Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-01-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
+1

I rarely use the jigging bases for trout.
Same. I find they do work at times for Brookies but rarely for bows.
Old 12-02-2022, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
I have the jigging bases for all 4 of mine and looking at my journals deadsticking outfishes the jigging bases about 10 strikes to 1 when fishing stocked trout.
Cool.
I'm not much for stocked trout fishing. When I'm fishing whites it has outfished me.
As good as me for perch/walleye and jacks.. lol
Old 12-02-2022, 07:43 AM

I'm strictly a trout fisherman on the ice and primarily rainbows, so deadsticking always seems to work better than jigging for me. I think I can count on one hand the number of trout I've caught jigging.

Good to know the jigging bases work though.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:58 AM

was real excited about my new skidoo coming , until now finding out it will not be here until January . was ordered in march .
anyone else experienced delivery issues with new skidoos.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:33 PM

There is delivery issues with everything these days especially powered products like snowmobiles, cars, outboards etc.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:50 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
was real excited about my new skidoo coming , until now finding out it will not be here until January . was ordered in march .
anyone else experienced delivery issues with new skidoos.

Ordered in March and got it in October
But I heard some like yours won’t be in until January

Just depends on model and how you configured it is what I was told

The 2023 Skandic LE SWT 900 ace was not a high demand product I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-05-2022, 08:51 AM

Upgraded to Garmin Live Scope LVS 34 transducer used it for the first time yesterday absolute game change couldn't believe how amazing it actually it. My biggest problem now is what to do with my Vexilar 30BB!!
Old 12-05-2022, 01:01 PM

Decided to buy an 8" Eskimo pistol bit to use with my Milwaukee 2803-20. I didn't want to lug around my Z51 10" Eskimo auger this year.

I finally got a chance to test the pistol bit today, and holy cow it just melted through 10" of ice. If it holds up this season, I may never go back to my gas auger.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Upgraded to Garmin Live Scope LVS 34 transducer used it for the first time yesterday absolute game change couldn't believe how amazing it actually it. My biggest problem now is what to do with my Vexilar 30BB!!
It's nice, but I don't think it's worth it to upgrade from the LVS-32. I'm having issues with mine shooting forward in shallow water without a lot of stitching. May have to call Garmin tomorrow while I'm off.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:23 PM

Quote:
It's nice, but I don't think it's worth it to upgrade from the LVS-32. I'm having issues with mine shooting forward in shallow water without a lot of stitching. May have to call Garmin tomorrow while I'm off.
Should have made that one clearer upgraded from my vexilar 30BB to Live scope. Game Changer IMO!
Old 12-12-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Should have made that one clearer upgraded from my vexilar 30BB to Live scope. Game Changer IMO!
100%. Keep the Vexilar for laker fishing though. The LiveScope peters out at around 100' deep.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:59 PM

I ordered a Marcum LX9-L from Cabela's a couple weeks ago when they put them on sale. It arrived the other day and I finally got a chance to try it out on Sunday. It's a nice unit with some nice features and easy to navigate. I like the way you can overlay sonar on the camera screen to watch both. These pics are just a few of the available overlay dashboards. I also like the built in video record feature and I even managed to catch a fish while playing with the camera all day, lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image8.jpg (46.7 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg image13.jpg (21.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg image11.jpg (24.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg image15.jpg (26.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg image9.jpg (25.7 KB, 115 views)
Old 12-14-2022, 08:29 PM

By the look of that last picture, it was money well spent.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:44 PM

Frank, Have you tried the graph display overlay? I find it easier to read!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2022, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon5555 View Post
Frank, Have you tried the graph display overlay? I find it easier to read!

Yes I did. I need to play with it some more to learn how to adjust it so it doesn't cover up so much of the camera view. So far though I really like the unit.
Old 12-15-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Yes I did. I need to play with it some more to learn how to adjust it so it doesn't cover up so much of the camera view. So far though I really like the unit.
Thanks for the post! I've never seen one in action. Had an LX-7 at one time. Picture looks good!
Old 12-15-2022, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Under range if you use manual dynamic and set the depth to just over what actual bottom is it will free up allot of display space and only show the water column. I also don't use the flasher or zoom, as those can be turned off in display options.

Old 12-16-2022, 07:08 AM

Got the new Milwaukee drill on a Black Friday deal and picked up an 8 inch Pistol Bit. Just need to get back on the ice to try it out now. Hoping for no need for my beast of a gas auger.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon5555 View Post
Under range if you use manual dynamic and set the depth to just over what actual bottom is it will free up allot of display space and only show the water column. I also don't use the flasher or zoom, as those can be turned off in display options.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Kind of ticks me off a $1400 unit doesn't come with a manual, you have to download it online. All my Lowrance HDS and Elite units came with manuals, you'd think Marcum would at least include one? I sent them an email to that effect. As I explained to them it's nice to have one with you as many times you find yourself without cel signal on the ice and can't access the manual or youtube videos and when you are navigating units with a lot of settings it can be a bit daunting trying to remember them all until you are very familiar with the unit.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Got the new Milwaukee drill on a Black Friday deal and picked up an 8 inch Pistol Bit. Just need to get back on the ice to try it out now. Hoping for no need for my beast of a gas auger.
even going from the 65 propane to the 25 pound electric is an incredible difference , especially when a person gets to your age! OK "our age" makes walking on a whole lot nicer!

I did finally after days of looking find a dvr to use with my Marcum, supposed to get here after New Years so I can try it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61fxCwPLMzL._AC_SX679_.jpg (39.6 KB, 37 views)

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich

Last edited by WayneChristie; 12-16-2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:56 AM

Thanks bud. That is what happens when you become a senior. Lighter everything becomes so much better.

The little recorder looks interesting. I wonder how much video you can get on the sd cards. You may need a few with you on a busy day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
even going from the 65 propane to the 25 pound electric is an incredible difference , especially when a person gets to your age! OK "our age" makes walking on a whole lot nicer!

I did finally after days of looking find a dvr to use with my Marcum, supposed to get here after New Years so I can try it out.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Kind of ticks me off a $1400 unit doesn't come with a manual, you have to download it online. All my Lowrance HDS and Elite units came with manuals, you'd think Marcum would at least include one? I sent them an email to that effect. As I explained to them it's nice to have one with you as many times you find yourself without cel signal on the ice and can't access the manual or youtube videos and when you are navigating units with a lot of settings it can be a bit daunting trying to remember them all until you are very familiar with the unit.
I agree 100 percent. I remember being on the middle of cold Lake emailing with marcum support trying to figure mine out. 2 years later it completely crapped out on my cold Lake trip and I had to send it off to Manitoba to have the motherboard replaced. Wasn't a pretty bill. But it's been good since. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have to save you the digging.

Old 01-24-2023, 01:47 PM

Goodbye and good riddance janky AF iFish Pro 2.0. Hello Finicky Fooler. Ordered direct from Reider Outdoor Products in Wisconsin January 17th and on my desk exactly one week later.

Old 01-25-2023, 01:10 PM

[QUOTE=AlbertanGP;4603759]Goodbye and good riddance janky AF iFish Pro 2.0. Hello Finicky Fooler. Ordered direct from Reider Outdoor Products in Wisconsin January 17th and on my desk exactly one week later.

I'm interested to hear what you think of these after you've had a chance to use them.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Thanks bud. That is what happens when you become a senior. Lighter everything becomes so much better.

The little recorder looks interesting. I wonder how much video you can get on the sd cards. You may need a few with you on a busy day.
I put the new videos on my computer when I get home, but even a days worth doesnt even make a dent in a 32 G card. Im quite happy with the recorder so far. One new product I really like is the screw in rod holders I got form TFH they lock in a spinning reel perfectly and you can still use them without the locking if you have a finicky walleye at the bait . nothing fancy gearwise but it works great.
https://thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?...w-948111627981

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-25-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Goodbye and good riddance janky AF iFish Pro 2.0. Hello Finicky Fooler. Ordered direct from Reider Outdoor Products in Wisconsin January 17th and on my desk exactly one week later.

I believe Pokeys had them in stock a while ago if someone is looking for a Canadian dealer. I haven’t looked lately though.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-25-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I believe Pokeys had them in stock a while ago if someone is looking for a Canadian dealer. I haven’t looked lately though.

SS
Both Pokey's and Stillwater Adventures were sold out when I called. And Pokey's was considerably more expensive than ordering direct as well.
Old 01-25-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy95 View Post
I'm interested to hear what you think of these after you've had a chance to use them.
I'm going to try them this weekend. The February doldrums have rolled in to the lakes I fish though so they might not get as much of a test as I'd like.

I can already say I like them better just for the sheer compactness of them.
Old 01-25-2023, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy95 View Post

X2 on what coxy95 said
Old 01-25-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I'm going to try them this weekend. The February doldrums have rolled in to the lakes I fish though so they might not get as much of a test as I'd like.

I can already say I like them better just for the sheer compactness of them.
Clayton Schick uses them and likes the product. He uses a lot of different products and knows his stuff.