Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-15-2014, 08:21 PM

Default Borrowing a Restricted

I did some reading online and I am not exactly clear (Or the site isn't), or I just don't understand. I want to borrow a restricted firearm for someone to take to a range. I personally own a restricted of my own and have a LATT.

I am going to call the CFO tomorrow for clarification, but should I only need a short term ATT to transport it from the owners residence to mine?

On a side note, how about staying overnight elsewhere with your restricted if you are visiting a range away from home, say for a competition etc? Are you allowed to keep the restricted firearm with you, locked up in the case of course? I can't see it any other way.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayf01 View Post
I did some reading online and I am not exactly clear (Or the site isn't), or I just don't understand. I want to borrow a restricted firearm for someone to take to a range. I personally own a restricted of my own and have a LATT.

I am going to call the CFO tomorrow for clarification, but should I only need a short term ATT to transport it from the owners residence to mine?

On a side note, how about staying overnight elsewhere with your restricted if you are visiting a range away from home, say for a competition etc? Are you allowed to keep the restricted firearm with you, locked up in the case of course? I can't see it any other way.
A short term ATT, the registration cert, and a permission letter from the registered owner should suffice.

Many competitors travel with their guns. It can be done. Just follow all the storage requirements. I'd also keep some paperwork handy that confirms my participation in the competition.

Probably best to get clarification on both questions directly from the CFO. Both questions have been asked before and opinions differ. In reality, the only opinions that matter are the CFO's and the cop's that pulls you over! Best bet is to even ask the CFO for their responses in writing, although I don't know if they do that.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:48 PM

On another side note, if you get pulled over for a traffic violation, say speeding etc. Are you legally supposed to notify the officer of firearms in your vehicle?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
On another side note, if you get pulled over for a traffic violation, say speeding etc. Are you legally supposed to notify the officer of firearms in your vehicle?
no you have no responibility to do so
Old 04-15-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:

Or you could both go to the range together and swap the firearm there(avoiding the requirement for a statt). You must have the registration for the firearm. Yes is the answer to the second question.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass23 View Post
A short term ATT, the registration cert, and a permission letter from the registered owner should suffice.

Many competitors travel with their guns. It can be done. Just follow all the storage requirements. I'd also keep some paperwork handy that confirms my paurticipation in the competition.

Probably best to get clarification on both questions directly from the CFO. Both questions have been asked before and opinions differ. In reality, the only opinions that matter are the CFO's and the cop's that pulls you over! Best bet is to even ask the CFO for their responses in writing, although I don't know if they do that.
Should?.....usually followed by shoulda, woulda, coulda. Get the info from the GRC's website. Nothing else matters.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:47 PM

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...n-cess-eng.htm

There are no absolutes
Old 04-16-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Should?.....usually followed by shoulda, woulda, coulda. Get the info from the GRC's website. Nothing else matters.
Hence my final comment. Call the RFO and get it in writing.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass23 View Post
Hence my final comment. Call the RFO and get it in writing.
No need to call, it's already in writing, right on the CFC/RCMP's website.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...n-cess-eng.htm

There are no absolutes
Old 04-16-2014, 05:22 PM

My point was as I originally stated the writing is somewhat confusing.

Regardless, I spoke with the CFO today and they called me back and left a message. All I need is a long term ATT, the firearms registration and they recommended a letter from the owner stating I was allowed to borrow the firearm . She even explicitly said I do not need any short term ATT. I kept the recording as well.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Banned

Good for you. But keep the printed version, just for extra precaution. Sounds as though you're good to go. You should be able to enjoy your firearms in a legal and safe manner without having to look over your shoulder or fear. Join the NFA, btw.