Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-12-2012, 02:44 PM

Default Knives on the belt - any miracle fix for not losing them.

I really haven't sat down and tried to figure out a fix for this, I'm sure there's something out there I just haven't come up with yet.

I generally only strap my folder onto my belt when hunting and keep the fixed blades, saws, etc... tucked away in a fanny pack with tags, etc... Am thinking of carrying my fixed blade on the belt this year too though but am thinking of an issue that always seems to arise even with the folder. You open your belt, either at camp getting ready for bed, or camp or bush when nature comes a'callin, and the weight of the folder alone even pulls the belt out of the loops and slips off the belt. Pain in the arse, I've come to live with it and hold the belt with one hand or tuck the knife into a close pocket to keep the weight from freefalling but am wondering if there's a better fix than just living with it? Am I the only one irritated by this? Anyone have a "special method" or fix?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:48 PM

Get a lighter knife.....problem solved!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Gone Hunting

A couple of my belt knives have a hole through the handle for a leather mini thong to loop through to hold the knife in the sheath till needed. I also have a tie down like leather for the bottom to keep the knife from getting it the way when riding or sitting.

For the issue you are talking about a couple of the heavy duty elastic bands from Broccoli, attached wisely where the belt goes through the loop should hold it in place.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-12-2012, 02:54 PM

I fold my belt in on itself and back into the belt loop when dropping my drawers...

So far no losses (almost had one when the belt loop broke on my Buck Vanguard's sheath last season! I'm so thankful that I was wearing track pants on top of my wool pants, and it ended up dropping inside my boot, where I found it that evening... Whew!)
Old 09-12-2012, 02:58 PM

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over ...

The fix is: Don't put it on your belt....

Tape it to your pack straps (on the front)?

Tape it to your belt?

Put it in your pack?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
A couple of my belt knives have a hole through the handle for a leather mini thong to loop through to hold the knife in the sheath till needed. I also have a tie down like leather for the bottom to keep the knife from getting it the way when riding or sitting.

For the issue you are talking about a couple of the heavy duty elastic bands from Broccoli, attached wisely where the belt goes through the loop should hold it in place.
First rule of thumb in OUR hunting camp is NO THONGS - either leather, mini or otherwise .

JK, my fixed blades usually have the thong on them as well. I use it on my wrist when elbow deep in a moose to avoid having to go searching in 8" of blood for a razor sharp knife if I lose my grip on it. Good idea using it for sheath retention as well.

I like this idea of the heavy duty elastics, fairly simple when you think of it - my problem is I just never took the time to do that .
Old 09-12-2012, 03:30 PM

Turn your belt around and feed the knife sheath all the way to the buckle before you put it through the loops on your pants. You may reach for your belt with the wrong had but you wont drop your knife anymore. Or you can cary your knife on the opposite hip if your concerned you wont get your belt off fast enough after that morning coffee.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over ...

The fix is: Don't put it on your belt....

Tape it to your pack straps (on the front)?

Tape it to your belt?

Put it in your pack?

I like to have it close at hand, for everyday use when in the bush. I'm not always carrying a pack or have a fanny pack on, but I always have my pants on . I think attaching it to the belt a bit more securely is the answer or attaching the belt to the first loop somewhat securely so it doesn't slip out of there.

I notice CYED on the sigline. Are you stationed out of Namao? Flight crew?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:27 PM

I took the Kunny industrial tool belt ( Just the belt) fed all my knifes, Bino's, and sharpening tool onto it, then hook that to the kunny nylon suspenders. Once I have my cold weather gear on (Parka and bibs) I throw on the suspenders and all my tools on easy to access and suported by my shoulders instead of sinched up around my waist. The belt on suspenders can be bought from the tool isle of any hardware store.

Last edited by chuck0039; 09-12-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:27 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzzz View Post
Turn your belt around and feed the knife sheath all the way to the buckle before you put it through the loops on your pants. You may reach for your belt with the wrong had but you wont drop your knife anymore. Or you can cary your knife on the opposite hip if your concerned you wont get your belt off fast enough after that morning coffee.
X2
Old 09-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Banned

I either make a short lanyard that I can loop to my person or throw a rubber band around the handle and the sheath.

Haven't lost one..... yet....
Old 09-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
x4

works like a charm. I have never had my leatherman fall off putting my belt on this way.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Banned

Duct tape
Old 09-12-2012, 06:24 PM

Default Zap strap

Use a zap strap to tie it to a belt loop, then run your belt through it so it doesn't just rip off on a tree.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:37 PM

I use a similar method to Chuck. A larger tool style belt with all knives and sheath type gear on it. A few small pouches. Cartridge case. When nature calls it comes off and hangs on a branch. When you get back to camp it goes on back of chair. No need to thread knives or gear on belt thru loops every morning or undo every evening. simply put on your superhero utility belt and hit the trail or the beer cooler depending on time of day!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 PM

Lot of expensive knives have ****ty sheaths. Belt loop is held on by one star rivet and all it takes is a snag in the bush to rip it off. Had a saddle maker make me a good case for mine that envelops the handle as well , for the times I wear it. Usually just keep it in the pack. No need to look like Croc Dundee.

Grizz
Old 09-13-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I fold my belt in on itself and back into the belt loop when dropping my drawers...
X2
Old 09-13-2012, 04:45 AM
Gone Hunting

The chances of losing a knife is directly related to how expensive it is.
(one of Murphy's laws)

If you have a cheap, plain but functional belt knife you will not lose it.

A friend always wears a cheap "Eric Frost" belt knife. He calls it "Eric Frost, never get lost"

I have a habit of using a knife as a size reference when taking a picture of something. (stick my pocket knife into a big rub tree then take a picture)

The definition of insanity is walking away and leaving the knife in the tree.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 09-13-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
THAT Sir is the VERY reason my 119 Buck Knife is allllll ways in my back pack now.

"RIP a new one" has a whole new meaning for me now !!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:43 AM

Easy fix. Use a paper clip called a binder clip. Clip on your belt and pants ahead of your knives and then just flip one ear back inside your pants and the other ear outside your belt. Works great. They are the paper clip thingys that you squeeze the two ears. Usually black, but if you have a girl buying your stationary supplies you'll have em in every colour of the rainbow. The clips you would use to hold a full file folder together...ahhh crap...you know what I mean.

Works well with equipment belts that you dont put though the loops too because sometimes they are too long and you have six inches of belt hanging down.

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 09-13-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: ADDITION