Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-21-2014, 04:53 PM

Default Genuine question - How much ammo is too much

Hey guys and gals,

Genuinely: how much ammo is realistic?

Also: please include a rough estimate of how much ammo you all carry. I think numbers can say more than words sometimes .

I currently have 6 firearms and I tend to sustain approximately:

250 - 400 rounds -- .17 HMR
1500 -- 2000 rounds --- .22LR
1400 rounds --- 7.62x39
200 rounds --- 7.62x54r
750 rounds --- .223 rem.
250 -- 300 rounds ----- 12 gauge

I have various types and sizes for each calibre. I reside on an acreage and shoot gophers and coyotes.

Is this a realistic amount of ammo or do I have too much?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 05:27 PM

How much do you shoot in a year and how fussy are about the ammo you shoot?

I figure a person should have about an 18 month supply if you are fussy, 12 months if you aren't.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:36 PM

How much is too much? Well as long as your able to put a roof over your head, food in your belly and your Mrs. Happy! Id say as much as you can! Hell I got ammo that I don't even have guns for!
Old 04-21-2014, 07:51 PM

Well as long as it ain't a serious danger in the case of a fire, Buy as much as you would like.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD7970GHZ View Post
Hey guys and gals,

Also: please include a rough estimate of how much ammo you all carry. I think numbers can say more than words sometimes .

1400 rounds --- 7.62x39
200 rounds --- 7.62x54r
750 rounds --- .223 rem.

I have various types and sizes for each calibre. I reside on an acreage and shoot gophers and coyotes.

Thanks
I see this question quite often, just curious why do you think there is an "acceptable" number, buy and stock as much as you like, I don't believe anyone should really care how much you have.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I see this question quite often, just curious why do you think there is an "acceptable" number, buy and stock as much as you like, I don't believe anyone should really care how much you have.

I agree. I could care less how many rolls of toilet paper you keep on hand. Doesn't affect my trips to the crapper.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:19 PM

Never have enough ammo.

I was buying .22 by the case when it was $15 a brick, boy sure glad I did!! Goes the same with my .223 when I was buying it at $0.14 a round again pretty glad I did!!
I see it as ammo will likely never deappericiate in value so you will aways have a chance to sell some if need be.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Hey guys and gals,

1400 rounds --- 7.62x39
200 rounds --- 7.62x54r
750 rounds --- .223 rem.

Thanks
If I ran my supplies of rimfire and shotshells that low, I would consider it a crisis.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If I ran my supplies of rimfire and shotshells that low, I would consider it a crisis.
Yep, kinda scared to say how much I have as some may think I am nutz!!
Old 04-21-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
How much is too much? Well as long as your able to put a roof over your head, food in your belly and your Mrs. Happy! Id say as much as you can! Hell I got ammo that I don't even have guns for!
x2!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:05 PM

thanks for the replies,

I am asking because some people, whether they are firearm owners or not: continue to bother me about my collection. Some say I have way too much, others say it is relatively small.

I would say that I've got a relatively average, if not; small collection compared to most firearm owners. What bothers me is the look I get from some people when they see or hear about my collection. Granted most do not own firearms and they do not understand the mechanisms behind owning one or more - it still bothers me to be perceived in a negative light when concerning ammunition. Especially when I in now way consider myself to be a, "stock-piler."

I suppose I need some form of validation for my idea of too much or too little ammunition.

It is good to hear what the general consensus is about ammunition stockpiles - despite being a rather rhetorical question: as I am also under the influence of, "there's never too much," mentality. I do like to have enough to last for a year or two - and by the way I shoot - I could shoot it all away anywhere from 1 year to 3 max.

I have a question for you guys.

If someone were to give you a raised eyebrow when they see or hear about your ammunition collection: how would you go about explaining it?

For example: The wife or girlfriend, (who doesn't particularly like firearms) getting worried about your relatively small collection - despite her continued efforts of describing it as a large collection.

I'm looking for some rationale that may allow people without a firearm to understand the need of a stockpile, the economic and situational preparedness, perhaps the need for different types of ammunition for different tasks, and goals. Something very simple that perhaps has helped any number of us in a similar pickle!

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by HD7970GHZ; 04-21-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I am asking because some people, whether they are firearm owners or not: continue to bother me about my collection. Some say I have way too much, others say it is relatively small. I would say that I've got a relatively average, if not; small collection compared to most firearm owners.

I suppose I need some form of validation for my idea of too much or too little ammunition.

It is good to hear what the general consensus is about ammunition stockpiles - despite being a rather rhetorical question: as I am also under the influence of, "there's never too much," mentality.

I do like to have enough to last for a year or two - and by the way I shoot - I could use it all in three years max.
I think you either need to find new people to hang with.
And or,
You need to shut your pie hole.
And or,
Grow a bit thicker skin.

It's nobodies bloody business how much ammo a person has!
If they acquire it legally, store it within the law, and are not a threat to themselves or others, who gives a rats behind!

There are no absolutes
Old 04-21-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I think you either need to find new people to hang with.
And or,
You need to shut your pie hole.
And or,
Grow a bit thicker skin.

It's nobodies bloody business how much ammo a person has!
If they acquire it legally, store it within the law, and are not a threat to themselves or others, who gives a rats behind!

^damn right. It's your own choice how much you have. Don't be influenced by that "SHTF" stuff. Our government ain't that messed up.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:31 PM

When people ask "How many rifles do you have or ammo?" I always say "NOT ENOUGH"! lol
Old 04-21-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
thanks for the replies,

I am asking because some people, whether they are firearm owners or not: continue to bother me about my collection. Some say I have way too much, others say it is relatively small.

I would say that I've got a relatively average, if not; small collection compared to most firearm owners. What bothers me is the look I get from some people when they see or hear about my collection. Granted most do not own firearms and they do not understand the mechanisms behind owning one or more - it still bothers me to be perceived in a negative light when concerning ammunition. Especially when I in now way consider myself to be a, "stock-piler."

It is good to hear what the general consensus is about ammunition stockpiles - despite being a rather rhetorical question: as I am also under the influence of, "there's never too much," mentality. I do like to have enough to last for a year or two - and by the way I shoot - I could shoot it all away anywhere from 1 year to 3 max.

I have a question for you guys.

If someone were to give you a raised eyebrow when they see or hear about your ammunition collection: how would you go about explaining it?

For example: The wife or girlfriend, (who doesn't particularly like firearms) getting worried about your relatively small collection - despite her continued efforts of describing it as a large collection.

I'm looking for some rationale that may allow people without a firearm to understand the need of a stockpile, the economic and situational preparedness, perhaps the need for different types of ammunition for different tasks, and goals. Something very simple that perhaps has helped any number of us in a similar pickle!

Let me know what you think.
What do I think? I think you need to bring up how many pairs of shoes and her collection of clothes! Perhaps things need to be placed in perspective!! your hobby, her hobby! Simple as that!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:59 PM

According to Natural Resources Canada you don't have too much ammo until you get over 225kg.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamen View Post
According to Natural Resources Canada you don't have too much ammo until you get over 225kg.
That's the explosive weight too, not case and bullet/shot.

That's a lot of powder and primer compound.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-21-2014, 10:21 PM

Default choices

Buy all that you can afford today because this time next year and 5 years from now we all know it isn't going to be less expensive., my theory anyway. FS
Old 04-21-2014, 10:33 PM

Its easy to knock off a few hundred rounds on any shooting excursion, ammo is like pasta, you never have just one noodle per sitting.

As for concerns of ammunition storage safety, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c
Old 04-21-2014, 11:29 PM

Didn't know there was such a thing as to much.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Didn't know there was such a thing as to much.
On the basement floor its less noticeable, but if stored on subsequent floors above you'll know that you have too much when the doors on the floor below you will either not close or not open. Mind you, that's not too much ammunition, its just too much in that specific location.....
Old 04-22-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Hey guys and gals,

1400 rounds --- 7.62x39
200 rounds --- 7.62x54r
750 rounds --- .223 rem.

Thanks
Depends whether you're bragging or complaining.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:38 AM

I try to have 1000 rounds of surplus fmj's in each caliber; 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, 7.62x51. As for hunting rounds for my .308, .243 and .303 etc I try to keep 200 rounds at all times. I have a rule that every time I walk into a Canadian tire or Wal mart or Cabelas I must buy one box of something whether its a box of centerfire or just a brick of .22. It sure helps you stock up without the bank account taking a beating!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:54 AM

These posts are awesome. Thanks guys and gals.

I am not bragging whatsoever about my ammo collection. I am genuinely concerned that I may have too much and that comes from not only my own worries but the raised eyebrows from other people; family and friends.

I blame it on them: not being firearm owners and not understanding what it means through and through.

Dick284:
I do need thicker skin - perhaps that would help matters more than change of thought. I think by doing that I won't need to shut my mouth though ahahaha!

Benamen:
What is this about a Natural Resources Canada: max weight in KG's? So you're saying until primers and powder reaches 225 KG's - I am okay as far as the law is concerned?

CaberTosser:
Wow thanks for the video post! I was surprised by how resilient ammo was in fires and being physically damaged. Amazing. I will definitely be sure to show firearm noobs that video if they fail to understand the concept of firearm safety.

Ruger1022:
Exactly how nuts are we talking in 12 gauge? lol

Dgitz:
HAHAHAHA! I guess that concept makes a point - never have enough toilet paper - especially if it's 2-ply junk!

Tweedsider:
Well said.

SKsniper:
That sounds like a good idea actually - buy one box every time I go to an ammunition store. I think I may start that.

Fordtruckin:
HAHA. I think you hit the nail on the head! I will definitely be using the shoe concept! I'll let you know how that goes!

Does ammunition price really change a lot? I keep hearing people say how much it's gone up over even the past decade or so.

I do realize the .22lr prices being jacked up a lot - assuming it's because of low-stock in USA.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2014, 08:26 AM

At what point does it go from a hobby to ending up on an episode of hoarders? lol

I don't keep a huge stash, but I try to buy a brick if 22 any time I see them or remember to look for em, got maybe 3000 or so now and a couple hundred 12 gauge shells.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger1022 View Post
Never have enough ammo.

I was buying .22 by the case when it was $15 a brick, boy sure glad I did!! Goes the same with my .223 when I was buying it at $0.14 a round again pretty glad I did!!
I see it as ammo will likely never deappericiate in value so you will aways have a chance to sell some if need be.
Never forget the young fellow at WSS loading that wheeler with 7 cases of american eagle at $135 a case, what do you want all of this for he asked?
Shortly after that my Paco Tool came in the mail. FS
Old 04-22-2014, 03:17 PM

HD from the Natural Resources website.
Part 14. Small Arms Cartridges, Propellant Powder and Percussion Caps
This Part authorizes the acquisition, storage and sale of small arms cartridges, propellant powder and percussion caps, and includes the requirements for the manufacturing of small arms cartridges and black powder cartouches for personal use. A reference to mass in this Part means the net quantity (mass of the explosives excluding the mass of any packaging, container, shell casing, or projectile).

Q. Were any changes made as a result of comments from Canada Gazette, Part I?
Yes. The changes made are:

small arms cartridges defined as up to 19.1 millimetres (.75 calibre) compared to previous 12.7 millimetre (.50 calibre) to harmonize with the United Nations Transport of Dangerous Goods definition;
the differentiation of small arms cartridges containing black powder is removed;
the quantity of black powder permitted in a detached dwelling is increased to 10 kilograms (consistent with the previous Regulations);
the wording on tracer and armour-piercing projectiles is removed;
notes added to clarify that the maximum quantity of small arms cartridges refers to 225 kilograms net quantity;
clarification that the maximum permitted unlicensed storage of powder in all detached storage units is 75 kilograms at a site, not including the quantity that may be stored in a dwelling; and
clarification that secure storage means that persons not authorized are not given unlimited access to small arms cartridges storage areas.
Q. What are the limits on the number of small arms cartridges anyone can purchase and store?
There is no change. The limit is based on the amount of 225 kilograms of explosives in the cartridges. Therefore, the number of cartridges would depend on the calibre, e.g., 2.8 million .22-calibre cartridges or 100 000 12-gauge shot shells. Amounts beyond this would require a magazine licence.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Does ammunition price really change a lot? I keep hearing people say how much it's gone up over even the past decade or so.

I do realize the .22lr prices being jacked up a lot - assuming it's because of low-stock in USA.

Thanks
Well hopefully this will put things in perspective for you. I bought my first rifle in 2004. It was a Ruger Mini 14 shooting .223 rem. Back then I could buy a box of FMJ ammo for about 3.50$. So 3.50$/20 rounds. Now for the cheapest price I can find FMJ ammo is 8.49$/20. So in 10 years its more than doubled. Also, at the time my GF had a 10/22. We could buy a brick of .22lr for around 8-9$/550 rounds. Now if you can find it your looking around 20-26$/550 rounds. Again more than doubled. 12 gauge 2 3/4" 8 bulk shot gun shells were around 14$/100, same ammo now in Walmart is about 29$/100.

I wouldn't say that the ammo prices fluctuate that much but it does steadily go up. I hope those examples provide you some insight.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:02 PM

2000 rounds per rifle/pistol, per caliber.

excluding 22LR 5000 rounds per rifle/pistol

ie 5 22LR rifles 25,000 rounds

that is what I strive for

V
Old 04-23-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecngsr View Post
2000 rounds per rifle/pistol, per caliber.

excluding 22LR 5000 rounds per rifle/pistol

ie 5 22LR rifles 25,000 rounds

that is what I strive for

V
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out your logic... I might have three .22LR, but I can only shoot one at a time. Why would I need 3x as much ammo?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.