Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Banned

Default Sako A7 combo

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these, and now that the combo has been out for a few years I was hoping to get some input on them. I was thinking of upgrading my VX-III on my Finnlight 300wsm to a VX-6 but then thought an A7 in 7-08, 6.5x55, or even 7mm rem mag would probably make more sense, and leave me $200-$300 for ammo and dies.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:00 PM

I bought one of those combo's a couple of years ago in a .243. It is one of my best guns for the price paid. Shoots a really nice group also.
I am not sure on the 7mm rem mag though. the recoil may be quite a bit than expected for the weight of them.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell78 View Post
I bought one of those combo's a couple of years ago in a .243. It is one of my best guns for the price paid. Shoots a really nice group also.
I am not sure on the 7mm rem mag though. the recoil may be quite a bit than expected for the weight of them.
I've got a Finnlight in 300wsm that I put a Limbsaver on and I can literally shoot that gun all day long with no troubles.

Are you still using the scope? I have a Nikon monarch on my sons 243 savage I might try and swap with the Burris.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:51 PM

Default A7 Sako

I have a A7 in 25-06. It is one sweetheart of a rifle! Shoots a variety of loads just great.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletman View Post
I have a A7 in 25-06. It is one sweetheart of a rifle! Shoots a variety of loads just great.
How about the scope? It comes with the Burris FFII E1, are they any good?
Old 12-25-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletman View Post
I picked one up in 25-06 as well. It was my rifle of choice for the year and took an Elk and Whitetail with it. 115gr Partitions was my choice of bullet for handloading.

Kurt505, as for the scope... I didn't mind the scope, but I much rather the Vortex Viper I ended up switching it for. Mounted with DNZ 1 piece rings and bases for hardware, it weighs just under 8lbs.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I've got a Finnlight in 300wsm that I put a Limbsaver on and I can literally shoot that gun all day long with no troubles.

Are you still using the scope? I have a Nikon monarch on my sons 243 savage I might try and swap with the Burris.
I sold the burris and with the cash, put it to a nikon monarch 2.5-10x42 on it.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell78 View Post
I sold the burris and with the cash, put it to a nikon monarch 2.5-10x42 on it.
I have the exact same nikon I just put on my sons savage axis because I didn't have another gun to put it on. I'm going to have to convince my son he needs the Burris somehow I guess, lol.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:00 AM

I purchased one of the combos three years ago in a 300 WSM. Great rifle but needs a better recoil pad on it. I put on a limbsaver. I am not impressed with the scope though. Sent it in a year ago for repairs. Came back saying nothing was wrong with it. So i put it on my 270 Win and proceeded to sight it in. Got a dozen shots off then it would not hold zero any longer. Same.problem it had when on the 300. I have another FFII with the same problem. The Ziess I replaced it with, works just fine on the 300.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:01 AM

That is the only "combo" I have ever bought and I think it will be the last.
A7 in 270 WSM is a fine rifle but the scope is the worst i have had. My first Burris and it was quite the disappointment. I think that is why they were in the combo because it is the only way they could get rid of them.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:14 AM

I've had 2 in 7-08 and wish I still had them both lol like said the scope isn't really anything special sold both mine and put a Nikon on one and a Zeus on another. That all being said I'm shooting a tikka t3 now with a bell and Carlson stock and I'm very happy with it.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Banned

I almost bought an A7 just before hunting season because I liked the fit of the rifle and feel of the stock but went with the Finnlight in 300wsm instead because it had more metal parts. Now I figured I'd get an A7 as a cheaper rifle, in a smaller caliber for my sons to grow into as a first or second big game rifle, but I'm starting to think the Finnlight again. The rifle itself seems good, and from the sounds of things the scope would be good for a 223, 204,22-250 or 22 type rifle.

Can a guy get $250 for one of those scopes?
Old 12-25-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I almost bought an A7 just before hunting season because I liked the fit of the rifle and feel of the stock but went with the Finnlight in 300wsm instead because it had more metal parts. Now I figured I'd get an A7 as a cheaper rifle, in a smaller caliber for my sons to grow into as a first or second big game rifle, but I'm starting to think the Finnlight again. The rifle itself seems good, and from the sounds of things the scope would be good for a 223, 204,22-250 or 22 type rifle.

Can a guy get $250 for one of those scopes?
I sold mine for 100.00 and thought I got top dollar for it because they are that bad. I like to have a far better scope on a varmint rifle than a hunting rig.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:06 PM

I bought the A7 7mm-08 and I think it's great . Groups are unreal ! I wish I could have bought it without the combo but I'm very satisfied . Looking to upgrade the scope though.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 12-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I sold mine for 100.00 and thought I got top dollar for it because they are that bad. I like to have a far better scope on a varmint rifle than a hunting rig.
Well that's good to know.

I'm still in debate right now, kind of sucks a guy has to buy the package, I'm not sure the A7 is worth $1150. I might just buy another Finnlight if they have the caliber I'm looking for, or if not I might just bite the bullet, buy the A7 and put a VX-6 2-12 on there and throw the Burris on my 10/22.

From what I've read the A7 seems accurate enough, and I can live with the plastic magazine, maybe replace the bolt shroud with a metal one. The only thing I'm a bit worried about is the plastic trigger guard and bottom plastic, I'd hate to take a tumble and have that break on me. The rifle will most likely only be a varmint/plinker gun for me until my son grows into it, so I most likely am just worrying for nothing, I just hate looking back at things and wishing I woulda just spent the money off the bat.

Thanks for all the input guys, I'll be headed out with some cash and gift cards in the morning and coming home with either a new rifle or one heck of a scope!
Old 12-25-2013, 10:29 PM

Consider the A7 as an upgraded tikka stainless synthetic . Better stock , bolt and few extras that make it a little nicer. A few of my friends have the tikas and they are all great rifles too. The 6.5x55 is sweet also

Old 12-25-2013, 10:33 PM

I'm not sure why people think think the plastic on the tikka sand a7 is going to break on them... I've owned a few of each and have out them through some very tough hunting and they've held up awesome! And when it's -30 and you're calling coyotes I'll take a plastic trigger guard and clip over the freezing cold metal. Just my opinion though.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhaulerhunter View Post
I'm not sure why people think think the plastic on the tikka sand a7 is going to break on them... I've owned a few of each and have out them through some very tough hunting and they've held up awesome! And when it's -30 and you're calling coyotes I'll take a plastic trigger guard and clip over the freezing cold metal. Just my opinion though.
The only plastic part that I'm leery about is the trigger guard, I'm just thinking it could happen, slip on the ice or something and land on the trigger guard. The plastic bolt shroud has me puzzled too I guess.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
The only plastic part that I'm leery about is the trigger guard, I'm just thinking it could happen, slip on the ice or something and land on the trigger guard. The plastic bolt shroud has me puzzled too I guess.
Finnlight it is then

Old 12-26-2013, 12:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
Finnlight it is then
I'm trying really hard to talk myself out of that. If they have one in 7mm-08 or 7mm rem mag I can't say for sure I won't just buy one of them and use one of the scopes I got laying around until I squirrel enough money aside for some better glass. I'm such an impulse buyer I might just come home with a wall tent or something stupid just because it looked cool at the time

My practical side says A7, ammo, dies, mid range glass and don't look back. My OCD side says Finnlight now, worry about bullets and glass later. I won't know for sure until after 2-1/2hrs in the store driving the sales reps crazy.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:38 AM

Default Both or all?

I picked up an A7 in 300WM, topped it with a 5X25 X 50 Zeiss HD and set out to see what it would do. Impressed with lack of recoil and, fit me well. My Tikka t3 and Sako TRG-S in 6.5x55 and .338 Lapua, respectively are as nice, both are as lite, and carry the same optics.
Love the 6.5 X 55 round, and just getting used to the .338 firestick, need to shorten the stock a 1/2" to make it fit right. It fit well with the stock pad, but no recoil buffer and now with a Limbsaver is too long.
All good rifles, find the savings on the A7 impressive, Will shoot everything from 110gr to 220gr and put them in a line verticle on target 1/2 inch above each other @200M, no cool down time at all just ten shots one after the other.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Banned

Well there was no finnlights in 7mm so I ended up getting the A7 in 7mm-08. Grabbed a leupold VX-II Canadian with CDS, some Leupold rings and a Limbsaver for it, but the only 7mm-08 ammo cabelas had left was 140 winchester supreme bst's, they never even had any brass, reloading shelves were pretty cleaned out.

First impressions of the rifle are good. I can tell the difference between the A7 and the Finnlight in the feel of the stock, not better or worse, just different. The bolt is smooth as expected but I still lubed it up with some G96 and the barrel filled up with wipe-out. I'm heading to the cabin for a few days of relaxing so I'll be able to get some range time in and see how it shoots. For some reason the Finnlight feels lighter in 300wsm than the A7 in 7mm08? I don't have an accurate scale to see forsure, it just feels that way.