Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-24-2022, 09:15 PM

I'm weak. I told myself I wasn't going to upgrade my G2s as they have been flawless. Then I got in TFH and convinced myself a new Ion Alpha Plus with 8" & 10" flites and a Milwaukee drill/Pistol Bit was the way to go. I still think one 6Ah battery is better than two 4Ah batteries. But it doesn't look like Ion is going back. The new Gen 3 Alphas are compatible with Gen 1 batteries but not the Gen 2 batteries from the G2.

Then again, I always said weight is more important to me than price. And the Alpha is now 5lbs lighter than the StrikeMaster Pro Lithium 40v Lite...25% lighter. And likely now more than just marginally faster.

I'm not sure if I'm going to sell one or both G2s. Whatever I decide will be in the Buy & Sell forum shortly.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Picked up our sled yesterday afternoon,we went over it front to back with the salesman, our first sled so yup lots of questions followed by great assistance, picked up two new helmets, pictures to follow.....come on snow/Ice

Over next few days will be trial and error with mods to trick it out to our liking for hunting, fishing, grooming cross country trails and just having FUN.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-27-2022, 07:58 AM

Be sure to post how you rig yours. I'm still trying to figure that out myself.
Old 10-27-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXL View Post
Walleyedude,

Where did you purchase the Explorer gear? I have been looking for the bag only (SKU 000-15953-001) with no success.

Appreciate the info and insight you provided on the new Explorer Series.
I asked around, no one has just the bag in stock right now.

Your best bet is The Fishin' Hole. They have the ability to special order pretty much anything Lowrance. I'd stop in and see what they can do for you.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I asked around, no one has just the bag in stock right now.

Your best bet is The Fishin' Hole. They have the ability to special order pretty much anything Lowrance. I'd stop in and see what they can do for you.
I just found out that The Fishin' Hole will be stocking them, and so will Holiday RV in Winnipeg, as well as potentially CMX Outdoors in Swift Current.
Old 10-27-2022, 02:05 PM

Default What New Ice Fishing Gear Has You Excited for This Season? (2022 Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Be sure to post how you rig yours. I'm still trying to figure that out myself.

So far got the hitch on it, belly pan skid plate and the travel cover.
Going to more than likely go with a Rubbermaid tote in the back and two sets of kolpin clamps to hold ice auger etc.

Also would like to thank 54 North Powersports out of Bonnyville as we are totally clueless to snowmobiles being this our first.
The staff answered all our questions and phone calls too. I know there will be more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 58thecat; 10-27-2022 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-27-2022, 02:54 PM

that is a sexy sexy sled....ready for some adventures!

We're going in to pick up a Vortex Monster Lodge this weekend and just decided we're finally going to upgrade from the Jiffy propane to a Strikemaster 40v Lite while we're at it. Man I'm excited. If I had the scratch for a Mega Live unit, I'd be fully ready for ice season. As it is, I'm pretty GD excited right now...ha ha. Bring on first ice in the southern walleye reservoirs!
Old 10-27-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Going to more than likely go with a Rubbermaid tote in the back and two sets of kolpin clamps to hold ice auger etc.

I would go with the Rubbermaid Action Packers as the lid locks down and you can actually attach things like rod holders to them. Regular tote lids can fly off pretty easy.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 10-27-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I would go with the Rubbermaid Action Packers as the lid locks down and you can actually attach things like rod holders to them. Regular tote lids can fly off pretty easy.

SS

Thx
That helps lots as we gotta dummy things down as to not have too many mishaps,
Baby steps and lessens learnt better take advice from those who have been there done that.
Thx again.

Old 10-27-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I just found out that The Fishin' Hole will be stocking them, and so will Holiday RV in Winnipeg, as well as potentially CMX Outdoors in Swift Current.
gpscentral.ca & gpscity.ca will likely both carry them as well...I think they actually have an In Stock date on their web sites.
Old 10-27-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

So far got the hitch on it, belly pan skid plate and the travel cover.

Also would like to thank 54 North Powersports out of Bonnyville as we are totally clueless to snowmobiles being this our first.
The staff answered all our questions and phone calls too. I know there will be more!

24" track...niiice.

You'll like the Rubbermaid container a lot more when you start looking at the prices of LinQ accessories.
Old 10-27-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks for following up WD! Appreciate the info!
Old 10-27-2022, 08:56 PM

Quote:
gpscentral.ca & gpscity.ca will likely both carry them as well...I think they actually have an In Stock date on their web sites.
Thanks for the info AB'n GP! I am familiar with those GPS vendors, as I've gotten stuff from them in the past.
Old 10-28-2022, 06:03 AM

Quote:
24" track...niiice.

You'll like the Rubbermaid container a lot more when you start looking at the prices of LinQ accessories.
Yup, linQ was an eye opener, another fella bought the exact sled I did 19K and then outfitted for ice fishing etc, total bill 24K.....I can do a lot to this machine for an additional 5K.
LinQ is a great idea just get the price down to somewhere much more acceptable.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
that is a sexy sexy sled....ready for some adventures!

We're going in to pick up a Vortex Monster Lodge this weekend and just decided we're finally going to upgrade from the Jiffy propane to a Strikemaster 40v Lite while we're at it. Man I'm excited. If I had the scratch for a Mega Live unit, I'd be fully ready for ice season. As it is, I'm pretty GD excited right now...ha ha. Bring on first ice in the southern walleye reservoirs!
I was so impressed with my Jiffy propane, so much easier to start than the gas model. I got a ton of use out of it, then I got a 10 inch Strikemaster and the difference, especially weightwise is amazing. you will do a
I will let you know when the ice is ready, hopefully wont be more than 4 or 5 weeks away now!
I checked Jackfish yesterday, its higher than last season but who knows where it will end they were raising the neighbor and I doubt the canal into Newell is still going now but I can hope.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-28-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
24" track...niiice.

Well got the sled to an acceptable starting point as I know there will be more mods but good enough for now.
The tote was drilled and bolted to the LinQ flat base, had to disconnect it to ensure when I drilled etc I was missing the rear lights wires etc,
Took off front and back seat then the storage box under the back seat to be able to move the LinQ base to have easier access to install the hardware, could have used a third hand a few times but managed to bolt it down securely and reinstall the base, storage box,front seat and back seat.
Then installed the kolpin grips which are a great product, can swivel to accommodate various configurations and be removed when not in use.
I got a tote that still allowed a small area of open space to for gas, chainsaw etc.
Three hour project but we’ll worth it.

Nut,lock washer and washer underneath.

Inside of tote

Installing LinQ base back on

Seats etc all installed

Finished product!

Old 10-28-2022, 08:40 PM

To be honest, the new gear that has me excited is the Garmin PS22 I got and used last year. Still new in my books and a hell of a tool that I haven’t maxed out the potential of yet! I like the less detailed blobs vs the new livescope, plus the price point…
Old 10-28-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Did I mention the Otter holds more rods too? It is $20 USD more though. But at that price get the one you like better.
The Plano Ice Hunter Deep Ice Combo holds 14 rods with reels, and includes 6 Plano 3600 trays. $279.99 MSRP USD

The Otter Pro Tech 48 Deep holds 8 rods, doesn’t include the trays, and is heavier. $299.99 MSRP USD

Both are made in the USA, and both look good; I’ll take the lighter, better priced option, with more accessories - every time. Mind you, I don’t fish a rod over 40”.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:58 AM

Wife is eyeballing a aquaview now.....wants to watch the action.
Watched CSO pick off perch which got her onto this, taking his lure away from the small ones and catching the larger ones.

Old 10-29-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
The Plano Ice Hunter Deep Ice Combo holds 14 rods with reels, and includes 6 Plano 3600 trays. $279.99 MSRP USD

The Otter Pro Tech 48 Deep holds 8 rods, doesn’t include the trays, and is heavier. $299.99 MSRP USD

Both are made in the USA, and both look good; I’ll take the lighter, better priced option, with more accessories - every time. Mind you, I don’t fish a rod over 40”.
The Plano only holds 14 rods if you put two in each of the seven slots it has. If you want to put two rods in the each slot in the Otter it will hold 16. Let us know how your rods hold up with all those 3600s clanking around in there.

Signed: The guy carrying his $600 TUCR/Stradic Ci4+ combos in an Otter after learning the hard way with other cases.
Old 10-29-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Watched CSO pick off perch which got her onto this, taking his lure away from the small ones and catching the larger ones.
I'll bring a couple out for you to try when I come over if you don't have one already.
Old 10-29-2022, 09:46 AM

Whelp no pictures of the sleds yet. I picked them up yesterday and took them to the weigh scale on the way home. After 30 years of trailering, I somehow failed to reconnect the trailer after dropping it on the scale to check tongue weight. Gunned it when I pulled back on the highway to merge with traffic and promptly had the trailer come off the ball (must have been just sitting on top). I'm very fortunate that the only thing I damaged was the $50 manual jack on the trailer....very fortunate. Good thing I had the SuperClamps done up. So I put the sleds in the shop at home and decided to bring the Ranger out to the lake instead.

I upgraded my entire setup for ice fishing this season. Those I met up with or who saw my pictures last year know I was running a silver 6spd Tacoma. I liked the vehicle, but it was hard on fuel and kept my Ranger landlocked at my home lake as I couldn't tow it with the Taco.

So I sold the Taco (gave a good deal to some young kid whose family has had 9 Tacos and really appreciated the condition), and upgraded to a facelifted baby Duramax Silverado. I also bought an enclosed trailer that I'm already concerned to drive in the winter in crosswinds since it's so tall to fit the Ranger. Really nice setup so far. I'm excited for its first "work" trip to northern Saskatchewan in a few weeks. Come on ice!

Old 10-29-2022, 12:23 PM

Just make sure you have the weight of your ranger in your trailer closest to the hitch of your truck so the truck it’s self is taking the weight. So have all your weight passed the front trailer axle. If not you will have problems. I’m sure your aware of that but just saying. Tight lines.
Old 10-29-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Whelp no pictures of the sleds yet. I picked them up yesterday and took them to the weigh scale on the way home. After 30 years of trailering, I somehow failed to reconnect the trailer after dropping it on the scale to check tongue weight. Gunned it when I pulled back on the highway to merge with traffic and promptly had the trailer come off the ball (must have been just sitting on top). I'm very fortunate that the only thing I damaged was the $50 manual jack on the trailer....very fortunate. Good thing I had the SuperClamps done up. So I put the sleds in the shop at home and decided to bring the Ranger out to the lake instead.

I upgraded my entire setup for ice fishing this season. Those I met up with or who saw my pictures last year know I was running a silver 6spd Tacoma. I liked the vehicle, but it was hard on fuel and kept my Ranger landlocked at my home lake as I couldn't tow it with the Taco.

So I sold the Taco (gave a good deal to some young kid whose family has had 9 Tacos and really appreciated the condition), and upgraded to a facelifted baby Duramax Silverado. I also bought an enclosed trailer that I'm already concerned to drive in the winter in crosswinds since it's so tall to fit the Ranger. Really nice setup so far. I'm excited for its first "work" trip to northern Saskatchewan in a few weeks. Come on ice!

Dam, I am having visions of this near disaster not ending well.
Buy a lottery ticket!

Old 10-29-2022, 12:49 PM

I picked these up at the end of last year, they are commonly known as "Cuban Yoyo's". With a little practice you can fight fish off the spool rather than getting loose line all over the ice. They cant be pulled down an 8" hole and they feed line pretty smooth when a fish takes, so leave em' on the ice as a set line, or jig with them, or hook them up to my DIY jigging tip-ups. Nothing fancy, but they make it easy to cover lots of water, toss a couple in a pail with some bait and you're set.

https://www.amazon.ca/Challenge-5015...12849678&psc=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETsIn9mYYVQ

Last edited by Bushleague; 10-29-2022 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-29-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I was so impressed with my Jiffy propane, so much easier to start than the gas model. I got a ton of use out of it, then I got a 10 inch Strikemaster and the difference, especially weightwise is amazing. you will do a
I will let you know when the ice is ready, hopefully wont be more than 4 or 5 weeks away now!
I checked Jackfish yesterday, its higher than last season but who knows where it will end they were raising the neighbor and I doubt the canal into Newell is still going now but I can hope.
Appreciate you so much, my dude can't wait to get down there!!
Old 10-29-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Get it. I'll never fish without one again. We also have a Helix 7, but personally I prefer my AV715c, especially in the gin clear lakes we fish. I could sit and watch underwater fish footage all day...
Old 10-29-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
Just make sure you have the weight of your ranger in your trailer closest to the hitch of your truck so the truck it’s self is taking the weight. So have all your weight passed the front trailer axle. If not you will have problems. I’m sure your aware of that but just saying. Tight lines.
Yup, that's why it was backed in. I put a trailer in the rhubarb at 110kph years ago because I had too much weight on the beavertail. I had read the new Silverado/Sierra trucks like to sag a lot when towing, and can vouch for it. So my Silverado has a fancy air bag system to carry the weight. It's not like the dually where you just drop pretty much whatever on the back and forget about it.

And after my episode yesterday, I'm all for a friendly reminder on towing safety. lol.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:07 PM

I'm slowly getting my new one man flip assembled and all the accessories installed. It's been two solid days of poking around in the shop working on it. That's what happens when you give a dentist a grinder, a jigsaw, and a table saw to get a job done. Measure five times and cut once....hopefully.

In the meantime I have the ol' Clam to take out at first ice if need be. My shop looks like the back of TFH though. I need to finish some stuff up tomorrow so I can put the Ranger back in for the week.

I'll do a full write-up on the new sled once (if?) it's finished.
Old 11-06-2022, 11:59 AM

Some really nice equipment!!!

I finally upgraded to a true ice fishing transducer for my Garmin Striker 4.

I got a custom powerbox made that I mounted my Garmin on. The box also has a UV light compartment which will be really handy.

I picked up an insulated tent late last year so excited to be warm in January! It was overkill in March but could not resist trying it out before the end of last season!

My two youngest boys ( 3 and 4) are ready for the season as well! Both caught their first stocked trout during open water and really want to get on the ice.
I will be the dad pulling kids in a sled with one eye on the tips ups!