Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2015, 07:22 PM

Default How much do farmers pay to rent land?

Just had a shareholders meeting with some guys I own land with. Anyhow, we have a 1/4 section on RR 211 on the North Saskatchewan River in the Industrial Heartland. There are approx 75 acres under cultivation. Soil is not that great. Farmer usually plants oats or alfalfa, and he pays us a ridiculously small amount.

What are farmers paying rent for less than optimal farm land in that area (between Fort Sask and Bruderheim). Any help you can offer would be appreciated.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Just had a shareholders meeting with some guys I own land with. Anyhow, we have a 1/4 section on RR 211 on the North Saskatchewan River in the Industrial Heartland. There are approx 75 acres under cultivation. Soil is not that great. Farmer usually plants oats or alfalfa, and he pays us a ridiculously small amount.

What are farmers paying rent for less than optimal farm land in that area (between Fort Sask and Bruderheim). Any help you can offer would be appreciated.
Every area is different. But I'm getting 65/acre on a quarter that is certificable organic. It's a good price for up here.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:01 PM

Oats and Alfalfa ? Or seeded oats as a cover crop and now it's alfalfa? Neither crop is a high return per acre if your getting 50-60/ acre for 75 acres your doing good.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Oats and alfa tell me it's not likely great for other crops, I've rented bad land for 30-50 and great land for 130, the variables are huge.

How is he manging the land? Is he improving the land,maintaining it or running it into the ground?
Old 12-14-2015, 08:03 PM
Banned

Are your numbers in dollars? Like $30-$50 per acre to grow a crop on?
Old 12-14-2015, 08:17 PM

Any where from 70 to 110$ an acre around here
Old 12-14-2015, 08:24 PM

You guys are going to think we are ridiculous, but I am not the treasurer, and do not deal with the farmer. The land is an investment for us, as there are a number of wells on the land.

In any event, I asked our treasurer at the meeting, and found out that we are receiving $300 year. Total.

I think the farmer has been getting a good deal
Old 12-14-2015, 08:28 PM

How sandy is it? I know there are some really sandy areas in there if it's really sandy the renter should maybe pay on crop share. $300 is pretty low.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
You guys are going to think we are ridiculous, but I am not the treasurer, and do not deal with the farmer. The land is an investment for us, as there are a number of wells on the land.

In any event, I asked our treasurer at the meeting, and found out that we are receiving $300 year. Total.

Haha you gonna wear a Santa suit to your next meeting?
If the land is not great and yield potential is low, I would still think 35-40 is more then fair for both parties.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:

Does he have to work around the wells? Does he travel far to work it? Anyone closer?

If you guys are happy with him make it work, I have lost land because someone paid more then a few years later they are begging for me to take it back as it's not being managed.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Farmer View Post
Does he have to work around the wells? Does he travel far to work it? Anyone closer?

If you guys are happy with him make it work, I have lost land because someone paid more then a few years later they are begging for me to take it back as it's not being managed.
That's an excellent point. Little cheaper to keep a good guy in place means a lot. Or the next guy might pay a whole bunch more but then you have the county sending nasty letters about cleaning up the weeds.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:02 AM

How much are your taxes?

Really Poor land, the rent should at least pay the taxes.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Either that farmer is getting one hell of a deal or your treasurer is lining his pocket.
I rent my land for $40/ acre around St. Paul AB
Even if it's crappy soil with hills, the lowest I know about personally is 30/ acre.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:04 AM

before we sold the land in 2011, we were getting $81.50 per acre near Bowden.

It always had Canola or Barley on it.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:05 AM

Ok , , being a city boy , I've got to ask , The prices that are being listed on here , I assume are ...per year ?
And a average healthy crop , on each of the different qualities of soil , would generally gross how much , net how much per acre ?

I realize that there are going to be a lot of variables , the cost of gas , probably being a large one ...

Just looking for some over all averages , once again ...an AO education
Old 12-15-2015, 08:11 AM

We have 480 acres (3/4 section) in Sask and we get around $15k a year in rent I believe. I know my dad was renegotiating with a new farmer this year so it may be more now.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBI View Post
Ok , , being a city boy , I've got to ask , The prices that are being listed on here , I assume are ...per year ?
And a average healthy crop , on each of the different qualities of soil , would generally gross how much , net how much per acre ?

I realize that there are going to be a lot of variables , the cost of gas , probably being a large one ...

Well it isn't all gravy , that's for sure and the hours put in per return ussually is not in the equation .
On average a decent input cost for canola including rent or a land payment would be between 200$/acre on the low side and 300$/ acre on the high side
If yields, quality and prices align you can have a return of 400$/ acre and up.
There are a lot of variables in between.
Wheat and barley, oats do not have the same input costs but returns are also lower.
Peas this year look like the may have a decent price next September , if you can get a decent crop ( weather permitting) they are booking for 10$ / bushel off combine. The trick is growing a half decent crop as machinery maintenance costs go up with a pea crop.
That's the short version a lot more to it and Mother Nature can be nasty.
I know of a few guys combining tough grain this fall wound up with heated grain even in Areation bins. Heated grain does not even cover input costs and may actually cost you to get rid of it.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
Well it isn't all gravy , that's for sure and the hours put in per return ussually is not in the equation .
On average a decent input cost for canola including rent or a land payment would be between 200$/acre on the low side and 300$/ acre on the high side
Wheat and barley, oats do not have the same input costs but returns are also lower.
Peas this year look like the may have a decent price next September , if you can get a decent crop ( weather permitting) they are booking for 10$ / bushel off combine. The trick is growing a half decent crop as machinery maintenance costs go up with a pea crop.
I know of a few guys combining tough grain this fall wound up with heated grain even in Areation bins. Heated grain does not even cover input costs and may actually cost you to get rid of it.
Yes tell me about it, my canola isn't heating simply because it's still laying in rows in the fiejd, this does not pay the bills either.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post

This, plus at least a $million in equipment. So many unknowns.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:16 AM

$50-$70 per acre dryland ground.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:30 AM

Ill give you $500!
Old 12-15-2015, 09:34 AM
Banned

How does one go about renting land? Can you grow what you choose? IE.Alfalfa, corn, sugar beets etc?
Old 12-15-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:

my friend owns a gravel pit just west of you and was renting about 80acres of farmable land for around $2000.00 per year. The soil is very sandy..
Old 12-15-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBI View Post

Thanks for asking!
Old 12-15-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Ill give you $500!
Lol.

Sns2... make Mike pay ur $2500 no less a month
Old 12-15-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Lol.

Sns2... make Mike pay ur $2500 no less a month
As much as I'd like to I can't. I've given a friend on this forum exclusive hunting privileges. I think he oughta rent a tractor and make a giant food plot for the bucks!
Old 12-15-2015, 04:10 PM

We charge $50-$55 per farmable acre dryland
$130-$150 per farmable acre irrigated
30% gross sales for crop share.
southern Alberta on about 4000 acres
LL pays taxes T pays everything else
Old 12-15-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
As much as I'd like to I can't. I've given a friend on this forum exclusive hunting privileges. I think he oughta rent a tractor and make a giant food plot for the bucks!