just about forgot when out halibut fishing we shoot the big boys. OOPs
ok never caught one big enough to shoot but if I do I will
Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
They are not here simply for my whim and benefit. Perhaps that's a base philosophical difference between some of us here.
I suspect that some people have been told all their lives that God says they aren't animals (we're "above" all the animals...try telling that to the worms that will eat you when you are dead) and that all the animals are here for us to do whatever we want.

Tough to get around that one with some people.

Scary too.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:10 AM

its really quite simple when you think about it. You cast into a body of water, reel in the fish, either let it go, or kill it and eat it. There is really nothing else to it.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
Oh just about forgot when out halibut fishing we shoot the big boys. OOPs
ok never caught one big enough to shoot but if I do I will
I am hoping to get a big halibut and other fish to in the Queen Charlottes. I am going on a great group trip, discounted, direct flight the works! I think there are 2 spots left.

Yummm... Halibut.

As for killing them, you have to kill and bleed em to get them to taste the best.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I am hoping to get a big halibut and other fish to in the Queen Charlottes. I am going on a great group trip, discounted, direct flight the works! I think there are 2 spots left.

Yummm... Halibut.

As for killing them, you have to kill and bleed em to get them to taste the best.
yep, my aunt and uncle live in the Charlottes (good for me!) and has a 12 guage on board for the Big Guys. Every year he gets at least one around the 200lb mark. Don't want them big buggars flopping around, wreck your boat and break your legs!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett01 View Post
yep, my aunt and uncle live in the Charlottes (good for me!) and has a 12 guage on board for the Big Guys. Every year he gets at least one around the 200lb mark. Don't want them big buggars flopping around, wreck your boat and break your legs!

Do you find them big ones taste good? I would probably drag a 200 lb halibut backwards to drown if forced to. Otherwise without a gun you would definitely need a spear. A couple of years ago a guy on our trip caught a 184 lber the first day, 191 pounder the second day followed by a small 44 pounder on the last day. Lots of meat. Not sure if the biguns taste worse than a 20 lber. He had some smoked.

I heard they banned guns in most places after a few guys shot the fish square in the head........while it lay in the bottom of the boat...ops. Saw a fishing show once in Alaska where the guy had a loaded 44 mag. Scary. Bet the guide got his tip at the end of the day though.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Yummm... Halibut.

Tell me more in a PM I would love it if the dates work please let them work
Old 01-21-2008, 01:31 PM
KyleM

uglyelk, the complete sarcasm in your replies is ignorant enough to be considered insulting.

IMO (and it is mine) if you dont respect wildlife you shouldnt be allowed to venture on our lakes and forests in search of food.

Ill speak to you in a language maybe you can understand, sarcasm....

I guess you speak to fish on a daily basis, you should know if they suffer or not. Im guessing your extremely well educated opinion comes from the likes of a college degree or upscale university program?

For someone who dosnt care one way or another, you sure have lots to say.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Do you find them big ones taste good? I would probably drag a 200 lb halibut backwards to drown if forced to. Otherwise without a gun you would definitely need a spear. A couple of years ago a guy on our trip caught a 184 lber the first day, 191 pounder the second day followed by a small 44 pounder on the last day. Lots of meat. Not sure if the biguns taste worse than a 20 lber. He had some smoked.

I heard they banned guns in most places after a few guys shot the fish square in the head........while it lay in the bottom of the boat...ops. Saw a fishing show once in Alaska where the guy had a loaded 44 mag. Scary. Bet the guide got his tip at the end of the day though.

The big ones are hard to cook as they are so effing thick! Plus they are the big female spawners with millions of eggs in em...in my opinion and many others out here in BC, best to let em go and keep the numbers up...keep anything below 75lbs. Anything bigger the flakes are huge as well, leading to not quite as good of taste. Here in BC it's illegal to shoot them...but many do anyways I'm sure.

And sundancefisher, you are right for the hali's...bleeding em will make em taste a bit better, but also it preserves em a bit longer so you don't have to put em on ice right away. Just slit the hali just above the tail...that is what I do when I am guiding out here. Easiest way to bleed it. If you guys want I can find a diagram somewhere and show ya exactly where to cut....

Cheers,
David
Old 01-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Banned

Oh god no,,, cut them just above the tail before they are dead won't they scream for help
Old 01-21-2008, 03:12 PM

LOL.

You kick me up. Are we talking big or little hali? With a little hali...if you know where to hit you can beat em dead first then bleed em. The heart is still pumping even when brain dead...:-)

For really large halis you have to be careful and killing them may be a combination of harpoon and bleeding but rarely blows to the head. Like with big game...you do not want to be face to face with a flopping 50-250 pound hali.

Broken femurs are death out on the water.

Cheers.

Kevin
Old 01-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
MAN.. I knew it..

I am going to Hell becouse of the way I treat my lobster...
Should I save a seat for any of you fisherman?

Jamie
Sarcasm humm good on you jamie .Me i would put a knife right threw the heart if i had to. Cant STAND lobster .
Old 01-21-2008, 05:17 PM

Anyone purchase and consume dead muscles,clams,crab, lobster, or crayfish?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:58 PM

Holy smokes this is the most amazing thing I have ever laid eyes on is this somehow linked to GREENPEACE??

Watch out provinces that allow fishing with live bait FISH your gonna be next on the hit list

Cooking LIVE lobster YOUR GOING TO GO STRAIGHT TO HELL

This is nuts

Cam
Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyelk View Post
Anyone purchase and consume dead muscles,clams,crab, lobster, or crayfish?
Do you think the brain of a clam is the same as a fish? Not really comparing apples to apples. Oscars can be trained to run underwater obstacle courses...can not find a clam that can do that.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:39 PM

I can't really believe I'm getting involved in this but I gotta say it. WALLEYES if fish aren't animals what the hell do you think they are??? PLANTS??? They gotta be one or the other. There just ain't no other choices.

As to whether you should kill a fish before you gut it--- of course you you should. I can't think of a single reason not to. I also can't think of a single reason why the legitimate question which started this thread would deteriorate into what I think is the stupidest argument I've ever heard.
And yeah I believe fish feel pain. Pain actually serves a very useful purpose. It causes animals to avoid whatever is causing the pain and thereby avoid more serious injury or even death. All inteligent forms of life feel pain. It's one reason they manage to survive.
Kind of makes me worry about the life expectancy of some of those who have opined on this thread, though.

Last edited by 270WIN; 01-22-2008 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Changed poor choice of words re initial question asked
Old 01-21-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
I can't really believe I'm getting involved in this but I gotta say it. WALLEYES if fish aren't animals what the hell do you think they are??? PLANTS??? They gotta be one or the other. There just ain't no other choices.

As to whether you should kill a fish before you gut it--- of course you you should. I can't think of a single reason not to. I also can't think of a single reason to ask the question in the first place and start what I think is the stupidest argument I've ever heard.
And yeah I believe fish feel pain. Pain actually serves a very useful purpose. It causes animals to avoid whatever is causing the pain and thereby avoid more serious injury or even death. All intelligent forms of life feel pain. It's one reason they manage to survive.
Kind of makes me worry about the life expectancy of some of those who have opined on this thread, though.
AMEN FISHING BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:47 PM

don't care don't eat the brains.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:24 PM

Wow, I didn't expect such a simple question to get so heated. I skipped most posts after page one because it started to get personal and just plain immature.

I want to remind everyone that I asked what the most humane way to kill a fish is. I never asked anyone whether or not I should kill it. There was never any question about it.

I was looking for the most humane and respectful way to kill a fish. I don't care if the fish feels pain or not (there doesn't seem to be proof of either), but in my opinion nothing should have to suffer (or possibly suffer) just because I want to eat it.

As for never feeling true starvation, yes, that's true. I'm blessed to have never experienced severe hunger (the 130lbs on my 5'2" frame can attest to that), and if I was ever starving I agree that I probably wouldn't care how the fish felt, and I wouldn't be opposed to tearing into a live fish with my teeth...but desperate times call for desperate measures. Since I am not starving, I think I can afford the fish some level of decency.

Anyway, I've gotten my answer, I'll continue to whack my fish. No more discussion needed...mods may as well lock it.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Banned

Default fish cry

Haven't any of you ever heard of a fish cry?? I got invited to a big ole fish cry once but I just couldn't bring myself to going. I think fishing is cruel. THe fact that some people enjoy getting together for a fish cry is sickening.

And Walleyes...if cartoons aren't real, why can I see them when I'm awake??
Old 01-22-2008, 07:17 AM

Mish. Sorry for the poor choice of words in my post. I implied your question was stupid and it most certainly wasn't- just some of the stuff that followed. I've edited my post to correct it.
Again, my appologies.

Last edited by 270WIN; 01-22-2008 at 07:36 AM.