Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-29-2023, 07:23 PM

Default Green lake sask. river question

Thinking of planning a summer trip to Green lake, I've been there before about 20 years ago, we never went up river to the Beaver, is the river deep enough for larger boats? it's about 10kms of bends can you go fairly fast ?

We were catching walleye at the South end when we were there kid's were catching perch in front of the Lodge is it still good for fishing?
Old 01-29-2023, 08:35 PM

Never been on the river at that end but it is definitely deep enough for larger boats on the Beauval end. Have a friend that lives in Meadow Lake and him and his father fish the Beaver a lot and they run a 19' boat. He also has the river running through his back yard on an acreage he bought about a year and a half ago so he fishes from shore right in his back yard too.
Old 01-30-2023, 04:44 PM

Default green lake

Hi there, yes you can go down the river in a 16-17 foot boat if the water is high enough. Some years the water is low and you really have to watch where you are going.

Goose
Old 01-30-2023, 09:15 PM

Spent a lot of summer fishing trips there, want to go back ASAP. I'll follow along here. Thanks

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 01-30-2023, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Thinking of planning a summer trip to Green lake, I've been there before about 20 years ago, we never went up river to the Beaver, is the river deep enough for larger boats? it's about 10kms of bends can you go fairly fast ?

We were catching walleye at the South end when we were there kid's were catching perch in front of the Lodge is it still good for fishing?
What time of year are you going? You can go on plane most years. Some years of low water it's fairly shallow. Perch are few and far between. But walleye are ok. Not real big but decent numbers.

Last edited by HL_transplant; 01-30-2023 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_transplant View Post
What time of year are you going? You can go on plane most years. Some years of low water it's fairly shallow. Perch are few and far between. But walleye are ok. Not real big but decent numbers.
We went up a few years ago and there was enough water for a big boat, especially if you were on plane but.................it is not very wide when the water is down a bit. There can be quite a few boats going up and down to the forks and if they are on plane be VERY CAREFUL because there are lots of bends. Walleye fishing at the forks was awesome (slip bobber or lindy rig) but we were a little late and mostly just the smaller males (less than 20") were left there. Lots of pike in the main lake, not much for size but good numbers.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the reply’s we are going 1st week in June water should still be up then looking forward to get some lines wet had enough winter
Old 01-31-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply’s we are going 1st week in June water should still be up then looking forward to get some lines wet had enough winter
Should be good levels we're ok last year. Depends how much snow. It's a busy spot at the forks go early in the morning is rhe best bet. Use caution on the bends as there's a fair bit of boat traffic as someone mentioned. Trolling cranks works Hella good if the Beaver isn't running too high.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:28 PM

Are you talking the forks where the green river enters the beaver or way further upstream where the cowan enters the beaver? There is another good spot between where the green enters and where the cowan enters called the steps. Have slayed many walleye there.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Are you talking the forks where the green river enters the beaver or way further upstream where the cowan enters the beaver? There is another good spot between where the green enters and where the cowan enters called the steps. Have slayed many walleye there.
I was talking about the Green and Beaver.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:29 PM

The Beaver has a ton of good spots to go. If the waters high theres always some larger walleye around. Just have to find the pockets of them. Like someone else mentioned pulling small cranks works great for finding them
Old 02-02-2023, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
The Beaver has a ton of good spots to go. If the waters high theres always some larger walleye around. Just have to find the pockets of them. Like someone else mentioned pulling small cranks works great for finding them
I actually used spinner rigs for finding them, been using them since the late 80's. I have found it to be the best controlled depth presentation. You can fish them from 6-26 ft easily and always stay in the strike zone. Unless you are hitting bottom you never know how deep a crankbait is running........... and most don't run deep enough if the fish are in 20ft range. You can vary depth a little with a crankbait (speed, trolling length, line size) but they are really only good for one depth unless you keep changing style of crankbait.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeflyer View Post
I actually used spinner rigs for finding them, been using them since the late 80's. I have found it to be the best controlled depth presentation. You can fish them from 6-26 ft easily and always stay in the strike zone. Unless you are hitting bottom you never know how deep a crankbait is running........... and most don't run deep enough if the fish are in 20ft range. You can vary depth a little with a crankbait (speed, trolling length, line size) but they are really only good for one depth unless you keep changing style of crankbait.
Lead core let's you fish up to 40 feet definitely can get deeper than 26 feet.
Old 02-02-2023, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lead core let's you fish up to 40 feet definitely can get deeper than 26 feet.
Spinners can run much deeper too but I never fish walleye in water as deep as 40 ft.............Also if your searching much more difficult unless you change rod/rig if you want to go from 6-26ft with leadcore.
Old 02-02-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Spinners can run much deeper too but I never fish walleye in water as deep as 40 ft.............Also if your searching much more difficult unless you change rod/rig if you want to go from 6-26ft with leadcore.
Nope. Why would you have to change rods or rigs? You just change your distance. Can easily fish a #6 shad rap from 6 to 26 feet. Same rod, same rig. Line counters are your friend.

Last edited by HL_transplant; 02-02-2023 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nope. Why would you have to change rods or rigs? You just change your distance. Can easily fish a #6 shad rap from 6 to 26 feet. Same rod, same rig. Line counters are your friend.
Fished walleye tournaments on all three trails for about 25 years using many presentations........The results for me and many others will have me staying with spinner rigs......................but you use what ever you like and good luck.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Fished walleye tournaments on all three trails for about 25 years using many presentations........The results for me and many others will have me staying with spinner rigs......................but you use what ever you like and good luck.
They had these results on The Beaver ?? I love blades in lakes. In the Meadow and Beaver river cranks will win out most days. Fished here 30 some days last year.

Last edited by HL_transplant; 02-02-2023 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
They had these results on The Beaver ?? I love blades in lakes. In the Meadow and Beaver river cranks will win out most days. Fished here 30 some days last year.
Pulled spinner rigs for maybe 20-30 minutes on the Beaver and found them stacked up on a rock shoal in about 4 ft water. Anchored up, switched to lindy rig/phelps floater and slip bobbers and did well.........We did try trolling and drifting the south side and more out in the main river later in the day but there were almost no fish there.........all stacked up on the North side. We fished that shoal for three days............and they were there every day.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:13 PM

Fishes great all summer. Just gotta spend the time on that river.
Old 02-03-2023, 08:17 PM

Fished it a lot as a kid when I still lived in Sask. never any problems with a boat on the water. Plenty deep. We used to drift with mr twisters and clam bait. Caught lots of walley and football perch. Lots of pike too, but not too many over 5lbs. Launched out of Beauval usually tho. When we wanted a change we would head over and catch Lake trout at La plonge. Can’t wait to go back one day.
Old 02-04-2023, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation View Post
Fished it a lot as a kid when I still lived in Sask. never any problems with a boat on the water. Plenty deep. We used to drift with mr twisters and clam bait. Caught lots of walley and football perch. Lots of pike too, but not too many over 5lbs. Launched out of Beauval usually tho. When we wanted a change we would head over and catch Lake trout at La plonge. Can’t wait to go back one day.
The section the OP was asking about can be quite shallow I've seen quite a few guys hit bottom on the Green. The Beaver is quite shallow as well all the way from the Green River to Meadow River forks several sections of extremely shallow water and a few rapids even.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:31 AM

I am also heading to Green Lake first week of june. Bringing my 14ft lund and 9.9Hp motor. Any tips or suggestions would be great. Thanks all.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:32 AM

Quote:
HAHA..We are going June 4th to the 10th. We are staying in cabin 8. Maybe we can catch up for a beer or two.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
Are you talking countdown cranks? Any suggestions would be the best to use. I inhereted a bunch of different ones but really haven't had the chance to use them.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Are you talking countdown cranks? Any suggestions would be the best to use. I inhereted a bunch of different ones but really haven't had the chance to use them.
Shad Raps, Flicker Minnows, Taildancers, Hot n tots. All work well.
Old 02-27-2023, 11:14 AM

Can you drive and launch onto Beaver or green river or boat from Green lake?

Would it be beneficial just to stick to the lake for the 5 days we are there or attempt the rivers?
Old 02-27-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Shad Raps, Flicker Minnows, Taildancers, Hot n tots. All work well.
^ i have always had good luck with the purple hot n tots on the Beaver river system
Old 02-27-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Would it be beneficial just to stick to the lake for the 5 days we are there or attempt the rivers?
The last time I was there was 25 years ago, we could access the Green from Green lake. Couldn't go far as our boat set up was to big. You can also access the Beaver near where the Cowan flows in along highway 155. Maybe a 30 minute drive from Green Lake.

BW
Old 02-27-2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:

You can drive to Beatty Lake and launch there on the Beaver. Or launch on Green Lake and Boat up the green river to the forks. That time of year I'd at least try the river initially. Green Lake itself tends to fish better a bit later into the summer, but by mid June it might be worth trying.
Old 02-27-2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
The last time I was there was 25 years ago, we could access the Green from Green lake. Couldn't go far as our boat set up was to big. You can also access the Beaver near where the Cowan flows in along highway 155. Maybe a 30 minute drive from Green Lake.

BW
No boat launch at the Cowan. Only one north of town is at the Beatty Lake access.