Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-04-2010, 10:19 AM

Okotokian,

Great post. Basically you and I are on the same page, and I see what you are getting at. I think the only difference is that I have yet to experience anything dangerous or stupid while I have been there. If I had, like you, I probably would have told the guys where to go.

As Marlin put it, I "don't like having rifles pointed at me". I hope that day never comes, but I can't deny I'd speak up if happened.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansol View Post
Okotokian,

Great post. Basically you and I are on the same page, and I see what you are getting at. I think the only difference is that I have yet to experience anything dangerous or stupid while I have been there. If I had, like you, I probably would have told the guys where to go.

As Marlin put it, I "don't like having rifles pointed at me". I hope that day never comes, but I can't deny I'd speak up if happened.
yep I told the gentleman to please keep his rifle pointed downrange. He was pointing it over his shoulder in my direction . well I may not said please
Old 02-05-2010, 07:12 AM

I shoot out at Sibald quite a bit but I prefer to keep to myself and do my own thing.

If you want to be a douche, go ahead but as soon as you do something that is dangerous (playing with your rifle while people are checking targets, walk ahead of the firing line while people are shooting, etc), I'll be the first guy to say something about it.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 02-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Banned

I had often thaught that I'd like to take a trip out to Sibbald one day and do some shooting with a friend, maybe meet other shooters and make a day of it. But, having read these posts and some past threads here concerning it's condition, the damage, disreguard for safety and the free for all shoot-em up attitudes, I think I'll stick to our own backyards where there are 2 privately owned ranges that I know of. It's a sad thing to hear though, because I'm sure that all those people who are not into firearms, recreational shooting or hunting must think very highly of us after seeing the carnage that you all describe.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:16 AM

Has anyone been out this week at all, and if so how are the roads.
thanks
g
Old 02-05-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansol View Post
Okotokian,

I agree you should speak up when you experience it. If more folks did that our ranges woulld be safer and in much better shape BUT be carefull!!! you might be called the next
Are you the official Sibbald range officer? I get a kick out of the guys who selflessly undertake that "role"...
Old 02-05-2010, 06:50 PM

Hansol you contradict yourself in so many ways that it is not worth arguing about.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:59 AM

I really am not sure what everyone is arguing about. Range safety has to be paramount, without exception. Everyone at an uncontrolled range needs to have their wits about them and look out for each other. When we first moved to Calgary, we hit the range a few times. Met some interesting shooters and some others. I know a tale from a forum writer who was checking his targets at 200 with other shooters when a shot rang off. By the time the posse got back to the benches, the idiot has bolted.
You can never be too cautious, at the range or hunting.
Ranges like the Rosebud and Olds do not employ range officers as it is the shooter's responsibility to manage the safety of themselves and the other shooters and it works very well. I am always impressed with the quality of shooters at Rosebud and the safe conduct of all... Like I said previously, I'll pay my membership and leave little Beirut to those who don't mind excitement in their life.....
Old 02-06-2010, 05:02 PM

Traps, I'm sorry I didn't live up to your contextual expectations. I'll try harder next time.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:32 PM

Its ironic that you criticize me for speaking up when someone does something stupid and potentially dangerous, call me a range policeman and a drill sergeant like I am breathing down people's necks that deserve to be there. Then turn around and say that you would speak up yourself if someone did something stupid. Could it be perhaps that your being a hypocrite? Your more than likely "the guy" on the range if you haven't seen one of these individuals for yourself.

You clean up the range and am mad that the benches are shot up and there is garbage lying around. I hope you don't say anything and let the etiquette of the range degenerate so that one day someone may fire your way while down range, hopefully at that point you'd get the point of the severity of the situation and the privelege that it is to shoot and give it the respect that it deserves.

As for not living up to my contextual expectations...you don't. Your argument is contradictory, weak, and self inflating about all the righteous stuff you point out that you do. In many ways I feel sorry for you, you seem like a tiny man with a big gun.