Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-17-2023, 10:37 PM

Default PAL Verification When Selling Rifle

Are we required to either phone the CFC or go online to the website and verify the PAL of the buyer?

If so, does this process only confirm that everything is OK with the buyer's PAL?

Is there any other information that they collect with this process? Is it letting them know that this person actually bought a rifle of mine? Or is it just entering their number and getting back a response that "you're good to go"?

If I look at the buyers PAL and see that it is not expired, is that verified enough?

Thanks for any info.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:53 PM

I just read this on the website:

Transferring a firearm
Non-restricted Firearms

You do not need to register non-restricted firearms, but the transferor (seller) must obtain confirmation of the validity of the transferee's (buyer's) firearms licence, prior to the transfer of a non-restricted firearm.

The transfer of a non-restricted firearm may take place only after a reference number has been issued. The reference number is valid for a period of ninety (90) days or for the remaining period of validity of the transferee's (buyer's) licence. If a reference number expires before the physical transfer of the firearm, a new reference number must be requested.

Online: The licence verification process can be initiated online by the transferor (seller) through the Individual Web Services or Business Web Services portals.

The transferor (seller) will be required to provide the following information:

the transferee's (buyer's) licence number, date of birth, and email address
declaration that the transferor (seller) has taken reasonable steps to verify that the transferee (buyer) is the holder of the licence that is the subject of the reference number request
The transferor (seller) will need to ensure that the transferee (buyer) who presents themselves for a transaction looks the same as the photograph on the firearms licence presented. This may be more difficult in the online environment.

The transferor (seller) may ask the buyer to engage in a video call or other means that would allow the transferor (seller) to have confidence that the persons presenting themselves as the transferee (buyer) and the licence the transferee (buyer) presents are the same. Alternatively, if a visual comparison is not possible, the transferor (seller) may ask the buyer to present a second photo ID that is issued at the federal, provincial, or municipal level.

If a reference number can be issued, both the transferor (seller) and the transferee (buyer) will receive a message in the portal message centre. In addition, the reference number and expiry date will appear on the screen moments after the completed request is submitted.

In the event a reference number cannot be issued, the transferor (seller) will be advised to have the transferee (buyer) contact the CFP to obtain more information. In addition, a message will be sent to both the transferor (seller) and transferee (buyer) through the portal message centre identifying that the reference number cannot be issued.
-----------------------------------------------------
So it gives you a reference number that's good for 90 days, but they don't actually know if you went ahead and sold the rifle to that person?

To me this just seems like one step closer to a long gun registry. But I don't see anywhere that I provide info on the rifle or confirm that the sale went through. So please tell me I'm being paranoid.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:05 PM

What are guys doing at the gun shows?
Old 01-18-2023, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
So it gives you a reference number that's good for 90 days, but they don't actually know if you went ahead and sold the rifle to that person?

To me this just seems like one step closer to a long gun registry. But I don't see anywhere that I provide info on the rifle or confirm that the sale went through. So please tell me I'm being paranoid.
You are correct when stating that the government doesn't know if a firearm was actually sold. In a private sale, no info about any firearm needs to be provided, only the buyer's PAL#, DOB, and email address is required to obtain a reference #. The reference # is supposed to be confirmation that the seller has "took the extra step" to confirm the validity of the buyer's PAL.

Retailers do need to record the info about the firearm though, for their own records, and retain that info for a ridiculous amount of time. The info on the firearm isn't provided to the Feds automatically though. I'd guess that almost all retailers have always recorded the info on firearms sales for their own purposes (warranty, sales records, etc.), so obtaining a reference # to confirm someone's PAL, seems to be mostly an exercise for the government to say "that we're doing something". The RCMP could request that info from retailers, but that bridge hasn't been crossed yet.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:15 AM

One of the stupidest ideas these liberals have had. All it is designed for is to inconvenience firearms owners.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:33 AM

Default Program idea or law?

Is this checking the PAL status an idea some one in the firearms program wrote into their policy?

Is the requirement to online verify in the Firearms Act ?

Will try to look this up later today.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:20 AM

Surprised this is new to anybody. Came into force last year. Most people I know, however, choose to ignore it.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
One of the stupidest ideas these liberals have had. All it is designed for is to inconvenience firearms owners.
Absolutely it is