Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Default Degrabber???

My father gave me this stuff

And told me to use it.

I think he called it "degrabber" or something like that? Apparently it is what he used while in the military, and what he still uses on all of his guns.

Should I or shouldn't I? This bottle (or maybe the lack of fancy colours and logos) makes me nervous.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:11 PM

How old were you when your Dad gave it to you?

If you were in your late teens and early 20's I bet he figured it would work on Men!! lol....All young women need some "Degrabber"....usually comes in the form of a much larger less attractive friend who acts like a mother hen

LC
Old 10-10-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
My father gave me this stuff

And told me to use it.

I think he called it "degrabber" or something like that? Apparently it is what he used while in the military, and what he still uses on all of his guns.

Should I or shouldn't I? This bottle (or maybe the lack of fancy colours and logos) makes me nervous.
It looks like all the "good stuff" has settled out...lol

I have never seen it before.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:06 PM

Default Degrabber?

Degreaser, degunker degooper
Old 10-10-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If you were in your late teens and early 20's I bet he figured it would work on Men!! lol....All young women need some "Degrabber"....usually comes in the form of a much larger less attractive friend who acts like a mother hen
Hmmm. No, I wasn't. It would have been a darn good idea, though: since his reputation only extended to the boundaries of the base (and there were lots of guys off base to get into trouble with).

I suspect this bottle of "stuff" has been around since then, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
It looks like all the "good stuff" has settled out...lol

I have never seen it before.
He told me to shake it. It looked like that when he gave it to me a couple of months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Degreaser, degunker degooper
Should I have used it? Are you familiar with it?

I just ran this stuff through the barrel of my Finnlight. I'm not entirely comfortable with the way the patches looked when they came out.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Hmmm. No, I wasn't. It would have been a darn good idea, though: since his reputation only extended to the boundaries of the base (and there were lots of guys off base to get into trouble with).

I suspect this bottle of "stuff" has been around since then, though.

He told me to shake it. It looked like that when he gave it to me a couple of months ago.

Should I have used it? Are you familiar with it?

I just ran this stuff through the barrel of my Finnlight. I'm not entirely comfortable with the way the patches looked when they came out.
I bet your barrel turns to sand by tomorrow....lol

It's all good!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:33 PM

I thought this would be a thread about BB416... woops.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:15 PM

what color were the patches when they came out?
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 10-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Banned

Looks like normal military CLP to me.
Standard stuff the US and Canada for a long time.
I think we used to get bottles like that one about 20-25 years ago.
Now, they look the same as what you buy in the store...unless it is in bulk.

If it sits for a while it settles out.

Just shake it up and have at er.

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 10-10-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:33 PM

Yes it is the very same thing as modern military CLP, except in the old style bottle with the old Nato Stock Number. The packaging and NSN is different now but has the same mil spec.

Edit - While it does have a 3 yr shelf life, it is still good, just give it a good shake.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:57 AM

its one of the best that money can by. the army bys good quality stuff usualy at inflated prices but to meet there standards its has to perform or they won't by it.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
what color were the patches when they came out?
The colour was okay . . . they almost looked a little waxy: not oily. It made me worried that it might actually solidify over time. I left a little bit out overnight on my cleaning mat, and it is fine this morning: still very liquid. I'm not so worried today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_eight View Post
Yes it is the very same thing as modern military CLP, except in the old style bottle with the old Nato Stock Number. The packaging and NSN is different now but has the same mil spec.

Edit - While it does have a 3 yr shelf life, it is still good, just give it a good shake.
If that's the case, I'm guessing this bottle is a least 17 years old. Dad retired 14 years ago (I think) . . . and he probably discretely "rescued" this bottle from a dumpster (the waste on base always infuriated him, and he was regularly hauling things out of dumpsters . . . we even camped with expired rations that he had salvaged from dumpsters).

I'm guessing this stuff would not be the "Break-Free" CLP, but rather the "Royco" CLP?

Old 10-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
The colour was okay . . . they almost looked a little waxy: not oily. It made me worried that it might actually solidify over time. I left a little bit out overnight on my cleaning mat, and it is fine this morning: still very liquid. I'm not so worried today.

If that's the case, I'm guessing this bottle is a least 17 years old. Dad retired 14 years ago (I think) . . . and he probably discretely "rescued" this bottle from a dumpster (the waste on base always infuriated him, and he was regularly hauling things out of dumpsters . . . we even camped with expired rations that he had salvaged from dumpsters).

I'm guessing this stuff would not be the "Break-Free" CLP, but rather the "Royco" CLP?
We've all "rescued" a bottle or two....lol

You may find that after resting for a while...if you run a cloth through...it will have black stuff all over it. Thats normal.
It is just working the old filth out that didn't come free on the initial cleaning.

With CLP I "get it wet and let it sweat" for a few days before a final cleaning for storage. Nice thing is a little dab will do you and it never seems to thicken up in the cold. It is made for full auto weapons and doesn't break down in the heat created through normal firing.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:52 PM

My supply tech told me it is break-free in the old bottles.
http://www.break-free.com/
The white stuff in the bottom of the bottle is teflon that has settled out of the solution.
I use that stuff on all my reels. One of the best oils Ive ever used.
if anyone knows a place in Edmonton that sells it could you send me a pm please?

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."