Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-06-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I'm slowly getting my new one man flip assembled and all the accessories installed. It's been two solid days of poking around in the shop working on it. That's what happens when you give a dentist a grinder, a jigsaw, and a table saw to get a job done. Measure five times and cut once....hopefully.

In the meantime I have the ol' Clam to take out at first ice if need be. My shop looks like the back of TFH though. I need to finish some stuff up tomorrow so I can put the Ranger back in for the week.

I'll do a full write-up on the new sled once (if?) it's finished.
That is one hell of a man cave
Don't invite me, I might not leave.
Old 11-06-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seli View Post

I picked up an insulated tent late last year so excited to be warm in January! It was overkill in March but could not resist trying it out before the end of last season!
You know, I thought the same but I find my insulated tent nicely keeps the temperature more regulated than a regular tent.
Sounds you have a great season ahead of you!
Old 11-07-2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Let us know how your rods hold up
So far, so good!

Quote:
Signed: The guy carrying his $600 TUCR/Stradic Ci4+ combos in an Otter after learning the hard way with other cases.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I'm very fortunate to be able to try all the new technology without relying on sponsorship. I should probably make YouTube videos and get a sponsor...people seem to eat that winter camping/bushcraft stuff up. But then I'd have to relearn video editing from my kids' hockey days, and that would cut into my fishing time.
I like how you think! I just purchased 3 go pro 11s a video box to record the underwater camera. A bluetti Ac 200 max with Solar panel and expanded battery. To keep all the batteries charged. The livescope and aqua view 360 camera eat a lot of power on top of all the recording stuff. No sponsorship here either have to keep reaching into my pockets lol. I think I’m addicted to buying new stuff. My channel is going to be called the outdoors albertan on YouTube. So excited for this season.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I was so impressed with my Jiffy propane, so much easier to start than the gas model. I got a ton of use out of it, then I got a 10 inch Strikemaster and the difference, especially weightwise is amazing. you will do a
I will let you know when the ice is ready, hopefully wont be more than 4 or 5 weeks away now!
I checked Jackfish yesterday, its higher than last season but who knows where it will end they were raising the neighbor and I doubt the canal into Newell is still going now but I can hope.
I bought the ion G2 and had battery issues so while that was getting fixed I bought a jiffy propane for a reliable back up. And when the ion batteries were available I bought 3 more so I never ever run low on power again. Jiffy propane are heavy but reliable 100%
Old 11-20-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgias daddy View Post
I bought the ion G2 and had battery issues so while that was getting fixed I bought a jiffy propane for a reliable back up. And when the ion batteries were available I bought 3 more so I never ever run low on power again. Jiffy propane are heavy but reliable 100%
absolutely. Im really not happy with the strikemaster blades, I will be using the jiffy propane again when the ice is drivable, at least you can sharpen the blades easily on the spot if you hit some sand . damn winds!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-20-2022, 08:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Aqua-Vu Av715C with 75' Cable and Mo-Pod 3 Bundle

We got this for $399.00
At cabelas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-20-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgias daddy View Post
When I talked to a CSR at Ardisam about a month ago, she basically came out and told me they discontinued the Gen 2 batteries because they had so many issues with them. That's why the Gen 3 batteries on the Alphas are backwards compatible with the Gen 1 system but not the Gen 2 I guess. I found this odd, because I have never had a lick of trouble with either of my G2's or their batteries.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Aqua-Vu Av715C with 75' Cable and Mo-Pod 3 Bundle

We got this for $399.00
At cabelas.
Hard to beat that deal.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:17 PM

Last Spring, I bought Striker's top floatation suit, the Apex Jacket and Bib. It was regularly $1,260 at TFH, but was on sale for $756. My old predator suit is still holding up fine, but I wanted a spare suit for another son that doesn't come out as often. I've only had the chance to use it down to around -20*C so far, but it's a nice suit. I definitely like it better than the Predator (I do miss the microfiber towels on the bibs though...none of Strikers suits have them any more). But I don't think the Apex suit is worth almost double the price of the Predator. The Predator is a very nice suit I was comfortable in down to -50*C last Christmas.

Old 11-20-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
absolutely. Im really not happy with the strikemaster blades, I will be using the jiffy propane again when the ice is drivable, at least you can sharpen the blades easily on the spot if you hit some sand . damn winds!
Do mind me asking why you chose the Strikemaster over the Jiffy Rogue?
Old 11-21-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Last Spring, I bought Striker's top floatation suit, the Apex Jacket and Bib. It was regularly $1,260 at TFH, but was on sale for $756. My old predator suit is still holding up fine, but I wanted a spare suit for another son that doesn't come out as often. I've only had the chance to use it down to around -20*C so far, but it's a nice suit. I definitely like it better than the Predator (I do miss the microfiber towels on the bibs though...none of Strikers suits have them any more). But I don't think the Apex suit is worth almost double the price of the Predator. The Predator is a very nice suit I was comfortable in down to -50*C last Christmas.

I need a floatation jacket at some point. I have the Striker Ice bibs and they're among the best money I've ever spent in fishing. Probably come spring time, at the end of this ice season, I'll try and catch a end of season sale and get either a Striker, Eskimo or FXR jacket to complete my gear.
Old 11-21-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
It's that time of year again. I posted a similar thread last season that seemed to be well received.

Last year I said I had pretty much everything I wanted in October and then proceeded to drop a few grand through the season anyways. This season I'm already overcommitted to new stuff I'll post up here as I break it out. I'll start out with the new ice camping hub shelter I picked up last week. Again, I posted quite a thorough review here of why I went with the new Otter Pro Vortex Monster Lodge over the Eskimo Outbreak 850XD or the Eskimo 9416i I already had. Once we have a good 7-8" of ice I'll break it out for its maiden voyage. The 9416i already sold on the AO Buy & Sell Forum.

You need a very strong auger to drill holes there.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-21-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
I need a floatation jacket at some point. I have the Striker Ice bibs and they're among the best money I've ever spent in fishing. Probably come spring time, at the end of this ice season, I'll try and catch a end of season sale and get either a Striker, Eskimo or FXR jacket to complete my gear.
Cabela's has some good prices on flotation gear in their Black Friday Sale you may want to check out.
Old 11-21-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Lol. That's what all lakes felt like after I got back from Diefenbaker last year. That trip was hard on the blades.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:28 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Homeless shelters

Dibs on the middle one.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-25-2022, 02:21 PM

Default What New Ice Fishing Gear Has You Excited for This Season? (2022 Edition)

Ordered up a new Otter Rod Case during the Black Friday sale at CMX Powersports on Wednesday. As usual, first class service and pricing. Received this morning.

Got the 48 inch” model. Very robust construction, probably throw it out of the back of the truck at 60 mph and not hurt it. Pricey but worth it. Broke 3 rods in my old case which gets pricey quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by JohninAB; 11-25-2022 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2022, 02:32 PM

JawJackers came on sale for $50 at Cabela's for black friday. I ordered two of them so I'm looking forward to trying them out this year.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:47 PM

New for me a 6 sided insulated clam hut, trying to put a stove hole in it, soon, could always use my big buddy heater

my eskimo double 4 man hut is for sale, not insulated , but comes with screw in anchors 6
Old 11-25-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Ordered up a new Otter Rod Case during the Black Friday sale at CMX Powersports on Wednesday. As usual, first class service and pricing. Received this morning.

Got the 48 inch” model. Very robust construction, probably throw it out of the back of the truck at 60 mph and not hurt it. Pricey but worth it. Broke 3 rods in my old case which gets pricey quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2022, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
JawJackers came on sale for $50 at Cabela's for black friday. I ordered two of them so I'm looking forward to trying them out this year.
Even at $50 they're ridiculously expensive for what they are...and yet so worth it.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Even at $50 they're ridiculously expensive for what they are...and yet so worth it.
I think they should be about $30 but everything thing these days is ridiculously expensive. Glad to hear they're worth it though.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I think they should be about $30 but everything thing these days is ridiculously expensive. Glad to hear they're worth it though.
there are some excellent home made versions around. I think I may have to build another this winter for walter just for fun. myself, I received my new Marcum camera Friday so Im excited to get back on the ice and try it out. Hopefully the water is starting to clear in the bays now

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-26-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
there are some excellent home made versions around. I think I may have to build another this winter for walter just for fun. myself, I received my new Marcum camera Friday so Im excited to get back on the ice and try it out. Hopefully the water is starting to clear in the bays now
I made some automatic hook setters out of lumber and door stoppers back in the '80s. They wouldn't have worked too well for large predators, but I sure caught a lot of trout on them.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I'm glad I bought all mine when they were under $35 and the jigging bases were $99.
Old 11-27-2022, 12:25 PM

I found my new vehicle to get to the hotspots quicker! just need to find a flame proof sled mount https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDRJItKqClk

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-30-2022, 09:21 AM

Ordered one of these today. Cabelas dropped the price on them $150 for Cyber Monday sale.

https://marcumtech.com/product/lx-9l/
Old 11-30-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Get the jigging base. Its a better fisherman than I am...
Old 12-01-2022, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Get the jigging base. Its a better fisherman than I am...
I have the jigging bases for all 4 of mine and looking at my journals deadsticking outfishes the jigging bases about 10 strikes to 1 when fishing stocked trout.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
I have the jigging bases for all 4 of mine and looking at my journals deadsticking outfishes the jigging bases about 10 strikes to 1 when fishing stocked trout.
+1

I rarely use the jigging bases for trout.