Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-12-2014, 12:25 PM

Default Suggestions on .270 win hunting rounds

Guys I have my hunting license and I have my .270 pretty dialed in. I am a first time hunter (or at least first time in 20 years ) and I was looking to buy a decent hunting round for deer.

Some conciderations:
- concidering buying a case of ammo (200-300 rounds) to get a discount and to have a consistant load. (ie all rounds loaded as part of the same batch from the factory with minimal variance in powder etc so my gun is as dialed in as it can be.
- Bullet weight recommendations. I know you can take deer with a 130 grain no problem but what if I ever wanted to go into elk/moose etc. Should I invest in a 150gr round. People shoot deer with 30-06 all the time so I can't see if being "bad" and that way I keep my gun dialed in for the same round no matter what I am shooting
- Is there a particular bullet type I should be using. Right now my hunting rounds consist of the cheapie win/rem SP boxes at ~$20 a box. I am going to be a once in a blue moon hunter who puts 5-20 rounds through the gun a year just to keep it dialed in. Are those entry level SP bullet types humaine for hunting or do they not expand or disipate the energy as well?

- Where the heck can I bulk order decent hunting rounds!!!

Other than just talking to some counter idiot at a bulk store (ok this was a little harsh and kind of in humor so please anyone who works at a big store don't take it personal. I just have had my share of really bad conversations with counter jockies) is there a place online or store that I can go to and ask for a crap ton o ammo they can order?

Thoughts and suggestions welcome folks.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:29 PM

I've found regardless of caliber pick the weight of bullet your gun shoots best and stick with that. Quality of bullet is key, a good bonded bullet like Winchester XP3's, Barnes TTSX's, etc will get the job done.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-12-2014, 12:32 PM

Test drive then buy.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-12-2014, 12:40 PM

Ive had good luck with 130 grain Hornady Customs in my .270. Ive taken elk with it as well. Try before you buy if you can!
Old 03-12-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Test drive then buy.
Bingo. And I'll ad, buy what they have left of the same lot number.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-12-2014, 02:18 PM

For WT I just use 130 gr Federals I purchased at Cabelas for 19.99 a box. Used to get 'em at CT but their price is now at 26.99
So far one shot is all I've ever needed, well, except once when I shot twice and missed the first time! Oh, and that time when I shot 3 times and hit a buck twice. He didn't go far, the first one would have done him in (heart shot but he kept going so I shot again, the third shot went over his back as he was going down ). In fact, no deer I've ever shot with those bullets has gone far, most have been 'bang-flops'.

I've also purchased 130 Rem copper solids for bigger, tougher critters like elk. At the range there is almost no difference in point of impact - with my rifle.

As others have said, check different ones out. My rifle doesn't like any 150 grain bullets, and for some reason it doesn't like the cheap 130 gr Remingtons either.

Note: the .270 was made for 130 grain bullets! http://www.chuckhawks.com/270family.htm
Old 03-12-2014, 02:32 PM

Thanks guys. Good inputs.

Mistagin it's nice to know you've had great success with the cheaper rounds. I have always been a firm believer it's more about shot placement than just about anything else. I've heard the story about the guy taking a moose with a .22 but again as a responsible hunter and not an anatomical expert on animals I want to shoot the most ethical but cost effective round.

Guys I think you all reminded me also that now that my gun is dialed in with the 140 grains I've been shooting I really should try a box of the 130s and 150s again just to see what the rifle seems to enjoy. It's a cheap savage axis but it does the job.

Anyone ever bought hunting rounds in bulk? Do you just go to Wholesale or Bass Pro and buy them out of whatever you are after with teh same lot #s?

Thanks again
Old 03-12-2014, 02:57 PM

Spartikus, have you ever thought about getting into reloading? You can get a basic setup for a few hundred dollars.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:41 PM

My Ruger .270 seems to prefer the 130grains. Any 150's I've tried haven't had nearly as good of grouping. The 20 dollar federal 130's have been my go to. The 60 dollar federal fusions also shot well be not sure it's worth the extra money. Shot placement is key and getting a bullet you can trust is better than an extra 20grains imo.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:43 PM

Nice thanks all.

Scott I did look at reloading but I have a growing family and very limited space so having yet more equipment to try and squeeze into the garage, plus safe storage of the powder and primers, plus all the horrible rookie reloading mistakes I would make, plus the cost of gear... I opted to drop $300 on a "lifetime" supply of same lot ammo and stack it in the safe. Definitely thought about it though. If I were a more dedicated hunter or intending to become one I can definitely see wanting to customize the loads.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:30 PM

I've taken 2 whitetail in the last 2 years with 130gr blue box (power shok).

Both 1 shot kills, both full pass-through, heart and lungs were absolute chowder in the chest cavity (kind of a shame, I like the heart)

For deer they are all you'd ever need. I really wouldn't hesitate to put one through a larger animal based on the performance I've seen. I would only take vital shots though, wouldn't try to put one through a shoulder on elk or moose.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:12 PM

While on the topic of .270, ive heard stories that the exit wound from a .270 can be fist size.... is this true?? bought my 270 after season so i havent poked a hole in anything with it yet. Would it be type of ammo that would cause this? Certain bullet weights? Types of bullets?

Maybe its an issue with most cartridges?
Old 03-12-2014, 07:01 PM

130gr federal fusions have shot very well out of my 270. Cheap and effective. Will be using them on my moose this year as well, should I be lucky enough to have the chance.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:10 PM

Default 270

I use Nosler partition at 150 and have taken deer moose and elk,,great knock down power....try different loads and the stick to what you are confidint in...A vital shot is a vital shot..
Old 03-12-2014, 10:31 PM

Another option is to get someone to reload for you. Lots of guys like reloading and wouldn't mind. You'd get a more accurate cartridge and could get more when you need them. I have some reloading equipment and the required dies for your .270
Old 03-12-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Spartikus, have you ever thought about getting into reloading? You can get a basic setup for a few hundred dollars.
Yeah I think this is a better route. Just get a good scale.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
130gr federal fusions have shot very well out of my 270. Cheap and effective. Will be using them on my moose this year as well, should I be lucky enough to have the chance.
x2, My favourite ammo and they're cheap. Every deer I've hit with these has dropped within 100 yards.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Yeah I think this is a better route. Just get a good scale.
The guy is a once in a blue moon hunter and for the most part shooter as well.. so he's going to spend 3-400+ on reloading equip, use it once, and doesn't have the room for it...?

(if you can) find a reloader that would be ok with reloading for you. if not i think wolverine sold loaded rem core-lokt in bulk, bulk ammo is out there..just have to search around
Old 03-13-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Heavyhitr View Post
The guy is a once in a blue moon hunter and for the most part shooter as well.. so he's going to spend 3-400+ on reloading equip, use it once, and doesn't have the room for it...?

(if you can) find a reloader that would be ok with reloading for you. if not i think wolverine sold loaded rem core-lokt in bulk, bulk ammo is out there..just have to search around
You're right, sorry for offering help. I'm an idiot. Good luck with your quest for finding 300 rounds of cheap but consistent ammunition. I'm sure that product is everywhere for the 270, probably a few cases beside the SKS stuff at WSS. If you do decide to reload I got a great 270 recipe I would be willing to share.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:17 PM

Missed the part that he's looking to buy in bulk. I don't think its really needed if all your going to do is hunting. You should be able to find factory ammo that will consistently shoot under 2 MOA at 100 yards and not need to buy it in bulk. If your set on buying a ton make sure you shoot a few different types of ammo to see what your gun likes before you invest $200-300. The shop I'd call if I was looking for a custom order would be Bashaw Sports. Really good customer service and can usually get things other guys can't. Well worth the drive down if you've never been.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Banned

Cool

I have good results with fed premium 140gr iirc 3075 muzzle, carries1200ftlb to 400 yrds good balance of flat & energy in workable ranges. Six in 8" circle at 100meters off a fence post . Plenty good for my needs and they won't break the bank .
Old 03-13-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartikus View Post
Guys I have my hunting license and I have my .270 pretty dialed in. I am a first time hunter in 20 years and I was looking to buy a decent hunting round for deer.
I'm considering buying a case of ammo, 200 to 300 rounds, to get a discount and to have a consistent load, and to have all rounds loaded from the same batch from the factory with minimal variance in powder so my gun is as dialed in as it can be.
Bullet weight recommendations, I know you can take deer with a 130 grain no problem, but what if I ever wanted to go into elk/moose etc. ,should I invest in a 150grain round.
Is there a particular bullet type I should be using, right now my hunting rounds consist of Winchester and Remington SP boxes at $20 a box.
I am going to be a once in a blue moon hunter who puts 5 to 20 rounds through the gun a year just to keep it dialed in.
Are those entry level SP bullet types humane for hunting or do they not expand or disipate the energy as well?
Where the heck can I bulk order decent hunting rounds, other than just talking to some counter salesperson at a bulk store.?
Is there a place online or store that I can go to and ask for a crate of ammo they can order?
Thoughts and suggestions welcome folks.

First off, I have killed many moose over the past 40 years with a 130 grain soft point Hornady bullet out of a 270 Winchester.
I would buy a couple different boxes of ammo and see what is the most accurate before buying a boat load of ammo that doesn't work worth crap.
Accuracy trumps velocity every time, and shoot more than 20 rounds a year.
Those are my thoughts and suggestions.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
I have good results with fed premium 140gr iirc 3075 muzzle, carries1200ftlb to 400 yrds good balance of flat & energy in workable ranges. Six in 8" circle at 100meters off a fence post . Plenty good for my needs and they won't break the bank .
Really!?!?

I'd be getting a new fence post!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:27 AM

Default 200 round case 130 gr 270 rem C-L

http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/det...ound-Case.aspx
Old 03-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
Really!?!?

I'd be getting a new fence post!
Lol im simply suggesting a casual rest. if I put my bean bag on the post im sure I can 1/2 or quarter that group. Its real world accurate , deer are way bigger than 8"pie plates .
Old 03-14-2014, 01:12 PM

Shoot the one that is accurate for you.

I've tried all the possible factory loads in both my daughter's and my 270s (one Browning, one Savage).

The best round for her is Federal Sierra GameKing BTSP in 150 grain, and mine is Federal Fusion in 130 grain. In the respective guns, inside 1.5" at 100 yard consistently from a rest. Switch the rounds, and groups increase up to 5-6" at 100 yards.

I won't pretend to be able to explain it, but it just is.

Vic
Old 03-14-2014, 01:15 PM

I've been using Hornady 130 gr interbond in my 270, very accurate and flatten deer.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
While on the topic of .270, ive heard stories that the exit wound from a .270 can be fist size.... is this true?? bought my 270 after season so i havent poked a hole in anything with it yet. Would it be type of ammo that would cause this? Certain bullet weights? Types of bullets?

Maybe its an issue with most cartridges?
It sure can depending on many factors....velocity, point of impact, bullet weight and construction

Here you see how "impressive" an ENTRY hole from a 240wby can be at 3350fps 100gr bullet .....deer went 2 ft.....straight down.

LC
Old 03-14-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
You must shoot large fish.

LC
Old 03-22-2014, 07:27 AM

love the 270 with 130 Nosler partitions for deer, doesn't get any better !