Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-28-2020, 04:20 PM

Default Reasonably priced halibut charter on the Island

Just wondering if anyone has has had any good experiences with a good halibut charter . I am headed there for work mid July to Cumberland and the wife wants to drive out and meet me for my holidays that where already booked the week after my job finished. It’s her dream to get out halibut fishing and thought we could get it in since I am going to be there already. I know it’s expensive either way you cut it but was hopeful that someone could point me in the direction of a mom and pop kinda service to get out for a day or two . I am not interested in any big fancy lodge charters .just want to get out on the water and hopefully get a couple chickens . Thanks in advance for the responses
Old 06-28-2020, 08:13 PM

If you're planning to depart in the comox valley area I HIGHLY recommend Steve at Island Pursuit Sportfishing. Second generation fisherman from that area and hes got a couple boats and packages.....very reasonable rates. Im not exactly sure on his halibut trips but hes worth the call to find out. Look at his Facebook page hes on the fish every day.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:09 PM

My cousin runs this outfit. Their family has been fishing in the Comox area for 50+ years. He knows his stuff. Highly recommended.
https://naturallywildfishing.ca/about/
Old 06-28-2020, 11:03 PM

If you want halibut don’t fish anywhere south of Kelsey Bay on the East Coast of the Island.

I lived and fished Campbell River and all areas around there for 35 years and unless you are going to fish in over 250 feet of water you won’t get many halibut. Yes there are always a few caught as incidental by-catch but there is not enough to target. I even went as far as having an electric reel on my halibut rod and fished with 2 pounds of lead in 300 feet of water. That was the only way I could get them consistently. At that depth there was no fight it was just turn the reel on and hang on. The meat line I called it.

My advice, drive down to Ucluelet or Tofino for a couple days. That, or Port Hardy if you really want a halibut.

Comox/CR is fine for salmon fishing but not great for bottom fishing. You really need to know where to go and even then you only get to fish the slack tide for an hour then the tides moving too fast to fish the bottom.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:13 AM

Port Renfrew Steve French-sea wind adventures. Island Outfitters has 3 boats, bunch of other outfits.as good of a sure thing there is for halibut. and after July 15 chinook retention, lots of coho.