Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-03-2009, 12:06 AM

Default Lake between red earth creek and utikima?

Guys, was just curious if anyone knew the name of the small lake between red earth creek and utikuma? There's a campground located directly across the highway from it? Fished it this summer, had some decent luck wading in from shore. thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Banned

Is that the one near that ratty old camp and diner run by an old lady? Great place for breakfast, she told me that the lake had some big fish in it and that they were sometimes of an odd color. Havnt got around to fishing it yet if thats the one.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:44 PM

I think it could be the same one. On a map it only comes up as a body of water, no name. We pulled some decent northerns out of there, up to about 12 lbs and only fishing from shore. I assume there's bigger ones hiding in there.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Banned

What time of year did you fish it? How big was the lake? I forgot about that lake untill you mentioned it, now I realy want to go there. And I'll have to make sure I get an early start, that lady makes you a one of the cheapest, best, and biggest breakfasts to be had.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
What time of year did you fish it? How big was the lake? I forgot about that lake untill you mentioned it, now I realy want to go there. And I'll have to make sure I get an early start, that lady makes you a one of the cheapest, best, and biggest breakfasts to be had.
great breakfast, camping, and chance of catching a fish ?sounds like a sweet summer campout! lol...heck I'd drive for a few hours for a good post camping breakfast
Old 03-03-2009, 06:22 PM

Default Lake

I have fished the lake before and it is across from Artisans the nice lady is named Carol and she will put you up and feed you very cheaply.I hunt up there every year and make it a point to stop in and see her.She is one mean cook. She did up some partridge for me one year. I also shot a bear that had been climbing on her roof and generally giving her a hard time.There are decent jack and perch in the lake as for any other species I'm not sure. If you go up believe me she will treat you right.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:00 PM

We fished it in mid august, we attempted to fish utikima but because the water levels were so high we couldn't cast out into our usual area. We fished where someone would usually launch a boat I'm assuming, down the small cutline right across from the campground, could be easy to get a canoe or smaller aluminum into it. Later in the evening there were northerns everywhere right in the bay rolling on the surface, had some follow figure 8's right between our feet. Had a great time at "zipperlip pond" lol
Old 03-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Banned

She'll set you up alright unless you are affiliated with tellus mobillity. The first time I stopped in there some representative from tellus had made the mistake of asking her if she was happy with the cell service in the area, he was doing his best to choke down his meal and get out while she kept up a non stop stream of mildly abusive language directed at him. So please dont tell her I called her camp ratty and that I called her old.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:04 AM

Default Artisans

Don't worry I wont. Yes I hunt 542 but on the other side of red earth.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:53 PM

Default Name of lake

I'm not sure if it's the official name, but we have always known it as ghost lake and always caught good perch until it winterkilled a few years ago. Have you fished utikima this winter? If so how did you do and is there a lot of flood water and vehicle access/ Thanks...
Old 03-04-2009, 04:12 PM

I have never caught a perch in my life. I only started fishing this year. Is red earth creek and utikima far from calgary?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Banned

Other side of red earth is 541 now, and yes mgm, red earth is about 7 hours north of you.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:27 PM

Thanks Cal... Appreciated!