Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2015, 04:40 PM

I do not know if it has been brought up but twice now close friends of mine have bought in the Creston Valley and area and both moved back to Alberta.

One reason and one reason only, no matter how hard they tried they could not seem to be accepted by the locals.

Locals can and are frustrated with the property values going up because of the Albertans pushing it seemingly sky high where it becomes no longer affordable And they have a very valid point.

The other thing is both when they listed to sell had stink offers from realtors almost over night.

Many things to be considered before jumping into a major purchase.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:49 PM

Yes, calcium carbonate is the scale on pipes and fixtures. the way your post was worded, it reads like you can test the water for calcium carbonate content.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:16 PM

I have a 2400 ft2 log home on a 1/4 ac lot i south okanagan. Haven't been able to sell it for 4 years ad askig 70 g less than i paid for it. Real estate in BC is not all it is cracked up to be. BC equals Bring Cash.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:22 PM

Default frac and water wells

not a single court case proven a single well has a problem with frac. lots of BS but little real information. Fracs are way below water table.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber1972 View Post

I have a 2400 ft2 log home on a 1/4 ac lot i south okanagan. Haven't been able to sell it for 4 years ad askig 70 g less than i paid for it. Real estate in BC is not all it is cracked up to be. BC equals Bring Cash.

Duly noted ^

There's a lot of that in the Kootenays too. Homes for sale for over a year or more, and many of those that I've seen are even vacant. And now that Alberta is in a major Bust, there's even less buyers in the market. To attract what few buyers there are, asking prices are taking a huge dive. It's almost like a fire sale.

For sellers, the BC interior real estate market has become a 'perfect storm', and it could take years for it to recover.

Mac

Last edited by Selkirk; 12-14-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:25 AM

Smile

Our friends who now have a vacation rental property in Golden bought their place from a woman who had it for sale for about three years for way too much money. They got a good price eventually as she needed to sell. She still has some adjoining land which is priced very high and also has sat there for three years. And there are a lot of places like that there, apparently hoping Big Money from Alberta will come in and pay what they want. But it is not happening, especially now with the oil patch the way it is.
I guess if one is planning to move for the long term, the risk of losing money when reselling is lower, but as mentioned above about fitting in and being accepted, that would be a concern for me...I would have to take a long "test drive" in an area to see if it would work, but I assume you have spent enough time out there already to have decided to move there.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 12-15-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
I do not know if it has been brought up but twice now close friends of mine have bought in the Creston Valley and area and both moved back to Alberta.

One reason and one reason only, no matter how hard they tried they could not seem to be accepted by the locals.

Locals can and are frustrated with the property values going up because of the Albertans pushing it seemingly sky high where it becomes no longer affordable And they have a very valid point.

The other thing is both when they listed to sell had stink offers from realtors almost over night.

Many things to be considered before jumping into a major purchase.
I'm not surprised about that ^ with the Creston area. Nice people there and on the surface they'll always treat you well, but many have what's sometimes referred to as a 'valley mentality' (very insular). They tend to not like outsiders much, and almost see other folks as 'foreign' ... even with people from the next valley over . This is one of the reasons we decided to pass on the area.

Fortunately, much of the rest of BC is not like that. They are generally welcoming, and see new people moving in as a 'good' thing. They see it as contributing to their population growth (or stopping it's decline), and helping to stimulate their economy.

Mac
Old 12-15-2015, 01:04 PM
Banned

Arrow

East to West valley = more sunshine