Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-21-2023, 12:18 PM

Default Registered and Illegal firearm

Sadly the registered firearm owner will be charged with murder and other firearms in defending his family. Let's see how the Liberal will spin this out

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2023/02/...j3rxkUqXyJU8_g
Old 02-21-2023, 12:24 PM

And one intruder was charged with having an illegal firearm, so he was actually defending him and his mother from armed intruders.

Quote:
Romario Clarke, 20, from Oshawa, is facing two charges, including breaking and entering and possessing an illegal firearm.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:58 PM

Charged is one thing but they have to convict and i feel based on recent self defence cases from the info presented they should have a very good chance of getting off. Unless the cops are holding evidence until trial.
Old 02-21-2023, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPsycho View Post
Charged is one thing but they have to convict and i feel based on recent self defence cases from the info presented they should have a very good chance of getting off. Unless the cops are holding evidence until trial.
You may be right but this smacks of punishment by process. Shouldn’t even be charged
Old 02-21-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
You may be right but this smacks of punishment by process. Shouldn’t even be charged
Exactly, thousands of dollars spent on a lawyer to defend himself, that is how the system punishes innocent people.
Old 02-21-2023, 01:35 PM

Hopefully he has CCFR insurance, and the only thing he said to the cops was, "I was afraid for my life."
Old 02-21-2023, 06:44 PM

The way I understand it from watching the news is there were 4 shots (bangbang) (bangbang). The fellow talking said the owner only shot once so the other 3 were from the intruder........with that he should get off....fight fire with Fire!
WDF
Old 02-21-2023, 06:52 PM

As said, he may get off on the charges, but the process is the punishment. We have seen it play out in many high profile cases that I won't bring up. But the financial and reputational cost will be huge.

This area of law in Canada is particularly egregious in it's application.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-21-2023, 06:59 PM

Just watched this on global news. They interviewed the defence lawyer and neighbours, what was missing was interviewing the police on why he was charged. Unless there is more to the story this is absolutely disgusting, but unfortunately not surprising as we have seen before
Old 02-21-2023, 07:45 PM

Lawyer said he didnt intend to kill the intruder and he only shot once......

😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅
Old 02-21-2023, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Lawyer said he didnt intend to kill the intruder and he only shot once......

😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅
That would be my story and I'm sticking too it lol
Old 02-21-2023, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
The way I understand it from watching the news is there were 4 shots (bangbang) (bangbang). The fellow talking said the owner only shot once so the other 3 were from the intruder........with that he should get off....fight fire with Fire!

WDF
It seems that intruders sometimes have more rights than the homeowners. Hopefully this time that isn't the case.

Sent from my BAH2-W19 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2023, 10:58 PM

So 5 people broke into his home, atleast one was armed (3 fled so we have no idea if any of them were armed as well), the story as is has atleast one of the home invaders firing his gun and the person in the house with his elderly mother is the one charged with murder?

What exactly is the standard for self defence in this country if 5 people armed with a gun(s?) can break into your house at 5 am, threaten (attack?) a woman, and shoot at you doesn't qualify?
Old 02-22-2023, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Exactly, thousands of dollars spent on a lawyer to defend himself, that is how the system punishes innocent people.
You bet. I watched a video this morning from Runkle. In it he speculates that the charge could be dropped just prior to court letting the guy "off" but in reality he would have already spent tens of thousands of dollars on defence. So, break the guy, ruin his life and likely keep him in jail for as long as they could because he had the audacity to defend his mother and himself from armed intruders. And the pompus a** that decided to lay the charge out of spite gets nothing for being a petty little *****
Old 02-22-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
Just watched this on global news. They interviewed the defence lawyer and neighbours, what was missing was interviewing the police on why he was charged. Unless there is more to the story this is absolutely disgusting, but unfortunately not surprising as we have seen before
It would be the crown prosecutor that instructed the charge be laid I believe. The police just do as they are told in this case
Old 02-22-2023, 09:23 AM

Most home invasions like this are not random. Likely more to the story as in most cases.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
Most home invasions like this are not random. Likely more to the story as in most cases.
Yup, I also notice that in the article. My assumption is somebody in the household is maybe involved in illegal activities. It would be somebody since the shooter is a registered firearm owner or is he since they do a background check or not?

The point here is the self-defence claim or am I my brother's keeper?
Old 02-22-2023, 10:53 AM

the joys of rural vs city , here it would be shoot shovel shut up , neighbors would think its a coyote in the chicken coupe and the rcmp wouldn't show up even they were called.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
the joys of rural vs city , here it would be shoot shovel shut up , neighbors would think its a coyote in the chicken coupe and the rcmp wouldn't show up even they were called.
Pipers Dream
Old 02-22-2023, 01:16 PM

Seems to me, in reading the article, there may be more to the story outside of a simple "self defense" here. The story eluded to that twice.

If, in fact, it was a violent home invasion by a number of assailants, at least one of which had a firearm, this should be an easy case to dismiss - but the fact they were so quick to bring second degree charges leads me to believe either police know more than is being shared and/or they are completely inept in applying reasonable justice (charges) against what should be a pretty straight forward situation.

I would hate to think the police were over zealous in quickly charging someone who simply defended themselves as a lawful citizen, licensed gun owner with clear evidence to support his home was invaded by armed assailants that presented a danger to him and his mother and he acted lawfully in self defence.

Something doesn't make sense here.
Old 02-22-2023, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Seems to me, in reading the article, there may be more to the story outside of a simple "self defense" here. The story eluded to that twice.

If, in fact, it was a violent home invasion by a number of assailants, at least one of which had a firearm, this should be an easy case to dismiss - but the fact they were so quick to bring second degree charges leads me to believe either police know more than is being shared and/or they are completely inept in applying reasonable justice (charges) against what should be a pretty straight forward situation.

I would hate to think the police were over zealous in quickly charging someone who simply defended themselves as a lawful citizen, licensed gun owner with clear evidence to support his home was invaded by armed assailants that presented a danger to him and his mother and he acted lawfully in self defence.

Something doesn't make sense here.
Nail on the head. The news report said the mother had called police a few days earlier about a group of trespassers in the yard.

What did they come back for? were they known to the shooter?

There's a good chance the kid was into something bad with the wrong people and almost got his mother killed in the process.

Definitely something missing from this...
Old 02-22-2023, 02:51 PM

I don't care what the guy did or may of had in house. Yes, the fact that there was an incident about a week prior and people were scoping the yard leads to a reasonable suspicion that it was a targeted home invasion but I can't think of a situation in which 5 people breaking into a house in the early hours of the morning, armed with gun(s? As we have no idea what the other 3 has) and began beating up a woman does not meat the criteria of self defence.

If the guy had a 10kgs of meth in the basement investigate him for that and charge him. The facts as presented (5 armed men broke in, beat a woman, and her son shot and killed one to protect her) is self defence.
Old 02-22-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
I don't care what the guy did or may of had in house. Yes, the fact that there was an incident about a week prior and people were scoping the yard leads to a reasonable suspicion that it was a targeted home invasion but I can't think of a situation in which 5 people breaking into a house in the early hours of the morning, armed with gun(s? As we have no idea what the other 3 has) and began beating up a woman does not meat the criteria of self defence.

If the guy had a 10kgs of meth in the basement investigate him for that and charge him. The facts as presented (5 armed men broke in, beat a woman, and her son shot and killed one to protect her) is self defence.
If this turns out to be drug related violence between criminals, none of them deserve any support from the legal firearms community.

Cant preach we aren't the problem while sticking up for the group that is the problem.

Alas, its all hearsay for now. We don't know, and may never know, why this happened.
Old 02-22-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
If this turns out to be drug related violence between criminals, none of them deserve any support from the legal firearms community.

Cant preach we aren't the problem while sticking up for the group that is the problem.

Alas, its all hearsay for now. We don't know, and may never know, why this happened.
100 % agree on no support. The question is, why does he have a license if the police think he is into something illegal?
Old 02-22-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorot View Post
100 % agree on no support. The question is, why does he have a license if the police think he is into something illegal?
To be fair....that's all speculative. But something stinks here. If I'm wrong Ill admit it. I don't KNOW what was going on there....just a few parts of the story that don't make any sense.

Those assailants being there twice and coming in such numbers suggests there's more to this than we are being told about for now. I'm sure the law is asking these same questions.
Old 02-22-2023, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Because if they pulled your license on suspicion it would be as unfair as any or ours being pulled on suspicion
Old 02-22-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Could easily be a gang member, life long criminal, drug dealer, who knows, but if he has never been convicted of anything they can't deny a firearm license. I'm sure there are quite a few criminals who have firearms licenses because they havent been convicted of anything and their name doesn't come up on a criminal background check.
Old 02-23-2023, 05:51 AM

Trudy flapped his gums about not having the right to defend yourself with a gun in canada. Obviously the twit knows as much about law as he does about economics.
Old 02-23-2023, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Trudy flapped his gums about not having the right to defend yourself with a gun in canada. Obviously the twit knows as much about law as he does about economics.
Wasn't it Trudeau that said if you kill your enemy, he wins?
Old 02-23-2023, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
i wish he would give up his armed guards , i wonder if he can defend himself against all the friends hes made.