Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-22-2014, 08:20 AM

Default rifle shooting rest

What are your thoughts . If you put a pile on a hyskore gun stand strap it down and use the hydraulic trigger so theres no human errors in the shot and dial it in to different ranges . It should be dead on right and after while out hunting anything you miss is cause of the shooter not the gun . Thus pointing out the problem .

This is a debate my friend and I are having please help on this
Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 AM

I'd be willing to bet that even without all that extra stuff, that 95% of missed shots at reasonable hunting ranges are shooter error.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy nova View Post
What are your thoughts . If you put a pile on a hyskore gun stand strap it down and use the hydraulic trigger so theres no human errors in the shot and dial it in to different ranges . It should be dead on right and after while out hunting anything you miss is cause of the shooter not the gun . Thus pointing out the problem .

This is a debate my friend and I are having please help on this
Not automatically so, the POI will be sometimes very different from field positions than from a solid rest bewcause of the way the gun reacts under recoil.
It also does not mean that the rifle has not been knocked about , or that the screws have not loosened, etc., or that the gun is not succeptale to humidity and temperature changes .
Not tha it matters much, because most times a miss is caused by a loose nut behind te bolt, even wit a rfle that is not what some would consider accurate.

Cat
Old 04-22-2014, 09:58 AM

Well that makes sense . So all and all up keep on the rifle and tons of practice is what I should tell him . Use the rest to help find zero and then pull it off and fine tune zero and go forward from there .
Old 04-22-2014, 01:20 PM

Ammunition can play a big part of the accuracy of a rifle. Sighted in with Winchester HV bulk ammo at 25 yards. Then I tried CCI MiniMags, Winchester Target, Russian Target, Remington bulk Bucket and old Winchester Super X. The Winchester HV and Remington Bulk Bucket had very close groupings and point of impact. The CCI were right and low by about an 1.5" The Russians were low by over an inch and the loosest group of all. The Winchester Target were also low but to the left consistently. The target I used has 6 bulls-eyes on the 8 1/2" by 11" page. A friend was with me and two others were shooting at the range. I had done this little experiment many times as different rifles will print differently with different ammo. Shoot what you sight in with. This was done from a "Steady Rest" brand rest that I have been using for several years. I verify by using a tripod rest as my old body isn't as steady as it once was. I buy a couple of flats of bricks each year so they are all from the same ammo batch. It's all about accuracy! And repeatability! when you are shooting a gopher or magpie, your target is smaller than an egg. We live by a golf course, their little white egg shaped rubber round thing are the best targets I can find to practice 50 to 100 yards shots when the gophers aren't out! They bounce nice but don't run and hide down their holes!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:26 PM

More importantly prior to your shot you should take a knee and think things through.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:08 PM

A rifle that is strapped down, or otherwise prevented from recoiling naturally, will often shoot to a different point of aim, than if it was held by a person.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A rifle that is strapped down, or otherwise prevented from recoiling naturally, will often shoot to a different point of aim, than if it was held by a person.
Bigtime!!!! A person will wield a gun differently than one that is strapped down. How the recoil is absorbed will also play into effect.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And in a wood stock, ends up with a crack behind the recoil lug recess or an action screw hole.

Nothing beats a good front rest and rear bag.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:20 AM

Rests are for load development, and or load evaluation( hunting rifles)

Get the damned thing off the rest and shoot it from field positions, yes the POI changes, and many folks do not realize this.

There are no absolutes