Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2009, 01:49 PM

Talking Whitefish in Lake Isle???

Has anyone ever come across Whitefish in Lake Isle or are they just a myth? I have fished the lake for over 20 years and have not ever caught one and neither has anyone in my family. I have however seen the remains of Whitefish laying on the ice where someone was enjoying a snack on their catch. Yesterday Dad was out fishing and came across people cooking up some Whites again? He asked where they caught them and they said right where they were standing. I know the regs say they are in there and so does the Alberta Fishing Guide. Looking at all the hours we have put in here I would have thought that we would have stumbled across a couple of them. After reading an article in AO a few years ago about them in the lake I even targeted them right where the article said to go. Nothing, did not even see one. Am I missing something here? I have no problem catching Whites in any other lake, just my home base!:mad2 :
Old 03-02-2009, 02:03 PM

Are you sure they're whites and not tulibee? I've seen them feeding on the surface in the summer but I always thought they were the latter.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:05 PM

They are whites. Check the regs and the Alberta fishing Guide as well. Everywhere you look it says that there is whites in the lake.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:02 PM

Which lake Isle are we speaking of?

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:27 PM

The one off of hwy 16 across from Wabamun.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Banned

i fish that lake alot in the summer and see alot of them come up to surface to feed... were those people you were talking about near the rocky island by camp he ho ha?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:33 PM

This is new, Never seen one there before. Checked Alberta Fishing guide and regs from the 90's and there is no record of them being there. Always thought it was odd too due to the two adjacent lakes (Ste. anne, Wabamun) having them. I wonder if they are related to the Ste Anne Fish as the two lakes are conjoined by a stream that was once a lot higher than it is now. Maybe they were stocked of late, transplanted, or just always there and never noticed. I will have to try and get a DNA sample to compare to the other two lakes. How long ago did you notice them rising?

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
i fish that lake alot in the summer and see alot of them come up to surface to feed... were those people you were talking about near the rocky island by camp he ho ha?
No they were fishing in the flats off of the bigger island to the east ( in front of Silver Sands), where all the perch fisherman are in the winter. I have never seen them around the He-Ho-Ha island and that is where I fish the most. Our cabin is in the bay that looks directly at the camp and the south side of the island.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
This is new, Never seen one there before. Checked Alberta Fishing guide and regs from the 90's and there is no record of them being there. Always thought it was odd too due to the two adjacent lakes (Ste. anne, Wabamun) having them. I wonder if they are related to the Ste Anne Fish as the two lakes are conjoined by a stream that was once a lot higher than it is now. Maybe they were stocked of late, transplanted, or just always there and never noticed. I will have to try and get a DNA sample to compare to the other two lakes. How long ago did you notice them rising?
Here is a link to this years regulations. Clearly says limit of 10 on Whitefish.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/
Old 03-03-2009, 01:02 PM

I have seen a few swim by while ice fishing for pike a few years back. Big ones too. There are some in there how many I'm unsure. I have never really tried fishing for them in Isle.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
I have seen a few swim by while ice fishing for pike a few years back. Big ones too. There are some in there how many I'm unsure. I have never really tried fishing for them in Isle.
Where were you fishing on the lake? If you remember
Old 03-03-2009, 05:22 PM

Just got confirmation on another site that they are in there. Just need to know where to go to catch them. I am now on a mission!!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Where were you fishing on the lake? If you remember
Ahh, what?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Ahh, what?
Just wondering if you saw them while fishing all over the lake or just more in a certain area on the lake.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:00 PM

We saw them along the south shore just west of camp He-Ho-Ha about +/-2km in about 8 ft of water. I remember there being a slight point sticking out from the shore and we were set-up in front of that. The only time I ever saw Whites in Isle.