Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 12:06 PM

Default Contributor to Forum?!

Ok let's clear the air here, my username was Ricky7 before, I have been on here for alot of years! I used to do alot of commenting and posting pictures when I was younger. Il be honest the forum isn't that cell phone friendly and I'm usually out fishing or out and about so I don't comment much. As the years went by I remained passionate about fishing and a couple years ago I decided to start bringing my adventures, information and advice I had for people to video. Despite what some think I have not made a dime off YouTube nor is that why I do it, I do it to share the adventures and help people. My contributions have evolved from frequent commenting on other posts to putting all my information I have and adventures onto video for others to watch. I realize it's the internet and there will always be whiners and haters and that doesn't bother me lol but maybe I can contribute a bit more without being a frequent commenter because I'm doing too much fishing and editing for that. Maybe I could do a Q&A post on fishing advice every few weeks? I know you all know how to slay and I don't think I'm a better fisherman then anyone but I do have some advice to share about fishing for anyone that needs it. Anyways just a thought il still post my videos that I spend hours and hours filming and editing for the people that enjoy, and those that have a sour taste in their mouth for some reason maybe realize we are on the same team and I am just trying to bring relevant fishing content to Alberta which is greatly lacking. Tight lines!
Old 06-28-2020, 12:07 PM

I enjoy your vids, really liked that paddle boat in the last video.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
I enjoy your vids, really liked that paddle boat in the last video.
Appreciate it! I understand some people will always have a negative view and I can't change that, but I do like to help people!
Old 06-28-2020, 12:21 PM

I’d rather a video of a trip as opposed to a write up.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I’d rather a video of a trip as opposed to a write up.
Thanks! The pictures and write ups take about 10mins, sometimes I edit a video for 6hrs before I upload it lol
Old 06-28-2020, 01:46 PM

Keep at it, love the video's especially during ice fishing season! Great work and am jealous how much time you get on the water lol
Old 06-28-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjolg123 View Post
Keep at it, love the video's especially during ice fishing season! Great work and am jealous how much time you get on the water lol
Thanks for the words of encouragement! Il keep at it!
Old 06-28-2020, 02:18 PM

Hey your videos are very good to watch and I enjoy them along with Huy fishing. I always check them out. It’s always good to watch other tactics people use that might help next time you go on a trip. I’ve been fishing for about 50 years now and I’m constantly learning. Still learning about hatches, bugs patterns etc for fly fishing. That skill is something I am not good at yet but videos and talking forums you pick up on a few pointers. Keep them vids coming and if someone has a problem with them tell them to go pound rocks.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:33 PM

I know first hand the amount of time and effort that goes into making and posting videos.
I tried to do the YouTube .thing a couple years ago and it is a tough gig .unless your subs number in the 50,000 plus range their is no money in it ,plus YouTube is not exactly hunting fishing shooting sports friendly.
The editing and camera equipment was enough to turn me off of it. A 20 min clip can take hrs of jacking around. Kudos to you for putting in the effort.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
Hey your videos are very good to watch and I enjoy them along with Huy fishing. I always check them out. It’s always good to watch other tactics people use that might help next time you go on a trip. I’ve been fishing for about 50 years now and I’m constantly learning. Still learning about hatches, bugs patterns etc for fly fishing. That skill is something I am not good at yet but videos and talking forums you pick up on a few pointers. Keep them vids coming and if someone has a problem with them tell them to go pound rocks.
Thanks for the kind words! That's what I love about fishing is you never stop learning new things. Solid advice, thanks!
Old 06-28-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I know first hand the amount of time and effort that goes into making and posting videos.
I tried to do the YouTube .thing a couple years ago and it is a tough gig .unless your subs number in the 50,000 plus range their is no money in it ,plus YouTube is not exactly hunting fishing shooting sports friendly.
The editing and camera equipment was enough to turn me off of it. A 20 min clip can take hrs of jacking around. Kudos to you for putting in the effort.
Thanks man!👊
Old 06-28-2020, 03:43 PM

Keep up the good work! I too enjoy your videos. They are informative, creative, entertaining, and MAN YOU CATCH SOME TANKS!!!
Giver 🤘🏻
Old 06-28-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzy View Post
Keep up the good work! I too enjoy your videos. They are informative, creative, entertaining, and MAN YOU CATCH SOME TANKS!!!
Giver 🤘🏻
Thanks a bunch! Il keep on keeping on!
Old 06-28-2020, 04:03 PM

I enjoy your videos.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:28 PM

The fishing doctor did make a good point that some are visual learners.

5 years ago I tried top water pike for a week and I couldn't catch any LMAO

last week I watched Rikkles fishers episode on catching top water pike. Within his first 30 minutes he caught around 6 pike and multiple missed hooksets. Because of this video I am actually determined to try again. So I do actually enjoy seeing how people target fish using different lures and techniques.

The video provides me with hard evidence that certain techniques are possible when my mind was telling me its not. After the video I realized I was doing something wrong.

Today I bought NED rig jig heads and baits from the fishing hole for. This is a bait primarly used for Bass fishing but people are starting to use the method for walleyes. I learned this on another youtube video from seeing someone catch walleyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCham3JzJMs

This is the bait. Yes i know i can catch fish with just a jig and a minnow.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-28-2020, 04:30 PM

I enjoy your videos - there's a lot of enthusiasm and love for fishing that shows through. Probably some misconceptions about YouTube contribute to these misunderstandings. I know from my kid that YT has demonetized so much that you need a very large subscriber base (10,000 <) to even get any $ and an a solely huge base to make it profitable. Like this is crazy:

https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/eve...rs%20or%20more

Making less than $17,000 per year notwithstanding bringing in 1.4 million views per month! As my son told me, only PewDewPie (Swedish YT guy with most subs) and YouTube are making money off it.

If I had one suggestion it would be for a little more help/instruction. It's probably stuff that you don't even think about but I would be interested in your thought process. Why are you fishing there? Why did you pick that lure or fly? What sort of presentation are you making? Where do you expect the fish to be? Etc. I'm not asking that you post GPS for the location and give every last specific detail but maybe along the lines of:

"hey this is an Alberta stream in Zone PP1, the water is high as it's early June, we've had some rain and I'm going to fish spinners deep against this bank where I expect fish will be holding and maybe later do some nymphing with a point + dropper fly and some split-shot to get it deep."

For someone new to fly-fishing that information is useful without giving away the whole game. For myself, I haven't done much spin-fishing since I was a kid (whereas I've done quite a bit of fly-fishing) so I'm trying to figure out what line (braided vs mono vs fluoro), how to rig my terminal tackle (slip-bobber vs slip-weight vs pickerel rig vs Lindy rig) and how to go about selecting the most likely to succeed lure (crankbait vs spoon vs jig vs top-water spinners). Probably most of that is second nature to you but for others, like myself, these are things we're trying to learn.

Anyways, great videos, interesting stuff, love your enthusiasm and please teach me a little bit more about spin-fishing approaches and techniques.

#tightlines
Old 06-28-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamilton View Post
I enjoy your videos.
Thanks!
Old 06-28-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
The fishing doctor did make a good point that some are visual learners.

5 years ago I tried top water pike for a week and I couldn't catch any LMAO

last week I watched Rikkles fishers episode on catching top water pike. Within his first 30 minutes he caught around 6 pike and multiple missed hooksets. Because of this video I am actually determined to try again. So I do actually enjoy seeing how people target fish using different lures and techniques.

The video provides me with hard evidence that certain techniques are possible when my mind was telling me its not. After the video I realized I was doing something wrong.

Today I bought NED rig jig heads and baits from the fishing hole for. This is a bait primarly used for Bass fishing but people are starting to use the method for walleyes. I learned this on another youtube video from seeing someone catch walleyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCham3JzJMs

This is the bait. Yes i know i can catch fish with just a jig and a minnow.
Thanks man! Good luck on those topwater pike! Make sure to use some heavier fluorocarbon so they don't steal your frog, they are pricey!
Old 06-28-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dielbo View Post
I enjoy your videos - there's a lot of enthusiasm and love for fishing that shows through. Probably some misconceptions about YouTube contribute to these misunderstandings. I know from my kid that YT has demonetized so much that you need a very large subscriber base (10,000 <) to even get any $ and an a solely huge base to make it profitable. Like this is crazy:

https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/eve...rs%20or%20more

Making less than $17,000 per year notwithstanding bringing in 1.4 million views per month! As my son told me, only PewDewPie (Swedish YT guy with most subs) and YouTube are making money off it.

If I had one suggestion it would be for a little more help/instruction. It's probably stuff that you don't even think about but I would be interested in your thought process. Why are you fishing there? Why did you pick that lure or fly? What sort of presentation are you making? Where do you expect the fish to be? Etc. I'm not asking that you post GPS for the location and give every last specific detail but maybe along the lines of:

"hey this is an Alberta stream in Zone PP1, the water is high as it's early June, we've had some rain and I'm going to fish spinners deep against this bank where I expect fish will be holding and maybe later do some nymphing with a point + dropper fly and some split-shot to get it deep."

For someone new to fly-fishing that information is useful without giving away the whole game. For myself, I haven't done much spin-fishing since I was a kid (whereas I've done quite a bit of fly-fishing) so I'm trying to figure out what line (braided vs mono vs fluoro), how to rig my terminal tackle (slip-bobber vs slip-weight vs pickerel rig vs Lindy rig) and how to go about selecting the most likely to succeed lure (crankbait vs spoon vs jig vs top-water spinners). Probably most of that is second nature to you but for others, like myself, these are things we're trying to learn.

Anyways, great videos, interesting stuff, love your enthusiasm and please teach me a little bit more about spin-fishing approaches and techniques.

#tightlines
I appreciate the advice and il try an incorporate some of that into the videos a bit more obviously, I do show it but don't always talk about it and definitely don't mention why I make the lure choices I do enough, it's usually just a gut feeling and I get lucky sometimes like a blind squirrel finding a nut!
Old 06-28-2020, 04:53 PM

Default Your stealing thier stage.

Obviously WayneChristie thinks your making a significant amount of money from YouTube but did not research what it takes to do so. You must be stealing his limelight and he doesn’t like it. You are not in the (in club) because you only have 1100 posts and not 11000. Now I’ve been on here for a few years now and I’ve watched your videos and lots of Brandon’s videos but I can’t recollect watching one of WayneCristie’s. I will have to look some up and see if they are any good.
As far as I’m concerned I don’t really care what people post on here and if I find a video that interests me I’ll watch it and if not I won’t.
The other factor is some of these guys might think you are going to give up thier secret spots in your videos and they are becoming hostile towards you.
As for some of the titles to your videos they can be a little over the top but I don’t care because I can think for myself.

Keep up the good work on your videos because when I can’t get out hunting or fishing for myself I enjoy watching someone else.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Obviously WayneChristie thinks your making a significant amount of money from YouTube but did not research what it takes to do so. You must be stealing his limelight and he doesn’t like it. You are not in the (in club) because you only have 1100 posts and not 11000. Now I’ve been on here for a few years now and I’ve watched your videos and lots of Brandon’s videos but I can’t recollect watching one of WayneCristie’s. I will have to look some up and see if they are any good.
As far as I’m concerned I don’t really care what people post on here and if I find a video that interests me I’ll watch it and if not I won’t.
The other factor is some of these guys might think you are going to give up thier secret spots in your videos and they are becoming hostile towards you.
As for some of the titles to your videos they can be a little over the top but I don’t care because I can think for myself.

Keep up the good work on your videos because when I can’t get out hunting or fishing for myself I enjoy watching someone else.
I Would say its probably just over the top Titles. The most annoying guys on youtube have over the top thumbnail photos with mouths wide open. holding a fish that has been blacked out so you cant see what it is. Title would say something like "I FISHED THIS CREEK FOR TROUT AND I CAUGHT THIS UNEXPECTED SURPRISE CATCH" You watch this whole video and out comes a sucker fish.

These youtubers are typically very hated but many of these guys actually grow fast and they are in the Win column in youtubes algorithm due to all the non fisherman and fishing kids watching and clicking the videos. Treating them like justin bieber of the fishing world. There is a reason why people like Clayton Shick Outdoors, Jay Siemens and Uncut Angling Will never grow as fast as any of the googan squad members. Its because they dont have those over the top titles and thumbnails. They maybe well respected by our community but they just wont achieve greatness like the googans. When I say Greatness i'm talking big money.

While the smaller boring silent guys are bottom feeders wishing they were a part of the winning team. I come to the point where I am only averaging maybe 1 video every 3 weeks. Rikkles fisher has been pumping out what feels likes 1 every 3 days. I do respect the grind and determination.

Respect wildlife

Last edited by HuyFishin; 06-28-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:15 PM

Sorry, posted this in the wrong thread, meant to put it here.

One thing about running a half decent U-tube channel though, is it takes a ton of shameless and relentless self promotion. So if you are willing to put in the work, great... but one also needs to accept that if they become the online version of that hardcore AMWAY guy that we all knew back in 90's, your going to get roughly the same reaction from the people you repeatedly attempt to solicit.

The OP is willing to make the vids, and he's willing to flog them... that's going to make him some friends, as well as some people that go the other way when they see him in the grocery store. He needs to come to terms with that.

You ever go out for a few brews with your buddies, and there's that one guy who won't quit trying to sell you insurance? As an avid U-tuber, in the context of this forum, you are that guy. Some of us like what you are pushing, others ignore it, and some of us find it irritating. In the end none of us has the authority to make you stop, but I do believe a few of the boys just expressed the opinion that poker night would be a little more fun without you.

Once again, its a roll one needs to come to terms with when they decide they want to be a u-tuber. You need not excuse your position, and I need not excuse mine.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post

One thing about running a half decent U-tube channel though, is it takes a ton of shameless and relentless self promotion. So if you are willing to put in the work, great... but one also needs to accept that if they become the online version of that hardcore AMWAY guy that we all knew back in 90's, your going to get roughly the same reaction from the people you repeatedly attempt to solicit.

The OP is willing to make the vids, and he's willing to flog them... that's going to make him some friends, as well as some people that go the other way when they see him in the grocery store. He needs to come to terms with that.

You ever go out for a few brews with your buddies, and there's that one guy who won't quit trying to sell you insurance? As an avid U-tuber, in the context of this forum, you are that guy. Some of us like what you are pushing, others ignore it, and some of us find it irritating. In the end none of us has the authority to make you stop, but I do believe a few of the boys just expressed the opinion that poker night would be a little more fun without you.

Once again, its a roll one needs to come to terms with when they decide they want to be a u-tuber. You need not excuse your position, and I need not excuse mine.
EX friend of mine once asked me out for a beer. It was just him trying to pitch me some dumb multi level marketing pyramid scheme.

FRIENDS OFF lol

Respect wildlife
Old 06-28-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post

Definitely have a ton more people that enjoy em and tell me to keep doing it so the choice is obvious! And I really just make a post about my video and then reply to all the comments lol not really pushing anything but hey there will always be the odd ole grouch that won't like what ya do and I'm fine with that! Lol I definitely post on the different social media platforms I'm on everytime I make a video, I work hard on them and am excited to share. I have made a ton of great friends and definitely don't get bent outta shape over the odd hater, tight lines!
Old 06-28-2020, 05:21 PM

Default Yes True.

Quote:
I Would say its probably just over the top Titles. The most annoying guys on youtube have over the top thumbnail photos with mouths wide open. holding a fish that has been blacked out so you cant see what it is. Title would say something like "I FISHED THIS CREEK FOR TROUT AND I CAUGHT THIS UNEXPECTED SURPRISE CATCH" You watch this whole video and out comes a sucker fish.

These youtubers are typically very hated but many of these guys actually grow fast and they are in the Win column in youtubes algorithm due to all the non fisherman and kids watching and clicking the videos.

While the smaller boring silent guys are bottom feeders wishing they were a part of the winning team. I come to the point where I am only averaging maybe 1 video every 3 weeks. Rikkles fisher has been pumping out what feels likes 1 every 3 days. I do respect the grind and determination.
Yes I agree with the titles and just as you bring this up I was just watching one of WayneChristie’s videos with the title of.
30 plus pound killer pike! Teeth as big as a dog and slimy as a LasVegas ( well the last word wasn’t exactly Lady).
Glass house like David Suzuki?
Old 06-28-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks man! Appreciate the comment, il try and work on titles I just get really excited over fishing haha I definitely have never lied on a title but I guess what is giant to me won't always be giant to someone else and I'm ok with that lol yeah my 1100 post game is weak I know🤣
Old 06-28-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Yes I agree with the titles and just as you bring this up I was just watching one of WayneChristie’s videos with the title of.
30 plus pound killer pike! Teeth as big as a dog and slimy as a LasVegas ( well the last word wasn’t exactly Lady).
i edited my post haha

Respect wildlife
Old 06-28-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:

These youtubers are typically very hated but many of these guys actually grow fast and they are in the Win column in youtubes algorithm due to all the non fisherman and fishing kids watching and clicking the videos. Treating them like justin bieber of the fishing world. There is a reason why people like Clayton Shick Outdoors, Jay Siemens and Uncut Angling Will never grow as fast as any of the googan squad members. Its because they dont have those over the top titles and thumbnails. They maybe well respected by our community but they just wont achieve greatness like the googans. When I say Greatness i'm talking big money.

I respect your comments and I feel like all my titles have been true, I have never clickbaited like you described above about other youtubers but I do get stoked about the fishing especially by the time the video is done and I'm making the title. And I appreciate you commenting on the vids and pics I get in a grind sometimes and don't always get back to everyone as fast as I should.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Hahaha no comment....
Old 06-28-2020, 05:58 PM

People just don’t view posting YouTube videos the same as actual interaction on the forum is likely why you are catching flack. Not going to lie I am more likely to open a YouTube clip posted by someone who contributes beyond just YouTube links. A few who post clips(not seeing them lately) I won’t even open the links Because I feel they are only here to get views

I am not big on the YouTube videos and only watch them when I am bored. Some I like some I don’t and most I fast forward when I start watching them. But hey I have changed the channel on lots of episodes of fishing shows I don’t care for on TV too lol

Post away if I feel like watching I will open the link if not I won’t. I know some really enjoy them but for me I come to a forum to interact with other outdoorsman and if I am looking for videos I google them

Just an honest opinion not a hater or a fan and will watch at times. I also respect some members really enjoy them
Closed Thread