Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-26-2009, 05:08 PM

Default General Fishing Regs

I haven't fished in about ten years and I've just gotten my license to fish again. I am totally shocked to see how this government has tightened up the regs to the point where there is little point in even going out. You can't fish in this lake because of a zero limit. You can only take a pike which is more than two feet in length. There are far more 'You may nots than there are 'You mays" Sport fishing is for the birds. Catch and release is cruel. You cannot convince me that it is not painful and stressful to the fish caught in this way. I'm sixty years old. I've fished all of my life having caught the bug when I was only two. I've learned from my dad who was very strict about taking care of the animals and the wild areas. He always stressed safety, housekeeping and never never kill or catch something that you don't intend to EAT.
Now these schoolboys come in and tell me I can't catch a fish in the lake near me to eat it?!

I think these laws are mostly, well.....deleted expletives.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:58 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
You cannot convince me that it is not painful and stressful to the fish caught in this way.
Many people and groups agree with you. C&R fishing has been banned in many European countries.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:20 PM

I cannot understand the reasoning of releasing a fish that you know will not survive.

What a waste.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:56 PM

Default Touchy subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denadii Cho View Post
I haven't fished in about ten years and I've just gotten my license to fish again. I am totally shocked to see how this government has tightened up the regs to the point where there is little point in even going out. You can't fish in this lake because of a zero limit. You can only take a pike which is more than two feet in length. There are far more 'You may nots than there are 'You mays" Sport fishing is for the birds. Catch and release is cruel. You cannot convince me that it is not painful and stressful to the fish caught in this way. I'm sixty years old. I've fished all of my life having caught the bug when I was only two. I've learned from my dad who was very strict about taking care of the animals and the wild areas. He always stressed safety, housekeeping and never never kill or catch something that you don't intend to EAT.
Now these schoolboys come in and tell me I can't catch a fish in the lake near me to eat it?!

After first reading ur post my initial thoughts were -well, lake and river bodies change alot over ten years, as do the regs in accordance (I wanna believe), but yes- there are alot of bodies of water where the regs do not make sense to me. I am a mid thirty man who has only been fishing for 5 years and am quite bewildered as to the regs in some bodies of water so I can only imagine how you may feel. So many things come into play here I am sure. One thing I am sure of though is - U should b proud, ur pops taught u well. Happy fishin
Old 07-26-2009, 08:39 PM

I'm sorry Mr. Cho, but I'm going to have to disagree with you. If there weren't limits and regulations on Alberta lakes there won't be fish left in the near future for my sons and I to enjoy catching. There's not many lakes in Alberta for the number of fishermen like there is in BC, Sask, Manitoba, Ontario. I fish for the sport of it and practise catch and release. I do keep the odd one for a shore lunch. I don't think that is wrong.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:54 PM

You'll find plenty of debate on that particular topic on this forum. You have hardcore C&R folk here who believe the limits are still too liberal and then the eaters here who'd appreciate being able to keep a fish or two for supper now and then.

The 'freezer fillers' are still around too but most can agree that this group can't really afford to exist in this province without crippling our fisheries.

Right now, I lean toward agreeing with you and feeling your pain. I think there ARE a number of lakes away from the province's major centers that could affrord more liberal keep limits but the people running the show are choosing to err fairly heavily on the side of caution.

There's no question that the days of 10 walleye and pike of any size are gone (and they definately should be - when people started learning how to fish, our fisheries starting hurting). But in productive lakes away from major centers, I'd be heavily in favor of trying limits like Calling Lake for a few years (1 walleye, 2 pike) and seeing what the impact would truly be.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
I'm sorry Mr. Cho, but I'm going to have to disagree with you. If there weren't limits and regulations on Alberta lakes there won't be fish left in the near future for my sons and I to enjoy catching. There's not many lakes in Alberta for the number of fishermen like there is in BC, Sask, Manitoba, Ontario. I fish for the sport of it and practise catch and release. I do keep the odd one for a shore lunch. I don't think that is wrong.
Well I have my opinions on Catch and release but as I said, I won't bore you with that. My main bitch is the ridiculous limits these demigods impose.
Listen. If you're a true sportsman, if you're really concerned about the lakes and fish, or the wild lands at large, you will not misuse them. The others are so few in comparison that we that care can police them ourselves. Then if the fish cops can unwrap themselves from around their coffee pots and do something when we report somebody....
Old 07-27-2009, 02:22 PM

I think that we could all agree that it's the 10% of the population that screws and abuses the system.

The one thing that I believe is "the" overfishing of spectacular spots.
How many times do you always go to the exact same spot, or troll the exact same weedline because you are almost guaranteed to nail one?
This overfishing depletes schools of fish or in the very least depletes the big ones unless C and R is in effect by the boater.

I love to nail big fish in spots where people rarely go. Makes a nice challenge.
But everyone including myself has been guilty of heading to for sure spots unfortunately over and over again.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:

Go to the store then its cheaper. If you can't enjoy fishing for sport of it then didn't bother going i really get sick of people like yourself bitching about how u can't keep anything anymore.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy perch fisher View Post
Go to the store then its cheaper. If you can't enjoy fishing for sport of it then didn't bother going i really get sick of people like yourself bitching about how u can't keep anything anymore.
You call it sport to traumatize a fish. Plant a hook in his mouth and jerk him out of the water, handle him with your hot hands and then throw him back? Hmmm Try swallowing a hook and have somebody jerk you out of your chair. Good sport hey? Lots of laughs.
Look, Happy I've always loved fishing, but I was raised to eat what I catch. I was not raised to be cruel and call it sport. Personally I don't give a crap whether the barbs are flattened out. Poke a hole in the fish and it hurts. Call it sport and its cruelty only. If you're not going to keep what you catch and eat it then leave them alone!

But my point of all this was not to jump on catch and release folks. My point was to say I want to fish for the meat of it. For the relaxation of it. Not for the legal bull---- of it. Or for poking holes in fish just for fun.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Banned

i agree with you that the regs are pretty strict here....

but i'm pretty sure fish can't feel pain
Old 08-27-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post

but i'm pretty sure fish can't feel pain
Not sure if I agree with fish not feeling pain. They have to have some sort of nerves for a survival mechanism.

Denadii Cho: if you caught what you needed to eat for the day, then do you go home (since you don't believe in sportfishing or catch and release)? That would be a waste of gas if you caught your limit right away.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:51 PM

I've been fishing since I was 6 years old, and I have only kept 2 or 3 fish to eat. I fish for the sport, I enjoy catching fish alot more than i do eating them.
I'm sure if you look at the statistics for fish who get caught, as long as they are handled well, kept out of the water for a limited time, and released properly, more than most will survive and be able to reproduce so future generations can fish. The exceptions being those who are hooked in the gills, which rarely happens (for me anyways).

Ensuring there are fish available for future generations is Alberta F&W's top concern as it should be. If all you enjoy about fishing is eating them after, head to your local superstore and buy them there.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:53 PM

There was a lengthy study done in Sweden or Finland or something a couple of years back that surmised that fish (at least in their mouths) don't feel pain like we do (good thing too because eating a whole perch or small walleye would sure make you want to diet). When they become hooked, they don't feel discomfort persay, more of a "somethings wrong" stress trigger mechanism.

In any case, there are those of us that enjoy both the catching and eating parts of fishing. The overall experience trumps filets on the supper table anyday but eating a well prepared catch is a pleasant experience in itself that comes with the added satisfaction of having harvested the ingredients yourself.. that IS what fishing has been about since the beginning of time.

It's pretty annoying when C&R anglers with entirely childish holier-than-thou attitudes spout off about people keeping fish to eat. If the fish are caught and kept legally - shut your pie holes and go flex in front of the mirror.

Last edited by Wulfespirit; 08-27-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
MMMMHMMMMM , I think its due to poor management myself , but yet im wrong . The government wants the '' Fishermen's input '' but then do the total oppisite . What the hell is the sense in calling for the public's thoughts and so on . This province is gonna run the fishing dead before its made better . Thats my honest opinion and I stand by that and will till the day im dead , and fishing in Saskatchewan , or Manitoba , or Ontario .

All the '' PROFESSIONALS " keep saying its due to fishing pressure . You cant tell me Other provinces aren't experiencing " fishing pressure " ? sounds like a BS explanation to me . I say fire all the idiots and start off new . Instead of hireing someone who knows the books , hire someone from experience . The intire topic makes me angry , as the helpless can only sit back and watch what were loseing .
Old 08-27-2009, 09:59 PM

who did you guys vote for?
Old 08-27-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyflyfish View Post
who did you guys vote for?
You think the libs or ndp would've cured the provinces fishing issues?
Old 08-27-2009, 10:07 PM

do you think they would have screwed it up worse than the oil men?
Old 08-27-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyflyfish View Post
do you think they would have screwed it up worse than the oil men?
No, I think it would be status quo. The only way the problems get addressed is if a true outdoorsman was appointed to the minister chair AND there was some money laying around to work with.

With oil/gas revenues tanking, don't expect anything grand from the goverment - no matter who's in power - for a long while.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:16 PM

Default !!!

Hey Cho
First, Alberta regs are nothing
You wanna see tight regs go fish in b.c.
Their regs book is the size of a bible!!!!
second, it's necessary due to heavy abuse
Sadly, sign of the times
Cheers, gw
Old 08-27-2009, 10:20 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
You cant tell me Other provinces aren't experiencing " fishing pressure " ? sounds like a BS explanation to me .
You look at the number of lakes versus the number of anglers and our waters are indeed under some very heavy pressure when compared to other provinces.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
You look at the number of lakes versus the number of anglers and our waters are indeed under some very heavy pressure when compared to other provinces.
No doubt about it - yet a big part of the problem is still mismanagement. Whether it's due to lack of funds or incompetance, there's a lot this province should be doing ESPECIALLY given the angler/lake ratio here.

My ideas - for whatever they're worth.

1) Where feasible, do something about winterkilling lakes and lakes whose dropping water levels are getting into that danger zone. I've yet to hear a really good arguement against this - especially since the fish populations are doomed in any case. Divert water. Plant an aerator. Do something.

2) Make some of the many lakes (particularly in the NE region of the province) more accessible to take some pressure off the rest. I know the people who hike/4X4/quad/snowmobile into alot of those waters would scream but it would certainly divert alot of pressure off the rest of the lakes.

3) Allow a conservative harvest of walleye on more lakes to - again - spread the pressure. Can anyone look me in the eye and tell me that lakes like Baptiste or Touchwood couldn't handle a 1 walleye limit for at least a month a year? If a lake truly can't handle that kind of limited pressure, then make the decision to close based on science, not a survey of 10 anglers after a hot August weekend.

4) Wake up and remember that perch have long been a popular sport fish here. Between winterkilling lakes and out of control hammerhandle and walleye populations on so many lakes, they don't stand a chance anymore. Help those populations grow and you'll see pressure ease up elsewhere.

5) Just like the province hired a bunch of 'sheriffs' to deal specifically with speeding, they need to hire a bunch of COs to deal specifically with native netting. If the fish are being wasted or not being used for sustenance, those nets should be burned and the offenders hit as hard as possible.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:50 PM

Default Too much hostility

Wow, hard to believe that there is so much hostility in these forums. Too bad that some folks just cannot seem to be able to agree to disagree. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. To Mr. happyperchfisher; the evidence of your longwinded "opinions" in many a thread on this forum have not gone unoticed. Your are entitled to your own beliefs & opinions, just remeber that if you want your voice heard, everyone else should have a fair shake too. Regulations are SRD's best way to manage their overall plan. I remeber 30 Perch limits & fantastic Walleye fishing as a kid & a young man, with limits so high and people catching their limit even once every other week on the same lake over time it just runs out. If someone doesn't agree with the regulations, write a letter to the Minister, or better yet just don't spool up your reel. That's my two bits!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:52 PM
sheephunter

At the risk of being the target of some name calling here, I have to agree that C&R fishing is a hard practice to defend. Quite possibly fish don't feel pain but there is inherant mortality with C&R and fish are stressed by the practice. And to what end? The enjoyment of the angler. With hunting and catch and keep fishing we can make the arguement that we are providing food for ourselves and helping manage populations but with C&R fishing, the only way to rationalize it is that it's sport. I'm guessing shooting deer with rubber bullets for sport would go over real well with many. Don't get me wrong, I do alot of C&R fishing but it is a tough one to make a case for. Just look to Europe.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfespirit View Post
No doubt about it - yet a big part of the problem is still mismanagement. Whether it's due to lack of funds or incompetance, there's a lot this province should be doing ESPECIALLY given the angler/lake ratio here.

My ideas - for whatever they're worth.

1) Where feasible, do something about winterkilling lakes and lakes whose dropping water levels are getting into that danger zone. I've yet to hear a really good arguement against this - especially since the fish populations are doomed in any case. Divert water. Plant an aerator. Do something.

2) Make some of the many lakes (particularly in the NE region of the province) more accessible to take some pressure off the rest. I know the people who hike/4X4/quad/snowmobile into alot of those waters would scream but it would certainly divert alot of pressure off the rest of the lakes.

3) Allow a conservative harvest of walleye on more lakes to - again - spread the pressure. Can anyone look me in the eye and tell me that lakes like Baptiste or Touchwood couldn't handle a 1 walleye limit for at least a month a year? If a lake truly can't handle that kind of limited pressure, then make the decision to close based on science, not a survey of 10 anglers after a hot August weekend.

4) Wake up and remember that perch have long been a popular sport fish here. Between winterkilling lakes and out of control hammerhandle and walleye populations on so many lakes, they don't stand a chance anymore. Help those populations grow and you'll see pressure ease up elsewhere.

5) Just like the province hired a bunch of 'sheriffs' to deal specifically with speeding, they need to hire a bunch of COs to deal specifically with native netting. If the fish are being wasted or not being used for sustenance, those nets should be burned and the offenders hit as hard as possible.
1. i agree with u.
2. Most people won't drive that far and it would cost a ton to build roads into alot of those lakes.
3. Baptiste is a lake with increasing preasure every year. The size of the fish in baptiste has dropped dramtically over the years. Baptiste could probably be opened agian. But you would probably end up with 95 percent of the fish being under the legal size limit. Basically the same thing as south buck. Where almost every walleye is under 43 and almost none make it over 50. Touchwood could probably be opened for a month every year. But you would see a dramtic drop in the size of fish.
4.Overfishing played a way bigger role in the declines. People always remove the big spawner perch and the walleye always clean up the little ones. Perch lakes that are found out and posted are destined to be overfished and fast.
5.Yah i know it is total bs but what can you do through. There going to get away with it. Even if they take them to court there end up making excuse that its there right to destory the fisherys so they can make a few bucks.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
At the risk of being the target of some name calling here, I have to agree that C&R fishing is a hard practice to defend. Quite possibly fish don't feel pain but there is inherant mortality with C&R and fish are stressed by the practice. And to what end? The enjoyment of the angler. With hunting and catch and keep fishing we can make the arguement that we are providing food for ourselves and helping manage populations but with C&R fishing, the only way to rationalize it is that it's sport. I'm guessing shooting deer with rubber bullets for sport would go over real well with many. Don't get me wrong, I do alot of C&R fishing but it is a tough one to make a case for. Just look to Europe.
Sheephunter If you want to practice C&R I'm not going to criticize you or anyone else that does. My point here was simply that because of the laws of our fair province I'm forced to do something contrary to my beliefs and contrary to my family traditions over the last three hundred ninety years of living in this country. Yes My family has been in Canada that long. Before Canada was Canada. All bushrunners. And we never did destroy one single species.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sheephunter If you want to practice C&R I'm not going to criticize you or anyone else that does. My point here was simply that because of the laws of our fair province I'm forced to do something contrary to my beliefs and contrary to my family traditions over the last three hundred ninety years of living in this country. Yes My family has been in Canada that long. Before Canada was Canada. All bushrunners. And we never did destroy one single species.

Yah you just push it to verge and u let 2 surivive right. Not like you follow the regs anyhow.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
1. i agree with u.
2. Most people won't drive that far and it would cost a ton to build roads into alot of those lakes.
Some won't, some will. Look how many people from Edmonton hit Shaw's Point every year. That's no farther than a lot of bush waters in the NE. I agree it's not cheap, but neither is the contribution of angling to the economy in this province every year. Let them throw a reasonable road and boat launch on one of these waters every year and it's contribution will be felt. If they can afford make-work projects like the road construction going on north of Spruce Grove right now, they can add a road a year elsewhere.

Quote:
3. Baptiste is a lake with increasing preasure every year. The size of the fish in baptiste has dropped dramtically over the years. Baptiste could probably be opened agian. But you would probably end up with 95 percent of the fish being under the legal size limit. Basically the same thing as south buck. Where almost every walleye is under 43 and almost none make it over 50. Touchwood could probably be opened for a month every year. But you would see a dramtic drop in the size of fish.
I agree about the fish size on Baptiste. But it's getting swarmed with medium sized walleye now (and there STILL are some hawgs there too) whose growth rates will undoubtedly be horribly slow. Thin them out a reasonable amount and you'll give the perch there a chance to come back while letting some of the walleye get to a good size in a reasonable amount of time.

Touchwood was open to walleye harvesting for a long time but always managed to retain bigger fish. It's far enough away that its not going to get overrun.

Quote:
4.Overfishing played a way bigger role in the declines. People always remove the big spawner perch and the walleye always clean up the little ones. Perch lakes that are found out and posted are destined to be overfished and fast.
Overfishing is a factor but the abundance of hammerhandles and walleye is also a big factor. Perch just don't have a hope in hell in alot of lakes now of ever making a come back because F&W wants people to catch small pike and walleye on every cast.

Quote:
5.Yah i know it is total bs but what can you do through. There going to get away with it. Even if they take them to court there end up making excuse that its there right to destory the fisherys so they can make a few bucks.
Yeah and its such a ridiculous political game too. I know that COs could be doing more in this regard but they don't want to start a 'war'. They do just enough on an annual basis to be seen but not as much as they could be. I have a feeling that if they ever truly wanted to crack down, it'd be like shooting fish in a barrel.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
You know, I couldn't really agree with you more. My father was a man who hunted and fished in my youth (only hunts now). He didn't hunt or fish for "sport" . . . he hunted and fished for meat. Sure, he enjoyed the peace and solitude of his endeavors, but his focus was always meat. While that may seem appalling to some, it made us pretty darn respectful of what wound up on our plates at the dinner table and of the natural world (I loath buying meet from the grocery store as a result). He's more selective now that my sister and I are grown and he isn't feeding us: he'll be out in the bush for two weeks and not come home with anything because he didn't find "the one."

I guess for me, c&r is a way to improve my skills (at the expense of the fish). The limits, combined with the better release skills I'll have, will certainly make me more selective and knowledgeable about what I do keep (when I can and if I choose too). I need to become a much better angler though, as at present an itty bitty pan trout looks like a keeper

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:33 AM

Take a look to the east of us. In Saskatchewan, limits are being tightened up as well. We have 800 fishable lakes here with a population of over 3 million. Saskatchewan has what, over 100,000 lakes with a population of what, just over 1 million. Do the math and determine fishing pressure or if that doesn't suit you, go to Pigeon Lake and count the number of boats off the provincial boat launch fishing.

That being said, I will agree that we could have a much better fish stocking program here.

BBJ you are totally wrong in your assertions.