Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I've tried it, and it's ok. Best in the World? Hardly. Not even close actually. I think someone at Crown got pics of Jim Murray with goats or pre-teen girls maybe, and asked him for a good review. Any Forty Creek Rye on the shelf is better, some by a huge margin (Double Barrel Reserve is light years better). And to imagine that the Northern Harvest is better than about 189 good single malts from Scotland that I could name? That is laughable.

But for $40 or so I guess it's good rye. Add some ice, ginger or coke, and you're good to go.
Snob.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
Highwood Rye is pretty good too..
Out of curiosity, do you also think Bud Light and Coors Light are real beer?

I'd hesitate to even call anything Highwood makes 'alcohol'. They don't mark their bottle as 'proof', because the best they have is circumstantial evidence.

It's like calling a McDonald's hamburger 'prime rib'.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Add some ice, ginger or coke, and you're good to go.
One of them are you?

For the life of me, can't mix pop with rye or rum. Couple of rocks and/or a bit of water.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:00 AM

http://www.canadianwhisky.org/review...45-alcvol.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762Russian View Post
Out of curiosity, do you also think Bud Light and Coors Light are real beer?

I'd hesitate to even call anything Highwood makes 'alcohol'. They don't mark their bottle as 'proof', because the best they have is circumstantial evidence.

It's like calling a McDonald's hamburger 'prime rib'.

Seariously. Have you tried any of the higher end products from highwood. Their 90 offerings are great and always in my cupboard.
highways is a great local distillery that makes a wide range of spirits for many markets.
Support local!!!!
Brad
Old 12-14-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
One of them are you?

For the life of me, can't mix pop with rye or rum. Couple of rocks and/or a bit of water.
Not me, I haven't mixed anything in whisky for 20 years, maybe a splash of water. Was just commenting on the 'excellence' of the Crown Northern Harvest...

And yes Matt, I have been known to be a bit of a snob about whisky, I totally admit it, but in this case just calling it like I see it. The Crown is not bad whisky. It's just not even close to being a great whisky, like the 25 year old Highland Park that won the Best Whisky in the world a couple years back and runs about $450 a bottle. THAT is great whisky.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-14-2015, 10:35 AM

I'm a crown royal man myself my question is.... How does it compare to the big bottle of Kirkland stuff at costco? Labels look similar. I know Kirkland vodka is comparable to grey goose.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:13 AM

I think the regular Crown Royal tastes like an American bourbon compared to other Canadian whiskeys now but I'd like to try the Northern Harvest.

My go-to has always been Wisers. Yes I know it's made in Ontario but it can't be beat. I have a bottle of Wisers Red Letter in the wood box kicking around but I'd rather have my cake than eat it for the time being. It'll have to be a special occasion.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:04 PM

I bought a couple bottles simply because I remembered seeing the award a couple days earlier and thought, $37 a bottle, sure..

I don't find it anything special