Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you believe in evolution or creation?
Creation 119 29.38%
Evolution 286 70.62%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger257 View Post
I am still stuck on the fact that there seems to an excellent understanding of adaptation on this earth , yet not one post in this entire thread has explained how life is/was formed by evalution. Science has yet to show how to create life, only how to duplicate and modify life forms.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
What does it take to make life? Simply amino acids and energy.

Very simple isn't it?
Old 06-11-2017, 04:15 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
You sound like my wife.

Never been to church doesn't pray or observe any relationship with God but believes because she's scared not to .... just in case.

That's how religion works.
Fear of the unknown...so you wrap yourself around a thought that makes you feel good and along the way you find a few more to sit and listen to your story.
This is not uncommon and has been going on for thousands of years.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-11-2017, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post
Having read your previous posts, I have no doubt you do not have the background to understand whether its mathematically possible or not. You've reached a conclusion without this knowledge as it fits what you are comfortable with.
Nobody has attempted to explain it...
Old 06-11-2017, 04:21 PM

On the lighter side.

One day upon discovering all knowledge a scientists went to God and told him he is no longer needed. He said science has figured it all out and can get along just fine without God now. So God being a good sport said "Ok I will challenge you to a little competition then. We will each create a man just as I did with Adam. Whoever does a better job wins. If I win you will agree to worship me and if you win I will go away."
The scientists agrees to the terms and they begin. The scientist bends down to grab up some dirt to get started and God stops and says " Whoa whoa whoa. Get your own dirt!"

Old 06-11-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I am still stuck on the fact that there seems to an excellent understanding of adaptation on this earth , yet not one post in this entire thread has explained how life is/was formed by evalution. Science has yet to show how to create life, only how to duplicate and modify life forms.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 06-11-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
On the lighter side.

One day upon discovering all knowledge a scientists went to God and told him he is no longer needed. He said science has figured it all out and can get along just fine without God now. So God being a good sport said "Ok I will challenge you to a little competition then. We will each create a man just as I did with Adam. Whoever does a better job wins. If I win you will agree to worship me and if you win I will go away."
The scientists agrees to the terms and they begin. The scientist bends down to grab up some dirt to get started and God stops and says " Whoa whoa whoa. Get your own dirt!"

Old 06-11-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Nobody has attempted to explain it...
Did you miss this post then?

Mutations occur when a new individual is formed. With humans and other vertebrates, this is at conception. (several types including: substitution, deletion, insertion, duplication, repeat expansion, etc) These mutations will then be replicated in almost all the new individuals cells. Last time I checked, in humans, research shows each of us, has between 6-8 resulting genes that neither of our parents possessed.
Most are harmless, some are harmful, a few are fatal, and a small few are even beneficial. So, beneficial mutation (new gene) only takes the time it takes to conceive.
The term beneficial needs to be looked at too as a gene might be helpful in one environment but detrimental in another. This is important as a gene may be carried for hundreds of generations within a species but selective pressures do not increase or decrease its frequency until environmental conditions warrant. (research the gene for sickle cell)
So, to conclude it only takes seconds for a mutation (new gene) to occur. I think you should expand your position based on the last phrase of your post, the part about the percentage of beneficial genes, once you do, I will address that argument with my position.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/m.mic.co...d-from-nothing

There's 1.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
and yet religion has yet to prove the existence of omnipotence thats not fallacious haha. Not one person that has talked about creationism shows understanding of the natural world and how to interpret data.
You are right! Religion has not proven that, however faith believes in God. Faith? You either have it or you don't! Its a gift from God. You will only get the gift if you are willing.

BTW have I mentioned that faith is not about taking sides between evolution or creationism?
Old 06-11-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
There is only one problem with their theory. They still haven't been able to create life!
Old 06-11-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
There is only one problem with their theory. They still haven't been able to create life!
There are lots of scientific theories that will likely never be recreated in a lab.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:47 PM

So... I should just have faith that they are right?
Old 06-11-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post

...Creationism will always be argued because some people just can't fathom that life could possibly exist without some supernatural involvement. My question to you is what godly thing created the godly thing that created us? When does that never ending loop stop? What seems more realistic

A) A supernatural entity(with no physical or scientific proof of ever existing) magically appear and then deciding to create life.

B) Somehow the creation of the most basic of atoms that which over millions of years combined to form ...

Do you see the irony of you, after belittling creationism,
in your "more realistic" option (B)...

had to use the word "CREATION".
Old 06-11-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
However, these findings indicate that something from nothing might not be as far-fetched idea as it seems.

Might not be as far-fetched, but still not proven. Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades Close is still a MISS
Old 06-11-2017, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:

You've missed the numerous posts that have clearly stated that evolution does not attempt to define how life on earth started. It only describes how life changed and evolved.

That being said, there are lab experiments that have artificially made RNA, the precursor to DNA, which all life requires. Scientists are a step closer to actually producing life in the petri dish.

Citation
Old 06-11-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta270 View Post
You've missed the numerous posts that have clearly stated that evolution does not attempt to define how life on earth started. It only describes how life changed and evolved.

That being said, there are lab experiments that have artificially made RNA, the precursor to DNA, which all life requires. Scientists are a step closer to actually producing life in the petri dish.

Citation
According to that article we are back to the Marvin the Martian theory then.
I am trying to understand why it is an "Evolution vs. Creation" thread rather than "The evolution of creation" if evolution is not attempting to define how life started?
Old 06-11-2017, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am trying to understand why it is an "Evolution vs. Creation" thread rather than "The evolution of creation" if evolution is not attempting to define how life started?
Because to many creationists think that Evolution and Creation is the same thing, when it isn't. False equivalency.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:22 PM
Banned

For an interesting discussion on evolution vs. creation, this podcast just came out.

Go to 1:21 of the podcast for the start of the discussion. Many of the same issues and arguments discussed here are outlined. It may be a worthwhile listen.

http://recoveringfromreligion.libsyn...logy-professor
Old 06-11-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
True. Google it. There's lots to read. Lots of scientific research going into it. You asked I googled and attached the first article I came to.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Marin the Martian coming down and starting life is a more believable scenario than a magic man in the sky. I'd be more likely to buy into life coming here from somewhere out of infinite space and jump starting life on earth than God pointing his finger and zap creating a zebra.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:30 PM

In school.

We teach evolution.

We don't teach creation.

Pretty much done here.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta270 View Post
Because to many creationists think that Evolution and Creation is the same thing, when it isn't. False equivalency.
Correlation does not mean causation. Adaptation (Evolution) is correlated to creation the same way a race track is to the starting line. But if you only see the end of the race you have know way of definitively determining who was first off the line.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
and yet religion has yet to prove the existence of omnipotence thats not fallacious haha. Not one person that has talked about creationism shows understanding of the natural world and how to interpret data.
That is about as honest and correct as saying that science and creationism are mutually exclusive. There are no "scientists" that are Christians? These Christian "scientists" show no understanding of the natural world and how to interpret data? You're putting creationists into a box of your own making. That box leaks...
Old 06-11-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
In school.

We teach evolution.

We don't teach creation.

Pretty much done here.
hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm not Catholic but maybe you should click on this link: https://www.cssd.ab.ca/AboutUs/Missi...s/default.aspx
Old 06-11-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
In school.

We teach evolution.

We don't teach creation.

Pretty much done here.
If history is any indication then "In school" is a pretty poor yard stick in which to measure the truth!
Old 06-11-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm not Catholic but maybe you should click on this link: https://www.cssd.ab.ca/AboutUs/Missi...s/default.aspx
Maybe I should edit my post to say in science in school.

And cssd can't teach creation as fact. Actually pretty much everywhere in North American creation can't be taught as fact. Many court cases and forum arguments like this one have been had.

Can't teach creation as fact.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:51 PM

I've been following this thread for a couple of days, and have been

I just LOVE the ol' creation/evolution argument that I've been hearing for decades because BOTH SIDES think they have a Direct Pipeline to Absolute Universal Truths!

They Don't!

to all of you!!

Last edited by stuckincity; 06-11-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:52 PM

Why do we have to believe in creation or evolution or whatever? Why can't we just live and die. Are we that insecure we have to have a reason to exist? Why do so many have to chase a carrot dangling at the end of the trail to make the journey worthwhile. Life is to short for that. Fear of the unknown seems to make a lot of people uncomfortable. I try not to speculate on what if's, all I know is what is apparent to me in my life and the environment I live in with the thought that this one life is pretty much all there is. If there is a loving, all knowing father of life, a wonderfully benevolent creator I think he would make his existence apparent to all, there would be no non believers. The people he shows himself to get to have everlasting life in heaven. Those he doesn't show himself or are born with questioning minds that do not allow them to have blind faith get everlasting life in the fires of hell. What kind of a twisted being does that? Well I guess when we die we'll find out. Anyway if I get to the pearly gates I'm gonna do my best to kick his ass cause he screwed up when he made this 'creation'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
That kinda shoots down the theory of evolution doesn't it now.

Because at one point in history, all species had to have existed as only two members of that species. If the theory of evolution is correct.
Your premise is incorrect. You just need the genetic trait passed along. The male can pass the trait on to many offspring via different females and vice versa.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Banned

Quote:
If history is any indication then "In school" is a pretty poor yard stick in which to measure the truth!
You are typing on a computer developed by those that learned the truth about science in school, in all likelihood, those who graduated in the past two decades.

I'd say schools generally did pretty good.
Closed Thread