Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-27-2020, 09:33 AM

Default child fishing limits!

Does a child fishing with a adult who has a licence catch limit count against the adults or do they have their own?
Old 06-27-2020, 10:03 AM
Banned

IF the child is capable of casting and reeling in their own fish they don’t need a license under the age of 16 and they can retain the same catch limits as if they had a license. If you’re trying to convince the fish and game officer that your three year old daughter just reeled in that 6lb pike you’ll most likely end up with fines.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:02 PM

need to stir the pot again just cause Im a dick I think kids instead of having an adult limit should maybe have a single fish limit, they get to show mom and their friends and a couple more fish get caught by someone else. Just my opinion again feel free to shout me down no reason a kid cant reel in 100 fish a day I think that would be awesome.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-27-2020, 12:09 PM

Big failing of our system

Annual Sportfishing Licence (under 16 years)
Alberta Residents1 - No Licence Required
Non-resident Canadians2 - No Licence Required
Non-Residents outside of Canada - No Licence Required

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fis...licensing.html

Kids can harvest fish without money going back into the system.

Unfortunately I have seen people take advantage of this. I once saw a stocked lake with kids in strollers unable to reel due to being as young as 1 but the parents taking their limit home.

Kids should get a free license if fishing with an adult with a license. Any fish caught by said child should be added onto the adults license.

We have a finite population of fish in Alberta.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-27-2020, 12:20 PM

I understand both sides. I'm not opposed to either. Allowing the child to take his fair share is fine. But taking advantage of the system when he cant hold the rod should be a no no. Unfortunately every officer is 50 kilometres away when you need him

Making children buy a licence would be tough. Since parents dont even know if the kids would like it. They should charge more for the adult to purchase a licence which allows them to take 1 child companion or couple bucks for 2 child companion. Basic licence wont allow any child companion ect.

This would make everything confusing for new fisherman haha

Ofcourse this will never come true but If I was enforcing the law and writing the book maybe I would implement something like this in order to make it fair for all outdoorsmen.

Vote for me!

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-27-2020, 12:41 PM

Would like to see all need a fishing licence!

That would include kids under 16 as well as kids 65 and over!

PS- I am 65.

Under 30 dollars for a years entertainment, nothing cheaper than that.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post

PS- I am 65.

If a kid or a senior fish it's free. If they want to take a fish home, get a licence.

I get why they want to give seniors a free licence, but for me, 30 bucks is not going to kill a senior.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-27-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
If a kid or a senior fish it's free. If they want to take a fish home, get a licence.

I get why they want to give seniors a free licence, but for me, 30 bucks is not going to kill a senior.
ok this idea sounds simple and makes total sense

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-27-2020, 12:53 PM

Leave it alone fer cryin' out loud. My best fishing experiences come from my childhood when I didn't need no stinkin' license. I didn't have any money either. A kid needs to be able to go out with the pole and catch some fish..........NO parents involved. No parents, no license, just being a kid that doesn't have to produce a piece of paper.........

Last edited by CNP; 06-27-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Leave it alone fer cryin" out loud. My best fishing experiences come from my childhood when I didn't need no stinkin' license. I didn't have any money either. A kid needs to be able to go out with the pole and catch some fish..........NO parents involved. No parents, no license, just being a kid that doesn't have to produce a piece of paper.........
Mine as well, but this system gets abused every day in Alberta. so many taking a kid or kids JUST to swell their keep. Taking them for the experience most definitely. No reason to keep a limit every time someone goes out, if they are they arent in it for fun and sport. just my opinion.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-27-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Leave it alone fer cryin' out loud. My best fishing experiences come from my childhood when I didn't need no stinkin' license. I didn't have any money either. A kid needs to be able to go out with the pole and catch some fish..........NO parents involved. No parents, no license, just being a kid that doesn't have to produce a piece of paper.........
Couldn’t agree more!
Old 06-27-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I agree with this, but what do you do with the family of seven where every fish they catch is kept and counted against the kids to small to even care, limit.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-27-2020, 01:44 PM

My best experiences fishing were in the Crowsnest Pass too. Riding my bike to the river and catching a few trout for the family dinner. All you needed was a rod. Those days are gone and it will get worse before it gets better due to some people abusing the law.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:59 PM

Parks Canada license (Jasper, Banff) stipulates that whatever kids retain for fish count towards the licensed fisherman’s limit.

I have no prob with kids fishing for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2020, 02:21 PM

Pretty sure the game warden would have a certain way of questioning a child as to who caught the fish...or would have seen if the kid was fishing or just playing Gameboy in the truck. They got binoculars and spotting scopes and drones and stuff too. Everyone should have a license whether it's 5 bux or 50 bux. Contribute for the future anglers.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:24 PM

License no license.$30 or $500 kids limit or adult limit. It probably wont make a difference. More fish are illegally kept than legal in my opinion.

As for the money our Fish and game department has been raped and plundered regardless of cost to the outdoors men for the last 40 years.The more we put in wont make a big difference to the amount they do.

I think free fishing for kids along with seniors is fine,along with the limits
Old 06-27-2020, 02:50 PM

[QUOTE=Sundancefisher;4193682]Big failing of our system

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fis...licensing.html

Unfortunately I have seen people take advantage of this. I once saw a stocked lake with kids in strollers unable to reel due to being as young as 1 but the parents taking their limit home.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:51 PM

[QUOTE=trigger7mm;4193777]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Big failing of our system

[url]http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/licensing.html[/

That’s just greed in its finest form. They should be ashamed of themselves and fined.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I understand both sides. I'm not opposed to either. Allowing the child to take his fair share is fine. But taking advantage of the system when he cant hold the rod should be a no no. Unfortunately every officer is 50 kilometres away when you need him

Making children buy a licence would be tough. Since parents dont even know if the kids would like it. They should charge more for the adult to purchase a licence which allows them to take 1 child companion or couple bucks for 2 child companion. Basic licence wont allow any child companion ect.

This would make everything confusing for new fisherman haha

Ofcourse this will never come true but If I was enforcing the law and writing the book maybe I would implement something like this in order to make it fair for all outdoorsmen.

Vote for me!
I think years back it didn’t matter. F&W bosses believed in spend $50 on gas...bring home $50 in fish.

As tax payers we all put money into the government for services. As anglers a portion of our fees go into the resource.

Kids pay neither yet remove resource. A limited resource that is currently unsustainable with current limits, fishing pressure and poaching.

I would be happy with lower limits...slightly higher fees, more enforcement, cell towers or repeaters that cover high poaching areas.

Kids don’t always like biking...yet parents buy bikes. A fishing rod is an investment. Money spent by parents buying kids licenses will help ensure fishing is better when they are adults.

IMHO
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-27-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Pretty sure the game warden would have a certain way of questioning a child as to who caught the fish...or would have seen if the kid was fishing or just playing Gameboy in the truck. They got binoculars and spotting scopes and drones and stuff too. Everyone should have a license whether it's 5 bux or 50 bux. Contribute for the future anglers.
If a two year olds bait rod trips on the North Saskatchewan at Hermitage Park...dad puts kid on his lap and then reels the fish in...whose fish is it legally?

In the regulations...who says as the parent I can’t deem that fish the two year olds?

Catch Limits

In this Guide the word “limit” refers to the number of fish you are allowed to keep or have in your possession. As outlined below, you may not exceed the limit at any water body fished, nor possess more fish than the provincewide maximum.

Releasing Live Fish - If the fish you catch is of a legal species and legal size, immediately decide to keep it as part of your daily possession limit or release it. Fish kept on a stringer or a live well are considered retained and are part of your limit. (See releasing live or prohibited fish.)

Possession - A fish is considered retained (kept) when it is not immediately returned to the waters from which it was taken.

Daily Possession - The number of fish you are allowed to keep while fishing in one day is equal to the limit listed for each species or group of species at the lake or stream being fished, including any fish eaten or given away that day. When you are fishing at any lake or stream, you may not have in your possession more fish than the limit, or fish other than those of legal size, listed for the lake or stream being fished.

Province-wide maximum possession – All fish kept from any lake or stream, from any Watershed Unit, count as part of the provincewide maximum possession that must not be exceeded. Example – if fishing a waterbody with a limit of one walleye over 50 cm, if you keep (retain) a fish on a stringer or in a live well, you cannot release a retained fish and keep a larger one.

The maximum number of fish you may have, including fish at your home and fish caught under a special harvest licence, for each game fish species or group of species is listed below:

Trout – 5 in total, combined of:
0 bull trout (native to Alberta);
2 Northern Dolly Varden (stocked in Chester Lake only);
1 golden trout;
3 lake trout;
5 cutthroat trout;
5 rainbow trout;
5 brown trout;
5 brook trout;
5 tiger trout.

Arctic Grayling – 0
Mountain Whitefish – 5 in total.
Walleye and Sauger – 3 in combined total.
Northern Pike – 3 in total.
Yellow Perch – 15 in total.
Lake Whitefish and Cisco (Tullibee) – 10 in combined total.
Goldeye and Mooneye – 10 in combined total.
Burbot (Ling) – 10 in total.
Lake Sturgeon – 0
Non-game fish – no restriction on the numbers kept.
NOTE: The limits and size restrictions that exist at specific lakes and streams are listed in the Watershed Unit sections of each Fish Management Zone.

Now you argue it’s wrong. I am ticketed and fight it. On court day I say to the judge with my kid with me. “Your Honour. I was teaching my child to fish and having a great father/son moment when big meanie fish cop attacked my right to fish with my son.”

Yup...big loop hole.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Exactly some of my best early child hood memories are of fishing on the Red River cross the street from my house, catch everything that swims in Manitoba almost.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
When you were a kid it was a different time. Pretty rare now to see a young kid out by himself out fishing, although in rural areas it probably still happens.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-27-2020, 07:00 PM

I don’t want to see kids loose out over idiot adults who abuse the system. The ability for kids to fish without a license has created opportunities to introduce kids to fishing at random moments many times. The ability to pull a fishing rod out of my truck and introduce friends/in-laws city kids to fishing at random has turned a few kids into die hard fishermen. I have offered many random kids to reel in a fish I hooked when shore

Leave the kids alone but if you see an adult abusing the fact a kid has a limit drop kick the idiot instead
Old 06-27-2020, 09:58 PM

I must admit I grew up fishing on my own when I was probably 8 years old to 16 without a license. Younger from the docks. My brother and I would take the 9.9hp johnson 12 foot aluminum boat out and go fishing alone all the time. If we caught a legal fish we would bring something home to eat. We didnt fill the buckets cause we knew we would most likely have to clean the fish. Most were released. Now I take my kids fishing and we often do keep fish when ice fishing and on the ocean. On the salt water I have licenses for the 8 and 6 year old with a purchased salmon stamp. The 2 year old I dont buy a license for since she's not actually catching fish. The kids do bring in their own fish so I feel kids are as much legal residents of the country entitled to a limit, but the kids should be fishing and not sitting in the truck on their game boy. This last trip my 8 year old got more legal chinook than me.

So at the moment unlicensed retirees in my opinion from what I've seen take the most bucket fulls and not the kids since their parents work all week and they're in school most of the year. You give a child the opportunity when they are young and theyre more likely to be licensed anglers from 16 to 65. Its an investment.

I do agree like out of province kids shouldn't be allowed a limit but keep under a licensed adults. This is how it is for say Alberta kids if they come to BC. They are not allowed a limit.

I agree with reduced fee retention license for under 16 and over 65. Seems like a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 06-27-2020, 10:33 PM

If a kid thinks they need to keep a fish to add to the experience. Who is instilling that in them?
Old 06-27-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post

PS- I am 65.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post

And this is why you two old timers are two of my favorite characters on here - because you guys have something so uncommon.

Common Sense.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
This last trip my 8 year old got more legal chinook than me.
You never teach your apprentices everything you know Brandon - have you not learned anything from Obi Wan Kenobi and Anikin Skywalker .....?

Next year that 8 year old will be de-throning you for good !!!!!!
Old 06-27-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
If a kid thinks they need to keep a fish to add to the experience. Who is instilling that in them?
Depends what your ideologies are. I am not a member of PETA and I think that since the begining of time fishing has been for the harvesting of fish for consumption. If you talk to a First Nations here on the coast they'll tell you catch and release is playing with your food and looked down upon. Fishing in my view is not solely for sport at the expense of the fish. I think ignoring harvest as part of fishing will lead to the outlaw of sportfishing in short order with all the antis these days.

Since my ideology of fishing is one of natural resource use through harvesting, I most certainly am going to pass that on to my kids. I also teach them about releasing fish carefully that we aren't going to eat.

Taking a fish or some fish back home, filleting them and playing with the entrails, eyes, hearts and assessing the anatomy is very enjoyable and educational for the kids. Preparing that fish and eating it for dinner does in my opinion take the experience to a whole new level.

Somehow I feel you are condemning parents who teach their kids how to provide a meal for themselves. In my opinion teaching my kids to Garden, harvest fish and forage is giving them life skills that they can use to out live 99% of the population these days.

To each his own. Last week we were out on the ocean. Every day after fishing the kids were excited and involved in preparing a fish for dinner.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 06-27-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
You never teach your apprentices everything you know Brandon - have you not learned anything from Obi Wan Kenobi and Anikin Skywalker .....?

Next year that 8 year old will be de-throning you for good !!!!!!
Hahaha... I think it's already happening. She's beating me to rods and popping them off the clip and fighting them on the knuckle busters like a pro. Proud dad I will be to be dethroned.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Honestly I find it doesn’t always mean someone taught them to want to keep fish. Some kids just want to eat a fish because they enjoy it. Really what is wrong with a kid wanting to keep and eat their catch?

Now what they need to be taught is respect for the fish, don’t be greedy, and just because you can keep it doesn’t mean you need to. But there is nothing wrong with a kid wanting to keep a legal fish

Take my daughter for example she knows I rarely keep a fish unless it’s legal and I think it’s not going to survive or eye hooked. My daughter majority of the time throws everything back but at times she wants to eat one for dinner or have smoked fish. She likes to go fishing even if it’s C&R and that is what we do most of the time

I don’t support gluttony and the kill everything you legally can but there is nothing wrong with a fish for dinner here and there.