Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-31-2023, 09:30 PM

Default Primer price?

What is the going price on large rifle and Lrm primers these days?
I’ve seen a couple private sales where people are asking almost 0.5$/primer.

Is that really what people are paying?
Old 01-31-2023, 09:55 PM

https://townpost.ca/search/alberta/primers?page=1

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-31-2023, 09:57 PM

This has been covered several times recently. The bottom line is if you are selling you can ask whatever you want for your primers , powder ,or firearms if someone steps up with the money to pay your price then more power to you.

Asking and getting are not always in the same sentence.

Primers have definitely gone up in price and will likely continue that way till stores see regular inventory.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:31 AM

Could get interesting come fall if there is nothing n the stores.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:03 AM

Taking into consideration that it could be more than a year or more before retailers see any primers, and considering the state of the world it could even be longer than that (if ever). Add to the fact that factory ammunition for some calibers has more than tripled, and once again you may not be able to find it. Yes the prices are hard to believe what they are now, but what’s better? You may have been able to reload a box of 28 Nosler a couple years ago for $40, now it may cost you $100 to reload the same box. Given that factory ammo May cost over $160/box, if you can’t buy any, then your $3k rifle is now nothing more than a canoe paddle… The registry didn’t work, maybe this is the govt’s Plan B…
Old 02-01-2023, 06:56 AM

More listed this morning right here on the AO $50 / 100 which seems to be the going rate these day's, as others have said if you don't have any and can't shoot then maybe $50 / 100 is not bad but at that price use them sparingly

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:16 AM

It would be interesting to watch gun show prices this year, but apparently there wasn't much for primers for sale at the Lloydminster show, at any price. I don't see a local show even scheduled for 2023 though, so I may not get out to a show for a while. So with no primers in stores, the online sales may be the only source of primers, so they may set the prices for 2023.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I guess it’s fortunate I have a large supply. Just couldn’t believe the prices I was seeing.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:13 AM

I’ve seen $0.50 to $1

All the domestic primer producers are also ammunition producers. They can sell as much as they can make, and loaded ammo has a higher profit margin. We aren't gonna get help from Russian supplies obviously

IMO if you don’t have em, you’d better buy what you need at whatever the price

I don’t think this is government directed, it’s a response to the leftard governments in Canada and the US. But you can bet they are paying attention and figuring out how to use it against us in the future.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:28 AM

Watch, wait, and shop smart. Lots of people don't shop smart.

I see dozens and dozens of ads where people are asking more than new for in stock items.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Watch, wait, and shop smart. Lots of people don't shop smart.

I see dozens and dozens of ads where people are asking more than new for in stock items.
Always pays to shop around. Today I have seen stores with 8 lbs of h4350 in stock, prices are $650 one place and $998 in the other place.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:20 PM

I sold 2 sleeves of 100 for $7.50 each to SNS2. That's what I paid for them. Will I be selling more? Hell no. I'll help a Fellow out, but not if it screws me trying to replace them.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I sold 2 sleeves of 100 for $7.50 each to SNS2. That's what I paid for them. Will I be selling more? Hell no. I'll help a Fellow out, but not if it screws me trying to replace them.
And sns2 appreciates your unselfish gesture greatly.

Each to his own, but I could never charge a forum member $50 sleeve unless I paid $45. In my economy, that's called screwing a fellow outdoorsmen. Each to his own.

On KIJIJI? Sure. But not on AO. This is my community.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:47 PM

Best Price I Know of for Federal Match Primers is $20/100 and buddy wont sell you more than 500 and won’t ship them to 99% of people ...he has hundreds of thousands of primers in stock too....don’t even ask who it is cause I ain’t sayin
Old 02-01-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It would be interesting to watch gun show prices this year, but apparently there wasn't much for primers for sale at the Lloydminster show, at any price. I don't see a local show even scheduled for 2023 though, so I may not get out to a show for a while. So with no primers in stores, the online sales may be the only source of primers, so they may set the prices for 2023.
There were some primers at the Lloyd show lg and sm rifle, mags some bench rest lots of CIL antiques none had the prices marked and I didn't ask.

I should add I was there late Sunday they were still there.
Old 02-01-2023, 04:17 PM

Last fall I bought a couple of boxes of Barnes factory ammo at 110 apiece. Seems to me the component prices aren’t that bad.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
And sns2 appreciates your unselfish gesture greatly.

Each to his own, but I could never charge a forum member $50 sleeve unless I paid $45. In my economy, that's called screwing a fellow outdoorsmen. Each to his own.

On KIJIJI? Sure. But not on AO. This is my community.
100% agree with this.

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2023, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Best Price I Know of for Federal Match Primers is $20/100 and buddy wont sell you more than 500 and won’t ship them to 99% of people ...he has hundreds of thousands of primers in stock too....don’t even ask who it is cause I ain’t sayin
So the point of your post was what????You know a guy who is selling primers at a decent price, has hundreds of thousands of them but your not telling anyone who it is.........unbelievable.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeflyer View Post
So the point of your post was what????You know a guy who is selling primers at a decent price, has hundreds of thousands of them but your not telling anyone who it is.........unbelievable.
Hundered thousand is only 20 cases. Million is 200 cases. Probably not even a palet full. If he advertised they would be gone in a day.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:23 PM

You never know the sellers circumstances... say 8 years back you stocked up on 5k primers at $45/1000. Today you find yourself jobless and a medical bill that is very unexpected. You look at all your liquidatable assets and see your primers are worth possibly 4x your investment... would you list them at the highest price feasible or sell them at 2015 prices??.
At the end of the day a guy has a product to trade in exchange for your cash. If the product offered isn't worth the cash you have just move on. I dont begrudge anyone trying to make a buck or 500 on products he owns..heck I just sold two guns locally for 3x++ what I bought them for. They sold in two days for asking price...guess I might just be a gouger.. if I'm looking for a product and I see a guy asking more than I think it's worth to me I just keep searching..
Old 02-01-2023, 06:53 PM

The primer shortage was starting almost three years ago and has been getting progressively worse. The primers being produced are going into factory ammo. I can't see the shortage improving in 2023. Hopefully 2024 will be better. I have seen some going for over $ 1 a pop and 50 to 60 cents per is pretty common. This road is going to get bumpier before it gets better.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
You never know the sellers circumstances... say 8 years back you stocked up on 5k primers at $45/1000. Today you find yourself jobless and a medical bill that is very unexpected. You look at all your liquidatable assets and see your primers are worth possibly 4x your investment... would you list them at the highest price feasible or sell them at 2015 prices??.
At the end of the day a guy has a product to trade in exchange for your cash. If the product offered isn't worth the cash you have just move on. I dont begrudge anyone trying to make a buck or 500 on products he owns..heck I just sold two guns locally for 3x++ what I bought them for. They sold in two days for asking price...guess I might just be a gouger.. if I'm looking for a product and I see a guy asking more than I think it's worth to me I just keep searching..
You know bud, with inflation squeezing the middle class, and rising interest rates changing lots of things, what’s happening with primers is just one more thing. I think peoples’ patience is thin in many areas, and this is just one more thing causing frustration.

Could you imagine if we could still comment on other members’ buy and sell ads. It would be epic.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
You know bud, with inflation squeezing the middle class, and rising interest rates changing lots of things, what’s happening with primers is just one more thing. I think peoples’ patience is thin in many areas, and this is just one more thing causing frustration.

Could you imagine if we could still comment on other members’ buy and sell ads. It would be epic.
I can totally understand the frustration. There are tons of folks holding on by a frayed thread. Myself included, for some attempting to get the most out of any liquid asset might be the only way they hang on. Others are just straight up taking advantage, since I cant cipher who is who from a want add I'll hold my judgment and either pony up or not depending on how bad I need it....if you see me posting my stash for $$$ you ll know I need the cash.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I can totally understand the frustration. There are tons of folks holding on by a frayed thread. Myself included, for some attempting to get the most out of any liquid asset might be the only way they hang on. Others are just straight up taking advantage, since I cant cipher who is who from a want add I'll hold my judgment and either pony up or not depending on how bad I need it....if you see me posting my stash for $$$ you ll know I need the cash.
All of these things are what they are. None of us will likely give up hunting for lack of primers. And all of us can just pass on by the ads. Nothing to get too worked up over I wouldn’t think. Hopefully, the market demand will be met with a capitalist stepping in and meeting the supply. That’s the way it used to work. Who knows now. At one time firms sought vertical integration to control their inputs. Now it’s just in time ordering at the whim and behest of whatever waves are whipping the global supply chain. When Taiwan/China/Take your pick catches a cold, we end up catching the flu.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Your absolutely correct, it's hard to say why people are selling, some are trying to take advantage of the market and gouge out a fat profit, but I am sure some are just trying to free up some cash to feed their family and pay some bills. We'll know when it gets really tough we'll see guys advertising guns, ammo, reloading supplies for sale and listing Sobeys, Safeway or Superstore gift cards as acceptable trades, this inflation is hurting us all big time but young people raising families that were struggling before are really taking a hit now, and unfortunately 2023 doesn't look any brighter.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:38 AM

Quote:
All of these things are what they are. None of us will likely give up hunting for lack of primers. And all of us can just pass on by the ads. Nothing to get too worked up over I wouldn’t think. Hopefully, the market demand will be met with a capitalist stepping in and meeting the supply. That’s the way it used to work. Who knows now. At one time firms sought vertical integration to control their inputs. Now it’s just in time ordering at the whim and behest of whatever waves are whipping the global supply chain. When Taiwan/China/Take your pick catches a cold, we end up catching the flu.
The current shortage is a lot different than the previous shortages, the companies are actually making more product than ever, but the military and law enforcement contracts put a huge demand on production. Combine this with a lack of production , from the covid period, and a couple of years of back orders, and there just isn't enough product to go around. The companies will not be spending huge capital to increase production, because once the military and law enforcement contracts are filled, the back orders will all be filled, and there will no longer be a shortage. Then the manufacturers will resume normal production, and prices will stabilize, although the new normal prices won't be what they were a couple of years ago. Our problem, is that it may take another year or two for this to happen, to where production actually exceeds demand.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
The current shortage is a lot different than the previous shortages, the companies are actually making more product than ever, but the military and law enforcement contracts put a huge demand on production. Combine this with a lack of production , from the covid period, and a couple of years of back orders, and there just isn't enough product to go around. The companies will not be spending huge capital to increase production, because once the military and law enforcement contracts are filled, the back orders will all be filled, and there will no longer be a shortage. Then the manufacturers will resume normal production, and prices will stabilize, although the new normal prices won't be what they were a couple of years ago. Our problem, is that it may take another year or two for this to happen, to where production actually exceeds demand.
100%
It would be very poor business to invest tons of money into increasing production. You never know when the demand would slow down. It makes much more sense to run your equipment 24/7 so that what you have is at max capacity. I’m sure it would take a couple of years before you set up another facility that was able to add to production anyways
Old 02-02-2023, 11:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
100%
It would be very poor business to invest tons of money into increasing production. You never know when the demand would slow down. It makes much more sense to run your equipment 24/7 so that what you have is at max capacity. I’m sure it would take a couple of years before you set up another facility that was able to add to production anyways
Remember back about 10 years ago when .22 ammo jumped from 20/brick to 40/brick and the talk about the price going down when production went up................never happened...............so I wouldn't count on the price of primers going down............but hopefully.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeflyer View Post
Remember back about 10 years ago when .22 ammo jumped from 20/brick to 40/brick and the talk about the price going down when production went up................never happened...............so I wouldn't count on the price of primers going down............but hopefully.
Prices will likely remain at what the stores were charging as they ran out, in the $120-$150/1000 range, but I don't expect to ever to see $60-$70/1000 again.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:24 PM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Prices will likely remain at what the stores were charging as they ran out, in the $120-$150/1000 range, but I don't expect to ever to see $60-$70/1000 again.
My thoughts also.