Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-29-2023, 12:37 PM

Default Testing the Jiffy Rogue 2.0 - its much better!

Hey Folks!

I've been testing the updated Jiffy Rogue 2.0 out this season and am happy to say Jiffy addressed and fixed every issue they had last year and even extended the warranty - 5 year auger and, even better, a 2 year warranty on the battery!

Full review here:

https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/t...-the-wrinkles/

So far its been very reliable and only cutting out under pretty heavy load or when the battery is near dead. My strikemaster 40v would have cut out too. Recently drilled 50 holes in 22" of ice before the battery died.

Anyone here own one, old or new? Whats your experience been on late ice?

Old 01-29-2023, 02:49 PM

I’ve seen the flights break in person on the ice. I’ve also punched a hole with it…one before I went back to my ION. Friends don’t let friends run Jiffy electric augers. Or as I’ve said previously, “ if it’s yellow let it mellow…on the shelf at Cabela’s. “ I wouldn’t run one if it was given to me for free and in my eyes anyone trying to build an online presence does themself a great disservice by trying to make it sound like anything but the turd it is. This thing ranks up there with the iFish Pro.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:24 PM

Jiffy totally redid the Rogue for this year. Hence the 2.0 designation.

Very different critter to the Rogue of last year. They learnt from that mistake and updated it.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:03 PM

Ok you buy it and hope you don’t get burnt like all the people that bought the original. Jiffy sends me an email every week pedalling “refurbished” Rogues. No thanks.

BTW, this is not a dump on OP. Your article on the adjustable Smitty sled was awesome.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:37 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I like to see how it stands up on three or more years of ice fishing then make a call on a item.
We went with strikemaster 40V but we’re not the first ones to jump on board, learnt a long time ago to let things play out to save you the grief.
Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-30-2023, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I’ve seen the flights break in person on the ice. I’ve also punched a hole with it…one before I went back to my ION. Friends don’t let friends run Jiffy electric augers. Or as I’ve said previously, “ if it’s yellow let it mellow…on the shelf at Cabela’s. “ I wouldn’t run one if it was given to me for free and in my eyes anyone trying to build an online presence does themself a great disservice by trying to make it sound like anything but the turd it is. This thing ranks up there with the iFish Pro.

Some great reviews with fitting in sayings. Yeah I'm not a jiffy fan either. Owned a couple of the gas models. They make great weights to hold down tarps and stuff! My my my, once bitten twice shy.

I'm very happy with my SM 10 inch electric. Fifth season and it still starts on the first pull

Glad to hear your Ion is performing well.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I hate buying first generation of any products. You become the beta tester. hopefully jiffy can offer a rebate to those first gen buyers.

BTW i like the ifishpro.. I just don't like setting it up.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-30-2023, 01:46 PM

Must have one hell of a battery to drill 50 holes in 22 inch of ice.

Sounds like the superman of batteries.

Sounds like a bit of a strech, sure cannot get that out of my SM but maybe the one you were using was a 4inch auger then it would make more sense.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post

Sounds like a bit of a strech, sure cannot get that out of my SM but maybe the one you were using was a 4inch auger then it would make more sense.
I could see it. I can get up over 30 holes on a battery on my 10" Alpha if it's over the course of a day and I keep the battery warm between sets of 8-10 holes. Ambient temp is the key. He probably tested it during the recent warm spell.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I could see it. I can get up over 30 holes on a battery on my 10" Alpha if it's over the course of a day and I keep the battery warm between sets of 8-10 holes. Ambient temp is the key. He probably tested it during the recent warm spell.
It was -10C when I tested it on Buck Lake. I didn't make any attempt to keep the battery warm. It rode in the back of my truck along with the auger. There's pretty good ice this year so cutting wasn't as demanding as it can be. The battery struggled cutting that last hole, but up to hole 49 it actually cut really well. In that 22 inches of ice I only cleared the chips once, about the same as I would do with my 40V Strikemaster.

I hear what your saying about the first gen and I address those concerns in the article. The whole reason Jiffy sent me the auger for review was because of the problems with the first gen. Jiffy wants to get the word out that this new version addressed all the issues they had at first.

I spoke with the president of Jiffy when they sent the auger and I sympathize with him on the challenges of bringing a new product to market during the height of covid and shortages. The first gen missed the mark, but if you were one who bought early and have problems Jiffy will still make it right. They have a really good warranty and if you get in contact with them, the president is so involved he might be the one calling you back.

I'm not a pro staffer and I've been running a strikemaster 40v problem free for a few years now. So if I do have a bias, it probably leans towards Strikemaster. That said, this new Rogue gets the job done and is a big improvement over the original.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post

Doing the math, its actually only 1100" of ice. Jay siemens made a video with the new Ion Alpha where he cut 260 holes in 5" of ice - 1300". So the Jiffy is right in the ballpark with what the new augers are cutting.

I actually have no idea what my 40V SM would cut in a day. I guess I'll have to try that next time I'm out.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:16 AM

I'm a rookie, 1st year ice fishing - but I love my Jiffy auger. Crank version that I converted with a DIY drill bit adapter... and it absolutely shreds ice.
Did two 24" holes yesterday, each was <30 seconds. It takes me longer to shovel the spot than it does to punch holes.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:50 AM

I'll stick with my SM40V...I love how the reviewer in the link states that Jiffy gave him the auger for testing but in no way is his opinion biased...reminds me of a certain Alberta based Cabela's/Bass Pro Pro-staffer who was posting on FB a couple years ago about how great Spypoint cel cams work and meanwhile everyone I know including myself returned the POS'. You cannot post an unbiased review when you are pushing a companies product by agreement. At that point you are not a reviewer you are a SALESMAN.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:28 PM

Everybody has there own opinion on what new auger they like. If it drills a hole in the ice and you can fish then who really cares who makes what. I drive a ford but my buddy has a Chevy. Same old same old. If it works enjoy it !!
Old 02-01-2023, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
Everybody has there own opinion on what new auger they like. If it drills a hole in the ice and you can fish then who really cares who makes what. I drive a ford but my buddy has a Chevy. Same old same old. If it works enjoy it !!
Indeed!
Old 02-01-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
The whole reason Jiffy sent me the auger for review was because of the problems with the first gen. Jiffy wants to get the word out that this new version addressed all the issues they had at first.
This is all about perspective .....

If you were sent a "free" auger by Jiffy, which is NOT the normal protocol and/or gratuity offered to other customers, then, in fact, and by definition, you were "sponsored".

The fact that you wrote a glowing article about this auger, which is precisely what Jiffy intended, when offering you this gratuity, clearly indicates a reciprocal agreement with an implied obligation. They used you as a tool and you happily obliged.

As far as "covid challenges" - any business who develops and launches a new product without the care to follow basic new product launch protocols (like testing, and other quality/supply/aftermarket support/distribution controls will inevitable fail. I find "covid" is a poor excuse for basic prudent business practices designed to protect liability and reputation.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:17 PM

I hear what you guys are saying and from the outside looking in it may seem like product reviewers get "free" stuff. It isn't free, its fee for service. When Jiffy or any other company signs up with me its made clear to them they are getting an honest review written for my audience.

It takes work to write and edit an article, gear and skill to take quality photos/videos and money to build and host a website. My work isn't free, but I also need something to talk about on the website otherwise things get stale. It's more of a quid-pro-quo arrangement.

I hardly think my Rogue review is glowing - in fact I didn't use the word awesome even one time! I aimed to write a balanced, well researched article. My intent is to provide quality and useful information for readers and folks in the market, not to paint Jiffy or any other brand in some glowing light. My real client is you guys - and if you don't feel like you can trust me to be sincere I might as well close up shop.

But I'm also not out to slander anyone. No one who does content creation professionally is going to ruin a companies reputation, and in turn ruin their own, by writing negative or provocative reviews. If a product has an issue or a fault, I'm more likely to send it back and work with the manufacturer on fixing it. Readers likely won't hear about it until its right, if they hear about it at all.

Yeah there are some bad apples out there that just push product and that makes it harder to sift through the BS. Its unfortunate but thats "influencers" for ya. Some people are going to have strong opinions either way about reviewers and there's really nothing I can say to sway them. I guess this response is just to clarify how I operate and maybe address some questions of whats going on behind the scenes.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:11 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
I hear what you guys are saying and from the outside looking in it may seem like product reviewers get "free" stuff. It isn't free, its fee for service. When Jiffy or any other company signs up with me its made clear to them they are getting an honest review written for my audience.

It takes work to write and edit an article, gear and skill to take quality photos/videos and money to build and host a website. My work isn't free, but I also need something to talk about on the website otherwise things get stale. It's more of a quid-pro-quo arrangement.

I hardly think my Rogue review is glowing - in fact I didn't use the word awesome even one time! I aimed to write a balanced, well researched article. My intent is to provide quality and useful information for readers and folks in the market, not to paint Jiffy or any other brand in some glowing light. My real client is you guys - and if you don't feel like you can trust me to be sincere I might as well close up shop.

But I'm also not out to slander anyone. No one who does content creation professionally is going to ruin a companies reputation, and in turn ruin their own, by writing negative or provocative reviews. If a product has an issue or a fault, I'm more likely to send it back and work with the manufacturer on fixing it. Readers likely won't hear about it until its right, if they hear about it at all.

Yeah there are some bad apples out there that just push product and that makes it harder to sift through the BS. Its unfortunate but thats "influencers" for ya. Some people are going to have strong opinions either way about reviewers and there's really nothing I can say to sway them. I guess this response is just to clarify how I operate and maybe address some questions of whats going on behind the scenes.

My perspective is to keep it honest from start to finish. Give your review on the new item(s), use them over time, update review with issues, how the company (s) dealt with them and/or satisfaction of the item(s).
I hate it when a review comes out all super positive etc due to sponsorship, free items etc and a quick quality search on the internet says different. At that point and time I tend to be hesitant of following that individual due to lack of integrity.

I remember a while back sitting with a well known guide and we got to talking fishing items etc, sponsor dropped him for the fact that after running their equipment that was extremely faulty and reporting this to them and not doing nothing about it he dropped them due to that fact. He said not going to promote a pos with my name attached.

Tough decision when you make a living at this but word of mouth travels fast and yup this level of integrity keeps him busy

It would be nice for a updated review on the auger over a season or two of serious use. Like everything time will tell how good it really is.

I personally enjoy your website and have learnt lots.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-02-2023, 06:57 AM

I'm not going to buy one.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:05 AM

These are on sale for 50% off at Cabelas today. Any updates to the review???
Old 12-14-2023, 04:28 PM

Since this thread got bumped, I'll mention that Ardisam recently bought Jiffy. Given that they also own ION and Eskimo, who knows what they'll do with Jiffy. I wouldn't be surprised if they mothballed them in short order.
Old 12-15-2023, 10:21 AM

I have to decide soon if I want to buy the Jiffy 40V on sale for $499 -Reg price $949
Or strikemaster 24V for $469 Reg price $589

I’m a sucker for a huge discount but only if it works!

Old 12-15-2023, 10:30 AM

With a $500 discount that tells me enough to stay away from the yellow never liked jiffy and I don’t care how much of a deal it is.
Old 12-15-2023, 12:17 PM

X2 500 off tells you maybe to stay away.

I have the SM 8"24 and am now going into yr 5 never an issue and I even found a guy who can sharpen the lazer mag blades.
Old 12-20-2023, 10:56 AM

i have the Jiffy e6 lightning lithium electric

not a problem

did over 30 holes -20+ 40v down to 3inches left on shaft

just keep battries warm

had the old gas auger for 30yrs one pull

mine is the black blade unit

love Jiffy augers

as always this is

Food for Thought

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 143790817_10157676546690776_1699863636471238620_n.jpg (81.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg user20496_pic8482_1392270643.jpg (48.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg user20496_pic2514_1291392884.jpg (54.8 KB, 76 views)
Old 12-21-2023, 10:50 AM

^^^Nice haul!!

I did get scared off from buying the Jiffy and went for the Strikemaster instead. I'm glad its working for you though.
Old 12-22-2023, 09:42 AM

Jiffy rogue 2.0 is still running strong! Between myself, dad and brother it’s getting a ton of use. No issues to date with it. I did buy a second battery for late ice and the battery that shipped to me had issues so I ended up exchanging it but the new one works.

Since Strikemaster sent me the 24V last season and Eskimo sent an E40 this season I have a heck of a stable going. Compared to the two new ones the Jiffy is heavy but it cuts a hole just as well as the others.
Old 12-22-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastcast View Post
I have to decide soon if I want to buy the Jiffy 40V on sale for $499 -Reg price $949
Or strikemaster 24V for $469 Reg price $589

I’m a sucker for a huge discount but only if it works!

I do have both and my only caution to you would be the 24V needs an extra battery, maybe even two if you like to hole hop. Late season ice I would get around 15 holes per battery before it died.
Old 01-04-2024, 02:56 PM

I'm more of a Jiffy guy. My Jiffy has never EVER let me down so why not be...? But I'll also offer a review. Not a discouraging complaint.

Doing well so far for me!
I did buy the 2.0 on sale it was literally impossible to ignore, especially with the second battery, a 10 inch plastic flight and an incredible warranty on top of that!
I think i paid just over 700 for the full gamut, and just got a head cover to pack it on the snowmobile at Xmas. (I think they are about 60 bucks?)

I was humming and hawing for about a month and leaning toward the new eskimo to be honest. Although I didn't like how it felt in my hands, I'm pretty sure my 8 year old son could drill with it! And I have fished quite a bit with the guy with the 40V strikemaster and I didn't like it if I'm being honest. I just couldn't make myself fork out the full retail price for the ION, 10" flighting and and extra battery. Then buy extensions and covers on top. Maybe one day. lol.

It's aggressive, fast, and like you say the only cut outs I've experienced are on 33% battery or less, or if it's under extreme heavy load, which, generally you can drill without really loading it up. My one friend was actually pushing it like you would a traditional machine with ripper blade (which you don't need to do) - and he seemed to get it to cut out. I never had any cut outs on my first kick at the cat. I find if you actually let it kinda float in the hole or even just kinda hold it back if anything, it really keeps it's RPM up and it's literally effortless...

High level my feedback:
-Super efficient cutting blades. Insanely effortless. I can't get over the way it cuts, and especially how seemlessly it punches through.
-No shimmy or wobble whatsoever, very rigid. (I find the competitor brands all have more free play from the shaft to the flight.)
-Weight wise it's WAAY better than gas but not noticeably different than competitive electric augers. (I'm 6'0 260 lbs, don't really struggle with weight, or notice the difference unless I grab the eskimo)
-Frame size is good, and it feels really good in the hands (to me, a lifetime jiffy guy) - I prefer the bigger frame in hand as compared to how narrow the ION is. As above, the eskimo is significantly smaller; so outside the 1st generation factor, I actually didn't like how small the eskimo was, even smaller than than the ION in hand. I am still thinking that eskimo would be the best auger for a kid to drill with though!
-Flight is compatible with all my existing jiffy extension, cleans the hole really well, and me, with limited experience with electrics, the turbo mode keeps the hole super clean.
-Flight hauls out snow well, even after they corrected from the 1.0 adding the gaps in the flighting. Been drilling up to 18" with no need to clean holes whatsowever.

Experience-wise: LLB we did well over 80 holes in 8" ice, Dec 12th, -17 Celsius for the bulk of the holes. Ironwood I probably did 80 holes in 10" ice, -6 ish, then another 1/2 dozen the following day on LLB with 10" ice, without warming the 'in use' battery overnight. Both times I still had 30% battery life left. My first experience at LLB I did find the warmer I kept the battery, all in all, the better the peak performance.

6 times on the ice in December and I literally love drilling holes with it.
Don't have any late ice experience yet. Did several (maybe 20 holes total) last weekend, through 18-20" ice (that's the max so far).

Only complaints:
-Oblong handle makes it so it won't sit upright when stored in a horizontal position, which is worsened with the battery left in it.
-Maybe I'm a newbie... but I stuggle figuring out the time delay when releasing the triggers for the motor to actually stop. It doesn't even hesitate when it punches through, so you can pull up major water if you're not paying attention...it's so smooth, most times you can't even feel when you are going through the bottom...

my 2c.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:14 AM

Default Jiffy should have apologized to 1.0 buyers

I have never owned or used an ice auger until purchasing the Jiffy Rogue 2.0. After a lot of debate within, I decided on the Jiffy ‘Rogue’. I priced it at various dealers and discovered that my local ‘small town’ dealer had the best price. I asked them to put my name on their last one. Before picking it up, I discovered the problems with the 1.0 and the fixes on the ‘2.0’. I called them and asked which version they had and they had no clue. I finally asked if the picture on the box had 1 cutting blade or 2 and they confirmed it had 1. This is the non updated version (sorta). Jiffy hastily put these to market during COVID without proper field testing. Once the unit problems started appearing, Jiffy addressed the problems completely, but without any sort of public apology or public solution. Jiffy will (apparently) provide an updated auger (with softer plastic and dual cutting blades) as well as a free update to the software that addresses the cutting out and wrong reversing directions. The updated boxes have ‘stickers’ over the original single blade and a ‘2.0’ sticker on the box. Even if the box doesn’t have the stickers, another ‘tell tale’ sign is there will be a set of secondary staple holes in the box top. These are units that have been opened, software fixed and a new auger swapped out. If you read reviews that are 1 or 2, you can quickly tell that they have the 1.0. If you se ‘5’ or occasionally 4, you can tell they have the 2.0. Needless to say, I made sure to get the 2.0. Been using the auger, but nothing else to compare. Finally went out with some friends who have the Ion. With the Jiffy on high speed, it absolutely shredded the Ion.The other guys could not believe the speed. Never used the slow speed, but high speed literally throws the shavings out of the hole. I could go on, but other reviewers with the 2.0 have pretty much said it all. If you have the 1.0, contact Jiffy or your dealer and have it upgraded to the 2.0. They even now have a 5 year warranty. Also, as an added bonus that hasn’t yet been confirmed, it appears that the 80volt batteries from Greenworks and a couple other brands may be compatible. Just wish Jiffy would have done some better P.R. Work as it appears that even Cabelas has taken the Rogue off their site.

Last edited by Northern Gadget; 02-11-2024 at 11:21 AM.