Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-21-2022, 07:07 PM

Default So Slow on Lac St Anne Ice

Went out to LSA this weekend, very pretty lake... couldn't find any fish. Lunch was okay, just not fish...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3546.jpg (113.9 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg 66708090811__9ED6F697-0C15-4893-A270-5E48374E833F.jpg (105.0 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg 66708143533__2CE37B56-E19E-410C-9FCE-CB80C7236655.jpg (84.3 KB, 271 views)
Old 02-21-2022, 09:58 PM

It’s been slow for several weeks - this year is probably the slowest ice fishing season I’ve seen there in a few years now.

Don’t know if it’s the back and forth weather or what’s going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2022, 02:02 AM

First winter fishing Lac Ste Anne as I have walleye tags for there.

Started off great as was not on the ice for more than 30 minutes on my first trip out Jan 2nd and had a 49.5cm walleye on the ice.

Next time out, 2 weeks later, caught and released 2 more legal walleye (44 cm class) but was greedy and wanted 48 cm or bust size.

Since then, other than a couple of pike landed and the very rare walleye visitor on camera, I cannot catch a cold out there. Have seen a few whites cruising on the camera as well.

Be back out there this week looking for 1 more walleye, not going to be greedy, if it is legal it is coming home. Learnt my lesson.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:32 AM

I don't know if it is just me but to me it has been slow everywhere I've fished this year and by that I'm referring to several different water bodies. Seems like this happens every 5 years or so. Some sort of cycle and the weather likely isn't helping.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:18 PM

Everyone I've spoken too say it's slow. Coronation Dam & Buffalo, I've been hearing the same.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:59 PM

Yup. Was out early January we caught one walleye 52cm (too big). Slotted as “B”. Still waiting for more walleyes. Caught few small pike. Yes overall is slow.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:14 PM

This year has been the worst ice fishing season at Pigeon for me in a long time .I only fish for walleye and have fished 5 different parts of the lake from 5 fow to 25fow and have hardly seen any fish.I dont mind if you see fish that are cruising and not interested but not seeing anything is weird.Sounds like alot of other lakes are experiencing the same thing.Hopefully come March things will pick up.
Old 02-23-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
This year has been the worst ice fishing season at Pigeon for me in a long time .I only fish for walleye and have fished 5 different parts of the lake from 5 fow to 25fow and have hardly seen any fish.I dont mind if you see fish that are cruising and not interested but not seeing anything is weird.Sounds like alot of other lakes are experiencing the same thing.Hopefully come March things will pick up.
Ehm...same here. 0 for 10 on whites. Last year I couldn't keep them off and this year is different. One thing about Pigeon for sure, it does not give up anything without a lot of work and learning. And, you cannot rely on same spots for any length of time. True for a lot of lakes but Pigeon will amaze anyone on how quickly it can turn. Of course I'm likely preaching to the choir here
Old 02-23-2022, 01:00 PM

Default So slow on Lac St Anne

When s the best time to ice fish for walleye. Is late March one of the better times.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
I don't know if it is just me but to me it has been slow everywhere I've fished this year and by that I'm referring to several different water bodies. Seems like this happens every 5 years or so. Some sort of cycle and the weather likely isn't helping.
I'm in the same boat. I've been to a lot of lakes this year and put up more goose eggs than I can remember. At least I'm getting out though
Old 02-24-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I'm in the same boat. I've been to a lot of lakes this year and put up more goose eggs than I can remember. At least I'm getting out though
Opposite for me - at least I feel less bad for not being able to get out.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Agreed bad days fishing still better than a good day at work. Hoping weather stabilizes and fishing picks-up in March. Been banking some points with the lady boss to be used for a few March outings.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:12 PM

At least we can agree on that...its slow, I think the summerkills are finally starting to show the decline of our beloved big whites. I'm doing a lap around my favorite central lakes on a whitefish hunt this week too. Camera and flasher and put some real effort into it, I don't mind not catching if they are cruising around suspended, at least there's hope, but if it's a total ghost town the ol wireworm looks pretty small down there. Good luck guys.
Old 02-25-2022, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Opposite for me - at least I feel less bad for not being able to get out.
Good on ya mate!

Things have been turning around this week. Finally! I'm just whining about the 15-16 trips prior
Actually, one of the first skunks in December was exploring 3 brookie lakes in one day. It was a fun day driving around and exploring. I'm excited to get back to some of them in open water times.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:06 AM

Slow year for me as well. Fishing for whites. Took till day 4 to get one on the ice. Had 1 full day without seeing one. Weird...thinking summer kill as well.
Old 02-26-2022, 04:01 PM

Default Catching giant pike with hot dogs :)

You need to use your leftover lunch as bait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPzNuDyUzU8
Old 02-26-2022, 08:30 PM

What are the thoughts on how this might affect open water fishing. I sure prefer to hear stories how good the fishing is, not there's few to be seen or caught.

Interested to hear the opinions of some experienced guys. Thanks!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-26-2022, 08:47 PM

They're around. I have a friend who's been fishing the usual haunts on our lake and getting skunked relentlessly. Today he went over to where we normally fish in March and caught 37 walleye in an hour with a friend. Things are just off this season with the weather and poor ice conditions making mobility an issue. I wouldn't panic about open water fishing where getting at them isn't an issue.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
They're around. I have a friend who's been fishing the usual haunts on our lake and getting skunked relentlessly. Today he went over to where we normally fish in March and caught 37 walleye in an hour with a friend. Things are just off this season with the weather and poor ice conditions making mobility an issue. I wouldn't panic about open water fishing where getting at them isn't an issue.
This time of year they go shallow near the weeds . just might be for the burbot eggs
Old 02-26-2022, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
This time of year they go shallow near the weeds . just might be for the burbot eggs
That's the area that's been getting him skunked without fail. Walleye don't spawn in weeds.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-27-2022, 12:20 AM

Quote:
That's the area that's been getting him skunked without fail. Walleye don't spawn in weeds.
No but the burbot come very close to the weeds in 5 ft of water to spawn and the walleye come in to eat the eggs ..

Read what I said ,not what you want to hear !
Old 02-27-2022, 12:22 AM

Quote:
No but the burbot come very close to the weeds in 5 ft of water to spawn and the walleye come in to eat the eggs in the late evening and so do the white fish ...... ..

Last edited by -JR-; 02-27-2022 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
No but the burbot come very close to the weeds in 5 ft of water to spawn and the walleye come in to eat the eggs ..

Friends have their shacks set up about 40' from a three acre-sized emergent vegetation island with submergent weed beds all around it on a driveway size pad of fist size and smaller gravel that burbot spawn on. They have been consistently skunked.

Are you consistently catching fish on the area you recommend? Or are you just dropping knowledge bombs for everyone to marvel at? I just told you I have people fishing the *exact* area you are recommending on a lake that should be easy to catch walleye by people that have caught them day in and day out for years and they are not catching them there.

Read what I said not what you want to hear.
Old 02-27-2022, 11:08 AM

That hump you are talking about is in the middle of the lake . Not my go to area . Mine is on the edge of the lake . Just trying to be nice and guiding fishermen to try shallow not just deep and no not shallow around the island either but the edges of the lake ,thats where i get them when the whole lake is slow this time of year just as the sun goes down .

Last edited by -JR-; 02-27-2022 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-27-2022, 06:23 PM

It has bin a tough year on pigeon for the big whites. Early January was good for about 10 days but not even close to what it was the year prior. Summer kill on the lake might have a lot to do with it but I’ve noticed a crazy amount of food in the deep water. Boat man’s and shrimp like crazy!! Hard to even tell where your hook is with all the clutter on the flasher. I believe there’s just so much food down there they don’t even see the hook, not to mention boatbman clinging to your line to make it stick out like a sore thumb. Walleye on the other hand haven’t found it tough at all to catch them at the right time at pigeon.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
It has bin a tough year on pigeon for the big whites. Early January was good for about 10 days but not even close to what it was the year prior. Summer kill on the lake might have a lot to do with it but I’ve noticed a crazy amount of food in the deep water. Boat man’s and shrimp like crazy!! Hard to even tell where your hook is with all the clutter on the flasher. I believe there’s just so much food down there they don’t even see the hook, not to mention boatbman clinging to your line to make it stick out like a sore thumb. Walleye on the other hand haven’t found it tough at all to catch them at the right time at pigeon.

Yep, saw the same. More food than I've ever seen. And they are everywhere out in the deep. Usually it is more sparse. So on the good side maybe they'll just get fatter!
Yeah, saw the same with the boatman clinging to the line.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:32 PM

Getting back to Lac Ste Anne...
It was ok for me today. Caught 2 walleye and 1 pike. This is really slow but a tiny bit better than the rest of February.
In January it was a lot better for me there.
Today I arrived really late and also had to leave early due to other commitments but even at 1pm I was seeing the odd walleye swim by.
They sure weren't hungry though.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:19 AM

Default Lac St Anne

5 of us were out on Saturday. We all have tags and we have been on the lake a few times this year.

We caught 3 pike and 1 Walleye.

It was a slow day, and we tried everything.

Camera showed very little as well all day. No perch, no whites, or burbot were seen.

At least the weather was nice.
Old 02-28-2022, 12:10 PM

3 of us tried a new spot near Yellowstone Saturday...nothing landed just saw the same scar faced pike on the camera for about 4 hours...great weather indeed...did have a neat bombardier buggy drive by as well as a helicopter fly over at what seemed like less than a hundred feet.