Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 05:31 PM

Default We need a new subcategory in the buy and sell for accessories

Anyone else tired of the same people hawking overpriced crap in the Firearms buy and sell? Whether it's stocks, dies, other reloading equipment or accessories, insanely overpriced powders and primers, it's getting annoying.

When I have to sift through all the other stuff to actually find out who is selling guns, a lot of days it's not even worth the effort. Why can't we have a subcategory for firearms accessories like Canadian gun nutz has?

And while I'm on the subject, it is really annoying that you can't put in a three character search like SKS. If it can be done on the other website, I'm not sure why it can't be done here. Just some food for thought.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:07 PM

I totally agree. That’s a great idea.Thanks for bringing it up.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifle View Post
Anyone else tired of the same people hawking overpriced crap in the Firearms buy and sell? Whether it's stocks, dies, other reloading equipment or accessories, insanely overpriced powders and primers, it's getting annoying.

When I have to sift through all the other stuff to actually find out who is selling guns, a lot of days it's not even worth the effort. Why can't we have a subcategory for firearms accessories like Canadian gun nutz has?

And while I'm on the subject, it is really annoying that you can't put in a three character search like SKS. If it can be done on the other website, I'm not sure why it can't be done here. Just some food for thought.
It only takes me 20sec or so to scan down the page and if something pops then I open it. I see no reason for change. Also guess what? It's not gonna lol 😂
WDF
Old 02-08-2023, 07:59 PM

This web platform is very old and outdated. We all know that. BTW, this has nothing to do with mods, and they don’t have the power to change anything technical anyhow. Eventually, it will become functionally obsolete is my guess. Enjoy the forum for what it is. As has been said, it is not hard to scroll through a couple pages. Maybe the owner will surprise us and update, but lemme warn you all. Not all new web platforms are much of an improvement. A well known hunting dog forum I frequent regularly updated to a new platform, and a ton of the old guard said screw this noise, and just quit posting. It was glitchy as hell, and was not at all intuitive. In short, a real pain in the azzola. It’s a shadow of what it once was. Be careful what you wish for.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:10 PM

What would be even better is if sellers would edit the titles of their ads after they sell their items. Much easier for the mods to delete old ads when we don’t have to open an ad to see a sold sign.
Old 02-09-2023, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
What would be even better is if sellers would edit the titles of their ads after they sell their items. Much easier for the mods to delete old ads when we don’t have to open an ad to see a sold sign.
I just wish there was a way to edit post titles on mobile. Or maybe there is a way I'm not aware of. 99% of the time that I spend on AO forum is on a mobile device and, while tapatalk has its advantages, editing isn't one of them.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2023, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodhead View Post
I just wish there was a way to edit post titles on mobile. Or maybe there is a way I'm not aware of. 99% of the time that I spend on AO forum is on a mobile device and, while tapatalk has its advantages, editing isn't one of them.

I run mobile 99% of the time and I’m able to edit buy sell titles no problem.

There’s also the option of just hitting the report a post icon and asking for an ad to be removed……..

There are no absolutes
Old 02-09-2023, 06:22 AM

it would be cool if people selling multiple items used one ad to list them all instead of 14 new threads each listing one item. there must be a cost to the amount of space used on here. and when people want to reply to a post and have to quote with a ton of pictures from the original post, then to say 'nice buck'

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
it would be cool if people selling multiple items used one ad to list them all instead of 14 new threads each listing one item. there must be a cost to the amount of space used on here. and when people want to reply to a post and have to quote with a ton of pictures from the original post, then to say 'nice buck'

This x1000. Nothing like the same guy putting up 15 x $50 items worth $25 each then bumping his ads every 3 days for 6 months with no price reductions knocking 1 item sellers off the page. I know him and nice fella but yeesh. Even just maxing the number of active ads to 3 per member would be a big help.

(Yes we get it. You found a shoebox with 3 unfired 22 cartridges, a forestock for a Fox Model B, half a can of Remoil, and some misc patches. No need for 4 ads)

I'd take it a step further. If your profile doesn't show where you're located - no ads

If you fail to mark your item as SOLD in the HEADER within 24 hrs of sellung - no ads for 3 months. Do it again 6 months.

On that note I have 1000 once fired .22 rimfire brass I'd like to move for $100. No lowballers please. I know what I've got.

Last edited by 270person; 02-09-2023 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I edited my ad in fishing January 16 “sold please delete” and it’s still up
Old 02-09-2023, 09:03 AM

Lol,

Buncha old cranky fellas! Always wanting it their way!

Just scroll on by.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
it would be cool if people selling multiple items used one ad to list them all instead of 14 new threads each listing one item.
I feel that's a terrible idea. I'd rather just scroll though the forum scanning the titles than have to open each thread to see what the seller has to offer.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scesfiremedic View Post
I edited my ad in fishing January 16 “sold please delete” and it’s still up

Lol how did I know I would get this response. We don’t always catch ‘em all sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
This x1000. Nothing like the same guy putting up 15 x $50 items worth $25 each then bumping his ads every 3 days for 6 months with no price reductions knocking 1 item sellers off the page. I know him and nice fella but yeesh. Even just maxing the number of active ads to 3 per member would be a big help.

(Yes we get it. You found a shoebox with 3 unfired 22 cartridges, a forestock for a Fox Model B, half a can of Remoil, and some misc patches. No need for 4 ads)

I'd take it a step further. If your profile doesn't show where you're located - no ads

If you fail to mark your item as SOLD in the HEADER within 24 hrs of sellung - no ads for 3 months. Do it again 6 months.

On that note I have 1000 once fired .22 rimfire brass I'd like to move for $100. No lowballers please. I know what I've got.
Wow! And some think the mods are harsh.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I feel that's a terrible idea. I'd rather just scroll though the forum scanning the titles than have to open each thread to see what the seller has to offer.

Seems to work just fine on the largest Canadian firearms exchange site. I'm thinking that you may not use the Buy & Sell here that much?

CGN

4. Each member is allowed 2 threads of WTS and 2 threads of OfferTT in each of the Equipment Exchange forums.

How about multiple under $100.00 items grouped inside one thread? You find multiple scope mount threads beneficial? I see lots of threads headed as "Various Powders/Bullets/Primers" with assorted versions listed in post. Doesn't seem to cause problems.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Seems to work just fine on the largest Canadian firearms exchange site. I'm thinking that you may not use the Buy & Sell here that much?
With almost twice as many ads I'm pretty sure that would be GunPost.ca and one item per ad does seem to work pretty well for them.

Regardless of how you want to spin it, simply scrolling threads while scanning titles is easier than clicking on every ad, scan the ad to see what they are selling, clicking back, clicking the next ad..... That would be akin to having no title....

Great. If that's how they want to market it, doesn't matter to me.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:

CGN

4. Each member is allowed 2 threads of WTS and 2 threads of OfferTT in each of the Equipment Exchange forums.

How about multiple under $100.00 items grouped inside one thread? You find multiple scope mount threads beneficial? I see lots of threads headed as "Various Powders/Bullets/Primers" with assorted versions listed in post. Doesn't seem to cause problems.
Send a note to Admin . As Sns mentioned we as mods have no tools in the box that allows us to change anything about how the forum is structured .
Old 02-09-2023, 12:44 PM

Its fine the way it is..
Old 02-09-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
It would be nice if the admin would give the seller the option to delete their own threads in the B&S. It would make less work for the mods.

I do wish it would be mandatory to have a location listed on the add before it can be posted . There are hundreds off adds up now with no location.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-09-2023, 01:42 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
It would be nice if the admin would give the seller the option to delete their own threads in the B&S. It would make less work for the mods.

I do wish it would be mandatory to have a location listed on the add before it can be posted . There are hundreds off adds up now with no location.
Report them and they will be deleted as such... Location is a requirement. Not necessarily and exact location (like "Calgary") per se as many do not live in town or urban areas, but absolutely a general location at a minimum.

Also I will point out, some members have their location in the user description. In that case it would be inferred even if not in the add directly. At least when I see it that is how I handle it.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-09-2023, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Its fine the way it is..
X 1 Trillion. I don't mind scrolling thru the ads.
I might see something there I didn't realize I needed.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:53 PM

I'm with Ripley on this one.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-09-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodhead View Post

You can. I just edited some older buy-sell posts last week from my phone.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
With almost twice as many ads I'm pretty sure that would be GunPost.ca and one item per ad does seem to work pretty well for them.

Regardless of how you want to spin it, simply scrolling threads while scanning titles is easier than clicking on every ad, scan the ad to see what they are selling, clicking back, clicking the next ad..... That would be akin to having no title....

Great. If that's how they want to market it, doesn't matter to me.

Tks for proving my point. More ads because its ok to post 12 scope mounts in 12 separate ads on GP. Not ok on CGN. Now take a look at the number and quality of sponsors on CGN. Kind of important? Pretty much every major firearms retailer in Canada. Gunpost? Crickets. One step up from Townposts firearms garage sale.

Complicating things is having very broad sales categories. Everything rifles, shotguns, rimfires, blacks, ammunition, reloading and ammo in one category is a big chunk. When categories are that broad sellers don't get a lot of prime sell time in top pages yeah? Translates to fewer sellers starting threads.

Look at it from this angle. You post up a rifle for sale thinking you'll get a little first page airtime. A day maybe?Thats helps sell. Joe Schlock decides to bump his 14 ads for 14 sets of scope mounts and boom..you're second page and sinking.

I guess I'm from the school that says just because something is functional doesn't mean you can't keep tweeking to make it better. My marketing background. Some folks are just content with same old same old I guess and thats fine too. Just throwing a few ideas at you that might help "attract" some clicks and maybe a few new faces to the site. Bucking a trend if you will.
Old 02-09-2023, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Tks for proving my point. More ads because its ok to post 12 scope mounts in 12 separate ads on GP. Not ok on CGN. Now take a look at the number and quality of sponsors on CGN. Kind of important? Pretty much every major firearms retailer in Canada. Gunpost? Crickets. One step up from Townposts firearms garage sale.

Complicating things is having very broad sales categories. Everything rifles, shotguns, rimfires, blacks, ammunition, reloading and ammo in one category is a big chunk. When categories are that broad sellers don't get a lot of prime sell time in top pages yeah? Translates to fewer sellers starting threads.

Look at it from this angle. You post up a rifle for sale thinking you'll get a little first page airtime. A day maybe?Thats helps sell. Joe Schlock decides to bump his 14 ads for 14 sets of scope mounts and boom..you're second page and sinking.

I guess I'm from the school that says just because something is functional doesn't mean you can't keep tweeking to make it better. My marketing background. Some folks are just content with same old same old I guess and thats fine too. Just throwing a few ideas at you that might help "attract" some clicks and maybe a few new faces to the site. Bucking a trend if you will.

Here ya go, time to sell it to the bosses…….

There are no absolutes
Old 02-09-2023, 10:54 PM

If only there were somebody smart enough, with all the right answers to run the show, then AO would be a proper forum that people would appreciate. *sigh*

I guess we will just have to keep sucking along. It's unfortunate there isn't a budget to hire competent folks, and have a better platform.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-09-2023, 11:09 PM

Seems like the only thing missing in this thread is some cheese.
Closed Thread