Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2007, 06:50 PM

Default McLoud river??

Anyone fish Mcloud river?Seen some pics looks nice but never fished it.Someonetold me north of hwy 16 was good.How is the water now cleaned up yet?
Thanks for any info.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:49 PM
-NDN-

my best guess is its pretty dirty still. You must mean south of the hwy16 where the hwy 47 crosses it at the mouth of the Embarras river. Its a good place for rockies, and some rainbows while flyfishing. Only caught a few bullies in that area, and almost stepped on one while wading the river. He was Hiding behind a rock.

Me and a fishing partner were on a section upstream of the hwy47 crossing about 3 weeks ago i think, no fish to be had yet, but we found some clear water.

cant wait for summer dryfly action for Atha-Bow, Brookies and bullies on a streamer

just pics of a upper section that was clearer while the sections near edson were filthy..........

Old 05-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Banned

Ya the Mcleod always seems to be clear in the higher sections...too bad because its usually better fishing more downstream I have had some great days on there, cant wait for the major hatches of dry flies so I can slaaaaaay
Old 05-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Winchester70

I haven't fished the McLeod in years but it used to be pretty good downstream from the Robb road bridge.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:48 PM

Thumbs up McLoud

Thanks for the info and pics NDN looks nice.Miss the B.C rivers got to get out and throw the fly around some.Maybe by the mid of june I'll go try it out. Looks like you could drift it in a raft or canoe eh?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:22 AM
Banned

The place he took a pic of? No way, most of it is really shallow. I think if you are further downstream you probably could.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:01 AM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
Thanks for the info and pics NDN looks nice.Miss the B.C rivers got to get out and throw the fly around some.Maybe by the mid of june I'll go try it out. Looks like you could drift it in a raft or canoe eh?

drifting can be done, i'd say in a pontoon boat with a high weight capacity to keep you floating up higher. Ive seen people do it in canoes, and even returned a missing paddle i found up there from when they got dumped into the river, LOL
Old 05-29-2007, 09:53 PM

i fish the mcloud in whitecourt and area and have pretty good luck for wallys and pike as wellas rockies and gold eye..still pretty dirty but fishable...the mouth of the athabasca is a good spot up here..
rob
Old 05-30-2007, 04:36 AM
Banned

Hey bearbait, do you fish at all near the bridge just before Edson? Tried it once last year and had one hell of a fish go after my dry fly, no clue what it was, but it suprised me because i thought it was bad fishing there.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:55 AM
-NDN-

here's another fairly recent pic of the upper mcleod. Not the greatest fishing, but good scenery

Old 05-30-2007, 09:18 PM

Question McLeoud

Thanks for the info and pics on the Mcloud guy's,would you go there to target trout or grayling if not where would you go?How is the Pembina by wlof lake? Would like to go on a fishing/elk scoutting trip,but with the gas so high it would be nice to know if it was worth going at all.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:28 AM
-NDN-

i like Mcleod for the Rockies, but the Athabows and brookies are a nice treat. Bull trout are an extra bonus. If I was after Grayling in the area, id Hit the Embarras river nearby, just get off the beaten path, and stay away from the sections right by the road, they are overfished, and the further away from the road the better. Many a good days for grayling with a size 16 Elk Hair Caddis, and a size 16 Parachute Adams
Old 05-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Banned

Ya, where NDN mentioned is good for grayling i'v heard, another place that might be good for grayling is under the bridge just east of Edson, fished it a couple times there and saw quite a few rises, dont know what they were tho, but it was pretty shallow water so i'm thinking grayling.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:33 PM

Thumbs up Mcloud river

Sounds good guy's,just checked the reg's on the embress limit 0 on both trout and grayling which is fine by me.But how can it be over fished if limit 0?
Now I just have to get the fly rod out and find the fly box maybe tye some fly's up,should have saved some elk hair from last years elk.Nothing like catching a trout on a fly made with your own deer hair.

Bluenoser.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:49 PM

hey fellow fisherman/woman...im new to the site but have lurking around the past couple of months...I really like the new forum...nice work!

I don't want to start anything in my first post here...but correct if im wrong, the embarras is closed till the middle of june right?

Just don't want to see anyone one getting busted on a closed stream.

Have fun on the Mcleod Bluenoser, its one of my favorite rivers in the hinton area.

Later
Old 05-31-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Embrass

My 2005 regs say limit 0,and open june 16th.Wont be getting out befor opening.Maybe take a drive down to fairfax to catch something for the fryingpan.Also herd of a rainbow lake sw of fairfax cant rember name though, must find map book.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:10 AM
-NDN-

when i said, if a guy was after grayling, to hit embarras over the mcleod, i didnt mean go right now, today or tomorrow, just a recommendation. i know what the regs state, no worries.

and as for over fishing with a 0 limit, its easy, everyone is to lazy to walk or trek in the bush, so all the fish that are nice and close to the hwy have seen every fly in a fishermans flybox and then some. Making them shy and cautious
Old 06-01-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Embress

Yah thoes fish get smart,they swim up to the fly do this than take off ..
Dont mind a little bushwacking to get to a nice pool or drifting.
Pulled my elk out of 936 last season 5km on two sleds nice to have the snow than.(by myself) That meat tasts realley good .

Bluenoser.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:40 PM
-NDN-

Quote:
Yah thoes fish get smart,they swim up to the fly do this than take off ..
Dont mind a little bushwacking to get to a nice pool or drifting.
Pulled my elk out of 936 last season 5km on two sleds nice to have the snow than.(by myself) That meat tasts realley good .

Bluenoser.

couldnt help but notice your from east of Fort Sask, did you grow up there and graduate in the fort?

Also, you that guy that shot a elk in wmu936 with a funky set of antlers, like in the middle of its head?

I found a hole on the embarras, that is not seen by the road, but supports a healthy population of grayling, not big-uns, but very eager to attack a #18 elk hair caddis or something else in the #16 to #18 range.

Since your so close to my home town and where i live in edmonton, Car pooling is an option with these crazy fuel prices. I also know of another guy who flyfishes and enjoys that area, and he's willing to chip in for gas as well.

im actually waiting on the word if an offer to go walleye fishing is still open, but if its not im heading to Mcleod myself with the family in search of rockies for the pan. Athabow would be a bonus

You ever camp out there and do overnighters?
Old 06-02-2007, 03:05 PM

the mcloud has great grayling fishing from pees to edson...some good sizes as well...i hear the athabasca is realy good between hinton edson area but havent tryed it that far out yet..may hit the mouth of the berland this fall though!!
rob
Old 06-02-2007, 04:03 PM
-NDN-

the berland??? why would you do that, LOL. you live so close to the Little Smoky river its not even funny i wish. hows the water looking over little smoky lately??? seen it?
Old 06-02-2007, 05:11 PM

yup..still a little murky but id fish it...when it opens...also try the sakwatamu in the upper reaches some great graling in there...easy to catch as well..

Last edited by bearbait; 06-02-2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: ps
Old 06-03-2007, 04:12 AM
-NDN-

thx for the tips . Im waiting for the little smoky to open up, I'd really like to give'r a try early season instead of just Fall, you never know, just might make a switch.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:08 PM

ive hit the smokey in the summer and had a great time...hit lots of fish..even caught a rainbow which i hear theres none in there??seemed to love my irresitable in there...
Old 06-03-2007, 06:47 PM
-NDN-

i bet that rig you got in your avatar takes you into some sweet places on the LSR!!! you ever fish Grizz Junction on LSR just after the river opens???
Old 06-03-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Mcloud

I'am from N.S been in A.B for 6 yrs via B.C for 9 years.The elk was a cow in 936.I've camped out there a bit on some lakes but havent hit any rivers or creek's yet.lake fishing out of a boat is easer with a young one along,but perfer river fishing.Do you camp along the river or in a camp site(pd site).
I know a guy that wants to get out and do some river fishing too (fly fishing).
Old 06-03-2007, 07:58 PM

nope never tryed it...may have to this summer
Old 06-03-2007, 10:23 PM

Unless I read the regs wrong, the LSR opened June 1st.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Banned

yep, its open now...SLAAAAAAAYYYYY
Old 06-04-2007, 12:34 AM
-NDN-

Quote:
I'am from N.S been in A.B for 6 yrs via B.C for 9 years.The elk was a cow in 936.I've camped out there a bit on some lakes but havent hit any rivers or creek's yet.lake fishing out of a boat is easer with a young one along,but perfer river fishing.Do you camp along the river or in a camp site(pd site).
I know a guy that wants to get out and do some river fishing too (fly fishing).
i usually do LSR on a day trip, or i stay in a hotel in fox creek. I believe its the Alaska Inn i normally stay at. When i do trips to rivers like Livingstone, Dutch, oldman, racehorse, crow, and anything over 4 hours of a drive, i Spot Camp along a river