Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-12-2008, 12:29 PM

Default Removable Magazine?

Anyone know of of a removable magazine available for a Weatherby Vanguard 22-250? I was out dog hunting last weekend and absolutely hate the bottom, swing door design. Rifle shoots great, but loading from the top is a PIA with my big fingers and scope in the way.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:37 PM

open bottom with gun upside down bolt closed put your shells in close bottom you are ready to hunt.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy View Post
open bottom with gun upside down bolt closed put your shells in close bottom you are ready to hunt.
I heard about that somewhere??!!
Cat
Old 01-12-2008, 02:20 PM

Hearing about it, doing it, still doesn't mean it's a PIA, doesn't conform to nearly every other rifle that I own, and doesn't help with locating what I was asking for.

I asked a question to get some true info if anyone had any. If not, fine. If nothing is available, no problem.

I didn't ask for stupid answers or remarks.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:30 PM

Sorry to say I dont think there are any readily available clip conversions for the Weatherby/ Howa rifles.
If it is any help, follow the upside down idea.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-12-2008, 02:38 PM

Now, having not needed the services of any gunsmiths in a really long time, are there any around Edmonton that would be up to the task to making one, or would the cost exceed the price of the rifle?
Old 01-12-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkCanyon View Post
Now, having not needed the services of any gunsmiths in a really long time, are there any around Edmonton that would be up to the task to making one, or would the cost exceed the price of the rifle?
Yup likely you could sell the Howa, and buy something in a DM and still come out on top, compared to getting something built or re worked. Think a minimum of $50.00/hr, and it wont get done in 8 hrs either.
Look at a Tikka, (not my first choice but everyone loves em for some reason), or a Rem 700 SPS DM.
Sell the Howa, buy a new DM model and be done with it.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-12-2008, 02:52 PM

Default road huntings' greatest invention

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243997
even this guy had the same question and know one could help him.
ive tryed for the wby mark 5's and nothing. (i do realize yours is a howa)
dick is faster typer, i would have said same.
if its that much of a problem maybe spoon feeding it will have to do or regretfully its maybe time for a new pistola with a dm or at least the option to buy an aftermarket DM.

and what stupid answer was made willys or the cats??!?

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 01-12-2008, 02:58 PM

I'm not sure on going as far as selling it. I'm getting good, very good, groupings with it which makes me happy for stumbling on one of those deals one really couldn't refuse.

As stated, I don't own a rifle that doesn't have a DM. Maybe I don't like change, but I just wanted to put some feelers out if anything was available. If there is nothing, then no issue. I'll just learn to live with it. I was figruing maybe someone on the off chance had something like that done.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:35 PM

I saw an ad for a 20 rnd trench mag for 1903 Springfield @ 4,000 USD. I think it may be available for a very long time.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:17 PM

WTF just gave you an idea to try to make it easier to load no scope in the way which is the reason you said for not liking the hinged floor plate. Wanna sell the rifle ?
Old 01-12-2008, 10:10 PM

I was playing around on the weatherby website the other day and checking out custom rifles. One of the options you can choose is a detachable magazine. Maybe you can get a floorplate and mag from weatherby directly?

Just an idea.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 01-12-2008, 10:45 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Maybe you can get a floorplate and mag from weatherby directly?
And maybe the parts will even be less than the price of the rifle?
Old 01-13-2008, 09:19 AM

I was looking around their website myself I couldn't find a reference specific to my rifle. I'll have to phone them as I couldn't find an email address either, so I posed the question here.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:54 AM

Default after market parts

There is a conversion kit out there. I was rooting around on Amazon.com a mont6h or so back, looking for the magazine kit for my Remington 700. I can't remember the website or the name of the vendor, but they did carry a drop in magazine kit.

Keep searching, it does exist.

I have a collection of removable magazines that I only started 2 seasons back. In 108 this past season, it seems every time my buddy and I walked a fenceline, opened a gate, or crossed a coulee, we found another magazine. Do you really want that on a hunting rifle?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
There is a conversion kit out there. I was rooting around on Amazon.com a mont6h or so back, looking for the magazine kit for my Remington 700. I can't remember the website or the name of the vendor, but they did carry a drop in magazine kit.

Keep searching, it does exist.

I have a collection of removable magazines that I only started 2 seasons back. In 108 this past season, it seems every time my buddy and I walked a fenceline, opened a gate, or crossed a coulee, we found another magazine. Do you really want that on a hunting rifle?
Better than dropping individual little 22-250 shells in the snow from my big fingers. Besides, I'd rather have the noise of one little click to remove / insert a DM, than the jingle jangle that occurs from loading / removing through the floor plate for those fence line crossings. I take pride in being quiet.

Too bad you can't remember the website.....if you have a revelation, let me know.

Last edited by ElkCanyon; 01-13-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 PM

Smile

They do have a DM for the Weatherby. Here us the link for it:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=179738

Now, if they would just make one in 257 Wby Mag with a silver finish I would be quite happy!!!

Hope that I have helped you out.

Regards,
Steve