Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2015, 07:38 AM

Default Friending on facebook

Just wondering how you guys do your friending on facebook. I have been going on a few facbook chat groups the last year or so now and find I get a lot of people I have no clue who they are that want to befriend me. The give you no explanation why, no introduction and just want you to o.k their friend request. To me this is funny. I feel my facebook is somewhat private. I have pics of my family on there and don't really care for people who don't know me to follow me around either. If I have chatted with them and gotten to know them somewhat then o.k I get it but I get so many that out of the blue want to be friends and don't even have the courtesy to at least send me a message and explain why or introduce themselves. Am I just an oddball or does this happen with you guys and how do you handle it? I usually erase the request myself
Old 12-14-2015, 07:43 AM

I feel my facebook is somewhat private.

If you wan't Private, Facebook is not the place for you. Lot of people have found this out, to their regret.

Grizz
Old 12-14-2015, 07:47 AM

I can't understand the draw to the place. What a waste of time.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-14-2015, 07:51 AM

I get friend requests from people all the time as well, mostly from people that just want to have the most friends they can get for some reason. I always check out who they are before replying to the request and if i have no idea who they are then the request is denied.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:56 AM

If you don't know who is sending the friend request just select the option of deleting the request, works for me. I finally joined the book of face this yr, I like it for keeping in contact for whats happening in the flyfishing world.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:04 AM
Banned

I Click delete button if i didn't know you in real world
Old 12-14-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valley View Post
ditto .. i have to farcebook accounts ,,, one is a tool because of the great sites .. ie adventure rider radio ..gold mining .. firearms . motorcycles etc. .. the other one is only my family

get lots of friend requests ... DELETE
Old 12-14-2015, 08:16 AM

It happens all the time. I never accept friend requests from people I don't know. Not sure why they do it.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:17 AM

I am a bit oldschool I guess as well. If a guy doesn't introduce himself then why would he feel like I want to be his friend. Not sure what's up with people. I had a request a couple weeks ago from someone I did not know and was going to erase it. Then I got a PM on here and it was a guy who had sent it but he at least took the time to explain who he was and reasons for wanting to befriend me. That all makes sense to me.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:51 AM

It happens to me sometimes as well and just like you I find it very odd. A complete stranger who doesn't even introduce themselves, sends a friend request? A few times it has been anti hunters, but they seem to be pretty easy to spot. I'm guessing it is younger people who do this but I still find it strange. I guess that's how they end up with hundreds and hundreds of "Facebook Friends".
Old 12-14-2015, 09:54 AM

If I don't know the person, I delete the request.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:20 AM

Totally with ya there nube...
I have 6 ' friends' and that's to many. I had 7 so i deleted my wife from that list even. I already know what she does and it's even less interesting to me when its posted on her time line.
she fails to see it this way.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 12-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Banned

The only people on mine are friends and family- that's it. No acquaintances, random people, or anyone from my past that I haven't seen or spoken to in the 20 years since high school. My list is less than 80 people, I don't get some of these folks with 400-500 friends, most of whom they have no idea who they are.

It's good for sending photos for the family and there is always a good laugh or two to be had on there. Privacy settings are at the max but people still need to be careful what they post regardless. There is a CAF member who is currently being crushed beyond recognition through the military disciplinary system for posting incredibly racist comments against the new MND- not the brightest thing to do on social media!
Old 12-14-2015, 11:54 AM

I check them out to see if they post interesting stuff or not, if we have common interests, fine. Most requests are from people starting out on Facebook, who are friends of people who are friends, some are cool, some don't post anything worthwhile. Like reading the newspaper to me. Most of my feed is various hunting and shooting & fishing & music & history interests. I weed out the stuff that I find myself not reading every once in a while. Some stuff is interesting to see for a while, then gets monotonous. Then sometimes a post will lead me to something that is good as well. There are some different ways of life to learn about on there.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:21 PM

I always get a kick out of it when people tell me about when they vindictively "unfriend" someone.

...like it's really going to matter in the great scheme of things.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:16 PM

A lot of friend requests are coming from fake accounts...check them out lots don't even have a history of posts. Sometimes, FB, just seems to send them out because I've had more than a few that I questioned and they responded that they didn't send me a request.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Just wondering how you guys do your friending on facebook. I have been going on a few facbook chat groups the last year or so now and find I get a lot of people I have no clue who they are that want to befriend me. The give you no explanation why, no introduction and just want you to o.k their friend request. To me this is funny. I feel my facebook is somewhat private. I have pics of my family on there and don't really care for people who don't know me to follow me around either. If I have chatted with them and gotten to know them somewhat then o.k I get it but I get so many that out of the blue want to be friends and don't even have the courtesy to at least send me a message and explain why or introduce themselves. Am I just an oddball or does this happen with you guys and how do you handle it? I usually erase the request myself
Agree 100%
Old 12-14-2015, 01:39 PM

I don't have Facebook. Never have, never will. All the people I want to keep in touch with I do.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
I don't have Facebook. Never have, never will. All the people I want to keep in touch with I do.

X2
Old 12-14-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valley View Post
Same here, but even with people I do know, I'm picky.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:00 PM

Sucks when your famous nube....
Old 12-14-2015, 02:54 PM

Talking

I belong to a lot of groups and must smell funny as I virtually never get asked to friend anyone!
I have been asked by a couple folks that I know but I really don't want them looking at my stuff so I just deleted the requests, and they have not asked me about it, thank god.
I belong to a few political groups and man, there are some wackos out there. Some weirdo from High River was so rude to everyone, myself included, that I quit the group.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 12-14-2015, 03:02 PM
Banned

Before facebook did you have to send your "friends" friend requests.?I cannot understand the allure to the whole thing, I am obviously in the minority.

Zuckerberg has been able to monetize gossip, and wasting time at work. Hats off to the lad.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
I belong to a lot of groups and must smell funny as I virtually never get asked to friend anyone!
I have been asked by a couple folks that I know but I really don't want them looking at my stuff so I just deleted the requests, and they have not asked me about it, thank god.
I belong to a few political groups and man, there are some wackos out there. Some weirdo from High River was so rude to everyone, myself included, that I quit the group.
Serious Q- If you do not want people looking at "your stuff" why do you put it on the web?
Old 12-14-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestique View Post
Serious Q- If you do not want people looking at "your stuff" why do you put it on the web?
I have 0 friends on my Facebook account. I have it for the multitude of hunting/fishing/trapping/hunting buy and sells/etc...... Groups. Very similar to this forum in fact.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I have 0 friends on my Facebook account. I have it for the multitude of hunting/fishing/trapping/hunting buy and sells/etc...... Groups. Very similar to this forum in fact.
I'm new to face book but I'll be your friend if you'll be my friend.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
I'm new to face book but I'll be your friend if you'll be my friend.
Is 40 dollars enough? I don't have much money right now....
Old 12-14-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Is 40 dollars enough? I don't have much money right now....
Lol.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:40 PM

I get the feeling that some 'friend requests' are just looking for info from identity thieves and others with nefarious intentions. There is a lot people can discover from just perusing posts and feeds, and if you have a birthdate open to viewing you could be in a heap of trouble.

I saw one guy who was posting pics from a social media account (which I will leave nameless), and when you right clicked, it opened up the account to all the 'personal' photos he never posted to his feed. You could get him right down to his house, latest greatest firearms toys, atvs, and other bling - even his home improvements. If someone was 'following' his posts, they could have gone by his house the minute he posted he was going on vacation to a tropical beach and cleaned the place out.

Social media is just the newest way to "keep up with the Jones's" with way more downside risk.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
Same here, but even with people I do know, I'm picky.
I also belong to about 20 hunting, fishing, trapping & classified groups from BC, Ab & Mb as I spend time in all these provinces during the year.