Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-14-2020, 09:18 PM

Default Who likes boobys?

All pun aside, has anybody fished much with any of the booby patterns. Willing to share experiences? Thanks.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:21 PM

23,418 visits & I'm the first guy to reply
Old 07-15-2020, 12:57 AM

They work very well,
I go with a Type 6 sinking line and 3-4ft of leader. Let it sink right to the bottom and rip it in.
Very cool to sight fish to trout in clear water and watch them charge in after the “fly”

But I’ve caught more fish on Blobs.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:42 AM

Depending on water depth I use a type 4 sink tip, type #3 full sink or a type #6 full sink. The leader is 3>4’ long with a Booby or bold hanging on the end.
I strip them along. Cast out and watch the Booby. When it disappears pulled down by the line, start stripping - fast.
In water depths over 15’, I count down.
Works OK.
Static Booby fishing kills fish. This method requires an anchored platform and a type 4>6 line c/w a Booby. Cast out, let the line completely sink to the bottom and slowly retrieve tbe Booby. The fish tend to suck down the fly to the opening of the stomach making release impossible.
This type of technique can be used for other floating patterns like dragons flies or leeches. Kills fish — lots of fish.

Don
Old 07-15-2020, 07:51 AM

Love them. I have a 24' sink tip more suited for large rivers but it works well for me on lakes too. Haven't fished in water clear enough to see the fly. I cast it out, count down to different times and strip it in fast. Note, the fish hit the fly hard and I've broken off on the strike a few times. User error. Setting the hook too hard on the excitement. Works especially well in lousy weather.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post
They work very well,
I go with a Type 6 sinking line and 3-4ft of leader. Let it sink right to the bottom and rip it in.
Very cool to sight fish to trout in clear water and watch them charge in after the “fly”

But I’ve caught more fish on Blobs.
Exactly what Morgan says ^^ Boobys saved my day quite a few times. Let em sink to the bottom and strip fast ( type 6 ) How do you fish your Blobs Morgan ?
Old 07-15-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
Exactly what Morgan says ^^ Boobys saved my day quite a few times. Let em sink to the bottom and strip fast ( type 6 ) How do you fish your Blobs Morgan ?
I’ve done well under an indicator. Also, sometimes I tie them with a short piece of white foam (kinda like the Booby eye foam) tied straight out from the back like a tail. Then I fish it on a sinking line. Works very well retrieved really slowly. All bright colours seem to work, pink being my favourite.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:43 PM

Thanks Morgan