Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-15-2023, 02:20 PM

Default Anti-Cant Indicator Clamp Style

I know having your rifle in a gun vice, leveling the rifle & then before final tightening down the rings on your scope to level your scope so everything is aligned works to help accuracy. Bore Sighting Etc. (Has anyone used the Anti-Cant clamp style to add onto your scope like Wheeler offers.) Canting effecting your shot placement. It's maybe another thing that might help the shooter when having the time to make a shot at a longer distance. I've never seemed to have much of an issue with it, but it has happened even in a slight amount whether left or right, but I'm pretty mindful of paying attention that I'm not doing it before a shot. However, in having to do a quick shot for whatever reason I don't think you're going to be paying much attention to the level. Pretty much raise the rifle naturally to be square onto the shoulder & make the shot. Any Ifo, insight or opinions on the subject welcome.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:59 PM

I don't think anything cant wise, in a hunting situation under 500m will make that much of a difference, if you are holding proper. If you are purposely holding off, then maybe, but you should set up the scope to the way you naturally hold the rifle.

Any quick shots you will not be making past 200m anyways, or shouldn't. Again pending on user ability.

Anything beyond that, well, you should have time to set up and check for things like that, so it pays to have a level of some kind on your rifle, if regularly shooting past 500m.

I have a mounted level, and when at the range practicing I use it, so I can get used to using it. But then I try and practice out past 500m on a regular basis as well.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:31 AM

Canting is one of those things that is very inconsequential as far as accuracy goes, ESPECIALLY in a hunting situation.
Hold the cross hairs "square with the World" and all will be good if you are aiming and following through correctly. That is just my opinion however, coming from many years of both competition and hunting.
Cat
Old 02-16-2023, 10:42 AM

Anti cant levels have use on long range target rifles ( 800-2500 yds) but have no practical use on a hunting rig. It is totally possible to shoot past 1k with out the use of an anti cant....so they are probably more of a marketing thing than anything...that said my LR rifles are all set up with one....
Old 02-16-2023, 11:31 AM

https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/...ant-indicator/

Easy peasy. Nice for a long distance shot.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:01 PM
Banned

All depends if you want to be accurate or if you just want to be Joe Schmo and flinging lead at things.
I have them on all my rifles, do I use them all the time. Nope. But when I’m setting up for a precision shot at any range I’ll double check it as part of my routine. Why not use one?
Old 02-16-2023, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
All depends if you want to be accurate or if you just want to be Joe Schmo and flinging lead at things.
I have them on all my rifles, do I use them all the time. Nope. But when I’m setting up for a precision shot at any range I’ll double check it as part of my routine. Why not use one?
If you cannot figure out how to hold a rifle "Square with the World", all is lost anyway.
The wind will mess you up faster than anything else will, on a target range or in the field.
Try shooting without your level at say, 700 meters, then with it, I'm sure you will be surprised if your wind call is the same and accurate.
Cat
Old 02-17-2023, 07:26 AM

There was a very in depth discussion about this very thing a while back on CGN .
The actual math was brought up as well as several yutube videos .
However, if a persn fugures an anti cant level is going help them and is imprtant , who am I to tell them not to use one.
Cat
Old 02-17-2023, 08:19 AM

My sig sauer sierra 3 BDX scopes have an anti cant built right into them in the crosshairs that lights up if you cant the scope, it's very nice

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
My sig sauer sierra 3 BDX scopes have an anti cant built right into them in the crosshairs that lights up if you cant the scope, it's very nice
I saw one like that on a Tangent Theta last weekend

Cat
Old 02-17-2023, 10:03 AM

I bought the bdx 6 system for my wife to use. She has not used it yet, but I sure have.
Yep kinda neat that it is built in. I do find the eye box a bit small for it tho, so we shall see how she likes it.
Our range jumps from 600M to 900M, so can't try it out to 800m. Works fine out to 500M. Like the range, and shoot with the light up dot for aiming features it has.

I know some of the range scopes have all built in anticant features. Wondering if this is something that will end up more main stream in scopes that have the lit up center crosshairs?
Old 02-19-2023, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I saw one like that on a Tangent Theta last weekend

Cat
Hmmmm are you sure?
I don’t have anything similar on my tangent theta
And there’s nothing on their website saying they have anything like that either on other models
Old 02-19-2023, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
If you cannot figure out how to hold a rifle "Square with the World", all is lost anyway.
The wind will mess you up faster than anything else will, on a target range or in the field.
Try shooting without your level at say, 700 meters, then with it, I'm sure you will be surprised if your wind call is the same and accurate.
Cat

It’s a lot different shooting straight uphill on the side of a mountain, with your body in the rocks and being contorted in a crappy position vs shooting off a bench at the range
Old 02-19-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
It’s a lot different shooting straight uphill on the side of a mountain, with your body in the rocks and being contorted in a crappy position vs shooting off a bench at the range
I agree. It is extremely difficult to judge level on a mountain or side hill. On thing to note though is that you naturally stand plumb. Game are the same. They are a good indication of what is level or plumb.
Old 02-19-2023, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Hmmmm are you sure?
I don’t have anything similar on my tangent theta
And there’s nothing on their website saying they have anything like that either on other models
It may have been an accessory on the rail, I expect him to be out today on the 1K line so will check closer.
Cat
Old 02-19-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I personally have never found it that difficult to do even without a horizon to assist in it.
Cat
Old 02-19-2023, 11:56 AM

As far as anti cant levels I really like the US Optics ones that fold and fasten right to the rail.
Old 02-19-2023, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
It may have been an accessory on the rail, I expect him to be out today on the 1K line so will check closer.
Cat
Honestly though, if you see him today, you should just take it off and throw it in the garbage
It sounds like you would be just doing him a favour
Old 02-19-2023, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
I personally have never found it that difficult to do even without a horizon to assist in it.
Cat
Well I can tell you first hand, that in a lot of situations, it’s nice to be able to just double check and confirm. I have no idea why being precise is good of your shooting at a piece of paper. But not if your shooting at an animal?
Old 02-19-2023, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Well I can tell you first hand, that in a lot of situations, it’s nice to be able to just double check and confirm. I have no idea why being precise is good of your shooting at a piece of paper. But not if your shooting at an animal?
I am capable of holding consistantly 1.5 MOA ( 10 rounds) with no issues with a sling and irons rifle at 500 meters, with a scope on the rifle I can cut that in half.
In the past when I was shooting animals at what some consider insane distances (900 meters plus), I never used a level and don't see the need for one.
However, as I said in a previous post. If someone wants to use one, who am I to say they shouldn't?
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-19-2023 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2023, 04:58 PM
Banned

Ya but some people it would be beneficial
Old 02-19-2023, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Ya but some people it would be beneficial
For a lot of people, investing in practice instead of gadgets, would be more beneficial.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-19-2023, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
For a lot of people, investing in practice instead of gadgets, would be more beneficial.
You a sheep hunter? Shooting off a rest in a blind is pretty easy to hold a rifle level. Other situations it is not

Last edited by MountainTi; 02-19-2023 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2023, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Then shoot from that position at 500 yards.
Old 02-19-2023, 05:15 PM

I’ve known Catnthehat for close to 15 years. The man is a legend in my mind. He’s forgotten more about shooting, hunting, trapping and fishing, than most will ever learn in a lifetime. When he says something, the wise would pay attention. Instead of yapping or bragging, he just does it. I’ve seen his offhand targets at ranges most of us don’t attempt to shoot at. He’s first class boys.
Old 02-19-2023, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I’ve known Catnthehat for close to 15 years. The man is a legend in my mind. He’s forgotten more about shooting, hunting, trapping and fishing, than most will ever learn in a lifetime. When he says something, the wise would pay attention. Instead of yapping or bragging, he just does it. I’ve seen his offhand targets at ranges most of us don’t attempt to shoot at. He’s first class boys.
And not everyone has that same experience
So why not use a tool that can help?
That’s like someone using a wind meter instead of some licking their finger and putting it in the air
Do you need one? No. Will it help, you bet.
Old 02-19-2023, 05:44 PM

Quote:
And not everyone has that same experience
So why not use a tool that can help?
That’s like someone using a wind meter instead of some licking their finger and putting it in the air
Do you need one? No. Will it help, you bet.
In a world full of gimmicks, can’t beat get your ass outside and practice. Shooting within your limitations is paramount. If you want to use one, fill your boots.
PN: no one said they’re useless. You’re the one raising hell because someone didn’t agree with you.
Old 02-19-2023, 06:11 PM

Quote:
In a world full of gimmicks, can’t beat get your ass outside and practice. Shooting within your limitations is paramount. If you want to use one, fill your boots.
PN: no one said they’re useless. You’re the one raising hell because someone didn’t agree with you.
Bingo, some people want to replace practise with gadgets, because they simply can't be bothered to make the time and effort, to get out and practise. It's a product of today's society. I watched one guy sight in his new Huskemaw at 25 yards, then tell the guy with him that he was good to 800 yards. The guy asked him why he wasn't going to verify the points of impact, at longer distances, and the response was that he bought the Huskemaw, and had a special turret made for his load, so he didn't have to waste time shooting at longer ranges.
Old 02-19-2023, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
In a world without a readily accessible source of ammunition would it not make sense to use something that can help decrease your learning curve?
PN (whatever that means)
I just said that they are handy and it wouldn’t hurt if you used one

I’m curious, How do you know what your limitations are?
Old 02-19-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Then shoot from that position at 500 yards.
Just because a person does not hunt sheep does not automatically mean they don't shoot on sidehills , or downhill or uphill in contorted positions on occasion .
Cat