Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-27-2022, 12:21 PM

Default Tikka t 3x Lite Veil Wideland

just inquiring for my son thats interested in this rifle . Thinking in a 300 win mag . Is anyone familiar with this make of rifle or happens to have one . I know optics is personnel choice like calibers but what suggestions on a variable with range markings on scope . Hunts around chilliwack , kamloops etc. Open cut blocks & some open meadow land hunting . Elk , Deer , Moose Any information welcome , Thank You
Old 01-27-2022, 01:43 PM

I’ve handled them but never shot one. I’m sure they would be great, it’s a Tikka.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:01 PM

Like any Tikka, I think you can’t go wrong although I have no experience with the Veil Wideland.

So long as he is not recoil shy and doesn’t mind using hearing protection (read: muzzle brake) then it is a good choice.

Honestly, given the moose/elk/deer in cut blocks scenario, I would pick up a T3X Lite Stainless in 30.06 and call it a day knowing you’ve made a great purchase.

If you want something that is a cut above, I would recommend a Sako 85 rather than a dressed up T3X like the Veil.

PS: you’re a great dad!
Old 01-27-2022, 08:59 PM

Default Tikka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Like any Tikka, I think you can’t go wrong although I have no experience with the Veil Wideland.

So long as he is not recoil shy and doesn’t mind using hearing protection (read: muzzle brake) then it is a good choice.

Honestly, given the moose/elk/deer in cut blocks scenario, I would pick up a T3X Lite Stainless in 30.06 and call it a day knowing you’ve made a great purchase.

If you want something that is a cut above, I would recommend a Sako 85 rather than a dressed up T3X like the Veil.

PS: you’re a great dad!
Wideland is just the stock and ceracoat colours.

I have a Veil alpine in 3006. Fluted barrel and bolt. Very smooth action.

Light, accurate and easy to shoot with the brake and a limbsaver.

hearing protection is a must with the brake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1D319C67-98FA-4D9E-9F42-71250B7E865A.jpg (39.2 KB, 83 views)
Old 01-27-2022, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail200 View Post
just inquiring for my son thats interested in this rifle . Thinking in a 300 win mag . Is anyone familiar with this make of rifle or happens to have one . I know optics is personnel choice like calibers but what suggestions on a variable with range markings on scope . Hunts around chilliwack , kamloops etc. Open cut blocks & some open meadow land hunting . Elk , Deer , Moose Any information welcome , Thank You
I own one in 270 Win. It feels solid, action is very smooth. Shoots good. It was new in box and this past fall was the first season with it. I was loving it until it decided to fire when I closed the bolt...

That happened mid-November. Still dealing with their warranty on it. They tested it in their facility in Ontario, found nothing and were going to send it back to me. I got on the phone right away and said don't send it back until you find something or replace the trigger group or the replace the whole rifle in kind (this was done respectfully...just saying). That was about two weeks ago and haven't heard back from them yet. I actually came on here tonight to post about the issue I am having for advice on how to deal with them. The rep has been reasonable to deal with (other than the time it's taking and trying to send it back saying there is nothing wrong with it lol) but I am choked as the price tag is around $1700. Tikka has a great reputation for their quality; I'm dissapointed to say the least.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogseal View Post
I own one in 270 Win. It feels solid, action is very smooth. Shoots good. It was new in box and this past fall was the first season with it. I was loving it until it decided to fire when I closed the bolt...

That happened mid-November. Still dealing with their warranty on it. They tested it in their facility in Ontario, found nothing and were going to send it back to me. I got on the phone right away and said don't send it back until you find something or replace the trigger group or the replace the whole rifle in kind (this was done respectfully...just saying). That was about two weeks ago and haven't heard back from them yet. I actually came on here tonight to post about the issue I am having for advice on how to deal with them. The rep has been reasonable to deal with (other than the time it's taking and trying to send it back saying there is nothing wrong with it lol) but I am choked as the price tag is around $1700. Tikka has a great reputation for their quality; I'm dissapointed to say the least.

I'd buy a regular T3x, preferably in stainless and call it a day. Like the 270wsm currently in the Buy & Sell. Ahemmm. Not enough in the veil to warrant the bump in price imo but this is what happens when Sako gets cheap and discontinues the Roughtech series, which was a big step up from the regular T3's.

No entry level Sako anymore so now we're stuck with a T3x with the same crap stock, same crap detach mag, same "metalic" bolt shroud which is really just plastic, same junk recoil pad, and yadda yadda for an extra $600. For a fluted bolt, some ugly camo paint, a muzzle brake and some cerakote. Big whup.

Good thing Tikkas shoot well despite all the plastic because these new versions are miles over priced. For Veil model coin you can add $100 and buy a Christensen Mesa which is heads and tails a better rifle than any T3x built.

The wood stock Hunter model in Stainless is the nicest looking rifle in the Tikka lineup but still sufferers many of the aforementioned cheap points unfortunately.

Last edited by 270person; 01-28-2022 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
No entry level Sako anymore so now we're stuck with a T3x with the same crap stock, same crap detach mag, same "metalic" bolt shroud which is really just plastic, same junk recoil pad, and yadda yadda for an extra $600. For a fluted bolt, some ugly camo paint, a muzzle brake and some cerakote. Big whup.
Lol. But I agree, they seem pricy.

Why did they ever discontinue the Roughtech? Sure glad I got on that “discontinued” pricing though. Should have bought both that they had in stock (.308 and 30-06; only bought 30-06).
Old 01-28-2022, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Lol. But I agree, they seem pricy.

Why did they ever discontinue the Roughtech? Sure glad I got on that “discontinued” pricing though. Should have bought both that they had in stock (.308 and 30-06; only bought 30-06).

I guess so they could fill the void with the cheaper to build Tikkas and not miss a beat. Smart marketing but guys buying them are getting hosed.

I doubt the Roughtechs had that big a following for Sako and thats really too bad. Many didn't know the step up features from the Tikka T3 but there were lots i.e. the B&C stock, 3 lug bolt, 3 position safety, metal lipped mag that couldn't fall out of the rifle, fluted barrels, proper recoil pad, aluminum reinforced bedding in stock, proper sized actions, etc. Great rifle for $13 - 1400 that now would likely be butting up against the infinitely ugly Finnlight for price. Cant have that so "cue the lipstick on a pig Tikkas" to fill the void.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:10 AM

Quote:
I guess so they could fill the void with the cheaper to build Tikkas and not miss a beat. Smart marketing but guys buying them are getting hosed.

I doubt the Roughtechs had that big a following for Sako and thats really too bad. Many didn't know the step up features from the Tikka T3 but there were lots i.e. the B&C stock, 3 lug bolt, 3 position safety, metal lipped mag that couldn't fall out of the rifle, fluted barrels, proper recoil pad, aluminum reinforced bedding in stock, proper sized actions, etc. Great rifle for $13 - 1400 that now would likely be butting up against the infinitely ugly Finnlight for price. Cant have that so "cue the lipstick on a pig Tikkas" to fill the void.
Prophet River has a tikka roughtech in 270 for $1300
Old 01-28-2022, 06:44 AM

It's way overpriced for a Tikka, For the extra money,you get fluting, that removes very little weight, different colors, and a brake that requires you to wear hearing protection while hunting. I like Tikka, but not in 300win mag, and not at that price.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:18 AM

If I could find a stainless fluted synthetic Tikka in a LH 6.5 PRC I would probably buy it and sell my Mesa. To me the length of pull feels short on the Mesa, I don’t like the feel of the stock and mine doesn’t shoot as good as my Tikkas.

I’m not sure what the hype is with Sako. I’ve owned one, it didn’t shoot great. My buddy has owned several and they didn’t shoot great. I’ve yet to see a Sako shoot groups as small as what most Tikkas will.

Yes Tikkas are getting pricey, but what isn’t.. they just plain work.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Prophet River has a tikka roughtech in 270 for $1300

Really good rifles for the price. Same price basically as a T3x stainless with a lot more "bang" for the buck.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
If I could find a stainless fluted synthetic Tikka in a LH 6.5 PRC I would probably buy it and sell my Mesa. To me the length of pull feels short on the Mesa, I don’t like the feel of the stock and mine doesn’t shoot as good as my Tikkas.

I’m not sure what the hype is with Sako. I’ve owned one, it didn’t shoot great. My buddy has owned several and they didn’t shoot great. I’ve yet to see a Sako shoot groups as small as what most Tikkas will.

This doesn't make real good sense. The barrels on both are made in the same place, Sako owns Tikka. Unless all of your Sakos had bedding issues them being less accurate than Tikka is really quite odd.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
This doesn't make real good sense. The barrels on both are made in the same place, Sako owns Tikka. Unless all of your Sakos had bedding issues them being less accurate than Tikka is really quite odd.

You nailed it. They just aren't.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post

You like the "feel" of the Tikka synthetic stock? Might be the first time I've heard that to be honest. The T3 stock was abysmal. The T3x is only marginally better but at least it doesnt sound like a paddle hitting the side of an aluminum boat when you walk in the bush anymore. Do you like the plastic mags, trigger guards, and bolt shrouds too?

At $1700.00 I'm sure the veil shoots great likes most Tikkas, but most $1700.00 rifles do.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
You like the "feel" of the Tikka synthetic stock? Might be the first time I've heard that to be honest. The T3 stock was abysmal. The T3x is only marginally better but at least it doesnt sound like a paddle hitting the side of an aluminum boat when you walk in the bush anymore. Do you like the plastic mags, trigger guards, and bolt shrouds too?

At $1700.00 I'm sure the veil shoots great likes most Tikkas, but most $1700.00 rifles do.
I never said I like the Tikka stock, but I do like it better than my Mesa.

As far as as the plastic on the Tikkas I just changed mine all over to Mountain Tactcal bottom metal, mags and bolt shrouds.

I had no issues with the plastic mags and actually prefer them over the mountain tactcal metal mags. At least they don’t scratch the hell out of your brass
Old 01-28-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:

So your saying you don’t like Tikkas?

No matter which rifle you buy there is always a nicer one for just a little more $. That’s why the industry exists.

I like mine and it shoots. There is a list of guns a mile long I would also like
Old 01-28-2022, 08:09 PM

I hunted with one this fall in 300wm, it shot great but honestly if you want a tikka I’d just buy a synthetic stainless and take the extra cash and put towards optics or ammo
Old 01-28-2022, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
So your saying you don’t like Tikkas?

No matter which rifle you buy there is always a nicer one for just a little more $. That’s why the industry exists.

I like mine and it shoots. There is a list of guns a mile long I would also like

I like them just fine. They shoot. BUT. Above the T3x they're just way too expensive for what you get. $1700+ for a T3x with fluting, paint, a brake? No stock change. No action changes. Nope. Thats $500 more than a T3x stainless and only $100 less than a CA Mesa which offers a lot more.

Veil makes the recently disco'd Roughtech Pro look like the deal of the century. In 2 years the same Tikka will run with a Sako 85 in $$.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's way overpriced for a Tikka, For the extra money,you get fluting, that removes very little weight, different colors, and a brake that requires you to wear hearing protection while hunting. I like Tikka, but not in 300win mag, and not at that price.
^^^ THIS

For that price tag, buy a used Tikka and get a custom barrel put on it instead.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:54 PM

[QUOTE=dave99;4477754]Like any Tikka, I think you can’t go wrong although I have no experience with the Veil Wideland.

“If you want something that is a cut above, I would recommend a Sako 85 rather than a dressed up T3X like the Veil. “

Hmm how is a Sako 85 any Better rifle than a T3X ?
RJ
Old 01-27-2023, 09:39 PM

A 7lb. rifle in 300 WM? Might suit some but think how hard it might be to sell once you find out how it kicks the crap out of you. Nice little rifle but, just sayin', shoot one first.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:51 PM

JMO but I think it's light for a Magnum. In saying that it's a Tikka so it'll probably shoot well, and I think it'd be nice to carry in the field.

I think he should go into the gun store and see what fits him the best. I would compare the Tikka against the Browning X-Bolt Speed and Hells Canyon Max LR.

The Winchester Mod 70 Ext Weather is also worth looking at in that price range.

For what it's worth my Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Max LR is .5 MOA with Federal Terminal Ascent 200gr factory ammo at 200M.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-27-2023, 10:00 PM
Banned

sure glad i bought my t3 ss many years ago. guess i couldn't afford a new one, and i love mine. it's in .270
Old 01-27-2023, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I like them just fine. They shoot. BUT. Above the T3x they're just way too expensive for what you get. $1700+ for a T3x with fluting, paint, a brake? No stock change. No action changes. Nope. Thats $500 more than a T3x stainless and only $100 less than a CA Mesa which offers a lot more.

Veil makes the recently disco'd Roughtech Pro look like the deal of the century. In 2 years the same Tikka will run with a Sako 85 in $$.
I would buy a used Sako A7 before I would pay that kind of money for a Tikka.
Fortunately, I don't have to. I have a nice .270 Roughtech Pro right in my gunsafe.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:42 PM

What’s different about a T3X Lite Veil Wideland Vs my T3X Lite Rough Tech other than the Veil COST. More ? And the stock colour finish ? RJ
Old 01-28-2023, 10:12 AM

If your buying and your son is the recipient, cost doesn't factor into his decision and maybe you like the rifle too.

Personally, I like Tikka and Sako factory rifles over pretty much every other manufacturer. The cartridge choice I don't like so much. They makes this rifle in many calibers and yes they are light and will produce significant recoil in 300 Win Mag. I'd go .308 Win or 30.06 Spfg or .270 Win if he doesn't reload. Less recoil, more affordable and more readily available ammunition. These cartridges are more than capable for deer/elk/moose.
Old 01-28-2023, 03:25 PM

I like my T3X Superlite. It shoots 1/2 MOA. Can't argue with those results.