Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-07-2010, 09:31 AM

Default More accurate cartridges??

Just curious if some of the more experienced guys/gals can answer a question about this topic. How much more accurate is say a .222 over a .223 etc. I keep reading and hearing about how some cartridges are just more accurate ie/ .222, 260 rem, .308, .300 win mag, .338 lapua. If a guy wanted to get a little more serious about long range shooting(not hunting) are these a good place to start? I have a very accurate .340wby but are these other rounds just better or is it just hype? I dont want to get into to many wildcats or benchrest, just long range. Plus it could be a good excuse to go buy something different.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:46 AM

First you need to have a gun/shooter combination capable of utilizing the small benefit of certain cartridge designs. Most factory rifles have many manufacturing and tolerance problems that need to be overcome to realize any difference. A well put together rifle will shoot just about anything better than a poorly toleranced and barrelled rifle with one of the supposedly 'accurate' chamber designations.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:14 PM

Along with what bushrat said I think that people refer to the available BC of bullets that are shot. 6.5 and 7mm bullets have very good BC's in the heavier grains for example. The better the BC the more likely to be a good long range calibre.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:34 PM

i think that most any cartridge is accurate to some degree, its just that some have better designs to them that make them inherently more accurate. .222, .308,.284.,6.5x284,300win.338lapua,50bmg all have designs that burn the powder they were made for. there are exceptions of course, i believe that starting with good action, good trigger, good barrel and stock you have the beginning of a recipe for success. if you want to shoot at longer ranges, shoot a cartridge that is cheap to buy or you reload a lot of, and of course something that isnt going to beat you to death. practice is the key, learning how to dope the wind is something that even the pros still sometimes have problems with. elevation is easy, just figure out your ballistics charts and shoot at 200,300,400,500, all the way out to the extent of how far you want to shoot, but the wind drift is something you can never really get a good handle on unless you shoot a lot. the higher b.c bullets will help with this, but i still believe practice is paramount.....
Old 02-07-2010, 01:28 PM

Default Shooter Magazine

I think this Magazine just did a review of a Savage TR (Target Rifle) in 308 that shot 1" groups at 500 yds. Do some reading. It didn't seem to make much differnce which shells he used (Okay, maybe 1/2" worth) As was mentioned, it takes a combination of things and not just more accurate cartridges. If you can't hit the broadside of a barn door anyhow, a different cartridge won't help much. Practice, practice, practice