Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-01-2013, 09:36 PM

Default One Nice Rifle Or A Few Cheaper Ones?

At the risk of being indecisive like my ex-wives I don't know what to do! Start with one nice rifle and add gradually add or get several adequate cheaper models to start? This is further complicated by the fact I want to target shoot, reload and hunt. Heres a list of firearms I like any suggestions where to start?
Remington VTR in .308 and .223?
Ruger Mini 14?
Ruger Mini 30?
.22 Target Rifle? Savage Mark II BTR?
12 Gauge maybe Mossberg 500 Combo?
SKS cheap rifle & cheap ammo?

Quandry's Questions Wants and Needs! Should have bought a lottery ticket!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:37 PM

Buy quality. It stays long after you forget the price.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:39 PM

I am inheriting a Ruger MKII Target Pistol in .22LR.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:41 PM

Default I am on board with quality but I need patience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthygeezer View Post
I am leaning that way too I am just itching to go so I need to curb my impatience!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:54 PM

My RPAL should arrive in the next couple weeks what will be my first purchase in a rifle? I already have a gun safe. Probably the Remington 700 VTR in .308 and the Mark II Savage in .22 as I have a gopher spot to cull and spring is close.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:56 PM

Quality is all relevant...

An SKS in my eyes is a quality rifle, it is cheap to shoot, very reliable, low startup cost, accurate "enough".

A $1000 rifle that requires custom loads and constant tweaking to get you into the .75" club is not a quality firearm... It's just another gun.

A $4000 rifle that's capable of .5" groups with damn near anything you put down the pipe is a quality gun

A $10,000 rifle can be a quality rifle... But most often it never leaves the safe...

I like having a good mix of rifles so I can shoot the nice ones less and the cheap ones more... You will get more out of shooting a lot then a little and you can shoot little guns a lot for a little $$...
Old 03-01-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretman57 View Post
My RPAL should arrive in the next couple weeks what will be my first purchase in a rifle? I already have a gun safe. Probably the Remington 700 VTR in .308 and the Mark II Savage in .22 as I have a gopher spot to cull and spring is close.
Forget the vtr you will hate the muzzle break if you plan to use it for hunting but I think your on the right track, a .308 .22 and add a shotgun to the list and your set. I also agree on the quality before quantity my safes have been getting less full over the years selling off the cheapos and replacing them with higher end equipment.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Well said.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-02-2013, 07:31 AM

im kind of in the same boat here, but what was said to me by a couple people was the fact that if you buy a $1000 rifle, and match it with good glass, say $500-700 to start you end up with a package worth approx $1500. if you look at the fact that you can keep a quality firearm for at least one lifetime, so for me, lets say i can keep one for 60 years, if you break up the price over your lifetime $1500 becomes $25 a year.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:49 AM

You don't need to spend a fortune to get a quality rifle. Look at the Weatherby Vanguard S2. Very good, accurate rifle for $550. Through on a decent scope and your rockin!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:17 AM
Banned

My wife and I have an agreement. I can purchase anything around the $300 price without discussing it with her. Over that price, I need permission.

SO most of my guns are on the low end. They all shoot, and I have many different calibers and styles. I do have a few more expensive ones, but those took some sweet talking to purchase.

When I go to the range, I can take several different guns, in different calibers, and have a great day at all the different sections of the range. I will spend some time at the rim fire, then the big bore, spend some time shooting BP, go to the pistol range, and finish the day shooting clays.

I have several sub MOA rifles, and some that are just fun to shoot and only accurate enough to hit the gong. And I don't really care that none are a volquartsen.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:17 AM

And then there is the old expression. "When is the last time you regretted buying quality?"
Old 03-02-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
At the risk of being indecisive like my ex-wives I don't know what to do! Start with one nice rifle and add gradually add or get several adequate cheaper models to start? This is further complicated by the fact I want to target shoot, reload and hunt. Heres a list of firearms I like any suggestions where to start?
Ruger Mini 14?
Ruger Mini 30?

Want a great quality .22...the savage mk2 BTVSS...laminate thumbhole stock,stainless.accutrigger..etc...I bought mine on a whim. The stock is a tad short..BUT>>> this is my go to gopher gun now. I absolutely love it and for the price its a great investment.Plus it looks really sweet.

Mossberg 500 combo...I bought one of them with 3 barrels and chokes in camo..24 inch rifled slug barrel with cantilever mount,26 and 28 inch barrels with screw in chokes, 4 chokes included as well as a spare set of ilum sites...all 4 $430.00 shipping extra. Very utilitarian but when I pull the trigger the damn thing goes BANG every time...

Ruger mini 14 or 30....You like chasing brass? Every time you fire you have to dig in the friggen snow bank to find it. Buy a good quality .223 rifle like the vanguard s2 as mentioned above.Or even a rem sps model will work.

SKS....once again if you like chasing brass and love 3 inch groups and rudimentary sights...not much of a varmint rifle unless you like the spray and pray technique.Take the extra money from buying the SKS and invest it in a good quality bolt rifle and you will be $ ahead and way happier.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:43 AM

How about buy 3 off the bat: One nice (to you) rifle, and two on the cheaper end of the scale. Research the pricing and ensure you're getting a good value so that when you decide to sell the money spent will be recovered.
Once you play with them for a bit you will develop you own opinion as to what's 'good enough'..

Personally I prefer rifles that are in good shape first and foremost, of good value, pretty wood, and in fun calibers/gauges...
Old 03-02-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Ruger Mini 14?
Ruger Mini 30?

Check out the Weatherbys @ Bashaw Sports-specials. Good quality @ unbelievable prices. Get you started without breaking the bank.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:35 PM

I started with the low end budget option.
Now that times gone by, I've learned how to clean, take care of and do general matinence I am getting a quality slightly less budget rifle.
The fundamentals will keep this new gun a quality gun, because I have seen many expensive rifles that are now near worthless due to lack of care and knowledge.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:01 PM

For now go with one high quality 243 or 7mm-08 and target becomes hunting rifle.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:14 PM

.308 is a good all around Target/ hunting caliber, start with that and a good 12ga but definately buy quality, you get what you pay for, find what feels good to you. Each brand feels a little diffrent to hold and shoot.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I am leaning that way too I am just itching to go so I need to curb my impatience!
I can't argue with Geezer's logic, but was your first car a Cadillac? Nothing wrong with starting out with a less expensive rifle, something to tinker with and get to know what would be better as you go. We'ed all like to own a Sako, but ain't it nice to dream of having something a little better than what you've got? I'm always looking to add to my gun collection ( as small as it may be at the present).
Old 03-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Start with one nice rifle and add gradually add or get several adequate cheaper models to start?
I'd rather have several cheaper calibers to chose from than only one in a nice rifle. The cheaper Savages are every bit as accurate as a high priced rifle and just as much fun to shoot. A good quality .22lr isn't that expensive and I'd start there. Then I'd add a budget shotgun, .223 and a hunting rifle. I'd pay to get quality scopes for the two rifles that you can put on a more expensive rifle when you can afford to upgrade.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:20 PM

You don't have to break the bank to get a good gun look for a sale or buy a nice used one.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quality any day, the few rifles I have bought cheap ( a .22 and .223) I will probably eventualy replace with somthing I can take pride in owning.

If your planning on hunting just concentrate on getting the 3 important ones bought.

Start with a .22, its pretty much a free rifle IMO because the money you save using it to practice will pay for the rifle.

A hunting rifle, choose wisely and if you fall on hard times and it takes you a few years to add another it is of very little conciquence.

A shotgun, a good pump action 12 gauge will do anything you want untill you get another.

At this point forget about the gun collection untill you are well set up with good hunting gear. Very few situations are more stupid than a hunter who has thousands invested in rifles but doesnt own a good pair of boots and needs to borrow camping gear when he is invited allong on a trip.

Last edited by Cal; 03-02-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Words don't get any truer. Spend now, save later. A few years down the road when your expensive gun still works and all your cheap ones have fallen apart you'll kick yourself.

Also stay away from semi automatic "precision" the Mini 14 has a paper thin barrel that throws lead every which way. The Mini 30 has problems with ammo that isn't soviet surplus.

Buy a Ruger 10/22. I think everyone on this planet should own one of these in their life.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
At the risk of being indecisive like my ex-wives I don't know what to do! Start with one nice rifle and add gradually add or get several adequate cheaper models to start?
Ex-wives? Well you took the latter route in that department. Maybe go for quality right off the bat with the rifle.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:07 PM

I'm still trying to pare down my stuff to keep a minimum of rifles and shoguns.
It's ot working too well.
There will e only one semi in that bunch, an 1100 that was my father's trap gun.
I have no use for a semi auto rifle be it a rim fire or center fire, but I know the are popular.
Cat
Old 03-02-2013, 08:22 PM

I have always lost money on selling cheap guns just to get rid of them. I used those funds to get a few higher quality guns and have never lost money on those weapons. I don't want to sell them. Don't bother with cheap optics because you'll wish you saved for mid to high end glass. No matter how good of a deal the cheap stuff is, its not worth it.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
what a great quote! true about everything, period
Old 03-02-2013, 10:47 PM

Accuracy isn't everything.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-02-2013, 10:52 PM

You get what you pay for...I never buy cheap crap. The last rigfle I bought was a Weatherby Mark XXII .22LR.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:01 AM

Cheap guns are like cheap girlfriends,you always have to pay for upgrades!!