Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2018, 08:53 AM

Default Man card at risk

My daughter and her friends found a magpie chick on the road. She insists on raising it and it's doing very well so far but it is a few weeks away from having enough feathers to fly. Calls to a rehabilitation place led her to believe it wouldn't last very long there. She's researched others who have raised them and released them. I roll my eyes but it is a pretty interesting little thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4010.jpg (52.0 KB, 700 views)
Old 07-01-2018, 09:20 AM

Geese, what a dilemma! At my place that would be like a McCoy living with a Hatfield

The things we do for our kids
Old 07-01-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
My daughter and her friends found a magpie chick on the road. She insists on raising it and it's doing very well so far but it is a few weeks away from having enough feathers to fly. Calls to a rehabilitation place led her to believe it wouldn't last very long there. She's researched others who have raised them and released them. I roll my eyes but it is a pretty interesting little thing.
Judging from the photo-An accidental drip of tasty gravy on the magpie's noggin should resolve your dilemma.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:30 AM

My brother and I got baby magpies when we were kids. Trained them to ride on the handlebars of our bikes. They also liked to sit on our shoulders when we walked around. They were a lot of fun. They hung around when they grew up but became more wild as time went on.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Judging from the photo-An accidental drip of tasty gravy on the magpie's noggin should resolve your dilemma.
Ha! That's what I was thinking. My Yorkshire Terrier would have it for lunch in a second, but the Newf is a pretty gentle boy.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:53 AM

It flew out the front door honey. But they do make fun pets.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 07-01-2018, 10:04 PM

I had a pet magpie when I was a kid. Smart birds! We fed it cat food and graham crackers. Eventually spent more and more time in the trees than on our shoulders and come the fall it flew off with a few wild cousins. Doubt it made it through the winter but I like to pretend otherwise.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:09 PM

Tell your daughter to teach the magpie to say some choice internet phrases and then post on youtube. Overnight sensation maybe.

I remember in the 60's we went to Al Oeming's game farm east of Edmonton with school and there was a magpie flying around saying swear words. Teachers were upset. Us kids had a good laugh.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 07-01-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:18 AM

No such thing as a man card when it comes to dads and little girls. They're only little for a very short time, enjoy your new pet lol.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:40 AM

Keep it raise it till it can fly .... while you're waiting for that ...teach it to eat ( pick up its own food..... ) I did this with a robin and I had to drive it 10 Km up the road from my house because it kept flying back to my house!!! Theres nothing wrong with your man card .... its actually called parenting right.....!!
Old 07-02-2018, 07:11 AM

Your man card doesn't get any stronger than the days you suck it up and play Barbies or raise a little bird with your girls. We only get one shot at this, enjoy!!!!!
Old 07-02-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
No such thing as a man card when it comes to dads and little girls. They're only little for a very short time, enjoy your new pet lol.
Yup! I've had my nails painted, and hair done, multiple times. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:39 AM
Banned

I've always had a love/hate relationship with magpies. On the one hand I watched one day a few years back when the decimated a nest of songbirds in my backyard...at the same time I marvel at their intelligence...they are considered one of the smartest of all animals https://earthfireinstitute.org/story...ce-of-magpies/
And as Kingrat say...ain't no such thing as a man card when it involves your kids (sons or daughters)...enjoy every minute of it...they grow up all to fast.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:05 PM

The chick was about a week old when my daughter took him in. He's flying short distances now so should be ready to leave soon! Anyway, my dog is tolerant of it except when it pulls his hair.
https://youtu.be/J2urFPZ1vQE
Old 07-19-2018, 12:35 PM

Kind of neat. Hope the rehab is a success.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:16 PM
Banned

corvids are so smart, raised several when i was young, raw hamburger meat balled up, little push behind the tongue and good to go, they all left eventually, one could say his name...charlie (charwee)
Old 07-19-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
corvids are so smart, raised several when i was young, raw hamburger meat balled up, little push behind the tongue and good to go, they all left eventually, one could say his name...charlie (charwee)
Yeah, he's been eating raw dog food and mealworms using chopsticks at first. Now he feeds himself and chases down bugs outside as well. Quite the personality.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:14 PM

I raised a crow from a few days old until 2 yrs Fed it Ceasars dog food at start. Had two small dogs that were all over it from day one and it bonded with them. Im sure it thought it was a dog. It would follow them around chase them fight them and sit on their backs. It would sit on my arm and watch TV for hours. Finally after 2 years figured I would let it go. It hung around yard for whole fall and picked up another crow. Every spring now two crows show up in the yard and hang around for a few weeks. One I can approach; the other takes off. Cant say for sure thats him but it certainly is approachable. Was a fun pet
Old 07-19-2018, 07:32 PM
Banned

I’ve heard if you snip their tongue some where they can talk. Noisy as all heck but very intelligent.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Yup! I've had my nails painted, and hair done, multiple times. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
YEP !! X50
Old 07-19-2018, 09:12 PM

Magpies can spot a firearm at 100 yards. A very wary and smart bird. To quote an Ian Tyson song, "The west ain't ever going to die as long as you can fly, magpie."
Old 07-22-2018, 08:19 AM

We have a magpie and a crow and we love them so much! She will need to teach it to be afraid of cats. They are amazing creatures.

Our crow barks like a dog when people come and go, and she says "hello". She also has a name for the dog she seems to have made up all on her own.

If she needs to rehome the magpie, let me know.

P.S.
There is no man card, and being empathetic and nurturing is absolutely part and package with being human, regardless of your dangly bits.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 07-22-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
We have a magpie and a crow and we love them so much! She will need to teach it to be afraid of cats. They are amazing creatures.

Our crow barks like a dog when people come and go, and she says "hello". She also has a name for the dog she seems to have made up all on her own.

If she needs to rehome the magpie, let me know.

P.S.
There is no man card, and being empathetic and nurturing is absolutely part and package with being human, regardless of your dangly bits.
It's not going to be long now. He flies pretty good but still sticks around and knows when it's time for bed in his cage (dog kennel with a perch and bowl nest. He's very good at spotting and eating bugs. If you live in Calgary and truly want to adopt him, let me know. Otherwise, he'll be taking his chance with nature very soon.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:02 AM

Honestly, I think we have our hands full. See if you can play some alarm calls with a cat nearby. That will be her biggest threat, I suspect. Is she is not familiar with your yard, maybe you could bring her out, and then set up a feeding station for her in a tree or on a fence as she may be a lifelong visitor.

Quote:
It's not going to be long now. He flies pretty good but still sticks around and knows when it's time for bed in his cage (dog kennel with a perch and bowl nest. He's very good at spotting and eating bugs. If you live in Calgary and truly want to adopt him, let me know. Otherwise, he'll be taking his chance with nature very soon.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 07-22-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I think we have our hands full. See if you can play some alarm calls with a cat nearby. That will be her biggest threat, I suspect. Is she is not familiar with your yard, maybe you could bring her out, and then set up a feeding station for her in a tree or on a fence as she may be a lifelong visitor.
No problem. He flies around the yard from tree to fence etc. No cats around here that I've seen out anyway. We will set up a feeding station and see how it goes. He flies pretty well but is still sticking around. any tips on how to teach alarm calls assuming we can find someone with a cat? Thanks

Last edited by Okotok; 07-22-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:23 PM

Just google/Youtube "magpie alarm call". Cats are by far the biggest threat to her, followed by cars. If you could manage a cat exposure, that would be awesome! Can you video it and post it? Would love to see.

Quote:
No problem. He flies around the yard from tree to fence etc. No cats around here that I've seen out anyway. We will set up a feeding station and see how it goes. He flies pretty well but is still sticking around. any tips on how to teach alarm calls assuming we can find someone with a cat? Thanks

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 07-24-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Just google/Youtube "magpie alarm call". Cats are by far the biggest threat to her, followed by cars. If you could manage a cat exposure, that would be awesome! Can you video it and post it? Would love to see.
Thanks. If we can arrange it, we'll try to video. I hear you on the cats thing. They are estimated to kill between 100 and 350 million birds in Canada alone every year. http://catsandbirds.ca/research/esti....0rqcYeHF.dpbs