Old 02-03-2010, 02:00 PM

Default sako a7

anyone own the a7 sako and what are the pro's and con's of the rifle
Old 02-03-2010, 02:05 PM

Con;
Not available in left hand

There are no absolutes
Old 02-03-2010, 02:10 PM

Everything nice about it except the cheap feeling plastic stock. Plastic foam filled not good.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:21 PM

Stock feels cheap, and the recoil pad is a brick, but then the rifle is a good deal cheaper than some of the other lightweights. I love it. I got sub MOA groups with cheap Federal ammo, it's light, I don't care if the stock get scratched (which it hasn't), has some nice features such a steel lips on the plastic mag, a release that disallows accidentally bumping and losing your mag. And it is light, and affordable. I've put my heavy wood stocked .300WM aside for now, and only carry my A7 in 270 Win.

Frans
Old 02-03-2010, 02:23 PM

Pro's Very accurate, I like the magazine release system, and it is light

Con's. I agree, the stock does feel cheap. THat's why I wrapped camo tape on mine.

I have a 3006 A7 and my son has a 300winmag. both shoot submoa with 180g Nosler partitions with rl22 powder. Mine is 57gr and the 300 is 73gr of powder. In case you wondered......
Old 02-03-2010, 02:33 PM

Agree with the above, mine shoots sub moa, is "very light". I don't like the feel of the stock, I prefer my T3 synthetic stock over the A7. It's nice that it comes in two action sizes. I put a limbsaver on asap, makes it much nicer. If I were looking at a long action cartridge I'd take a Tikka if it were less $$ then the Sako.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:34 PM
sheephunter

The newer A7s are considerably heavier than the original ones due to some changes in the stock.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
The newer A7s are considerably heavier than the original ones due to some changes in the stock.
that could be a good thing, mine was lighter than spec and i think i got an early one here, it was a stainless .270 wsm at 5 lb 15.5 oz (with magazine and bolt of course)

mine does 5 shots sub moa with a few factory ammos, it likes federal supreme stuff, does not like winchester supreme

con's, kicks sharpish, i put a brake on mine, love it, i also had it pillar bedded for rock solid lock up while it was in for the brake, probably didn't need the bedding i just like it when it locks up really solid when you take apart and put back together

pro's, so far it has been a little finger of doom hitting everything it points at and its my go to rig at the moment, good bang for the buck imo, many little upgrades over the tikka worth the cash if you can afford the upgrade imo, my previous rig was a tikka and also a great rig for the money and very accurate
Old 02-03-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
Agree with the above, mine shoots sub moa, is "very light". I don't like the feel of the stock, I prefer my T3 synthetic stock over the A7. It's nice that it comes in two action sizes. I put a limbsaver on asap, makes it much nicer. If I were looking at a long action cartridge I'd take a Tikka if it were less $$ then the Sako.
Local shop has the A7's for about the same as T3's. Blued for $829 and stainless for $929. IIRC. Good rifle for those $$$ IMHO>
Old 02-04-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
What Recoil Pad will fit without any modification????

You say "Put a limbsaver on asap" - which model because there don't list one for the Sako A7.

Who has change the recoil pad on their Sako A7?

I'm not sure if it's ok to post where you bought your rifle but I got my "online" for $600 + $35 shipped for a Brand New 2009 Sako A7 30-06 in Stainless Steel.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkngood View Post
What Recoil Pad will fit without any modification????

You say "Put a limbsaver on asap" - which model because there don't list one for the Sako A7.

Who has change the recoil pad on their Sako A7?

I'm not sure if it's ok to post where you bought your rifle but I got my "online" for $600 + $35 shipped for a Brand New 2009 Sako A7 30-06 in Stainless Steel.
Not sure the pad number, but it is the exact same one that goes on the Synthetic T3's. Goes to show even more that they are more similar then different. The pad fits great. That's a smoking deal on your A7 by the way, would you be so kind as to pm me where you got it, I may need another one , er I mean want another one.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
That's a smoking deal on your A7 by the way, would you be so kind as to pm me where you got it, I may need another one , er I mean want another one.

It was bought from a US website and the deal is for US only.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJABABY View Post
It was bought from a US website and the deal is for US only.
Sorry about that guys. I didn't realize everyone is from Canada.

Yes - I bought this in the US and has it shipped to my local FFL dealer in TX.