Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-10-2022, 05:27 PM

Default What New Ice Fishing Gear Has You Excited for This Season? (2022 Edition)

It's that time of year again. I posted a similar thread last season that seemed to be well received.

Last year I said I had pretty much everything I wanted in October and then proceeded to drop a few grand through the season anyways. This season I'm already overcommitted to new stuff I'll post up here as I break it out. I'll start out with the new ice camping hub shelter I picked up last week. Again, I posted quite a thorough review here of why I went with the new Otter Pro Vortex Monster Lodge over the Eskimo Outbreak 850XD or the Eskimo 9416i I already had. Once we have a good 7-8" of ice I'll break it out for its maiden voyage. The 9416i already sold on the AO Buy & Sell Forum.

Old 10-10-2022, 06:57 PM

One of the things I'm most excited about is upgrading my LiveScope system, since it's like the hub of everything I do on the ice. I'm selling my original LiveScope Ice Fishing Bundle and upgrading to a "custom" LiveScope Plus setup. Garmin actually makes two LVS34 transducers. I'm waiting for the LVS34-IF to come into stock. The -IF stands for ice fishing, and it comes with a more flexible cold-weather cable. You can't order a LiveScope Plus System with the -IF transducer though, so I'll have to order the GLS-10 black box separately. I'm going to stick with Garmin's shuttle and bag system since it works well and holds the chartplotter at a good angle for the fishing I do. But I am going to run ArcLab's Pro Series pole and ice bundle instead of Garmin's bulky pole system. ArcLab's isn't much more compact, but it will make it easier to use the unit on a boat when I get around to it.

Live imaging is where it's at folks. It's so effective and entertaining on the ice.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:22 PM

AlbertanGP, can I come fishing with you? Please.
Old 10-10-2022, 08:39 PM

Absolutely. Where are we going?
Old 10-10-2022, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Absolutely. Where are we going?
Let's start out at Wab. Lol.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2022, 07:51 AM

My new Lowrance Explorer Active Target Ice Kit arrived in the mail last week, I'm pretty excited to get out on the ice with it this winter.

Very impressed with it. It's like the world's finest ice fishing milk crate lol.

The backpack carrying case has a removeable plastic frame, a lot like a milk crate, that everything attaches to - sonar unit, battery, and Active Target box. It keeps everything solidly mounted and protected, and it's still quite light. Great idea.

The transducer pole is aluminum, with lots of length, so no issues when the ice gets crazy thick. The handle could maybe be a bit longer, but it folds down really small for transport which is nice.

The new Explorer ice fishing stuff is available "a la carte" with everything separate if you already have a sonar unit or Active Target system and just want the pack or the pole, or in complete bundles.

I bought the full Elite FS9 bundle, it comes with the FS9, Active Target transducer, Active Target black box, custom wiring harness that powers the black box on and off automatically with the sonar power, ethernet cable, ice transducer pole, a Dakota Lithium 24Ah battery with 2 USB charging ports built in, and the backpack bag with frame to keep it all in. The only thing missing is a 2D sonar transducer, which would be handy for just checking depths when hole hopping and as another "eye" on the water below. I've got one that I can throw in, but that was a bit of a miss by Lowrance IMHO, that should be included when you buy the full meal deal kit.

I haven't had a chance to try it, but I *think* you might be able to squeeze a 12" HDS unit into the bag. That would be pretty sweet...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (38.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (47.0 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (42.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (124.8 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (63.8 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (118.1 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (147.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (100.6 KB, 78 views)
Old 10-11-2022, 08:12 AM

I've been looking for Lowrance SKU: 000-15954-001, which is just the bag (and I presume plastic frame) and the pole. I'm not so sure I want it now though if it has backpack straps on it. The transducer pole looks really good like the one with the Summit Shuttle...no janky plastic like Garmin.

Don't even bother with a 12" HDS. That's what I ran last year in the Summit Shuttle with an Amped Outdoors 48Ah battery, and it was soooo heavy. In fact, it started tearing the straps off the bag. I bought a 9" Live at TFH's big sale in August to downsize my Active Target setup, as I found I was taking the LiveScope out more and more as the season wore on. Maybe I'll just get the smaller Summit bag and be done with it. You may have saved me some money...the Lowrance stuff is crazy expensive.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 10-25-2022 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:46 AM

I have a Pelican 60" sled that I bought at the end of last season. I'm looking forward to the walks onto the lake being easier since now my wife can pull the small 48" sled with a few items and our daughter in it, and I can pull the 60" with the bigger stuff.

Honestly, more than gear I'm just looking forward to taking my daughter out. She'll be around 8 months old when the ice season really kicks off. I figure that's old enough.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:21 PM

I got a Mega Live and an ArcLabs pole and boat mount in Spring and just got the ice tripod for it as well. Looking forward to using it out on the ice this winter for lakers.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 10-12-2022, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
My new Lowrance Explorer Active Target Ice Kit arrived in the mail last week, I'm pretty excited to get out on the ice with it this winter.

Very impressed with it. It's like the world's finest ice fishing milk crate lol.

The backpack carrying case has a removeable plastic frame, a lot like a milk crate, that everything attaches to - sonar unit, battery, and Active Target box. It keeps everything solidly mounted and protected, and it's still quite light. Great idea.

The transducer pole is aluminum, with lots of length, so no issues when the ice gets crazy thick. The handle could maybe be a bit longer, but it folds down really small for transport which is nice.

The new Explorer ice fishing stuff is available "a la carte" with everything separate if you already have a sonar unit or Active Target system and just want the pack or the pole, or in complete bundles.

I bought the full Elite FS9 bundle, it comes with the FS9, Active Target transducer, Active Target black box, custom wiring harness that powers the black box on and off automatically with the sonar power, ethernet cable, ice transducer pole, a Dakota Lithium 24Ah battery with 2 USB charging ports built in, and the backpack bag with frame to keep it all in. The only thing missing is a 2D sonar transducer, which would be handy for just checking depths when hole hopping and as another "eye" on the water below. I've got one that I can throw in, but that was a bit of a miss by Lowrance IMHO, that should be included when you buy the full meal deal kit.

I haven't had a chance to try it, but I *think* you might be able to squeeze a 12" HDS unit into the bag. That would be pretty sweet...
Walleyedude,

Where did you purchase the Explorer gear? I have been looking for the bag only (SKU 000-15953-001) with no success.

Appreciate the info and insight you provided on the new Explorer Series.
Old 10-13-2022, 06:39 AM
Banned

That new Helix 9 MSI looks pretty nice. With a 4k price tag, seems high for an Ice fishing gadget tho
Old 10-13-2022, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXL View Post
Walleyedude,

Where did you purchase the Explorer gear? I have been looking for the bag only (SKU 000-15953-001) with no success.

Appreciate the info and insight you provided on the new Explorer Series.
In time, The Fishin Hole and Bass Pro should both have the full Explorer range, but it's pretty early days.

I'll do some digging and try to get you some options.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
That new Helix 9 MSI looks pretty nice. With a 4k price tag, seems high for an Ice fishing gadget tho

Are you talking the ice bundle with Mega Live? A Helix 9 MSI G4N is $2199, not $4k.

I use a Helix 8 MSI G4N CHO with my Mega 360 and Mega Live. The CHO is control head only, so no transducer which saves a bit of money if you only plan to use it with a M360 or ML, or if you already have a compatible transducer.

SS

Old 10-13-2022, 02:43 PM

That would be an ice bundle for $4k. All the brands are about the same. The price is a little less painful once you use it the first time though.
Old 10-13-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
That would be an ice bundle for $4k. All the brands are about the same. The price is a little less painful once you use it the first time though.

That’s what I figured as well, just wanted to be clear. The bundles are a good idea if you are considering getting a setup as they include the shuttle, battery, and pole, for less than just the head unit and M360 or Mega Live transducer.

SS

Old 10-13-2022, 06:50 PM

Humminbird’s bundles come with a nice Norsk battery as well, which is a plus.
Old 10-14-2022, 06:19 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Humminbird’s bundles come with a nice Norsk battery as well, which is a plus.
Can hardly wait to see you out on cold lake all hunkered down in your ice/fish command centre hub....won’t be hard to find ya with all the electronics glowing, beeping, and you sitting surrounded like a kid in an arcade

Might have to bring a roll of quarters and stop by for a game or two

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-14-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Can hardly wait to see you out on cold lake all hunkered down in your ice/fish command centre hub....won’t be hard to find ya with all the electronics glowing, beeping, and you sitting surrounded like a kid in an arcade

Might have to bring a roll of quarters and stop by for a game or two
Yes I'm coming back to Cold Lake this season. Yes I'm bringing my toys with me...maybe even the Ranger if the sleds don't arrive in time. And yes you 1000% need to stop by.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Yes I'm coming back to Cold Lake this season. Yes I'm bringing my toys with me...maybe even the Ranger if the sleds don't arrive in time. And yes you 1000% need to stop by.

What great set up
Old 10-14-2022, 04:00 PM

That as I mentioned before is just a freakin fish slaying rig!!!

Had one similar last year and many thanks if your reading this drag my F150 out of a snow drift effortlessly.

Can hardly wait until the Skandic SWT shows up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-18-2022, 05:56 AM

Thumbs up

Got the call yesterday the skidoo has arrived, dealer will let me know when I can pick it up after the techs go over it etc

Will post a few pics of the beast.

Old 10-18-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Got the call yesterday the skidoo has arrived, dealer will let me know when I can pick it up after the techs go over it etc

Good for you. What a gorgeous sled!
Old 10-18-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Funny, I got the same text yesterday.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:

i ordered a skidoo expidtion sport . hope it shows up this year.
Old 10-18-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
i ordered a skidoo expidtion sport . hope it shows up this year.
Mine are Expedition SEs I snow checked in March. So hopefully your Expedition also arrives soon.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:30 AM

In case anyone is wondering, the new IF-specific LiveScope transducer with it's silicone cable is worth the price of admission alone. The benefits of upgrading from the LVS32 to the LVS34 are just icing on the cake.

I'll see if I can get a side-by-side before I deliver my old LiveScope setup tomorrow.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:52 PM

Quote:

In case anyone is wondering, the new IF-specific LiveScope transducer with it's silicone cable is worth the price of admission alone. The benefits of upgrading from the LVS32 to the LVS34 are just icing on the cake.

I'll see if I can get a side-by-side before I deliver my old LiveScope setup tomorrow.
man you have all the gear.im just happy if my old stuff makes it thru another year.
Old 10-20-2022, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
man you have all the gear.im just happy if my old stuff makes it thru another year.
I'm very fortunate to be able to try all the new technology without relying on sponsorship. I should probably make YouTube videos and get a sponsor...people seem to eat that winter camping/bushcraft stuff up. But then I'd have to relearn video editing from my kids' hockey days, and that would cut into my fishing time.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:41 PM

An actual ice rod locker that keeps trays as well, the Plano Ice Hunter Deep Ice Combo Case:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/plan...ice-combo-case
Old 10-22-2022, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
An actual ice rod locker that keeps trays as well, the Plano Ice Hunter Deep Ice Combo Case:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/plan...ice-combo-case
I came across that in the In-Fisherman 2023 Ice Fishing Guide as well. It looks ok, but I still prefer the Otter Pro Tech 48 Deep rod case from what I can see. Plano says the Ice Hunter holds 14 rods. But there are only seven slots, so I assume they are doubling rods which I certainly do with the 8 slots in my Otter case. The Otter will also hold tackle boxes, but I never put any in mine. At best you'll have to take your rods out to get at them. At worst everything will get tangled and/or rods or reels will start breaking. Finally the Otter is 3" longer and deeper as well, which is important especially with inline reels. Did I mention the Otter holds more rods too? It is $20 USD more though. But at that price get the one you like better.