Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-05-2022, 07:45 PM

Default Something wicked in the works

I have been working a hybrid lure for this coming open water season. I have been working with a custom mold maker in the US to design a injection mold for the soft plastic section of this lure

Here is a sneak peek into what I am up to. This is half of a 2 piece injection mold for the tail section of the lure. Now I just need too design the hard body section to match up to it

It’s not what you would call light tackle lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2022, 08:10 PM

Making your own Otus?
Old 12-05-2022, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Making your own Otus?
Nope the peto is a good lure the otus is poorly weighted limiting its use for a curly style tail. I will be going for a level slow fall rather than a nose dive that causes hooks to fowl. The tail design should provide a lot of action with minimal effort

I have two different body designs in mind but both would achieve slightly different results

The twin tails will be horizontal helping create drag on the fall
Old 12-07-2022, 06:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Flatten the can, put a slight bend in it, good size treble, toss in water behind the yak, adjust bend to get the right action

Next project please

Interesting to see what you come up with.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-07-2022, 08:01 AM

Default hmm

Now you got my last brain cells squirming, watched a few vids last night and now I have the bug to try something new this ice season. Just need to find the right round tooit to get started
I cant wait to see how your new creations come out!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-07-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Nope the peto is a good lure the otus is poorly weighted limiting its use for a curly style tail. I will be going for a level slow fall rather than a nose dive that causes hooks to fowl. The tail design should provide a lot of action with minimal effort

I have two different body designs in mind but both would achieve slightly different results

The twin tails will be horizontal helping create drag on the fall

Glad I’m not the only one that much prefers the Peto to the Otus.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-07-2022, 04:24 PM

At the lodge I was working at it was pretty well known that curly tail baits just do not produce as well as paddle tail style baits, not just isolated to the peto outfishng the otus, it extended to other baits as well.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:50 PM

Default Petro

Will you market this lure by spring?I would like to try it,I guide in a 3 million acre camp in northern ontario.Although teaming with walleye and pike,some days can be tough,just like to try something new.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Glad I’m not the only one that much prefers the Peto to the Otus.

SS
I would say the otus is an afterthought once they developed the peto. It’s really the same body a weighted the same with a different tail. The weighting style is good for a paddle tail burned on a steady retrieve giving a good shimmy but that doesn’t transfer over to how a curly tail style lure especially one that relies on the tail as primary action

I own both and done well with the Peto the otus is a flop. It’s not the tail as I can think of great alternatives with curly tails
Old 12-07-2022, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_transplant View Post
At the lodge I was working at it was pretty well known that curly tail baits just do not produce as well as paddle tail style baits, not just isolated to the peto outfishng the otus, it extended to other baits as well.
They both have their place and I fish both very successfully. I will be working on a paddle tail in the future but I am starting with the curly tail so to it’s versatility for different applications

The paddle tail is much easier to use and definitely out produces on a straight basic retrieve. It is great lure and has its place where it shines. Swimbaits are always in my box but it’s just another tool

With the curly tail it is used in a much larger variety of lures and a larger variety of actions so I would be very curious on what curly tail lures you are comparing to.

What lodge I may need to I may need to go and test your theory this summer

Last edited by Smoky buck; 12-07-2022 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:20 PM

As for time wise I will not be rushing this project and taking my time till it’s just right

I have made many many different productive lures but my OCD is just not satisfied because they have not truly stood out enough to me. I have literally built majority of the different styles of lures available.

Last year I went all out on a dive and rise jerk bait tweaking it till it had everything I could have ever wanted in that style of lure. The results were a success and it got amazing results testing.

I have decided I will no longer let anything leave the design stage till it is just right regardless of time even if it’s catching decent numbers. It has to be completely user friendly and achieve all the different actions I want in the design
Old 12-07-2022, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Now you got my last brain cells squirming, watched a few vids last night and now I have the bug to try something new this ice season. Just need to find the right round tooit to get started
I cant wait to see how your new creations come out!
I have not fished southern Alberta in a long time but miss some of the southern reservoirs and keep threatening to pack up the kayak to head south for a few days.

If I end up in your neck of the woods I will throw you an opportunity to raid something from my personal fishing box
Old 12-08-2022, 06:30 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
They both have their place and I fish both very successfully. I will be working on a paddle tail in the future but I am starting with the curly tail so to it’s versatility for different applications

The paddle tail is much easier to use and definitely out produces on a straight basic retrieve. It is great lure and has its place where it shines. Swimbaits are always in my box but it’s just another tool

With the curly tail it is used in a much larger variety of lures and a larger variety of actions so I would be very curious on what curly tail lures you are comparing to.

What lodge I may need to I may need to go and test your theory this summer

Bakers Narrows Lodge....big gators lurk these waters.

Talk to a few guides there and the stuff they use is right on par with what you make.

Look forward to the updates.

Old 12-08-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I have not fished southern Alberta in a long time but miss some of the southern reservoirs and keep threatening to pack up the kayak to head south for a few days.

If I end up in your neck of the woods I will throw you an opportunity to raid something from my personal fishing box
any time, its always fun to meet forum people, looks like I may be spending a lot of this summer fishing and poking dinos again!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-08-2022, 11:22 AM

There's always a niche for each type of lure I find.

If I'm trolling or casting with some speed - my favorite is a lil' ernie (crankbait no rubber)

but if you have to drop into areas and twitch or work a bait, the right rubber tail on a big body is hard to beat - and I really like the double tail with a big radius like that one you designed there !!!!!! - looks awesome - It would definitely present a unique movement there ..... (many are long singles on bigger bodies).

Keep us updated !!!!
Old 12-08-2022, 11:38 AM

Ok Smoky
I’ll put in an order for 2 now before the wait list gets too long
Colour’s to be determined after you hammer the shape down
Old 12-08-2022, 03:22 PM

Very nice!!

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 12-08-2022, 07:45 PM

To those already interested I can’t rightfully commit to anything until I have actually completed the design. It maybe be a long time before I decide I am happy with it and I much prefer to be at a stage where I am replicating them in a reasonable time frame

I will post un update when the design is all ironed out at that time I will gladly talk about building some for those interested

Things always go smoothly when I can set reasonable deadlines around present day life is a big reason why
Old 12-13-2022, 10:38 AM

I'll be trying my hand at making a mold soon, over the summer I got a resin 3d printer, the high-heat resin should make a decent mold not production quality like a cnc but good enough for personal use and proto-typing.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 12-13-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
I'll be trying my hand at making a mold soon, over the summer I got a resin 3d printer, the high-heat resin should make a decent mold not production quality like a cnc but good enough for personal use and proto-typing.
I would definitely be interested in the results of that project
Old 12-29-2022, 01:38 PM

A little update

It was warm enough in the shop to shoot a soft plastic tail to start the design process. Drew up a rough concept and laminated some wood together for carving. I think a perch(can double as whitefish)style body is fitting for the first prototype. Ignore the tail color I just used some scrap leftover plastic for prototyping

The hard body is 6inches and the tail section hanging is around 10.5inches.

I can’t wait to fish this one

Old 12-30-2022, 06:14 PM

nice. how do you attach the tails to the body?

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-30-2022, 06:30 PM

Quote:
nice. how do you attach the tails to the body?
The hole in the body for indexing the tail will have a pin and corkscrew to hold the tail. May get away with just a corkscrew but will test to see what is needed

Started carving a body and already deviated from original drawing lol

Wife is also bugging for me to make a smaller lighter body version for the tail too
Old 01-01-2023, 02:00 PM

Like I mentioned in my last post the body shape took a detour from the original plan but I think I can get more action out of this one. Roughed out the basic shape today now I just need to cut the fat and make the pieces flow together. I also decided I am going to add a screw in weight system like you will find on some suicks

Old 01-01-2023, 04:46 PM

thats looking good, cant wait to see how it turns out!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-01-2023, 06:20 PM

Quote:
thats looking good, cant wait to see how it turns out!
Thanks

For me the magic is in the action and I am going for more than 2 tails kicking

This project has a lot of design time in it. This is something that has been in my note book for about 2years. The tail mold was an 8 month project to get made alone.

So far I am really impressed with how the tail has turned out after shooting the first soft plastic one. The action from the tail part of the lure should be bang on. If I can achieve the action I am going for in the body section this should be a very versatile lure. The principles are all there it’s how much tweaking is needed to make them all work together.

The screw in weight system should give the ability to fish this lure with different actions and different depths

If I don’t get what I am looking for I will design a different body till I get what I am going for

I may need to get someone to help me post a video of the action to do it justice once I am happy with everything
Old 01-02-2023, 09:22 AM

Now that we got the underwater camera we are finding that those twisty tails seem to get and hold the attention of the pike, eyes and perch more than other lures.
Even when the lure is held still the water has a wee bit of flow which moves those tails slightly enticing a strike.

Old 01-02-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Now that we got the underwater camera we are finding that those twisty tails seem to get and hold the attention of the pike, eyes and perch more than other lures.
Even when the lure is held still the water has a wee bit of flow which moves those tails slightly enticing a strike.
I was fishing pike one spring, every one was shoulder checking the spoon I was using. I put an orange double tail on the treble and after that they all hit the hook mouth first. even just letting it sink they hit the tail.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-02-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I was fishing pike one spring, every one was shoulder checking the spoon I was using. I put an orange double tail on the treble and after that they all hit the hook mouth first. even just letting it sink they hit the tail.
Agree 100% - Over the years I have noticed many pike will "run the bait" particularly when retrieved or trolled - they swim up fast, bump to with their heads or body then turn back on it once the bait is "stunned" to eat it.

If you don't drop your rod tip (simulating a falling or rising wounded/stunned bait) they swim away - but if you dip the rod and give them a second they will come back mouth first and inhale it.

If the bait keeps swimming like nothing happened - they swim off.

so .... Any time I'm trolling an we are getting the bang bang "bite" then nothing, I know this is what's happening. Then it's time to pick the rod up and the moment you have the bang bang, dip the rod and give it some slack for a second pass hook up. If I don't get a follow up bite in a second or two, and the boat is still moving forward, I give the bait a couple pumps before the slack comes out of the line completely and sometimes that will trigger a big strike.

Pretty neat behavior - I wonder why they do that - maybe they are not sure what it is? want to "test" the bait? very interesting.

Here's one a friend got last year "pumping" the short strikes and got this nice one to turn back around and commit - was his personal best - nice pike.

Last edited by EZM; 01-02-2023 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:35 PM

Most predators like to wound there prey first before killing it. So if your trolling and the bait gets bumped definitely open bail and let bait free fall or drop rod tip to create slack line and like other said they will hit it again. If you keep on trolling and your bait keeps swimming away it’s not realistic to them after bumping or wounding your bait. Walleye will bump test as well.