Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-07-2023, 08:46 AM

Default 218 Bee? Paging the varminting experts!

Or should I say, "how to go about it?"

Hey guys-I imagine there is someone on this forum with 218 Bee experience, so I'm hoping to hear about the caliber first-hand. I've never been a "more the merrier" type when it comes to guns, and only have the number I have due to a desire to experience various makes/models/calibers. Some I love out of the gate, some I've owned less than half a year before selling. 218 Bee is one I've never held or shot, and the number of available (used) factory rifles is very, very limited. Kimber appears to have been the best, if you can find/afford one. Ruger No.1 with so-so accuracy? Always wondered if a CZ527 could be re-barreled but read recently the mags won't fit the rounds themselves. Any way you slice it, looks as though the options are old/rare/questionable accuracy...or new/rare/expensive.

218 Bee worth the fight?

If you had a nice 17 Hornet, 223 and 204 Ruger rifles=does 218 Bee bring anything to the table these don't? While I rarely use it, the 17 Hornet is an incredibly capable caliber. I'm looking at changing the scope on mine and running it this spring/summer for groundhogs. I love the 204, but it's more gun than needed out to 150 yards. I've taken groundhogs out to 200 with the 17H. Drops them in their tracks. 204 is a laser out to 200, but a heavier gun.

appreciate the input!
Old 02-07-2023, 02:09 PM

Its a good cartridge , as you know very limited options . If looking for similar ballistic go 221 fireball or possibly 21 K hornet
Old 02-07-2023, 02:46 PM

I built one on a Stevens 044-1/2 action I acquired at a gun show, put a 24" octagon bbl on it, built a stock for it. Still not finished, have to polish up the lever yet, when I get a roundtouit. The powders and bullets these days can make it run pretty nicely alongside my 223 with heavier bullets in it. I started off with a Ruger 77 in 22-250, went to a #1V and then a Browning 1885 in 223 & 22-250. Then I got tired of using 38gr of powder all the time, built the 1885 22-250 into a 32-40, built the Bee at the same time. I can comfortably run the Bee at 2800 with AA1680, or 3000 with L'il Gun and 40gr bullets in that gun, that's all I need for gophers or the occasional yote. I'm comfortable to 300 with it most days, pound of powder goes a long way with that cartridge at 14gr or so. I've run 45, 50gr bullets in it, 55gr Lyman cast, it likes everything it's been fed, and I've smacked a lot of gophers with it, holds miunute of gopher head at 200yds, watched plenty of red mist thru the scope. Not really sure why I still keep the 223, other than I like that gun, too, but I will take the Bee out first 9 times out of 10.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:20 PM

I know nothing. But I enjoy the account of the 218bee. Sometimes it’s nice to bring out a low recoil gun.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:24 PM

I am interested in it as well. I own dies and some brass but have yet to find a rifle. It is ~200 fps faster then a .22 Hornet if that matters and it sounds cool, But could I get the same performance from a .22 K Hornet and just skip all the hassles of trying to find a Bee? The gophers will never know the difference.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:17 AM

I have a Cooper in 218 Bee and am quite happy with it. With Lilgun it gets 500 rounds to a pound of powder at 13 grains per. It is incredibly accurate.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:28 AM

While I have never had a 218 bee I have over the years shot gophers and other vermin with, 17HMR, 17WSM, 17 hornet, .222, .223, 22-250, 22 hornet, and 17 rem and they all worked just fine, I have trimmed down the herd over the last 6 years or so and am back down to just a 17 HMR and .223 again. I love those little .172 - 20 gr pills at 3600 - 4000 fps as they just leave a little red spot on the prairie, small and dinky to load but fun to shoot, anyway the 218 bee should be just fine, enjoy the search and let us know what you think of it.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:52 AM

Thanks to everyone who chimed-in. Sort of the response I was expecting, really appreciate it! Seems the guys I'm buddies with seem to favor more power over less, so they don't get my infatuation with rimfires..nor they get why I'd take 17 Hornet over a 223/204. It's about variety for me, and if I can load for it and it does what I need, the age/oddity adds appeal...not the other way around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
While I have never had a 218 bee I have over the years shot gophers and other vermin with, 17HMR, 17WSM, 17 hornet, .222, .223, 22-250, 22 hornet, and 17 rem and they all worked just fine, I have trimmed down the herd over the last 6 years or so and am back down to just a 17 HMR and .223 again. I love those little .172 - 20 gr pills at 3600 - 4000 fps as they just leave a little red spot on the prairie, small and dinky to load but fun to shoot, anyway the 218 bee should be just fine, enjoy the search and let us know what you think of it.
^with silver being attached to his Cooper, the road may be long.

In all seriousness, any input on what would be the most "affordable" option for putting one of these together? I've never built a rifle or had one built, but if you wanted (say) even a single-shot bolt action in this caliber, what would be the approach? Even possible under $1K?

700 action?
Savage 10?
Old 02-08-2023, 12:31 PM

The issue becomes the base diameter of the 218 . Remington. 700 would not be a good candidate. The Savage would be better as one needs to open the bolt face.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
The issue becomes the base diameter of the 218 . Remington. 700 would not be a good candidate. The Savage would be better as one needs to open the bolt face.
Thanks fps. The process is very foreign to me, but in my Googling....read an account (Saubier?) where someone used a 527, opened the bolt face...but fed it single shot as the rounds wouldn't fit in the mag.

Sound plausible/safe?
Old 02-08-2023, 02:00 PM

Should work
Old 02-08-2023, 06:54 PM

Gonna be tough to buy a donor and build a 218 for under 1k. Cheapest way is to find a 22 cal center fire in which the bolt can be modified and the barrel rechambered to 218 .
Old 02-09-2023, 02:13 PM

With the pricing on falling block singleshots these days, it certainly is more expensive project than it was when I did mine. In looking at what I'd like to build these day vs the cost of a donor gun, it's a bit brutal in fact, be a 2k bill for sure, if I'm lucky enough to find a bare action for 1K somewhere, and that would be building the stock myself. Lots of barrel makers in Cda, but an octagon most likely has to come from the US, as I'm not too terribly sure I'd be able to get one locally anymore.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:20 AM

How feasible would it be to re-barrel a Winchester 43? I suspect using something more modern like a Savage would make more sense, allow for a better trigger, etc.
Old 02-14-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
How feasible would it be to re-barrel a Winchester 43? I suspect using something more modern like a Savage would make more sense, allow for a better trigger, etc.
I think it would be best to go back to post 12. I think he said it best.

Edit; you are looking at $500 for a barrel, plus gunsmith time. If you set a barrel back and open up the bolt face, you are only out the time, not the barrel.
Having said all that, you could probably buy a small centerfire and just shoot it. I didn't go and look for a Bee, I came home from a job with some jingle in my pocket, was jonesing for a Hornet, and a friend of mine talked me into buying his Bee.

Last edited by silver; 02-14-2023 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-14-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I think it would be best to go back to post 12. I think he said it best.

Edit; you are looking at $500 for a barrel, plus gunsmith time. If you set a barrel back and open up the bolt face, you are only out the time, not the barrel.
Having said all that, you could probably buy a small centerfire and just shoot it. I didn't go and look for a Bee, I came home from a job with some jingle in my pocket, was jonesing for a Hornet, and a friend of mine talked me into buying his Bee.
Thanks silver. There are a few varmint calibers I haven't tried and it's around this time of year when I get to thinking about them. I have a the "centerfire varmint rifle" thing pretty much covered as it is, I just wonder if there is a less-common caliber I might like shooting more. I can't see the BEE being a far different shooting experience than a 17 Hornet?

Anyhow, since having a gun customized like this is only something I've read about online...I'll bug you guys with one more question;

Would something like a Savage 10 or Savage Axis be among the better, 22 centerfire options to start off with and if so, what rate of twist would you be hoping the barrel be for 218 BEE? The 218 BEE case dimension is approx. .030" larger in diameter than .223, would the magazine accept these rounds?
Old 02-14-2023, 09:20 AM

just go with the duce and be done with it.......😎

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
just go with the duce and be done with it.......😎
I would concur, But where is the fun in that? LOL
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:57 AM

Thanks everyone-decided I'll just keep looking for factory rifle. Can't see the BEE becoming my primary varmint gun, so I'm probably spinning my wheels trying to figure out the best way to put a gun together affordably...and with great accuracy potential.

Now that I typed that out, looks like an even taller order. lol

Thanks to everyone who chimed-in. If you see a 218 BEE listed, feel free to send me a PM.

Cheers, and safe shooting!
Old 02-16-2023, 12:18 PM

too bad you didn't buy my martini with unertal scope when i had it listed for $1200.
after a few tire kickers i sent it to auction and got $1800 for it couple weeks ago.
my last one is there now, in 219 donaldson wasp if odd is what you are after.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.