Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-20-2014, 09:08 PM

Default Ejection problems on my Ruger 10/22 ideas??

My rifle only ejects the round after firing, so on my last shot if I try to manually pull the bolt back to eject the round so it's cleared it won't eject. If I manually run the bolt back cycling the rounds to check the function it will eject every round.Recently took it apart and cleaned it using a few drops of oil in the receiver and on the bolt however whipped all access out. Didn't break the bolt down or really touch the ejector. Also have adjusted the barrel lately so the ejector is pretty much dead on center in the notch for it on the barrel on the replacement to my green mountain target barrel. Using factory mag on my 10/22 about 3 yrs old now and cci segmented hp 1640 fps. Also a green mountain target barrel. Any ideas? That last round is just stuck and the ejector doesn't wanna grab er when I go to manually pull my bolt back.Thanks folks.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:43 PM

may want to look at case length on segmented . They are the same as stingers if I'm not mistaken . So correct me if I'm wrong but may not be good for your target barrel
Old 04-20-2014, 09:48 PM

I had the same issue on one of my 10/22's that had an aftermarket barrel. Turned out the groove the ejector fits into to grab the case wasn't deep enough. Went back to the factory barrel, and it worked perfectly. Then I changed to a little better after market barrel and it's been good since.

Hope it helps,
Old 04-20-2014, 10:08 PM

I also swapped in a volquartsen edge extractor and it's night and day. I think I got it at Brownells for like 11 or so but I'm sure P&D or milarm would have them in now as well. I always use steel lipped mags as well as I have friends with aftermarket plastic lipped mags and it jams feeding. It never did like and rounds with a truncated nose like yellow jackets so I stick to something like federal bulk 525 or no issues.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:17 PM

Here's a warning from the Ruger 10/22 manual. Lots of posts of not feeding stingers properly.

“Stinger” cartridges have a longer case than 22 LR cartridges loaded to U.S. Industry specifications. They can stick in the tighter chambers of target rifles, including the Ruger 10/22 Target Rifle, which can result in a hazardous ruptured case and release of hot powder gasses and brass when fired.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:28 PM

Keep in mind that GM prints this warning right on the barrel. I also have problems from time to time mostly with segmented hp as well but since i make sure the gun is unloaded before i even get up to go to the truck its no problem to find one last gopher to fire at and once fired the shell ejects fine.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:38 PM

Thx for all the helpful tips guys, the rifle was doing the same sort of
Thing with the cheaper cci target ammo which I think the case is standard size. I'm gonna try a new extractor too.True enough with the rugar, and GMB warnings.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 PM

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-10-22-ri...ally-work.html

I also added the hammer and sear kit. Lightened up trigger as well.