Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-22-2020, 10:27 AM

Default Fishing with kids for the first time ever. It require so much extra time and energy hahaha

I took my niece and nephew out fishing for the first time ever. Got them some basic beginner spincast rods. Normally I can fish by myself for 12 hours straight on the water without even feeling tired. After fishing with kids for 5 hours, I feel beaten and defeated.I don't know how all you guys do it! Props to all you mom and pops. The tough part is constantly trying to remind and teaching them on how to respect the fish and our wildlife. One is 6 years old and the older one is 8 years btw.

The rods I purchased were Zebco Splash. They were Not the best combos but for the price I shouldn't be complaining. For 29.95 per combo it did its job perfectly fine for a first timer.

I will Have the youtube video uploaded at noon today.
Here are some photos of my amazing niece and nephew!

pic sharing

photo url

pic sharing

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-22-2020, 10:50 AM

best part of fishing, bar none! good job I dont see any gps coordinates in your post tho

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-22-2020, 10:59 AM

It’s a bit like herding cats , try 2 or 3 in a boat! I find when I take the grandkids
out, I have to forget about me fishing at all ,it has to be all about them or it just doesn’t work. I also find that when they are done with it then we do something else .
Old 06-22-2020, 11:32 AM

It’s the only way I fish , with my kids , be it 1,2 or all three , yes it’s work sometimes but that’s why I’m here. Dad did it for me so I’ll absolutely pass it on. It’s amazing the positions a kid can fall asleep in a boat ! My kids are teens now so not as bad ! Sometimes ! Shore fishing always added more adventure to the trip.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:01 PM

https://youtu.be/aSUmN43YKr4

This right here is our fishing video! Enjoy!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-22-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
best part of fishing, bar none! good job I dont see any gps coordinates in your post tho
haha no secrets at this place! Wabamun lake catch and release only :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
It’s a bit like herding cats , try 2 or 3 in a boat! I find when I take the grandkids
out, I have to forget about me fishing at all ,it has to be all about them or it just doesn’t work. I also find that when they are done with it then we do something else .
I had a ton of anxiety watching them trip, fall and slide all over the slippery surfaces. Or when they had a fish they would run for the rod or the net without thinking of the consequences. Such a handful. Ofcourse I am an experienced fisherman so I tried to catch a fish on my rod so I could pass the rod to them as much as possible to atleast give them a good experience. They didnt have enough focus to watch the bobber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
It’s the only way I fish , with my kids , be it 1,2 or all three , yes it’s work sometimes but that’s why I’m here. Dad did it for me so I’ll absolutely pass it on. It’s amazing the positions a kid can fall asleep in a boat ! My kids are teens now so not as bad ! Sometimes ! Shore fishing always added more adventure to the trip.
My dad also did the same thing for me. We are very lucky to have them pass on all the knowledge and being so patient when we were young.

Respect wildlife
Old 06-22-2020, 12:47 PM

When taking the kids out, I'm usually the guide--my rod doesn't even come out--better as they get older though--plus lots of fun. Nothing better than seeing a little one with a big pull on the line.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:06 PM

My first granddaughter out with us when we caught a small pike still makes me chuckle when I watch it. She’s nine now and has no problem handling the pike and throwing them back. She loves fishing and is pretty patient .

https://youtu.be/F5ArYH32VVA
Old 06-22-2020, 07:20 PM

I love getting out with my kids. I'll take them as much as they will come and sometimes even bribe them a little bit. I have so much more fun with them than fishing alone. Maybe I'm getting old or it's the Dad in my, but solo fishing just seems to be missing a something. Well worth the effort. Plus when you're fishing for meat they're nice to have along to make an ocean trip even more worthwhile.

Just spent last week out on the ocean with the family. Fished three days. First day was tough but got it dialed towards the end and the second and third day were pure insanity.

Keep kids fishing! It's an investment in a life long fishing buddy.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 06-22-2020, 08:36 PM

Taking kids fishing is a lot of work but so rewarding, good for u for taking them. Although I take all my grandkids fishing, my grandson Rhett (8) loves it the most. He sleeps over and we r up and gone by 5. He fishes hard all day and never wants to go home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2020, 08:43 PM

Its definitely rewarding. By the end of the fishing trip they didn't want to go home. Now they are waiting for the next fishing trip.

Respect wildlife
Old 06-22-2020, 09:56 PM

That is what it's all about. I have 4 kids from 3-9, my fishing has changed alot in the last few years. I dont get my rod in the water as much as I would like, but it's worth it.
Good on you!
Old 06-23-2020, 02:04 PM

Its an investment, you might rather be fishing by yourself, but you put the effort in anyways. Within a few years it pays off, because the guys who just fish with their buddies end up fishing less as their kids grow up, and the guys who fish with their families end up fishing more.

At this point my daughters are 10 and 8, and when there are other kids along they are often the ones doing the teaching. Posted this pic elsewhere but I'll do it again: I came off nightshift and promised to take my nephews out in the boat after I had a couple hours of sleep, when I woke up my wife said the kids had walked down to the lake, by the time I got there the girls had taught their cousins how to cast and there were a couple pike lying in the grass, including this little guy's first fish... talk about a proud dad moment.

DSCF1488 by , on Flickr
Old 06-23-2020, 02:09 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

now you gotta start a family .....I always said don't try fishing when teaching the wee ones...ya gotta keep your wits about ya....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-23-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
now you gotta start a family .....I always said don't try fishing when teaching the wee ones...ya gotta keep your wits about ya....
My personal philosophy is to dumb things down as much as possible... if you have 1000 lures in the tacklebox the kids will spend more time switching hooks than fishing. I cleaned out my tackle box till I only had about 3-4 proven lures in it, that helped quite a bit.

Funny thing, I think they taught me as much as I taught them... these days when I head our fishing, most of the time I only have about 3-4 proven lures on me... helps this big kid keep his line in the water instead of switching hooks all day LOL.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
My personal philosophy is to dumb things down as much as possible... if you have 1000 lures in the tacklebox the kids will spend more time switching hooks than fishing. I cleaned out my tackle box till I only had about 3-4 proven lures in it, that helped quite a bit.

Funny thing, I think they taught me as much as I taught them... these days when I head our fishing, most of the time I only have about 3-4 proven lures on me... helps this big kid keep his line in the water instead of switching hooks all day LOL.
Sometimes I feel guilty for doing this myself. spending more time tying lures then fishing.

Respect wildlife
Old 06-23-2020, 07:24 PM

Taking kids fishing, especially getting a chance to watch them catch their first fish, is definitely the best part of fishing. It’s hard work, but there’s nothing more rewarding.

I’ve found that their learning curve is really steep, the first couple times are a gong show, but with some teaching, and kids that are interested and keen to learn lol, by the third or fourth time out they’ve got the hang of it and it’s WAY easier to take them out from then on.

My kids are 11 and 13, I’ve been taking them since they we’re toddlers. At this point, fishing with them is pretty effortless, they actually guide me around half the time! They only need me to launch the boat, drive when we’re running the big motor, and take the really big ones off, the rest they do on their own lol.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:49 PM

I do a 5 day boys trip every year. That’s when I get to fish. Every other time I go out, I’m mostly just a guide to my 7 and 10 year old. No complaints. I will say they’re now getting to the point where I get to at least get in a few casts although when I do hook a fish more often than not there’s puppy dog eyes staring up at me asking if they can reel it in.

Somehow my daughter broke one of my st croix rods on the weekend trying to take it out of the case for me. She was trying to be helpful. Maybe I need cheaper gear for myself when I fish with them lol.

In the end, I see it as an investment. Some of my best memories have been fishing with my dad as a teenager and then as an adult when I could. I’m grooming future fishing buddies.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:34 PM

Brought the daughter and wife out for the first boat trip of the year. Managed to land around 20 pike and lost a bunch in 2hrs before the storm came in. Action was good enough taking pics was not an option for the most part

All 20-30inch range except for one nicer one lost at the boat. Nothing huge but some fun with the family

Oh and of course I have to reline two rods after kid related mayhem lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Smoky buck; 06-27-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:14 PM

Over the last couple summers, my family goes out with some of my daughters gymnastics families. All the girls wanted to go fishing and none of them other than my daughter had fished before. And some of them was their first time on a boat. 5 girls caught their first fish and I couldn’t have been more happier
Old 06-27-2020, 08:38 PM

Looks pretty hectic but good on ya and others who have posted getting the little ones out.

Quick note on the rods, you'd be surprised how fast a kid can pick up using a regular spinning rod, never went the spincast route and it worked out fine. I like braid on the kids rods as it's zero memory and line memory is where a lot of tangles come from.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Looks pretty hectic but good on ya and others who have posted getting the little ones out.

Quick note on the rods, you'd be surprised how fast a kid can pick up using a regular spinning rod, never went the spincast route and it worked out fine. I like braid on the kids rods as it's zero memory and line memory is where a lot of tangles come from.
100% on the spinning combo as a first for kids. Both my kids and any other I have had say in what was bought for a first combo starts with a spinning combo. I found it no harder to teach a kid with an open face spinning reel vs a push button reel

Personally I like to start them with mono because I find it easier to untangle but agree memory is an issue with a lot of mono