Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-15-2009, 03:52 PM

Default Hastings lake making a comeback.

For any of you familiar with the lake located east of Edmonton you may be aware the lake winter killed about 5 years ago.

The good news is the perch population is bouncing back to say the least.The surviving population has clearly been spawning by the number of small perch in the 3-4'' range now present in the lake.There were also a number of adult fish in the 8-10'' range visible on the camera.

Nice to see the lake is going through a cycle in the right direction!

Should be good for the next hard water season.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:27 PM

well that and the stocking program brought the lake back
Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Banned

We sould just call this hassie lake south or hassie lake number 2. I guess it won't be the same because the perch will never be giving a chance to grow before the horads of people get there.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:30 PM

well this lake will be hit hard now .... lol perch plus close to edmonton equals no more perch
Old 02-16-2009, 02:01 PM

^There was talk of adding a few small pike to the lake awhile back.

I am not sure about the science behind it but lakes that winterkill often apparently somehow do better once pike are introduced according to a local fisheries biologist.

Anyone get how that works?
Old 02-16-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy perch fisher View Post
We sould just call this hassie lake south or hassie lake number 2. I guess it won't be the same because the perch will never be giving a chance to grow before the horads of people get there.
Before I opened the thread, I knew to expect a post from you about the 'horads' of meat fishermen out there....
Old 02-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Before I opened the thread, I knew to expect a post from you about the 'horads' of meat fishermen out there....
I also expected a couple of guys living in fairy tale land to try and act like it not going to happen.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:43 PM

We all knew what to expect from unhappy perch fisher. It would be good to see that lake bounce back. Good place to keep the kids happy.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:45 PM

Some of us get this info WITHOUT the board. I have gotten into it with HPF as many times as anyone out there. But I'd have never posted this info on this board or the shanty. The lake stood little chance with word of mouth doing it in back then, let alone the winter kill. The world wide web has a much bigger mouth than any of us. If this was my hole I know I wouldn't appretiate it. And dont go calling me greedy boys!!! Some of us like to put in the work and then get selective on the info we share. There are ALLOT of lazy folk that patroll this site and share little info because they haven't put the time in to have any info to provide. Why put in the time and work for info when there are people puking it allover the forum right?!

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
Some of us get this info WITHOUT the board. I have gotten into it with HPF as many times as anyone out there. But I'd have never posted this info on this board or the shanty. The lake stood little chance with word of mouth doing it in back then, let alone the winter kill. The world wide web has a much bigger mouth than any of us. If this was my hole I know I wouldn't appretiate it. And dont go calling me greedy boys!!! Some of us like to put in the work and then get selective on the info we share. There are ALLOT of lazy folk that patroll this site and share little info because they haven't put the time in to have any info to provide. Why put in the time and work for info when there are people puking it allover the forum right?!
x2 the fact is throw i think the guy that posted is posting bull everyone i heard that went out there got skunked. So yah and considering i heard it winterkilled agian i doubt the perch would be 8-10inches.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:31 PM

Default perch

so is the lake empty or is there somethign in it can someone go there adn catch and release for a day of fun in the sun kinda thing be nice to here about it

Old 02-16-2009, 10:37 PM

I would not try the lake this year. Not worth your while. Not many fish left. I don't think it is from overfishing. Winterkill and low water levels have taken most of the fish out.

Ten years ago every size of perch were abundant. The larger ones were harder to catch.

The lake that is within 1 mile (South Cooking Lake) is the lowest it has been in over 30+ years. All the lakes in the area rely on snowfall and natural runoff.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunter77 View Post
I would not try the lake this year. Not worth your while. Not many fish left. I don't think it is from overfishing. Winterkill and low water levels have taken most of the fish out.

Ten years ago every size of perch were abundant. The larger ones were harder to catch.

The lake that is within 1 mile (South Cooking Lake) is the lowest it has been in over 30+ years. All the lakes in the area rely on snowfall and natural runoff.
X2

The very last thing this lake needs is any fishing pressure. It needs time and time itself may not be enough due to the lack of water. I hope most that do make the short trip think about the future more than the present. There are beter lakes to go to if you are planning on keeping fish, and I don't know anyone that goes perch fishing just to catch and release, enless they are going to entertain kids with the lil ones. Tight lines folks.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 02-17-2009, 05:47 PM

^Wow I post something about a nearby lake and I get the wrath of Happy perch fisher...

The pleasure is all mine...

I simply stated that there are lots of small perch in the lake and a FEW bigger fish were seen on the camera (ever heard of one of those?)

I wasnt fishing the lake I was there checking the population for our lab.(need I say more?)If you want to fish go ahead, there isnt alot worth fishing for right now unless you enjoy micro fillets...

If you want to question me, thats fine.

As some of you know I work with the Alberta fish stocking program and for a local fisheries lab...But hey what do I know????

One of the goals we put forth with stocking nearby lakes is to keep people who dont want to drive 5 hrs for some decent fishing happy.Thats why we keep stocking...It also keeps pressure off some of the gems in this province.

Sorry for the rant...Carry on.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:52 PM

Default ok ok ok

hey boys sounds good to me hey thank for the info on the lake and check witht he camera some pple here think that everyones up to know good hint hint you knwo who you are now back to the camera as i was saying good job thanks for the info!

Old 02-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake View Post
^Wow I post something about a nearby lake and I get the wrath of Happy perch fisher...

The pleasure is all mine...

I simply stated that there are lots of small perch in the lake and a FEW bigger fish were seen on the camera (ever heard of one of those?)

I wasnt fishing the lake I was there checking the population for our lab.(need I say more?)If you want to fish go ahead, there isnt alot worth fishing for right now unless you enjoy micro fillets...

If you want to question me, thats fine.

As some of you know I work with the Alberta fish stocking program and for a local fisheries lab...But hey what do I know????

One of the goals we put forth with stocking nearby lakes is to keep people who dont want to drive 5 hrs for some decent fishing happy.Thats why we keep stocking...It also keeps pressure off some of the gems in this province.

Sorry for the rant...Carry on.
There are no gems anymore because people like yourself posting about them.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:50 PM

i'm curious, HPF, do you even fish?
are you so jaded by the internet ruining you "happy" life that you just sit on your computer, waiting to slam anyone willling to mention the possibility of fish still being in our waters?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkfisher View Post
i'm curious, HPF, do you even fish?
are you so jaded by the internet ruining you "happy" life that you just sit on your computer, waiting to slam anyone willling to mention the possibility of fish still being in our waters?
He has a very valid point though , why go catch all the fish out of a lake that's making the rebound , they should close it let it sit for 3 or 4 or 5 or so years and , then slowly introduce fishing to it . But instead now people are going to hear oh Perch and there you go , will turn out to be another hasse , or those other lakes close to town.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Wh wait 3-5 years when the water level is so low and it is going to winter kill the whole pile again.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:00 PM

Location: past the dead tree where the john bros faught in '52
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy perch fisher View Post
There are no gems anymore because people like yourself posting about them.
man are you ever a dik
Old 02-17-2009, 10:01 PM

Without being too much of a smartass, as we can see we already have one.

HPF I dont think you fish...I really dont.Atleast not much out of the city limits as the province is loaded with gems.

As for winterkills they happen and many lakes in the province are at risk...Anyone recall Utikima?

There are some plans to raise water levels on some lakes in the province to help out as has been done in the past.Lastyears snowfall helped in PP1 and PP2.

Without being much of a jerk HPF...There is medication for that thing that plauges you...
Old 02-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Without being too much of a smartass, as we can see we already have one.

HPF I dont think you fish...I really dont.Atleast not much out of the city limits as the province is loaded with gems.

As for winterkills they happen and many lakes in the province are at risk...Anyone recall Utikima?

There are some plans to raise water levels on some lakes in the province to help out as has been done in the past.Lastyears snowfall helped in PP1 and PP2.

Without being much of a jerk HPF...There is medication for that thing that plauges you...
yah these so called gems are all 2-3 hours 1 way. It use to be u could go 45 mins but not anymore because of guys posting about every dam lake and not giving a ****. So sure there still are some but the way people post **** i would'nt be supirsed soon your have to go 4 hours. Which most people won't bother because its just 2 far. I didn't give a **** anymore i'm sick of seeing lake after lake after lake get destroyed. It doesn't sound like u have much fishing experince around here if your that clueless to whats going on. I know who the guys that always come after me are there the same guys coming on here looking for info and begging for freebies or there the guys that really did'nt give a **** anymore. I didn't really give a ***** what u guys think you guys are looking out for your intrest and i'm trying to stop the hoards of people from coplassing these lake. If u did'nt like it u can kiss where the sun does'nt shine.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:36 AM

lol, x 10 happy HPF, it's simply logic , some people like to bend the reality for their own satisfaction while in the real world things do work differently....
I just wish more people put some thinking into what the guy's saying instead of bashing him and name calling.

Hey Wake I got a question , why would you stock a lake that is depleting in water levels knowing that the fish won't survive and yet take a big pride in it ??? , could you possibly be able to invest some cash that is being put towards stocking of this lake and turn it into balancing of the water levels first,
then stock the lake with perch, then put a ZERO limit rule for 3 years, then after the 3 years go by, put a limit of 5 keepers only ??? and introduce some pike ???, would that make sense ? or do I have to be a biologist to make logical, plain , straight forward decisions ??

Would I wanna get an elephant into my 2 bedroom condo, hoping the bhastard would survive without suitable environment that my condo quoters got to offer ???

Cheers! and have one on me
Old 02-18-2009, 02:16 PM

Nope, no, absolutley no fishing expirence on may hands, none....

Only maybe 30 years or so.Back when we had lakes 20 minutes from the city were you could limit out in 30 minutes easy.

The fact of the matter is urban sprawl, cities grow and lakes in the area usually suffer.It wasnt my plan its just the way it is...Believe me if anyone could change it they would.

As for putting fish in a lake that water levels are lowering as mentioned before bringing water levels up on lakes is something being seriously considered and yes Hastings is one being looked at.Its been done in the past and will be done again.

I worry as much about the resource as anyone else does...But I also look at it for what it is.The realities and not just the fantasies...
Old 02-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Banned

I just can't get my head around the statement.."we got our limit"?? I'm all for a 100% CnR moratorium, lets say for at least 5 or 6 years. A lot of Europe is 100% CnR...I won't make any friends with my view, but why do we need to KEEP fish? Peace Out..
Old 02-19-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
As for putting fish in a lake that water levels are lowering as mentioned before bringing water levels up on lakes is something being seriously considered and yes Hastings is one being looked at.Its been done in the past and will be done again.

I worry as much about the resource as anyone else does...But I also look at it for what it is.The realities and not just the fantasies...
Well that is exactly what I was saying, why not looking at the problem from the right angle and proceed with a solution that will work, dumping a fish in this lake makes no sense, I mean you're gonna hope that we have a mild winter for the next 10 years and lots of rain in between the seazons ??
It all comes down to management, well if you work with those guys open their eyes, as you say its time to look and focus on the reality rather then live in the fantasy - I hope it works "system" .....
You guys open your eyes and ears and MANAGE before it's too late not with just this lake but all the lakes around Edmonton, after all that's what you're getting paid for... and I do hope that you make the right decisions

Best regards Wake,

Cheers !
Old 02-21-2009, 09:08 AM

I lived on Hastings Lake for a number of years. The lake was lowered artificially around 1998 or 1999. I discovered this because my boat that I took out 2 weeks earlier was sitting on mud instead of water. I investegated and saw that the outlet on the east side of the lake was excavated! During the 5 years I lived on the lake there was 2 partial kills (one during the winter and one during the fall). And finally 1 complete kill. This lake gets lots of phosphate and nitrogen loading from cottage owners who pump sewer into the lake from holding tanks, cattle on north shores, and cattle small creek entering on the north side of lake. An Aeration project would also stop complete winterkills!
Just some thoughts Lorne
Old 02-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeahy View Post
I just can't get my head around the statement.."we got our limit"?? I'm all for a 100% CnR moratorium, lets say for at least 5 or 6 years. A lot of Europe is 100% CnR...I won't make any friends with my view, but why do we need to KEEP fish? Peace Out..

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! please noooooooo

i need fish!!!!!!!

please don't be like europe!!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:52 AM

Default hastings

ya i dont agree with three or four people goin out and catch their limit everyday on the weekend ,,,,, i have been out on the same lake for five days straight and have kept six perch all togerther and would of limited out everyday if i kept them all ,,,,when i was out friday there was the guy in the red dodge (u know who your are, pulled you out twice cause u couldnt figure out the first time your truck wouldnt make it through a drift up to your rad) then on saturday he brought three friends with then on sunday there was about 8 guys with him in three different vehicles and they ALLLLL kept their limit come on now is this not ridiculous or am i just over exagerating??????? i live 5 min from hastings and would really like to see it pick up and be a spot people can go in the future, but if everyone limits out everytime they go and 50 pepople go a weekend ,,, well that starts to add up now dosent it !!!!!!!!