Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-22-2023, 02:19 PM

Default Anybody Still Cast Bullets for Their Rifles

Just wondering if anybody still shoots casts bullets for their rifles, I used to cast 7mm - 150 gr to shoot in my 7TCU but haven't cast any for probably 30 years.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:27 PM

Default cast bullets

Did most of my casting for the odd and unusual stuff. Mostly old double barrel rifles. The bullets carry enough weight and with the old guns, would have to stalk in close or off bait (shot numerous bears with them) anyways.
Have taken moose, deer, and numerous black bears with cast. Could never seal the deal with elk.
Only ever retrieved one bullet to check retention, as all the others were pass- throughs, and that was with plain old wheel weight castings.
Still have a number of molds if there is something in specific you are needing.I have a good supply of bullets made up, with bullets to spare on most.
Old 01-22-2023, 03:39 PM

Just starting to get into it soon. A friend is going to do 38-55, 38 and bucksot and slugs. Let me know what you’d like to get rid of if you’re thinking about selling any of it.
Old 01-22-2023, 03:43 PM

I cast for my .303, 9.3x72R drilling , and my 8.15x46R shuetzen rifle, as well as making shot and casting for my muzzle loaders .
Cat
Old 01-22-2023, 08:32 PM

I was more or less just thinking out loud, I found a mold and RCBS lube sizer die for the 7TCU that I used to use, thought they all went with my other casting supplies when I cleaned them out and it got me wondering if guys still did that. I cast and shot 10's of thousands for the 7TCU and 44 Mag when I shot IHMSA as there was a cast bullet category to shoot in.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:23 AM

Default cast

I started shooting muzzle loaders last year, so I thought I would start casting as well. I have picked up a few molds , a furnace and some of the misc accessories and a couple good books. Been scrounging some pure lead for the muzzle loaders and collecting some wheel weights for some centerfire bullets as well . Id like to cast some in .45 70 and .303. Once it warms up a bit I will try my hand at it.
Any tips are welcomed.