Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2015, 02:59 PM

Arrow 'Buying An Acreage In BC' ... comments / questions /answers.

Note the thread title change ^

I'm getting PM's about other info, which are very helpful! So let's open this thread up to more than just wells and septic systems.

Have at 'er!

Mac

Last edited by Selkirk; 11-12-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:19 PM

Default fire - snow

Find out if the acreage is served by a local fire district. The further you are from a firehouse, the more your insurance will be.

Another thing to know is what priority your road has in terms of plowing after a snowstorm. The higher you are the deeper the snow, and usually the later in the day you will be plowed out.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:24 PM

Default Acerage

Just a couple things that my wife and I had not thought of before we bought.
Internet
Not all rural areas have high speed internet, we ended up having to use cellular Internet (air card) cost us on average $180 per month.
Not all rural areas even have cell coverage.

Insurance, due to no fire hydrant, and the distance to the nearest fire haul, insurance is very expensive. $2400 per year

Power
If you do not have a generator wired in. In the event of a power outage, you will have no water supply, until the event is over. (Limited flushes on the toilet) as well.

Check to see how much, your land taxes are?

Snow plowing, if your house is any distance from your main road, you may have to budget for plowing equipment. It's not cheap.

These are just a few things, that were forgotten about, in the excitement of
Fulfilling the dream of buying an Acerage.It would not have stopped us from buying, but should be taken into consideration.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:08 PM

Budget for a hydraulic 3 point hitch tractor, preferably with a front end loader. Older in good/reliable condition is fine unless dollars are no object. A number of nice new mid-size units are out there but they are very pricey. Mower and snow blower attachments (not a blade) are pretty much mandatory. Mickey mouse toys are usually just a waste of money, even on a small acreage - like those cute little Ford 3N Tractors.

Figure on all vehicles being four wheel drives that will not get high centered.

Consider fencing - Can be highly labor intensive to do re-do and can be costly, depending on what you want/can afford. What is there - how much to change/replace. Barb wire is utilitarian but often not what is wanted.

Look at run-offs in the spring. Where does the water run, collect, etc. What kind of soil - sand, clay, etc. How much rain/snow to deal with during the year. Clay can be very miserable.

Will it be on natural gas or propane. If gas, cost estimated to first of all get it to your gate, and secondly get it into the property. What are the monthly costs running for the property to date? Propane can be miserable in the winter months (freezing) but there a some things to mitigate against this

Electricity. 110 and/or 220 (for welding etc.). How recent was it installed, updated. Cost/month

Outbuildings - number, condition, how they will fit in with what you want now/in the future. Outbuildings are a very expensive item to build new or even to refurbish - but oh so nice. Power to them?

Cost estimate for running vehicles to and from destinations away from home as well as having to trade in units much more often (high mileage). For working people this cost is huge and often over looked.

Horses/other animals introduce many other considerations

Understand that an acreage is generally a sump-hole for money - not a problem if you go in flush and/or have high income.

How is your back? There is always heavy lifting happening and a "farmer's back" can become a reality very quickly.

Developing an acreage takes time - generally because of shortage of money - do you have that kind of time

How secure is the area from thieves when you have to be away from the land. Neighbors, police reports, etc can help out here

this is a good thread - lots of thoughts
Old 11-12-2015, 09:51 PM

Question Home Inspectors!

Im interested in doing this too, but what I can't figure out is how you tell the good home inspectors from the bad. The bad ones being the ones that are in the realtors pockets, and the good ones who are not.

Tell us how the heck to figure that out when you don't live in the area!
Old 11-13-2015, 01:51 PM

My wife and I are also contemplating this move out towards the Creston, BC area. There is some useful information in this thread without question. I presently live on a small acreage here in Alberta and we are on well water (86' well if I recall), but we're fortunate enough to be on town sewer as our acreage is very central in town. Septic is only something I've ever had to deal with at a family cabin, and because it was lake front, it had to be pumped (no field allowed). It got very expensive, very fast, to pump out that tank on a weekly basis during the busy summer months when there were lots of visitors/guests.

Owning our acreage has been challenging, but certainly rewarding. There is a lot of unseen costs without question. Outbuildings, though usually a blessing, can cost you a small fortune if they are in need of repair. If they are in good shape, what a bonus. Fences, if in rough shape, or outright missing, cost a small fortune, no matter the type. Anyway, not a lot to add, but I want to follow this thread so I'm subscribing.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:37 PM

Thumbs up Best go into it, eyes wide open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Just a couple things that my wife and I had not thought of before we bought.
Internet
Not all rural areas have high speed internet, we ended up having to use cellular Internet (air card) cost us on average $180 per month.
Not all rural areas even have cell coverage.

Insurance, due to no fire hydrant, and the distance to the nearest fire haul, insurance is very expensive. $2400 per year

Power
If you do not have a generator wired in. In the event of a power outage, you will have no water supply, until the event is over. (Limited flushes on the toilet) as well.

Check to see how much, your land taxes are?

Snow plowing, if your house is any distance from your main road, you may have to budget for plowing equipment. It's not cheap.

These are just a few things, that were forgotten about, in the excitement of
Fulfilling the dream of buying an Acerage.It would not have stopped us from buying, but should be taken into consideration.
Some nasty tasting food for thought!

Thanks Spurly!

Mac
Old 11-19-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
Im interested in doing this too, but what I can't figure out is how you tell the good home inspectors from the bad. The bad ones being the ones that are in the realtors pockets, and the good ones who are not.

I hoped someone would have responded to this question. Id really like to know!
Old 11-19-2015, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:

I'm going to make the suggestion of skipping the building inspector and go with a general contractor that actually knows how to build/rebuild a structure. A good gc will have the experience across the whole building spectrum rather than just a title and some generic forms provided by a franchise. The local hardware store/ building supply store will know who is good and who is a hack. They(the gc) will also know who is good for other things like septic, wells, etc.

My .02
Old 12-03-2015, 04:56 AM

Macleod,

my mother has purchased an acreage in Creston, and I would like to give you this advice...

MAKE SURE TENANTS ARE OUT!!!

they are now squatting on the property, and she bought the place in July, hoping to be in before summer was over.

It's such a headache - lots of squatters in the valley, so buyer beware - if there are tenants, hold back 50% of your purchase price until the tenants are out... hopefully this weekend we can hire the bailiff to get them out... FINALLY.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
Macleod,

my mother has purchased an acreage in Creston, and I would like to give you this advice...

MAKE SURE TENANTS ARE OUT!!!

they are now squatting on the property, and she bought the place in July, hoping to be in before summer was over.

It's such a headache - lots of squatters in the valley, so buyer beware - if there are tenants, hold back 50% of your purchase price until the tenants are out... hopefully this weekend we can hire the bailiff to get them out... FINALLY.
which brings up another consideration. My inlaws sold thier property in Crawford Bay Area. The real estate agents, along with the local board language are very elusive. It might help to get your hands on a board sales contract to review what you may be signing down the road.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by special_fred View Post
how much water do you really need, a 3/4 truck with a 900 gallon tank on the back taken to town once a week and half filled is a lot cheaper and can give you way better water than a well depending on the quality where you are at. its probably different in BC but in Alberta where sometimes your wells contaminated with gas from a local frac, its the only way to go.
You don't have to worry about water in the Kootenay's it's pretty much every where and very high quality. In that area if even ONE well's quality took a hit from a fracked well their would be a line of protesters a mile long..........
Old 12-03-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
You don't have to worry about water in the Kootenay's it's pretty much every where and very high quality. In that area if even ONE well's quality took a hit from a fracked well their would be a line of protesters a mile long..........
Yup... so the hole I have 150 feet deep in the East Kootenai that produces so little water I have to use a cistern, with a ridiculously high calcium carbonate and concerning arsenic content is " everywhere and very high quality".

My neighbors hole is over 700 feet deep with the same quality issues.

I think we have different standards on what is every where and very high quality.

I spent the summer on the back of a water well drilling rig in the area once upon a time ago. Finding water was a concern. Always amusing when the witchers came out and walked around in a trance for a hour only to shrug their shoulders.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:56 AM

Arrow Water well question . . .

While we're on the subject of 'water wells', what would be a good/reasonable flow rate (L/m) for a well serving a single family home?

Mac
Old 12-03-2015, 11:01 AM

Default pumping rate

imo, 5 gals/min would pretty much be a minimum. Closer to ten would be great. Many are existing on 2 plus a bit but this is probably not very satisfactory, especially if it is a deep well (over say, 125').
Old 12-03-2015, 11:18 AM

Thanks

Most of the homes I've been looking at have wells around 200ft, with 35-40L/m flow rates.

The area is in the 'west' Kootenays, so the water is pretty good quality.

Mac
Old 12-03-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
Be careful. The sewage systems are very carefully regulated in BC and for a good reason. Leak off in the system is hampered if your into poor rocky ground.

The inspectors are very fussy which is good. Why stop at the kooteneys? Go further west where snow is not a problem unless you cannot live without a snowblower.

There are some fantastic buys in the south okanagan with irrigation rights. Water no problem. Fantastic weather. And you can visit the higher altitude Kootenays for hunting or fishing as they are not so far away.
same with the cariboo
Old 12-03-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:

I don't consider any of them to be good....they can just sign off on the place and if you find out later they didn't do their job there is no recourse. They cannot be held liable for screwing up and you will end up carrying the cost of the repairs.

Just look the property over really good yourself then send in an inspector...but don't expect them to save the day if there is a problem with the property.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:42 AM

Another thought re the water. Check to see what, if any, filters are, or have been used, in the water system. Iron is not a good thing. Put some water on a spoon and see if it burns or gives off a sulfur smell. Use some soap and water to see if it is hard (few suds) or soft (suds). Hard makes for great coffee as long as it is not iron. Better yet, have the water analyzed/interpreted as a condition of sale.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:56 AM

I put in water well pumps for 30 years. east and west kooteneys. East Kooteneys have a lot of glacial till,(clay) and if not clay then bedrock so a lot of very deep wells. More deep wells than shallow wells. The deeper you go the poorer the water quality and usually the lower the water volume. You have to be 100 feet minumum from a well or water system or lake or stream to install a septic system. And you sure as hell want your well to be as far from the septic system as possible. Like the guy said 7 gallons a minute is a good well,--- if over 100 ft. and you have a good static level. (The water rises close to the surface.) If a shallow well 10 gallons is way better. A sprinkler can use up to 5 GPM. Doesn't leave much for home use when sprinkling if only 7 GPM well.
If you go for a bank loan some banks will not load money for property if you are on creek water.
On a deep well the pumping system can cost almost as much as the well and more if the well has a low volume as you now need extra storage and an extra pump to get the water from the storage system.

So do your homework well before buying anything.
You must do a water analysis before you buy the property or you could get royally screwed. A 5 year old water analysis does not cut it as far as I'm concerned. Water quality changes from season to season on some wells. Especially on shallow wells. Lots of well are high in calcium carbonate and iron. That's easy to control most of the time but some well are high in nasties like arsenic. Every thing you do must be on paper.
BC is expensive but I wouldn't move back to Alberta for anything. IT is beautiful here.
Bjay
Old 12-05-2015, 01:27 AM

Wink Basic math...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
How much do you think 900 gallons of water weighs.
Sorry if this was answered earlier.

If your talking imperial gallons then 1 Imp gallon of water weighs 10 lbs. Therefore your answer is 9000 lbs. I think you better make sure your truck and trailer are in good condition.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:20 AM
Banned

Default Irrigation Rights and Cost

Just to further my suggestion earlier I have two points of water access to irrigation rights in the South Okanagan. One is year round where I pay around 400 bucks a year all in for twenty gallons per minute for the shack.
The other point of water for irrigation is again twenty gallons per minute to cover off a couple of acres between April 15 and Oct 15. Cost is 375 per year.
Fully treated drinking quality water at 80 to 90 psi.

Don't fret about water and just pick up something in the ALR category in the South Okanagan. Better weather and good wineries to visit. Excellent shooting ranges. Friendly members. Lots of Trap shoots. If you want to fish it's everywhere if you have the time. Ice fishing hot action in the nearby higher lakes.

Do not stop in the Kootenies. Keep going west and snap up some good micro climate land and grow a few cherry, plum, apricot, peach, Etc trees.

Hope this helps so you don't have nightmares about water wells.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
I put in water well pumps for 30 years. east and west kooteneys. East Kooteneys have a lot of glacial till,(clay) and if not clay then bedrock so a lot of very deep wells. More deep wells than shallow wells. The deeper you go the poorer the water quality and usually the lower the water volume. You have to be 100 feet minumum from a well or water system or lake or stream to install a septic system. And you sure as hell want your well to be as far from the septic system as possible. Like the guy said 7 gallons a minute is a good well,--- if over 100 ft. and you have a good static level. (The water rises close to the surface.) If a shallow well 10 gallons is way better. A sprinkler can use up to 5 GPM. Doesn't leave much for home use when sprinkling if only 7 GPM well.
If you go for a bank loan some banks will not load money for property if you are on creek water.
On a deep well the pumping system can cost almost as much as the well and more if the well has a low volume as you now need extra storage and an extra pump to get the water from the storage system.

So do your homework well before buying anything.
You must do a water analysis before you buy the property or you could get royally screwed. A 5 year old water analysis does not cut it as far as I'm concerned. Water quality changes from season to season on some wells. Especially on shallow wells. Lots of well are high in calcium carbonate and iron. That's easy to control most of the time but some well are high in nasties like arsenic. Every thing you do must be on paper.
BC is expensive but I wouldn't move back to Alberta for anything. IT is beautiful here.
Bjay
Calcium carbonate in a water well?
Old 12-05-2015, 08:31 AM

Just saw this thread, Mac! Do you mean a permanent move or a vacation home? All I know is BC is COSTLY!! We have friends with vacation/rental property in Golden, and another living in Victoria. Everything is more expensive, especially insurance, gas...and taxes on everything. But now that Queen Justine will be legalizing weed, you could plant some in the back forty to help with the increased costs of living!!

If this is permanent, have you looked into healthcare? I am curious how it compares to ours.

And, why doesn't Costco set up in Fernie?? What a gold mine that store would be...

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 12-07-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post

Just saw this thread, Mac! Do you mean a permanent move or a vacation home? . . .

Permanent (see post #1), but we're a ways from pulling the trigger yet ... we still got lots to think about, learn, and do.

Mac
Old 12-07-2015, 09:01 PM

There is some good information in this thread but some goofy stuff as well.

I moved to BC 5 years ago. I can tell you BC is a very expensive place to live especially the home and auto insurance. If I was you I would start to get some prices on that stuff before you pull the trigger, it's shocking.

We are looking at moving out of BC because the real estate and cost of living are so high, but to each their own I suppose.

Dog_River
Old 12-08-2015, 02:01 PM

Wink BC = Bring Cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_River View Post

. . . I moved to BC 5 years ago. I can tell you BC is a very expensive place to live especially the home and auto insurance. If I was you I would start to get some prices on that stuff before you pull the trigger, it's shocking . . .

The wife and I have been doing lots a research and 'looking-into' these past few months, including a few trips this year out to the 'target area'.

There's no question that some things are more expensive in BC, including those two you mention above ^, but we've found that it's not all bad news! As an example, if I sell my Alberta city home and buy one (as good or better) on a small acreage in the interior of BC, I'll end up with ~$150K in my back pocket as a net profit (all costs in). And on that small acreage in BC, the property taxes are ~$1,200 less per year than they are for my Alberta house.

Then there's the other general aspect that Alberta cities can be quite expensive to live in, in general (depending on the lifestyle one leads). We know several people who moved out to the BC interior, who just seemed to naturally change their lifestyle to a more simple, less expensive one. We plan on doing the same, and we're looking forward to it.

Mac
Old 12-08-2015, 02:47 PM

You cant go wrong if you can sell out of one place and with that money buy your next place outright and still have enough $$ left over for some quality toys. Some things cost more and some dont. You dont have to worry about the little stuff so much when you owe nothing. Im sure you will love it!
Old 12-08-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
The wife and I have been doing lots a research and 'looking-into' these past few months, including a few trips this year out to the 'target area'.

There's no question that some things are more expensive in BC, including those two you mention above ^, but we've found that it's not all bad news! As an example, if I sell my Alberta city home and buy one (as good or better) on a small acreage in the interior of BC, I'll end up with ~$150K in my back pocket as a net profit (all costs in). And on that small acreage in BC, the property taxes are ~$1,200 less per year than they are for my Alberta house.

Then there's the other general aspect that Alberta cities can be quite expensive to live in, in general (depending on the lifestyle one leads). We know several people who moved out to the BC interior, who just seemed to naturally change their lifestyle to a more simple, less expensive one. We plan on doing the same, and we're looking forward to it.

Mac
Our property taxes are $360 per year, 160ac log home....there can be considerable saving on property taxes.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:13 PM

Calcium carbonate is the white stuff that plugs up your shower head. Almost all deep, bed rock wells have it in some degree.